Menu

Yard sales and pricing

If I am trekking to your house, hoping that you have the right size clothing, for the right gender, and the right season, I expect it to be cheap.

$.50 a piece.

Though I will pay a bit more if its an expensive brand and in outfits.

I think it depends on the area. We had a garage sale a couple weeks ago. I'd read to price things so you have some wiggle room. We hung all the clothing and priced everything individually. Mine was mostly kids' clothing from Gymboree, Hannah Andersson, or the like. I priced things at $3 or $4 each expecting some bargaining. I sold nearly everything at full price!! Nobody questioned it! But, I live in an area that has a lot of money.

Good luck! We made over $650 at our garage sale!

I think it's going to vary widely. Are we talking name brand stuff in great condition? If so, yard sale-ing, here, wouldn't be worth it. At most, I've gotten a dollar out of things... and that was a hassle. Usually I put my really good stuff in a consignment sale and yard sale the play stuff at 50 cents each. Strangely, good stuff, even super cheap at a dollar, will NOT sell at my sales, but throw a stained, out of shape play shirt on the table and ask 50 cents? Done! I can't figure it out.

That said, the consignment sale is kids clothing only, so I'm selling tons and tons of really nice women's clothes at my upcoming yard sale. I'll probably start at $1 each and drop it to 50 cents if nothing sells quickly. People here want to basically have it given to them, which is why I quit doing yard sales. If I didn't have so much stuff to get rid of, I'd just throw it in trash bags and leave it on the thrift store's doorstep.

But, I live in an area that has a lot of money.

This is what's going to make the most difference. Are people yard sale-ing because they like the hunt or because they HAVE TO? Here, we are very economically depressed, most of my yard sale customers are trying to squeak by and they want the most for the least. It isn't that I blame them, I just got tired of sitting in the heat all day to make $50...so I ended up going the donation route most of the time.

We are moving and I have a large bedroom BRIMMING with good clothing for all ages/genders/sizes, toys, books, movies, house wares...I will be lucky to bring in $150. I did put my furniture that I was selling on craigslist. I got $200 for a very nice recliner, I'd have been extraordinarily lucky to get even $20 at a yard sale.

I'm having a sale in the next few weeks, as soon as it cools down a bit. I'm marking the kids clothing at 50 cents. The kids dresses I'll put maybe $2 on them. I just want it all gone by the end of the day and some change in my pocket.:D

I always hang the nicer name brand things on a clothesline and tag them individually $1-$10... depending on the item. I also expect bargaining on those. The rest of the stuff I dump it on a table or tarp (I don't bother folding because they just dig through it anyway) and it's all $.50 a piece.. I drop it to $.25 around 11. ;) Good luck!

I think it depends on the area. We had a garage sale a couple weeks ago. I'd read to price things so you have some wiggle room. We hung all the clothing and priced everything individually. Mine was mostly kids' clothing from Gymboree, Hannah Andersson, or the like. I priced things at $3 or $4 each expecting some bargaining. I sold nearly everything at full price!! Nobody questioned it! But, I live in an area that has a lot of money.

gymboree and hannah andersson at $3-4??? that's cheap!! call me before your next sale!!

robin in nj

The easiest way I've found to do yard sales is to make everything one price (whether $.50 or $1.00), except for a few items that might be priced individually a little bit more. Less preparation headache ahead of time, stuff moves, and you end up with money in your pocket that you didn't have before, and less to haul to the thrift store after. Everyone wins. Obviously, if you do a $1.00 sale there will be things not worth a dollar. Just let people know you know that -- I end up hollering it out as people arrive. That's me -- the yard sale hollerer. :D

I usually do $.50 per item when I sell. It's easier to have one price. If I had better stuff, I might price it at $1 for shirts, $2 for dresses and jeans. But most of my stuff has been through a couple of kids, either as hand me downs or garage sale finds.

I will pay $2 or $3 for pricey stuff in good condition. Also, I'll pay more for older kids clothes in good shape. DS7 is wearing size 8-10 and I find little for him, probably because the other boys beat the carp out of their clothes just like he does. So if I find jeans I'll pay $5 or so.

It does depend on your area, and also what your goal is. If you want to make a good amount, you'll have to price higher and perhaps plan on having 2 or 3 sales to find enough customers. If you want to get rid of stuff, and make a bit in the process, go cheaper so it will move. Our last sale, I made about $150 without selling anything for more than $5. And mostly $0.50 - $1 stuff. The leftovers went to a thrift store.

In my area, I look to spend .50 - 1.00 a piece for good gently used (no stains or holes) kids clothes at yard sales. However, if it is a good quality name brand and in very good condition, I would pay as much as $2 (this would be for jeans or dresses...very rarely would I pay more than $1 for a top). This is just the average of what things go for here where I live. I know if you get closer to the cities, things can go for more. Good luck!

I will second the COLD drink sales from a pp! When I have a garage sale, I usually make cinnamon rolls, mini banana bread, cookies etc. and sell out early on.

In my area, I look to spend .50 - 1.00 a piece for good gently used (no stains or holes) kids clothes at yard sales. However, if it is a good quality name brand and in very good condition, I would pay as much as $2 (this would be for jeans or dresses...very rarely would I pay more than $1 for a top). This is just the average of what things go for here where I live. I know if you get closer to the cities, things can go for more. Good luck!

I will second the COLD drink sales from a pp! When I have a garage sale, I usually make cinnamon rolls, mini banana bread, cookies etc. and sell out early on.

This would be a good sale in my area. I cringe when I hand a couple bucks over for anything, but still appreciate the quality item. I prefer to see it .50 or less, but I guess at some point everything goes us. I remember thinking a quarter for a yard sale shirt was insane. I also remember gas below $2 a gallon so...:tongue_smilie:

At our last yard sale, we made the clothing our loss leader. All kids clothes were marked at 25 and 50 cents- and we stated so in the ad. That got people here, and then they bought the other stuff that was priced a little higher.

And there were some people who were really, really appreciative that they could outfit a child for less than ten bucks. It was nice to do that.

I expect it to be cheaper than consignment but only slightly cheaper than thrift store... Around here that would be at least $1 per item, but I wouldn't hesitate to price things in extra good shape, from a designer name or with special appeal higher.

Around here adult clothes don't really sell -- well, except for one sale that is always right on the corner of a busy street, and they set up all sorts of weird sculpture to accent things which is not for sale, but it brings hipsters and that sort of people in (and I JUST missed buying their bongo drums last month which is still upsetting for me). But even then, I don't think they sell anything that's priced over 3 dollars.

Even kids clothes don't sell at other sales unless they're pretty cheap. Under a dollar, for sure. Don't price each item. It's a thankless task. You'll find yourself calculating your hourly wage and it won't be pretty. Put up a sign that says shirts 25, pants 50, or something like that.

Our church rummage sale does a bag sale in the last half hour. A lot of people show up early and grab all the good stuff, then stand around for hours waiting for the bag sale when they can get it for a dollar a bag. So that tells you what price people are willing to pay around here.

We're in a weird neighborhood where there are fairly wealthy people who do the garage sale circuit for the excitement, as well as people just squeaking by financially (or not).

eta: if you're doing this to make money for yourself, this won't work, but if the sale is for some good cause, people will often be willing to pay a lot more. However, I've seen people trying to take advantage of this tactic by putting up a sign about how this money will send their kid to Europe or something and it doesn't seem to work in that situation. It has to be for the animal shelter or world hunger or something like that.

fwiw, I've totally given up trying to make money with garage sales. I am thrilled that other people still have them, but I like to work for a bit more money.

Edited by flyingiguana

Good question. I think most people expect cheap, less than a dollar. I always have excellent condition boutique clothing and price it higher, $3-7/dress or outfit, and maybe $5-10 for pricey, barely worn shoes. I don't always sell much (it seems to vary wildly), but am okay with that. :P (as it goes on ebay or elsewhere)

Be sure to post the prices clearly...it drives me crazy when I go to a garage sale without prices marked. I seriously just walk away. I'm not gonna search around through everything and then seek out the homeowner and wait while she figures out how much to charge.

I will usually buy kids clothes at .50-1.00, unless it is a name-brand outfit or dress and then will go a little higher. Adult clothes are the hardest to sell it seems--I always laugh when people are trying to sell them for more than a dollar or two.

I wish I was your neighbor!

Regular pieces: .50-$1

I would pay more for complete outfits with multiple pieces, coats, jackets, other specialty items, if they were what I was specifically looking for: <$5 I would be more likely to buy it if it were under $4.

The problem with buying items for more than $5 is that it would need to be new/nearly new, my style/my child's style, something we really needed. Frankly, I rarely come across something we want and need that badly. We're not into expensive labels. If I'm going to spend more than $5 I'll hit up good sales and store clearances. ;)