Menu

should I register with my state?

I live in Illinois and a formal registration or letter of intent to homeschool is not required but...should I do it anyway?

There are links and forms I can use to accomplish this for my state so it makes me wonder. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just a little back ground info...my son attended the local ps for K & 1st. My daughter has never attended ps. I did not register either of them for ps this year.

I would not do anything more that what is legally required. Since registration is not legally required, I wouldn't do it. If too many people do it, then the powers that be have more of a leg to stand on in making it an actual requirement. BTW, many local BOE websites have misinformation. Even the state BOE can be misleading. They are not a credible source of information on homeschooling laws.

One thing you must do, however, is properly withdraw any children who have been in school. If you do not register them to attend their school this year and do not properly withdraw/transfer them, they may send a truant officer after you. Most people send a letter certified mail (so that you have evidence that they received it) that you are transferring your child to your private school. You can also request their records as well. Once you have done this, you are good to go.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

Every few years, a move is made downstate to require homeschoolers to register. They point to the registrations that are sent voluntarily and ask if these folks register, what are the rest of us hiding? So thanks for not registering when it's not required.

Every few years, a move is made downstate to require homeschoolers to register. They point to the registrations that are sent voluntarily and ask if these folks register, what are the rest of us hiding? So thanks for not registering when it's not required.

Important point!

Similar to this:

I was getting a teacher discount card at a bookstore and they asked for a letter. When I said our state didn't require registration and provided no 'letter' they insisted because other homeschoolers provided a letter (most likely made at home). Well, I was adamant and they finally gave in...it does matter if some homeschoolers start giving beyond what is required by law.

I agree with everyone else do not register UNLESS you have an ex or someone else that would use homeschooling as an excuse to bring CPS into your life. In that case I would consider registering as it can help as a way of procing you simply aren't truant. It doesn't always help but from my experience with having an anti-homeschooling cps worker target us the way we registered made a difference. In my prov we much reg no option not to, but you can chose the level of gov't involvement. It just so happened that the year they came after me I was registered in such a way that according tothe gov't we were p/t public schoolers even though we were homeschoolers doing what we do. It is what got them off my case about hsing because they couldn't say I had to put the kids in ps when according tot he gov't they already were.

Anyway I know reg in your state may not legally make it like they are some how public schooled though they are home, it still may offer some level of CYA protection.

That said if there is no one to cause trouble don't do it. Just stay under the radar imo