Menu

When is your Sunday school?

In threads with problems with Sunday school, I always see people advise to "just take them to the service with you." I have never been to a church that held Sunday school during the service. All the churches that I've noticed around us advertise their SS between services or before or after. What des your church do? What kind of church do you attend if your SS is at the same time as the service?

I go to a non-denominational church, and what we would consider to be "Sunday School" (or kids' church, or something like that) is held during the regular church service. There is no adult Sunday School; instead we have small groups that meet throughout the week at different members' homes.

I grew up in a Baptist church where we had Sunday School (everyone) and then the regular church service. As a child, I went to Sunday School and then sat with my parents during the regular service.

I go to a non-denominational church, and what we would consider to be "Sunday School" (or kids' church, or something like that) is held during the regular church service. There is no adult Sunday School; instead we have small groups that meet throughout the week at different members' homes.

I grew up in a Baptist church where we had Sunday School (everyone) and then the regular church service. As a child, I went to Sunday School and then sat with my parents during the regular service.

The bolded part for us too :001_smile:

Many Episcopal churches have it set up so the kids do a Sunday School (but it seems to always be called something different) during the first part of the regular service, then they come in and sit with their parents the second part of the service. I really like this approach.

I'm LDS. Our sacrament meeting (main service in the chapel) is first for one hour and ten minutes. Sunday School is after that for 50 minutes, then men and women separate for another 50 minute meeting after that.

Children 18 months and older attend nursery for the second and third hour of church, and children from 3-12 attend Primary. Teens have their own Sunday School and youth meetings during that same time.

Many Episcopal churches have it set up so the kids do a Sunday School (but it seems to always be called something different) during the first part of the regular service, then they come in and sit with their parents the second part of the service. I really like this approach.

We're Episcopal. We have Sunday school between two services. During the service, right before the gospel reading, kids from 4-10 can (but don't have to) go to "children's chapel." They stay gone during the gospel reading, sermon, creed, prayers, and confession. They come back during the peace. During children's chapel, they talk about something having to do with the readings for the day and do a related activity.

Edited by kebg11

I'm LDS. Our sacrament meeting (main service in the chapel) is first for one hour and ten minutes. Sunday School is after that for 50 minutes, then men and women separate for another 50 minute meeting after that.

Children 18 months and older attend nursery for the second and third hour of church, and children from 3-12 attend Primary. Teens have their own Sunday School and youth meetings during that same time.

Ditto. During Sacrament meeting there isn't any other option besides the foyer or the parking lot for unruly children. :tongue_smilie:

I go to a Lutheran church (LCMS). Sunday School is for an hour between the two church services. There is also "children's church" during part of the 11am church service (the kids leave when the sermon starts and return later). But my kids come with me and sit through the 8:30am service. Afterwards we go to separate Sunday School classes.

I go to a Baptist church. We have worship services at 8:00AM, 9:30AM and 11:00AM. There is Sunday School during the last two hours. Which hour you to to ss or church depends on what class you choose. Both ourselves and our son go to SS class during the second hour and worship service during the 3rd hour. Kids attend both beginning in 1st grade. Before that, they have two hours of SS while the parents go to SS and worship.

All the churches that I've noticed around us advertise their SS between services or before or after. What des your church do? What kind of church do you attend if your SS is at the same time as the service?

I've attended Unitarian Universalist churches and fellowships for the last 25 years or so. The first one I attended was a small fellowship, and they did have Sunday school during the service.

The next one had Sunday school during the service when I first started attending. They then began offering two services each Sunday, and Sunday school was offered during one of them but not the other. So, families had choices about scheduling.

Our current church had Sunday school before the service (which I much prefer) until this past year. At that point, they switched to a two-service schedule, with Sunday school for both adults and kids offered in between the services. We didn't attend much last year, and my son did not participate in religious education very much. So, I don't have an opinion yet about this approach.

Catholic. They're in service with us ever week, and in the fall they have CCD AND have church on Sunday. *g*

Same here. Though, at our 10am Sunday Mass, some Sundays there is a 15-20 minute dismissal for all kids (if they want) called the Children's Liturgy. Basically they leave before the first reading and return after the homily. It's nothing official and we have yet to figure out the rhyme or reason as to which Sunday. But, if we are at the 10am service and they do it, our boys will go. But, they are with us for the beginning of the Mass and everything following the homily (and if there is no dismissal or if we go to a different time, they are with us for it all). CCD begins in the fall during the week in addition to Sunday Mass.

Edited by MyLittleWonders
saved a kitten

:iagree: That's the way it's been done in the three parishes I've been involved with. I love being able to focus on the sermon and readings and not have to worry about keeping them quiet. But I also want them to be there for the Eucharist, hymns, blessing... They like Godly Play (Sunday School program) and it's really much more accessible to them than the sermon anyway.