Menu

"Low(er) Carb Recipes" Thread

I also make puddings. I LOVE pumpkin pudding. It's basically like the pumpkin pie without crust, baked in to individual ramekins.

Coconut milk chocolate pudding:

1 ounce dark chocolate chopped

1 tblsp cocoa powder

pinch salt

2 tblsp xylitol or sugar sub

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cup coconut milk

2 tblsp arrowroot powder

I throw it all in my vitamix and then simmer until thick. You don't have to boil it like cornstarch.

I forgot Bliss!

Scrambled eggs (2). Softly, lightly scrambled. Channel Julia.

1/4 block of cream cheese, warmed.

2 pieces of cooked, chopped bacon.

2 tbsp chives.

Warm the cheese, and fold in the eggs, add bacon and chives, fold a few more times.

Top with some salt and pepper to taste.

It's so unassuming. When I was a waitress, we used to sell tablefulls of it (served on english muffins, of course) and people used to line up out the door.

I forgot Bliss!

2 tbsp chives.

Warm the cheese, and fold in the eggs, add bacon and chives, fold a few more times.

It's so unassuming. When I was a waitress, we used to sell tablefulls of it (served on english muffins, of course) and people used to line up out the door.

Today I did eggs (pretty green ones from my own hens) and yummy homemade formage blanche from my goats. The only thing I didn't have was the bacon! It was so yummy!!!!

The formage blanche culture with the tangy goats milk is soooooo good!!!

Today I did eggs (pretty green ones from my own hens) and yummy homemade formage blanche from my goats. The only thing I didn't have was the bacon! It was so yummy!!!!

The formage blanche culture with the tangy goats milk is soooooo good!!!

You know, only you could make me up and want to move to TX, and be your neighbor, scorpions, spiders and all (I'm totally down on armadillos, though). That sounds amazing.

Here's one we like: No pasta, no bread crumbs, lots of taste!

Eggplant Parmesan

2-3 eggplant, 1/2" wide slices

3-4 eggs, beaten

1 jar of cheap parmesan cheese (in the jar)

Italian seasoning

1 lb ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced

minced garlic

small bell pepper, chopped

1 jar of spaghetti sauce (plain or tomato basil is best)

3 cups of shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Toss Italian seasoning with parmesan. Coat eggplant slices in egg, then cheap parmesan. Place on greased cookie sheet for 25 minutes.

3. While eggplant bakes, sauté onions, mush and pepper on olive oil until soft. Remove. Brown ground beef and add veggies back in. Add garlic and sauce. * Most jars are not a full qt. anymore, so add enough water to make a full 32 oz. Usually 1 C. * Can add a splash of red wine too. Simmer 15-30 minutes.

4. Assemble in 9x13 pan. Sauce, eggplant, cheese – repeat. End with cheese. And more parmesan on top, the good stuff if you have it! Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil for 5 mins or so to brown the top.

Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes before cutting.

This can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking.

This is REALLY good. I made it for a snack for the kids and I. You could sub bacon for the pancetta:

1 thick slice pancetta

Grated zukes, salted and squeezed in a jelly strainer bag. I used 2 and one yellow crook neck, first from my garden, yay!

1 egg

I like a cast iron skillet. Dice pancetta and fry until crispy, transfer to paper towel lined plate. Beat the egg, and toss with the zucchini. Make mounds in the pan of the zukes about the size of your fist only flat. Or whatever just as long as they are easy to flip. Fry until crispy IN the bacon fat of course, then flip and fry again. When they are almost done, top with the diced pancetta/bacon, and sprinkle with a little mozzarella or parmesan. Pop on a lid to melt quickly. I can't handle fresh mozza, but I can do a little parm/pecornio. Sprinkle with fresh basil and eat. :D

forgot to write up the recipe.

1/2 bag fresh spinach (chopped up)

1 tbsp olive oil

mushrooms (chopped up) I used a larger size container

8 eggs

1 c. sour cream

180 grams of Feta cheese (crumbled)

a sprinkle of salt

grease pie plate and muffin papers

preheat oven to 350 F

heat oil in pan

heat mushrooms and spinach in oil for about 1 minute

combine eggs and sour cream(mix well), stir in feta cheese and spinach mixture. add salt. mix well.

pour 1/4 c. into 12(greased) cupcake papers and the remaining amount in a (greased)pie plate.

cook @ 350 F uncovered for 35 minutes or until set.

cool slightly before cutting.

if interested with my ingredients it worked out to 2(1.5) points per serving for WW or 1 gram of carbs per serving.

Chicken, green bean, red pepper, and chestnut curry stirfry

**measurements are approximate**

8 chicken thighs without bone or skin salted and cut into bite size pieces

3 tbsp coconut oil

2 garlic cloves minced

1 tbsp grated ginger

3-4 cups green beans cleaned and cut

1 whole red pepper cut into strips

small can of sliced chestnuts (chestnuts are high in carbs and can be omitted)

1 cup coconut milk

3 tbsp curry powder

small package of roasted cashews

Heat 2 tbs of coconut oil in a large stirfry pan at medium high heat

brown the chicken until a bit crispy

remove chicken from pan and set aside

add 1 tbsp of coconut oil to pan

add garlic and ginger wait 30 seconds and

add green beans, red peppers, and chestnuts - stir around a bit

add chicken back to the pan

warm the coconut milk in a microwave - just warm not hot

add curry powder to coconut milk and whisk

add this mixture to the pan

stir and allow to warm

serve with crushed cashews on top.

Use beef, pork, shrimp, or scallops instead of chicken if you like.

Use whatever veggies you like.

Italian sausage and peppers

4-6 sweet Italian sausages

4 yellow Italian peppers cut into chunks/strips

1 red pepper cut into chunks/strips

1 vidalia onion cut into medium sized pieces and separated

2 tbsp olive oil

1 garlic clove

grill or fry the sausages as you like

heat pan and add olive oil and garlic

add all peppers and onion

allow the peppers and onions to fry until slightly browned and softened

cut the sausage (or leave them whole if you like) and add to the pan

mix and heat

serve :D

Oh and I made a really nutty concoction that turned out really good..

1 envelope of Knorr Vegetable recipe soup mix

4 cups hot mashed cauliflower

1 cup of shredded cheese (whatever you like)

1 egg slightly beaten

pepper to taste

DO NOT ADD SALT TO ANYTHING.

Combine everything, put in buttered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.

Who needs salt all you get with a Knorr chemical-bomb? Massive amounts of salt, MSG, sugar and hydrogenated transfats. Pure crap!

This is the sort of stuff that destroys the palate.

Bill

We'd be happy to have your recipes here, Bill, but please refrain from criticizing others. Different strokes for different folks.

Who needs salt all you get with a Knorr chemical-bomb? Massive amounts of salt, MSG, sugar and hydrogenated transfats. Pure crap!

Bill

Bill

Bill, I'm thinking you should have a dash of that sugar right about now.

I have to thank everyone for all the contributions. MIch elle, I am so making both those recipes.

I made it yesterday for the first time with the kale instead of spinach and the turnip instead of potato and it tasted great the first day right after cooking but the next day it tasted like vinegar. Maybe too many sulfur vegs??

Makes 12. So, have nothing to do for the rest of the day, or only make this when you are having a party.

1/4 bouillon cube dissolved in 3/4 c warm water

1 tsp. horseradish

64 oz tomato juice

1 tsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. salt (probably redundant but we use it)

1 tsp. pepper

3 tbs. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. Tabasco

12 oz vodka

Combine ingredients in a large pitcher filled with ice.

Now you're talkin':D

Post away. Don't worry if it's clean enough/whole enough/low enough. I ask that the Perfect Food Police be kind if visiting this thread. I know I have certain "no go" ingredients that I swear embody Satan himself, but really, do I need to impart that personal belief to someone kind enough to share something here? Probably not.

Bill

15 yard penalty to SpyCar for violating this thread's rule. SpyCar, you may get the 15 yd. penalty removed by posting a recipe. If not, 3rd down and LONG!

I forgot Bliss!

2 tbsp chives.

Do you suppose a very thick yogurt cheese would work in place of the cream cheese? I make whole milk yogurt and strain it until it has the consistency of cream cheese because that's the way we prefer it anyway, so it's on hand and this sounds delicious!

I'm with you beer addicts. If I could give up beer I'm sure I'd drop 20lbs like that *snap*. But I live in beervana. So many good beers, so little time...

Sigh. I love where I live. But living in beervana sure sounds nice! Sigh....

Do you suppose a very thick yogurt cheese would work in place of the cream cheese? I make whole milk yogurt and strain it until it has the consistency of cream cheese because that's the way we prefer it anyway, so it's on hand and this sounds delicious!

Well, cream cheese has a sweetness to it, but the only way to see is to try! It might be tangy instead, but that sounds good.

I'm sure you could try it with goat cheese, too.

Dh and I have been trying the LCHF diet. I'm been a little tired of eggs over easy with a couple of strips of bacon. I did a little spin on it. This is a recipe for 2 people:

Fry 4 strips of bacon. Drain on a paper towel and remove most of the grease. Chop up and set aside.

Chop up about 2 T. of onion or to taste (I used purple and some green onion) and fry up in some of the remaining bacon grease.

Add 2 wedges of Laughing Cow Light mozzarella sun-dried tomato and Basil cheese and smoosh around to soften.

Scramble up 4 eggs in the pan. Add the chopped bacon. Mix thoroughly and enjoy!

Well, cream cheese has a sweetness to it, but the only way to see is to try! It might be tangy instead, but that sounds good.

I'm sure you could try it with goat cheese, too.

The kind of cream cheese I make is heavenly. It's Polish farmer cheese (twarog). It starts with a buttermilk culture in whole milk and heavy cream, then strained. OMG, it is sweet and rich, SO good. I beat it with fruit as a dessert. It needs zero sugar. I hesitated to post a recipe because I'm not sure anyone wants to have to make homemade cheese in order to make things. We eat this a ton. What is weird, is when I am LCHF I can tolerate plenty of Greek yogurt, and twarog. It is also heaven with an alternative potato dish. Traditionally you fry onions in butter, then toss with mashed potatoes and twarog, but I recently did this with cauliflower and parsnips and WOW. I still do the potatoes on occasion for DH and the kids but I cook up cauli and parsnips and then just mash them.

I feel awesome lately :D

So many great recipes to try! Thanks everyone. Moira, did you make those deviled eggs? That is one of my favorite foods.:drool:

I'm with you beer addicts. If I could give up beer I'm sure I'd drop 20lbs like that *snap*. But I live in beervana. So many good beers, so little time...

Tell me about it. :D

I made the eggs, and while they weren't as pretty as the picture, they were delicious.

The kind of cream cheese I make is heavenly. It's Polish farmer cheese (twarog). It starts with a buttermilk culture in whole milk and heavy cream, then strained. OMG, it is sweet and rich, SO good. I beat it with fruit as a dessert. It needs zero sugar. I hesitated to post a recipe because I'm not sure anyone wants to have to make homemade cheese in order to make things. We eat this a ton. What is weird, is when I am LCHF I can tolerate plenty of Greek yogurt, and twarog. It is also heaven with an alternative potato dish. Traditionally you fry onions in butter, then toss with mashed potatoes and twarog, but I recently did this with cauliflower and parsnips and WOW. I still do the potatoes on occasion for DH and the kids but I cook up cauli and parsnips and then just mash them.

I feel awesome lately :D

You need to tell us how to do this. Please?

I made the paleo sweet omelet yesterday, and it was a nice change from the regular eggs/omelets I've been eating. I toasted a handful of walnuts in a skillet with some butter. Then I removed the walnuts and added more butter. I beat two eggs and added a splash of vanilla, and then I added that mixture to the skillet, just like for a regular omelet. When it was a bit set, I added a couple of dollops of cream cheese, the walnuts, and a sprinkling of cinnamon; then I folded it all over like an omelet. It wasn't super sweet, but it was good.

I think I'm making meatloaf for dinner tonight, stuffed with spinach and mozzarella cheese, with some sort of cauliflower dish on the side, and either a salad or coleslaw.

I am looking at the various recipes for coconut, chocolate, and sweetener. I want to try some sort of fudge or something. DH has agreed to bring home some shredded coconut and dark chocolate.

A week ago I did deviled eggs with chopped bacon added. YUM. You really cannot have too much bacon right?! :D
I'm reasonably sure this is a factual statement rather than mere speculation.

You need to tell us how to do this. Please?

It's super easy. You do need a good buttermilk culture though. I have had the same one for years. I just like this better than yogurt "cheese." It's sweeter/less tang. It does not use rennet, but for a cream cheese sub that gets firmer and faster I use THIS recipe but with whole cow milk not goat. You can add heavy cream too, but it really is rich and sweet on it's own.

Twarog:

You can expect about 3/4 pound cheese from 2 quarts of milk. And oh the gloriousness of whey :D. I make lemonade for the kids with it.

To 2 quarts of room temp milk, add 2 tblsp buttermilk in a pot in which you will later heat. This only takes overnight for me, because I have a very active culture. Heat until about 100 degrees and keep for an hour at that temp. I have an oven with a proof function and a dehydrate function, so I just use my oven. Once the curds separate from the whey, scoop them in to a straining bag. I have a huge jelly strainer bag for this. Once the dripping stops at room temp, I transfer it to hang in the fridge over a bowl to become thicker. I have an extra fridge in the garage with the old style wire type shelving, so I put a wooden spoon across, and then tie the bag from below to the wooden spoon....if that makes sense.

This is good with anything! I love it like dip, mixing in some fresh herbs, radishes, green onions, salt/pepper etc. Or sweet by blending it with fruit. It is the best sort of all purpose creamy homemade cheese!

You can also mold/press it to become drier.

I couldn't start with a store buttermilk? Can I get it from the health food store?

I LOVE playing with cheeses and milk and this sounds amazing.

Well hmmm. You *could* if it is like natural buttermilk, though I even tried a Bulgarian one from the Polish store and it eventually fizzled out. The one I bought was mail order and was like $15 or something with shipping. I could mail you some? I have sent my crazy sourdough starter all over the place :lol:

Well hmmm. You *could* if it is like natural buttermilk, though I even tried a Bulgarian one from the Polish store and it eventually fizzled out. The one I bought was mail order and was like $15 or something with shipping. I could mail you some? I have sent my crazy sourdough starter all over the place :lol:

I'll put in an order for both! My bread eaters will love you.

Tonight, for the first time ever, I got to say, "Waiter there's a fly in my beer." I sent it back, even though it would be extra protein.

Oh. My. Wow.

I had to come back here and post this. It's what I just had for dinner and if I were to die right now I'd be perfectly content. This sauce is ridiculous. And it's a good thing I'm allowed the fat, although if I ate like this all the time this dish would have to be served with a side of defibrillator instead of the salad I had tonight.

I give you..............

Grilled Ribeye Steak with Onion Blue Cheese Sauce

2 whole Ribeye Steaks

2 Tablespoons Butter

Salt

Pepper

4 Tablespoons Butter

1 whole Very Large Yellow Onion, Sliced

1 cup Heavy Cream

1/2 cup Crumbled Blue Cheese

Salt and pepper both sides of the steaks. Grill in 2 tablespoons butter until medium rare.

Saute onions in 4 tablespoons butter over high heat. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until dark and caramelized. Reduce heat to simmer and pour in cream. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until reduced by half. Stir in blue cheese until melted. Serve steaks on generous portion of sauce.

Faint.

(P.S. This came from The Pioneer Woman)

It was a lot of sauce for two steaks. We had three, actually, and it would have been perfect if we had some nice crusty dinner rolls to sop up that extra sauce. :tongue_smilie: