Menu

Audio Books to be enjoyed by the entire family?

We are leaving for an 8+ hour trip to the beach next week and I would love to find a couple of audio books that we could listen to in the car. Ds loves audio books and listens to them ALL THE TIME. The problem will be finding something that might be of interest to dd (almost 5), but that will also be interesting to dh and me. Any suggestions?

When my kids were little, we enjoyed Charlotte's Web (I think it was read by the author). Also the Winnie-the-Pooh stories read by Charles Kuralt.

We all still love Hank the Cowdog stories.

Favorite books that we read aloud were: Paddington series, Henry & Ribsy, Ginger Pye, and Owls in the Family. They are probably great on audio.

Roald Dahl books are great as audiobooks - The BFG (Natasha Richardson), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Eric Idol), etc. Percy Jackson was a big hit with our boys when they were 5, and my husband and I drove around a bit after the kids fell asleep on a trip, to listen to parts we'd missed.

I have to say that, as much as I hate reading them, the Junie B. Jones audiobooks are hysterical to listen to.

We're leaving Saturday for a 5 hr. ride to the beach. :)

We're taking the following books on cd (my oldest is 6 and my youngest is 4, so these may be a little young for you guys...)

Frog & Toad collection

2 other Arnold Lobel Collections (we *heart* AL)

a Rachel Yoder book

collection of classic children's tales (billy goats gruff, etc)

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was a fun cd to listen to.

We also liked the My Father's Dragon trilogy on tape...