Menu

S/O low carb, fats...what for my husband.

He says he wants to do a "low carb" diet and to cook for that the best I can...

He is 32, maybe 40 pounds overweight, has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, has a major family history of diabetes(mom, dad, brother, 2 grandmas and the majority of his 26 aunts and uncles are diabetic or pre diabetic) and morbid obesity in his immediate family.

He says that flour products leave him hungry within an hour, he can eat and eat and not feel full, and he crashes every afternoon around 2.

He's a truck driver and brown bags it with sandwiches. His new job is only about 1/3 as physical as his old job and he wants to get a handle on what to eat now that he's past 30.

I'm a classic calories in, calories out person.

I'm thinking a plate should be 1/2 veggies, 1/4 fruit, 1/4 meat, eggs, or dairy? No soda or juice, just water? What about brown rice or whole grain bread or pasta?

My suggestions: Drop all grains and sugar, don't worry about the fat.

If he can do that, it will make a world of difference. After that, move onto tweaking his fat intake to healthy fats. He doesn't need a low fat diet, he needs a good fat diet. For lunch, he needs to make friends with veggies. Meat, veggies, nuts, fruit. Breakfast should feature eggs and some veggies (I do a lot of avocado, spinach, onions, peppers) or a green smoothie (eggs fill me way better than smoothies). Dinner is the easiest because it's probably close to what you already do, just drop the carb side dish. I do a ton of leftover dinners for lunch.

He says he wants to do a "low carb" diet and to cook for that the best I can...

He is 32, maybe 40 pounds overweight, has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, has a major family history of diabetes(mom, dad, brother, 2 grandmas and the majority of his 26 aunts and uncles are diabetic or pre diabetic) and morbid obesity in his immediate family.

He says that flour products leave him hungry within an hour, he can eat and eat and not feel full, and he crashes every afternoon around 2.

He sounds like a ideal candidate for low carb

He's a truck driver and brown bags it with sandwiches. His new job is only about 1/3 as physical as his old job and he wants to get a handle on what to eat now that he's past 30.

My DW brings in lunch everyday. Does he have a way to reheat, or is he stuck with cold options?

I'm a classic calories in, calories out person.

I'm thinking a plate should be 1/2 veggies, 1/4 fruit, 1/4 meat, eggs, or dairy? No soda or juice, just water? What about brown rice or whole grain bread or pasta?

If you're really going low carb, I'd skip the grains. And that plate sounds like too much fruit for me. My plates are usualy 1/2 veggie, 1/2 meat (SMALL PLATE) plus a side salad. Fruit is dessert or a treat. I drink water or unsweetened tea. No soda or juice for sure, those have a ton of sugar (unless you get diet, which has all the chemicals...)

You can cook a meat+veg+grain meal for everyone, and just not give him the grain, if you don't want to join him. He may need some additional fat to keep him satisfied depending on what kind of meat. Nuts, cheese, avocado, etc are good fat sources.

If he can do that, it will make a world of difference. After that, move onto tweaking his fat intake to healthy fats. He doesn't need a low fat diet, he needs a good fat diet. For lunch, he needs to make friends with veggies. Meat, veggies, nuts, fruit. Breakfast should feature eggs and some veggies (I do a lot of avocado, spinach, onions, peppers) or a green smoothie (eggs fill me way better than smoothies). Dinner is the easiest because it's probably close to what you already do, just drop the carb side dish. I do a ton of leftover dinners for lunch.

Thanks!

He doesn't eat breakfast right now exactly, he eats a sandwich and some fruit around 7 am. He works 4 days from 3-4am until 5-8pm and is in a truck or at a rig during the day.

I was thinking a salad and some kind of high fiber wrap with meat, cheese, and veggies?

What about beans and fish?

Thanks!

He doesn't eat breakfast right now exactly, he eats a sandwich and some fruit around 7 am. He works 4 days from 3-4am until 5-8pm and is in a truck or at a rig during the day.

I was thinking a salad and some kind of high fiber wrap with meat, cheese, and veggies?

What about beans and fish?

Fish is good. Beans are a grey area for a lot of folks. Personally I got rid of them for awhile just to help ensure success, and plan to try to add them back in and see what happens.

How about a salad with the meat ON it? that's what I do for Dh. Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers sometimes, onion, and then some left over chicken, barbecued pork, tuna, salmon from a can, etc. Cheese and some homemade dressing.

He'd do well if he can get breakfast to set his metabolism for the day. Would that be possible (at home if he can so hot/less transportable food is an option)?

He can heat up other stuff so in a better position than your husband but mine tries to do high protein/fat and low carb. He does do nuts and seeds. That would be portable for snacking and such. My husband does tend to do salads with meat a lot but he needs more fat than that to feel full. I think that's where the nuts come in.

I just noticed you mentioned how early he starts. That would make a hot breakfast harder. My husband heats up eggs and meat from the freezer many mornings.

Edited by sbgrace

He sounds like a ideal candidate for low carb

My DW brings in lunch everyday. Does he have a way to reheat, or is he stuck with cold options?

Cold and portable options, he's a truck driver and works 14-16 hour days. He has a decent sized cooler he carries with him, but he eats in the truck when he's waiting his turn to deliver a load.

Cold and portable options, he's a truck driver and works 14-16 hour days. He has a decent sized cooler he carries with him, but he eats in the truck when he's waiting his turn to deliver a load.

I'd go with lots of big meaty salads. You can get low carb wraps but I can't say that I've ever tried one, maybe someone else has experience there. We do chicken salad (w/mayo, nuts, celery, and grapes) a lot for a cold lunch. You can serve it on lettuce or on a half an avocado.

You know, I was just read THIS about Diabetes and low carb. I've been all over MArk's Daily Apple today, looking for more ideas and recipes. It's a great article and gives me some hope that we can heal ourselves if we eat the right stuff (which I've always believed, but never wanted to take action with).

WHen I was a waitress way back, there was this one breakfast that people ordered by the tableful. It was called Bliss. Cause it is.

Scrambled eggs.

Fold a quarter block of warmed cream cheese onto the eggs.

Add in at least two pieces of bacon, chopped, and a few tablespoons of chives. Top with salt and pepper.

If I were you, I'd start him off with about 4 scrambled eggs, and make him Bliss. It's not terrible eaten cold.

Then, for lunch, a salad, topped with chicken, steak, or some hard boiled eggs. Change it up every day. Give him a small cup like container to hold some dressing in --make it yourself! Dressing is a sneaky source of sugar!.

Edited by justamouse

They do sell low carb wraps.

Beans are pretty high, but I have some from time to time. Fish is good.

Thanks. No beans....this is such a weird time for me. We're going from a miniscule grocery budget where beans, potatoes, pasta and rice are the bulk of our meals to being in a much better position and now I have to overhaul DH's diet!

How about a salad with the meat ON it? that's what I do for Dh. Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers sometimes, onion, and then some left over chicken, barbecued pork, tuna, salmon from a can, etc. Cheese and some homemade dressing.

That's a good idea, I bet he'd go for that. Thank you!

He'd do well if he can get breakfast to set his metabolism for the day. Would that be possible (at home if he can so hot/less transportable food is an option)?

He can heat up other stuff so in a better position than your husband but mine tries to do high protein/fat and low carb. He does do nuts and seeds. That would be portable for snacking and such. My husband does tend to do salads with meat a lot but he needs more fat than that to feel full. I think that's where the nuts come in.

I just noticed you mentioned how early he starts. That would make a hot breakfast harder. My husband heats up eggs and meat from the freezer many mornings.

I could try the eggs and see, often he doesn't feel like eating at 3:30 am though. Maybe if he could grab and go. It's worth a shot. Thank you!

I keep forgetting about the nuts! He loves almonds, so I can get those for snacks and put, maybe, sunflower seeds on his salad.

Low carb, high fat, high protein. Low carb alone won't do the trick. :-)

Your best bet is to get the Atkins book and read it, because there's a method to it.

The short story is no carbs--no pasta, no rice (brown or white, it's still a carb), no bread (not even "low-carb" bread), no beans, no fruit except for berries and melons. No fruit juices. Water, water, water. As much protein as possible: beef, chicken, eggs, fish, pork. Butter and olive oil are your friends.

OK, when we drive to FL, we all eat hard boiled eggs and cold bacon. Don't knock it 'till ya try it. And, yes, always at a rest stop! ;)

Soo, on the wrap thing. Try to have him go off all grain for a week or two. Then start with 1 wrap a week. The only one I like is the Mission Carb Balance, and it's FULL of fiber. I'm up to eating one about 3x a week, and I'm still losing (but remember, I swear that's because bacon is magical! :lol: ) In New Atkins terms it nets to 6 carbs, which after the first couple weeks, where one should be upping their carbs slightly, it should fit in fine.

Just make sure he has baggies of appropriate things on which to snack. I did get headaches that first week, which is why I only stayed at super-low carb for 1 week. I also found that our local convenience store carries Atkins "candy bars" which also helped me through that first week. Unfortunately, all the others they have in the "healthy-junk" section were too high in carbs.

Edited by nono

My DH eats:

-breakfast -- several eggs, fried in butter; black coffee. Bacon or sausage or omelets (mushrooms, cheese, onions -- he makes amazing omelets) on the weekends.

-lunch -- usually leftovers from the night before. He eats almost all protein, usually meat, with some green veggies on the side if we have any (either leftover cooked veggies or cucumbers and dip). Occasionally he'll take leftover salad. He might take some fruit if we have some really good local seasonal fruit; otherwise, he really doesn't eat much fruit.

-snacks -- he doesn't snack too much, but if he's really hungry (he leaves for work at 5:30 am, so he eats lunch at about 11), he'll eat a handful of nuts (mixed, walnuts, almonds at home, peanuts usually if he needs to stop for something) or some cheese or leftover salad.

-dinner -- meat, salad often, and a non-starchy veg or two.

He doesn't like our water's taste, so he drinks homemade iced tea, sweetened with Splenda. (I know, I know, and so does he. He doesn't like the aftertaste of any type of Stevia at all, and if I don't buy Splenda, he won't make the tea or take water; he'll stop and buy diet sodas, which are way worse, IMO, for multiple reasons.)

If I keep carby sweet foods in the house, we both will eat them. Oh, and DH drinks milk sometimes with dinner, or as a snack, raw when we can get it. Plain milk doesn't seem to be a problem for him in an otherwise low-carb diet.

For the salads, there are some good ones here. My kids like Whopper and Big Mac in a Bowl :)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/salad_recipes.html

Beans I would cut out for a while if possible. Once his weight loss is rolling you can try adding things like that back in in small doses and see if it stalls him.

Breakfast: I often make up a big breakfast casserole dish and then we reheat in the micro and eat that for 2-3 days. YOu can even freeze half and use that for the 2nd half of the week.

The casserole in post 4 here is realllllly yummy. I make it for non LC people as a savory brunch dish and people really like it. It reheats well IME.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/574589-looking-breakfast-casserole.html

Better than quiche ricotta pie if he can tolerate that much dairy (some people like to do Atkins "rungs" which add in more dairy, berries, etc. over time).

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/485749-better-then-quiche-ricotta-pie.html

Crustless quiches here are good:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/meatless_recipes.html

scroll down a bit for quiches

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pork_recipes.html

You can use up leftovers in egg bakes, frittatas, breakfast casseroles-throw in the extra veggies from dinner (spinach, kale, whatever). You can make the quiches, etc. in a muffin tin and have individual servings.

My kids like egg salad and chicken salad for breakfast. Easy to make one day and eat for 2-3 days.

eta: I get the stevia thing, but have you ever tried NuNaturals? By far the least bitter IME. You could also powder erythritol and try sweetening tea with that, although ideally he'd use no sweetener.

Your best bet is to get the Atkins book and read it, because there's a method to it.

The short story is no carbs--no pasta, no rice (brown or white, it's still a carb), no bread (not even "low-carb" bread), no beans, no fruit except for berries and melons. No fruit juices. Water, water, water. As much protein as possible: beef, chicken, eggs, fish, pork. Butter and olive oil are your friends.

:iagree: If you go on the atkins website, they will send you a free booklet about atkins. It covers most of what you'll need to know, plus sample meal plans, etc. I'm not big on the atkins bars, etc (I prefer real food to bars) but otherwise it's a pretty good plan.

A hot food container like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-JAE14-Bento-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000246GSE/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1342727549&sr=1-17&keywords=keep+it+hot

would make it easier to move away from sandwiches.

Soups would probably be a good choice. I'd take a look at the new Atkins cookbook and see if there are some soup recipes that appeal.

OK, when we drive to FL, we all eat hard boiled eggs and cold bacon. Don't knock it 'till ya try it. And, yes, always at a rest stop! ;)

Soo, on the wrap thing. Try to have him go off all grain for a week or two. Then start with 1 wrap a week. The only one I like is the Mission Carb Balance, and it's FULL of fiber. I'm up to eating one about 3x a week, and I'm still losing (but remember, I swear that's because bacon is magical! :lol: ) In New Atkins terms it nets to 6 carbs, which after the first couple weeks, where one should be upping their carbs slightly, it should fit in fine.

Just make sure he has baggies of appropriate things on which to snack. I did get headaches that first week, which is why I only stayed at super-low carb for 1 week. I also found that our local convenience store carries Atkins "candy bars" which also helped me through that first week. Unfortunately, all the others they have in the "healthy-junk" section were too high in carbs.

You are The Bacon Queen.

A hot food container like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-SL-JAE14-Bento-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000246GSE/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1342727549&sr=1-17&keywords=keep+it+hot

Soups would probably be a good choice. I'd take a look at the new Atkins cookbook and see if there are some soup recipes that appeal.

Gasp! I MUST get that! That s perfet for my Dh!

:iagree: If you go on the atkins website, they will send you a free booklet about atkins. It covers most of what you'll need to know, plus sample meal plans, etc. I'm not big on the atkins bars, etc (I prefer real food to bars) but otherwise it's a pretty good plan.

Yeah on the bars...I don"t use them as a meal replacement but as a pick me up when I still have a couple hours drive to go. The do really well in a pinch!

During week one I had one everyday. Funny thing is I don't have a sweet tooth. They were so amazing to me because they weren't"t too sweet.:D

Edited by nono

:iagree::iagree:

Protein and good fats are your friends! Olive oil and butter are great! When he eats plenty of protein and fats, he won't be hungry! :D

Sugar and refined carbs are your worst enemies! Read labels! Processed foods are loaded with sugars.

Beware the starchy veggies too, at least at first. Root veggies are very high on the glycemic index, though certainly good for you in general.

My DH also takes his lunch - usually dinner leftovers or a salad with chx/meat/fish in it. Dinners here are generally meat/protein and three veggies.

I do a side dish of grains or beans or occasionally pasta for kids. Dh snacks on fresh fruit in moderation, cheese, nuts, eggs, veggies with creamy dip like ranch (made with homemade mayo and buttermilk and fresh herbs -yum!)

Low carb recipes aren't hard to find on the web or even on this board! :D

PM me if you want a few of my DH's faves.

We try to stay away from fake sweets. We do occasionally splurge with the real thing - real maple syrup on oatmeal for instance. Or homemade jam mixed into plain yogurt. When trying to lose weight, a bit of good dark chocolate helps me overcome cravings.

This way of living/eating has helped me lose 30 lbs (and keep it off) and shifted my cholesterol numbers significantly for the better. I was almost type 2 diabetic - definitely insulin resistant. Now blood sugar is normal.

Yeah on the bars...I don"t use them as a meal replacement but as a pick me up when I still have a couple hours drive to go. The do really well in a pinch!

During week one I had one everyday. Funny thing is I don't have a sweet tooth. They were so amazing to me because they weren't"t too sweet.:D

I had the opposite problem. I'd been doing fine on paleo (no bars, etc) for a few weeks, and had mostly lost my sweet tooth. Then I discovered the caramel nut atkins bars. They're good. REALLY good. And they gave me back my sweet tooth. I don't buy them anymore, they start me down a slippery slope.

But they were good. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you, I will look into the book. The website has a ton of information too, so hopefully I can use that and get the book from the library or cheap. I already saw that they recommend 4-6 oz of protein per meal, 8 if he's a tall guy(and he's 6'5). This is going to be interesting to budget for!

Thanks. The wrap information helped. I'll have to try the eggs for him once it cools down. We've had some bad luck with egg or tuna salad sitting in his cooler in the truck while the outside temp is 103+ and he's out in the field for 40+ minutes at a time.

My DH eats:

-breakfast -- several eggs, fried in butter; black coffee. Bacon or sausage or omelets (mushrooms, cheese, onions -- he makes amazing omelets) on the weekends.

-lunch -- usually leftovers from the night before. He eats almost all protein, usually meat, with some green veggies on the side if we have any (either leftover cooked veggies or cucumbers and dip). Occasionally he'll take leftover salad. He might take some fruit if we have some really good local seasonal fruit; otherwise, he really doesn't eat much fruit.

-snacks -- he doesn't snack too much, but if he's really hungry (he leaves for work at 5:30 am, so he eats lunch at about 11), he'll eat a handful of nuts (mixed, walnuts, almonds at home, peanuts usually if he needs to stop for something) or some cheese or leftover salad.

-dinner -- meat, salad often, and a non-starchy veg or two.

He doesn't like our water's taste, so he drinks homemade iced tea, sweetened with Splenda. (I know, I know, and so does he. He doesn't like the aftertaste of any type of Stevia at all, and if I don't buy Splenda, he won't make the tea or take water; he'll stop and buy diet sodas, which are way worse, IMO, for multiple reasons.)

If I keep carby sweet foods in the house, we both will eat them. Oh, and DH drinks milk sometimes with dinner, or as a snack, raw when we can get it. Plain milk doesn't seem to be a problem for him in an otherwise low-carb diet.

Thanks for the rundown. That's really helpful This looks do able for the days he is home. We eat a lot of corn, peas, and carrots so that will be another switch for him. :)

My DH doesn't love water and has been drinking diet soda and Gatorade, but is going to switch to a lot more water and try Crystal Light. We bought a Britta filter for our water when we didn't like the taste and it helped a lot.

Bacon is magical. Bacon grease is magical too. Don't throw that out. Use it to cook veggies and stuff.

:svengo: I....I try to follow a Weight Watchers model of eating and have been trying to cut down on meat and fats. I'm listening and willing, but some of this is so far from everything I've ever done.

Thank you! My husband thanks you all too, particularly those of you who mentioned eating more bacon. ;)

For the salads, there are some good ones here. My kids like Whopper and Big Mac in a Bowl :)

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/salad_recipes.html

Beans I would cut out for a while if possible. Once his weight loss is rolling you can try adding things like that back in in small doses and see if it stalls him.

Breakfast: I often make up a big breakfast casserole dish and then we reheat in the micro and eat that for 2-3 days. YOu can even freeze half and use that for the 2nd half of the week.

The casserole in post 4 here is realllllly yummy. I make it for non LC people as a savory brunch dish and people really like it. It reheats well IME.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/574589-looking-breakfast-casserole.html

Better than quiche ricotta pie if he can tolerate that much dairy (some people like to do Atkins "rungs" which add in more dairy, berries, etc. over time).

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/485749-better-then-quiche-ricotta-pie.html

Crustless quiches here are good:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/meatless_recipes.html

scroll down a bit for quiches

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pork_recipes.html

You can use up leftovers in egg bakes, frittatas, breakfast casseroles-throw in the extra veggies from dinner (spinach, kale, whatever). You can make the quiches, etc. in a muffin tin and have individual servings.

My kids like egg salad and chicken salad for breakfast. Easy to make one day and eat for 2-3 days.

eta: I get the stevia thing, but have you ever tried NuNaturals? By far the least bitter IME. You could also powder erythritol and try sweetening tea with that, although ideally he'd use no sweetener.

Thank you for the recipes! I made the Big Mac salad for him for tomorrow. He's quite happy with that!

I took a look at the website and they have a ton of info for free. When I have time I need to research the plan in more depth.

And there is a difference between high fiber wraps and low carb wraps. Not all high fiber wraps are low carb. Sometimes they just make breads/wraps with regular flour and add in some fiber. So the carbs are the same as in regular bread.

The ones I get are 5 grams per wrap net carbs (you can subtract the fiber count from the total count of carbs).

In terms of whether or not to go super low and cold turkey depends on the person. It's not a bad idea at the start because it helps control hunger and cravings. If you get that under control you will often find you aren't nearly as hungry and can go quite awhile between meals.

Thanks, that makes sense. I think this week he's going to go super low and we are going to test drive recipes and the time committment and in a week or two, he's going to do the real thing.

That is wonderful! Perfect for him, particularly in the cooler months. He's excited about big, meat filled salads right now! However, he's all about variety, so I need this! Thank you for the link!

Protein and good fats are your friends! Olive oil and butter are great! When he eats plenty of protein and fats, he won't be hungry! :D

Sugar and refined carbs are your worst enemies! Read labels! Processed foods are loaded with sugars.

Beware the starchy veggies too, at least at first. Root veggies are very high on the glycemic index, though certainly good for you in general.

My DH also takes his lunch - usually dinner leftovers or a salad with chx/meat/fish in it. Dinners here are generally meat/protein and three veggies.

I do a side dish of grains or beans or occasionally pasta for kids. Dh snacks on fresh fruit in moderation, cheese, nuts, eggs, veggies with creamy dip like ranch (made with homemade mayo and buttermilk and fresh herbs -yum!)

We try to stay away from fake sweets. We do occasionally splurge with the real thing - real maple syrup on oatmeal for instance. Or homemade jam mixed into plain yogurt. When trying to lose weight, a bit of good dark chocolate helps me overcome cravings.

This way of living/eating has helped me lose 30 lbs (and keep it off) and shifted my cholesterol numbers significantly for the better. I was almost type 2 diabetic - definitely insulin resistant. Now blood sugar is normal.

First congratulations on the weight loss and better health. That's what my husband is hoping for too, along with feeling better day to day. Thank you for the rundown of what a day looks like, I think I can make this work!

Let's see I try to follow Weight Watchers, DS3 is underweight and needs fats, but would live on fruit, veggies, and yogurt so he's a challenge to cook for sometimes, DD is starting solid foods and wants flavor and DH wants to do low carb. Eek, I'll be in the kitchen a lot. We all love stir fries with homemade sauces, so maybe add more veggies to those and just refuse to give DH the rice. :D At least I already know how to make whole milk yogurt that everyone loves....

Thanks to everyone for all your help, I hope I didn't miss replying to anyone. If I did I apologize. The information here is very helpful!

Reading others experiences is so encouraging! I really hope dropping grains/sugar will help me.