Menu

The Woes of Being Fat in a Skinny Family

I desperately need a new swim suit but every one of them I've tried on makes me look like a pregnant sea cow because...well...I'm too fat. The suits won't work miracles.

A few years ago I lost 20 pounds and have kept off 15 of that, but I really need to lose about 55 more. Yikes. How did I get this heavy??? I'm 5'11" and weighed 140 when dh and I got married 29 years ago. I never thought of myself as skinny. After the first two babies I weighed maybe 145 but after that I gained some with each pregnancy. (We have seven kids.) I never really tried very hard to lose it.

My dh is 6 feet and has always been about 160, no matter what he eats. All of our kids are slender except the youngest, who is 12, and has some extra pudge around the middle. (He is not obese though).

Can I just scream this??? IT'S SO HARD TO TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT IN A FAMILY OF SKINNY PEOPLE WHO EAT WHATEVER THEY WANT.

Thank you. Rant over.

I

Can I just scream this??? IT'S SO HARD TO TRY TO LOSE WEIGHT IN A FAMILY OF SKINNY PEOPLE WHO EAT WHATEVER THEY WANT.

:grouphug:

I'm the fattest one (sz 12-14) in our family. I should lose 40-50 lbs but am aiming for 30lbs (I'm still less than my higher wt. of several years ago).

Yup, 3 guys and all thin to healthy weight and me the fat one. :ack2:

okay, so here is my dilemma -- i was always the skinny one and my mother and sister battled with their weight their entire lives.

so, now, my mom is 78, i will be 58 in august, and my sister just turned 51.

Which two women are an amazingly small size and who is on medifast with a goal of losing 60 lbs? That's right -- ME!

My dh and kids can eat ANYTHING. I guess it's the way my mom and sister felt when my sis and i were growing up -- i never gained an ounce no matter what i ate. my sister and my mom only had to think of the word 'food' and they would put on twenty pounds.

:001_huh:

TJMaxx has gorgeous swim suits that hide a multitude of sins. They were excellent quality.

Geez I know how hard it is to lose weight. :grouphug:

Lands end has some really great swimsuits.

I have looked at Land's End and see some very nice ones. However, my shopping experience has me somewhat traumatized. Maybe I just won't swim for a while.

And yeah, it's hard to lose weight when dh buys chips and ice cream, etc. The chips I can avoid but the ice cream I absolutely love.

Can't help with the weight thing as I, too, am there with ya.

Here is a swim 'suit' that I really want, see if you think it will make you happy.

http://www.mygirltrunks.com/

Lara

Lara, I like those! You know, I could sew something like that. I have made my kids lots of swimsuits over the years. It's not hard. It's just that I really want to lose weight! I suppose I could make something to get me through this season.

I can totally sympathize. I am surrounded by string beans!

My problem with swimsuits is that I really need a one-piece to hide my tummy, but am different sizes on top and bottom. As an alternative to the traditional suit - I have found that exercise gear is REALLY forgiving. I wear a running skort (shorts under skirt), a sports bra, and a tank top made of that compression material. Looks good and MUCH easier to find in the right sizes than a regular swim suit.

I desperately need a new swim suit but every one of them I've tried on makes me look like a pregnant sea cow because...well...I'm too fat. The suits won't work miracles.

A few years ago I lost 20 pounds and have kept off 15 of that, but I really need to lose about 55 more. Yikes. How did I get this heavy??? I'm 5'11" and weighed 140 when dh and I got married 29 years ago. I never thought of myself as skinny. After the first two babies I weighed maybe 145 but after that I gained some with each pregnancy. (We have seven kids.) I never really tried very hard to lose it.

My dh is 6 feet and has always been about 160, no matter what he eats. All of our kids are slender except the youngest, who is 12, and has some extra pudge around the middle. (He is not obese though).

Thank you. Rant over.

I hear ya! Dh's family is ALL skinny...good genetics. He's 6'1 and 171 lbs. My dd is 5"4" and 107 (I am same height and weighed 102 at my wedding but failed thyroid and undiagnosed digestive disorder for years after my last pregnancy totally tanked my health and all I had to do was look at food to gain weight, but would have to adopt a hunger strike of weeks on end in order to lose), his mom is thin, his sister is thin, his brother is fairly thin though not so much as Dh, his nieces and nephews are the same...I'm the beached whale of the bunch.

I don't even know what to do anymore. There is no diet and exercise routine that works. I suspect that if I could do endless hours of high impace aerobics or run, that might do the trick. But, I injured my ankle very, very badly in college and I'm lucky to be able to walk without a cane. I am on ortho orders to NEVER engage in high impact. I'd like to swim laps - used to do that in college - but we live an hour away from an indoor pool that has lap swimming or even open swimming, and from Memorial Day - Labor Day there are two SMALL community pools in the county that are open but no lap swimming allowed because of the size of the pool and the sheer number of people in it. T-Tapp, low aerobics, fast walking for miles and miles, weight lifting, stationary bicycle (because in our rural area you are seriously risking your life to bike ride on busy country roads with shoulders less than 18 inches wide and drainage ditches the size of the canyons!), and treadmill on incline....has.not.worked. Add to that the chronic anemia and I become totally, 100% depressed about the workout...as in crying before it even starts because it's so overwhelming just to physically get through the day without adding grueling exercise routines on top of it only to end up NOT losing weight and not getting trimmer either.

I have hated my body for years! So, I can completely commiserate. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile, my husband and the teens continue to eat 3500 calories per day and never gain. I'm over in the corner hungry and chewing on my single snack for the evening, a celery stick and tall glass of water.

:grouphug: Faith

Which two women are an amazingly small size and who is on medifast with a goal of losing 60 lbs? That's right -- ME!

My dh and kids can eat ANYTHING.

After reading about Medifast on these boards, I thought about it myself. But then I thought - NO WAY! How can I do something like that when I still have to shop and cook for everyone else?

I'm back to being strict on Atkins and lost 7 lbs in the last 9 days.

How do you do Medifast and still live with and cook for your family? You MUST have amazing willpower! :001_smile:

I hear ya. We have a pool in our backyard, and I haven't been swimming this summer because I hate how I look in a swimsuit. :glare: But we are on vacation right now, and I ordered a new suit from Lands' End before we left. I am pleased with it; it's supportive and flattering. I feel fine walking down the beach in it. So I'm sure I'll use it to swim in our pool when we get back! :001_smile:

It's this suit. It has a retro vibe. I got it in black.

Hang in there! Here's hoping next summer we're feeling better about our swimsuit bodies!

Wendi

okay, so here is my dilemma -- i was always the skinny one and my mother and sister battled with their weight their entire lives.

so, now, my mom is 78, i will be 58 in august, and my sister just turned 51.

My dh and kids can eat ANYTHING. I guess it's the way my mom and sister felt when my sis and i were growing up -- i never gained an ounce no matter what i ate. my sister and my mom only had to think of the word 'food' and they would put on twenty pounds.

TJMaxx has gorgeous swim suits that hide a multitude of sins. They were excellent quality.

Mariann, I wish you great success on Medifast. Thanks for the T.J. Maxx idea. I'll look there.

I hear ya. We have a pool in our backyard, and I haven't been swimming this summer because I hate how I look in a swimsuit. :glare: But we are on vacation right now, and I ordered a new suit from Lands' End before we left. I am pleased with it; it's supportive and flattering. I feel fine walking down the beach in it. So I'm sure I'll use it to swim in our pool when we get back! :001_smile:

Hang in there! Here's hoping next summer we're feeling better about our swimsuit bodies!

Wendi

Wendi, that is a beautiful suit! I do remember seeing that one.

After reading about Medifast on these boards, I thought about it myself. But then I thought - NO WAY! How can I do something like that when I still have to shop and cook for everyone else?

How do you do Medifast and still live with and cook for your family? You MUST have amazing willpower! :001_smile:

I have never done Medifast but just wanted to say it also takes willpower to do the low carb thing when cooking for the rest of the family! BTDT

I'm the fattest one (sz 12-14) in our family. I should lose 40-50 lbs but am aiming for 30lbs (I'm still less than my higher wt. of several years ago).

Yup, 3 guys and all thin to healthy weight and me the fat one. :ack2:

:grouphug: to you, Michelle!

Ummmm, I do. Once I made up my mind four weeks ago, I was determined. It has helped to recognize that I was indulging in emotional eating and to recognize that when i did not have weight issues, it was because my locus of control WAS that I did not put anything in my mouth (not when I was a kid - i ate like crazy and never gained).

A few years ago my thyroid went wonky and the pounds packed on. I have decided to view any 'cheating' I might be inclined to do on medifast as 'rebellion' (sin in my mind) and with that approach, I have made it to the start of week 4 and the loss of 14 pounds - so i am pleased with that.

As far as feeding the kids -- they are doing swim team and they eat fettucine alfredo and chicken almost every night --- i make sure that i am not hungry when i am getting their dinner prepared and hence not tempted to put any of it in my mouth. Also, I will say that after 10 days on medifast, I truthfully am not ravenous or hungry. That helps me identify the triggers to my emotional eating. This has been a huge psychological process for me -- even more so than a 'have to lose weight' process iykwim.

Medifast works quickly AND i DO have to see results and see them fast which i do and that helps.

I purchase product every two weeks -- i know exactly what i like and do not like, and i am so freaking determined you cannot imagine.

:)

I can totally sympathize. I am surrounded by string beans!

My problem with swimsuits is that I really need a one-piece to hide my tummy, but am different sizes on top and bottom. As an alternative to the traditional suit - I have found that exercise gear is REALLY forgiving. I wear a running skort (shorts under skirt), a sports bra, and a tank top made of that compression material. Looks good and MUCH easier to find in the right sizes than a regular swim suit.

That is a really good idea!! Thanks.

I hear ya! Dh's family is ALL skinny...good genetics. He's 6'1 and 171 lbs. My dd is 5"4" and 107 (I am same height and weighed 102 at my wedding but failed thyroid and undiagnosed digestive disorder for years after my last pregnancy totally tanked my health and all I had to do was look at food to gain weight, but would have to adopt a hunger strike of weeks on end in order to lose), his mom is thin, his sister is thin, his brother is fairly thin though not so much as Dh, his nieces and nephews are the same...I'm the beached whale of the bunch.

I don't even know what to do anymore. There is no diet and exercise routine that works. I suspect that if I could do endless hours of high impace aerobics or run, that might do the trick. But, I injured my ankle very, very badly in college and I'm lucky to be able to walk without a cane. I am on ortho orders to NEVER engage in high impact. I'd like to swim laps - used to do that in college - but we live an hour away from an indoor pool that has lap swimming or even open swimming, and from Memorial Day - Labor Day there are two SMALL community pools in the county that are open but no lap swimming allowed because of the size of the pool and the sheer number of people in it. T-Tapp, low aerobics, fast walking for miles and miles, weight lifting, stationary bicycle (because in our rural area you are seriously risking your life to bike ride on busy country roads with shoulders less than 18 inches wide and drainage ditches the size of the canyons!), and treadmill on incline....has.not.worked. Add to that the chronic anemia and I become totally, 100% depressed about the workout...as in crying before it even starts because it's so overwhelming just to physically get through the day without adding grueling exercise routines on top of it only to end up NOT losing weight and not getting trimmer either.

I have hated my body for years! So, I can completely commiserate. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile, my husband and the teens continue to eat 3500 calories per day and never gain. I'm over in the corner hungry and chewing on my single snack for the evening, a celery stick and tall glass of water.

Faith, I don't know what to say. Your post was very moving. I'm so sorry for your struggles. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: OK - just smack me if this isn't a good suggestion, but three years ago I did Releana (the REAL hcg - not the fake stuff). You are forbidden to exercise when doing it -- really! I dropped 30 lbs in 28 days. I kid you not. you can pm me and pick my brain.

Here is a swim 'suit' that I really want, see if you think it will make you happy.

Lara

Those look great, but that's a bit steep. I am a bit on the cheap side :blush:.

I tend toward more coverage. I burn very, very easily and the more coverage from clothes, the less sun screen I have to worry about! Plus, I have this one funky thigh :lol:. I swear it is shaped totally different than the other. It might be worth the money to not have to stare at that leg. :D

ETA: I forgot the rest....My mom has always been skinny and eats crazy stuff! I have always been more cautious and concerned about healthful choices, but I am the one overweight! It drives me batty. Her motto is: If it's green and does NOT have an 'M' printed on it, then I'm not eatin it. Seriously! She hates vegetables.

Edited by jewellsmommy

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm an hourglass mesomorph in a family of ectomorphs. There have been times in my adult life where I've weighed more at 5' 2" than my brothers were at 5'7"-5'8". They WANT to gain bulk and I'm often trying to lean out. My mom eats all sorts of white carbs, starchy veggies, and fruit and she still weighs less than I do (at an inch taller and 23 years older) than I do at my thinnest. :glare: Now I'll take the couple lbs. extra that are my D-cup b00ks vs. her B's, but other than that it's not fair :nopity:

I have made it to the start of week 4 and the loss of 14 pounds - so i am pleased with that.

... i am so freaking determined you cannot imagine.

:)

Thanks for answering my question. Congrads so far on your success! :)

I'm about 2/3 into reading "The Power of Habit" which is an excellent book for me to rethink my eating habits. I highly recommend it!

What are you doing for exercise?

I've been walking/jogging every morning which is helping me to lose weight. I've not always been consistent with my exercise. I watched "The Biggest Loser", "Too Fat for 15" and some other shows to give me inspiration. If they can lose SO much weight in such a short amount of time - then why can't I lose 30 lbs!

I have never done Medifast but just wanted to say it also takes willpower to do the low carb thing when cooking for the rest of the family! BTDT

Atkins is the first diet that I don't feel HUNGRY all the time and have hope that it's possible to lose the weight. I just need to stick to it long-term. I lose 20 lbs then gain it back - lose/gain over & over - UGH! :banghead:

Yes, all the guys are naturally slim. My dh has gained a bit, but his job keeps him moving.

I used to be able to lose weigh pretty easily, but wince my Hashimoto's set in -- nope.

Imagine your son's girlfriend saying (in your presence) that women who don't go back down to pre-maternal size are gluttons! Did I mention she is the ex-girlfriend? His current girlfriend is very small with large parents. It seems every young person today looks at older people and assumes they are just lazy pigs if they aren't as skinny.

It's very frustrating because I have a small frame and am short. I used to be a size 2/4. I would have to lose 20 pounds to get down to what I used to be.

Thanks for answering my question. Congrads so far on your success! :)

I'm about 2/3 into reading "The Power of Habit" which is an excellent book for me to rethink my eating habits. I highly recommend it!

What are you doing for exercise?

I've been walking/jogging every morning which is helping me to lose weight. I've not always been consistent with my exercise. I watched "The Biggest Loser", "Too Fat for 15" and some other shows to give me inspiration. If they can lose SO much weight in such a short amount of time - then why can't I lose 30 lbs!

Thank you -- I am walking/running 4 miles every other day and doing Leslie Sansone 3 mile power walk on the days i don't go out and do that.

DH is not skinny, but he isn't interested in losing weight. Both girls are slender and athletic. I gained a ton of weight a couple of years ago and am just now resolving to lose it. I've never been this big in my life, not even at 9 months pregnant. :(

Being the "least fat" person in a houseful of heavy people isn't the best either! Everyone thinks that (1) food is the end-all and be-all, and (2) the person who weighs the least should eat unlimited amounts of it. For example, yesterday my friends came to tell me they bought me some pie when they were at a pie-themed restaurant. I said, that's nice. Come to find out it was a whole pie! One that nobody else will touch because they don't like pumpkin. The logic was that they were going to buy 2 slices (:confused:), but for "only" $3 more they could buy the whole pie, so why not? I mean, if you heard "for only $3 more you can add diabetes and heart disease to your order" you'd do it, right? :tongue_smilie:

Losing weight and keeping it off (if you aren't naturally skinny) is just plain hard in this country.

I too have had the same problems. I have lost 60 lbs but still have another 40 to go. Because of my weight loss my legs look absolutely awful. I tried on suits expecting to be happy to be in a smaller size but I sat and cried when I looked at all the flabby skin on my legs. I found a bathing suit here:

http://modestlyyoursswimwear.com/swimwearstyles.html

Yes, they are expensive but they are custom made to your measurements. I bought the "Tropical Paradise" style, it has a sarong skirt over shorts. I modified mine to drop the neckline an inch and to have the leggings come right above my knee. I have never in my life spent so much money on a bathing suit, but I figure I will get a few years out of it. If I lose the rest of my weight, then I will reward myself with a new one.

Imagine your son's girlfriend saying (in your presence) that women who don't go back down to pre-maternal size are gluttons! Did I mention she is the ex-girlfriend?

:thumbdown:

Even when I weighed the same as pre-PG, I couldn't fit into the same clothes because the bones in my rib cage and hips had spread. So did my fingers (had to get a new wedding ring) and feet (went up 1/2 shoe size with each PG). It's due to a hormone called relaxin that causes the ligaments to relax so that the baby can be safely delivered out the pelvis. Unfortunately, they didn't go back to the way they were pre-PG in my case so the larger frame size was permanent.

Even when I weighed the same as pre-PG, I couldn't fit into the same clothes because the bones in my rib cage and hips had spread. So did my fingers (had to get a new wedding ring) and feet (went up 1/2 shoe size with each PG). It's due to a hormone called relaxin that causes the ligaments to relax so that the baby can be safely delivered out the pelvis. Unfortunately, they didn't go back to the way they were pre-PG in my case so the larger frame size was permanent.

:iagree:

This was me, too. I didn't gain much in pregnancy (was already a few pounds overweight) and when DS was a few months old, I weighed less than I had pre-pg. But some of my clothes and shoes just didn't fit anymore, because my shape had changed. My hips were wider and have never gone back.

Of course, I'm sure I knew it all when I was a teenager, too, although I hope I never said anything that obnoxious...

As to the topic at hand... I hate swimsuits and shopping for them. I always feel exposed unless I have on the skirt types, and even then I spend more time adjusting my suit than I'd like.

I love the link with the swim shorts... I have seen a much, much less expensive version at Walmart... let's see...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Catalina-Women-s-Board-Shorts/17786946

They have a shorter inseam than the others, and do not have built in swim panty, so you'd need to wear over a one piece or bikini bottom... but it's a good inexpensive option if you are looking for some coverage. I'm thinking about getting a pair for the waterpark.

Lara

Ooo...I really like the looks of this suit! Thanks for sharing, this might be exactly what dd and I have been looking for (why do the great ones always have to be so expensive?).

Edited by Katiebug_1976

Wow, I was kind of being silly with my post thinking that there wouldn't be an answer, BUT these look like a great possibility. Do people really wear these to swim in at the beach? What kind of rash are they guarding against?

I was able to find shorts and a tankini at http://www.kohls.com--might be worth a look.

As far as being overweight...I gained some with each pregnancy that I've never lost either. I know I could improve my body if I were more careful about eating and exercising...sigh.

I don't let myself get too down about it...I figure my belly is my battle scar for doing some pretty miraculous work! The kids are worth it, right?!? But it would be nice to have enough energy to keep up with them!

Wow, I was kind of being silly with my post thinking that there wouldn't be an answer, BUT these look like a great possibility. Do people really wear these to swim in at the beach? What kind of rash are they guarding against?

Rash guards started off as surfer fashion so I presume it's some sort of board chafeage that they protect against (I don't surf myself). They're pretty popular out here in California, mostly for sun protection but also for modesty.

Thanks so much for all the replies! I'm going to fight the good fight with my diet and daily exercise. I've lost weight before and CAN do it again, even if living in a house full of skinny people makes it more challenging. They will be supportive of me.

I've decided to go shopping at my favorite local store that carries lots of swimwear fabric. I think I'll make board shorts and either a long tank top or a one piece suit. Even if it is too big next year (I hope so!) I need something NOW. I've sewn lots of suits for my kids so I know I can do it.

Thanks, everyone, for all your input! Off to the fabric store...yay!

I have looked at Land's End and see some very nice ones. However, my shopping experience has me somewhat traumatized. Maybe I just won't swim for a while.

And yeah, it's hard to lose weight when dh buys chips and ice cream, etc. The chips I can avoid but the ice cream I absolutely love.

Go swimming. It is really great exercise. Don't worry about a perfect swimsuit. Buy something that flatters you and go!

Also tell your dh that you want to work on your health and ask him to please keep his chips out of sight. For ice cream can you buy your own stash. That way when he has his treat you will have one too. I love Skinny Cow and Weight Watchers brands.

No excuses. You can do this, and you are going to feel great when you are done.

Wendi

So cute! I love your new suit. Prairie Mom - get this one.

ETA - PrairieMom - Just finished reading the thread and saw that you are going to make board shorts. Good for you!

Edited by Ferdie

So I found some cute fabric for a swimming tank top and some coordinating blue for board shorts. YAY! I'm going to cut it out after supper tonight and hopefully get the sewing done tomorrow, though we do have a wedding to attend.

I'm also doing really well with my eating today, drinking lots of water, and I walked my usual 2 miles this morning.

I do feel your pain. I was the heaviest person in my house (heavier than my dh!) and in my family of birth.

I have lost and kept off 50 lbs. Kept it off for almost 5 years now.

Can you keep the ice cream etc out of the house by phrasing it as a health issue. As in, please don't bring ice cream into the house because I want the food in the house to be as healthy as possible.

DH takes the kids out for an occasional ice cream treat and I stay home and take a bath etc. It doesn't come in the house. We have a soda, chips, sugary cereal etc free house. If you are home and want a snack, then it's going to be green beans dipped in hummus, or a bowl of fiber one, or fruit, or a hard boiled egg, etc. It started to help me lose the weight, but is now about all of us making healthy choices.