Menu

PSA: AP scores available Sunday

You know, just in case you had forgotten...

And last year, they were available late (as in almost midnight) the night before. Or so I hear, cause goodness, I would never be that anxious.;)

Terri

Whether they really were going to be Sunday.... and given the heat (not anxiety mind you, just weather...) who knows how much trouble I might have sleeping Saturday night. ;)

So are the scores ready on Sunday just by phone when you pay a fee? And if there's a fee, is it per student or per test? Last year we waited for the scores to get mailed out, but this year one of my DDs is basing her 1st semester college course selection on the results of AP scores, so....

One dd thought we would hear 3rd week of July if we wait for the mailed reports. Torn, because I don't want to pay, but I don't want to wait!

:)

So are the scores ready on Sunday just by phone when you pay a fee? And if there's a fee, is it per student or per test? Last year we waited for the scores to get mailed out, but this year one of my DDs is basing her 1st semester college course selection on the results of AP scores, so....

Did your dd list her college when she filled out the AP testing information. If she did, she can call her college and receive the scores from the college. If your dd did not list her college on the AP info, the fee is per student, not per test.

Did your dd list her college when she filled out the AP testing information. If she did, she can call her college and receive the scores from the college.

:iagree: My guy is going to find out from his college rather than pay the fee. Last year we just waited it out, but this year he has the "check with the college" option. ;)

You know, just in case you had forgotten...

And last year, they were available late (as in almost midnight) the night before. Or so I hear, cause goodness, I would never be that anxious.;)

LOL!

That's good to know, because we wouldn't want to call before church ... but we have stuff to do after church, including a homeschool graduation party, so -- especially since we're on the West Coast, and midnight there is only 9 pm here! -- I'm glad you told us about Saturday night! :001_smile:

One of my sons is fine with waiting; the other wants to know, because he needs to plan. Thanks for the heads-up!

Some time between 7 and 8 am Sunday.

All good news here! 5s on all 4: chem (ChemAdvantage rocks!), Calc AB (chalkdust), microeconomics (mom) and macroeconomics (mom).

Hope everyone else also hears what they want today!

Terri

Some time between 7 and 8 am Sunday.

All good news here! 5s on all 4: chem (ChemAdvantage rocks!), Calc AB (chalkdust), microeconomics (mom) and macroeconomics (mom).

Hope everyone else also hears what they want today!

Terri

5 on the chem here as well. (ChemAdvantage is awesome!!)

5 on the cal BC and AB subscore as well. I am so glad I trusted my instincts and withdrew ds from PAH's cal course and enrolled him in AoPS instead. I could see him wilting in boredom and frustration in the PAH course (too much repetition and too much busy stuff.) I did panic in March wondering if I had made a mistake because AoPS does zero test prep. Kathy in RIchmond to the rescue here!! She worked w/him on FRQ structure and pinpointing missing concepts! AoPS was such a better fit for ds.

Big sigh here......I'm glad it's over!!!

Congrats to all who got great scores today and may everyone who calls get good news!

My guy should be able to find out from his college sometime this week. He's pretty confident and not really worried. All he has is AP Psych.

If I may hijack my own thread for a second, did he find AP psych to be a worthwhile course?

Terri

If I may hijack my own thread for a second, did he find AP psych to be a worthwhile course?

Terri

He 100% self studied it and loved it content-wise. Getting at least a 3 on the AP test will allow him to skip the 101 class at UR and get into more interesting classes. He feels he got a 5 on the test. ;) It was definitely worth it for him so he can skip the class and take another that he prefers. With neuroscience or brain and cognitive science as his major, having the extra class time freed up will be very helpful.

I guess we won't find ours out until tomorrow, but for those of you who know the score and it was a 4 or 5, what prep/practice book/resources did your student use?

Is there a particular course in which you are interested? ChemAdvantage seems to do a universally sound job on chemistry, but for everything else, there seem to be many, many options.

Terri

My son got a 2 in AP Human Geography. Where is the sad face icon when I need it.

Awww, bummer. Did you know that you can get his essays (for a fee, of course)? It might help see where he went wrong, in case it would help for future APs.

Terri

I guess we won't find ours out until tomorrow, but for those of you who know the score and it was a 4 or 5, what prep/practice book/resources did your student use?

My son has only taken the physics B and chemistry exams, but for those two exams, the best resource for him was the College Board released exams. The CB lists multiple years of prior free response questions along with the corresponding scoring guide. This helped my son understand how the free response questions would be graded.

I also paid and ordered two released complete exams from the College Board. The complete exams included the multiple choice questions. He felt that practicing the multiple choice questions also helped prepare him for the corresponding SAT II's.

My homeschooled son got a 5 on Comp Gov, and my ps'd son got a 4 on Calculus BC (which is what he expected). Very happy here!

$8 per student. This will be the last year the kids have to pay...starting next year, the CB says that they will post the results online for free.

Wow, that will be great! (Although it was sorta fun calling in the early morning :001_smile:)

A friend of mine asked why AP scores are not posted online (unlike the SAT, SAT subject test, and PSAT scores, all at the College Board site), and ... I didn't know! That's just the way it was always done, haha :001_huh:

My son has only taken the physics B and chemistry exams, but for those two exams, the best resource for him was the College Board released exams. The CB lists multiple years of prior free response questions along with the corresponding scoring guide. This helped my son understand how the free response questions would be graded.

I also paid and ordered two released complete exams from the College Board. The complete exams included the multiple choice questions. He felt that practicing the multiple choice questions also helped prepare him for the corresponding SAT II's.

:iagree:

These are invaluable, especially the parts that show multiple, real student answers for each FRQ -- one that got full points (and why), one that got medium points, and one that was minimally acceptable.

World History a 3. Meh. Psychology a 5. Overall not bad. However I am surprised at the 3 as my daughter felt pretty confident about a solid 4 afterwards. Still an AP scholar so all is well. I am grateful for this board so I knew she could call in to learn her scores. She learned to love history from TWTM suggested book lists and that is what matters for a lifetime of learning. I stand firmly convinced that insatiable curiousity for the experiences and history of other cultures is what matters far more than learning a textbook full of bare facts. Junior year is a bear and I am delighted it is over! Onward.

I am so glad I found this thread because I didn't know about the call-in option. My dd got 5 on Calculus AB, 3 on Studio Art and Chemistry, and 1 on Latin. When things got crazy stressful at school, Latin became her last priority, so she knew she wasn't going to pass that one. She qualifies as an AP Scholar, so overall, it was a job well done in spite of the Latin score.

5 for AP Psych. (self studied), AP Macroeconomics (Howard Richman), and AP English Lit. (Debra Bell), and a 3 for AP Calculus BC with the online state school program which was badly done. Ds. plans on taking AP Calculus BC with PA Homeschoolers this year.

I wasn't going to call but finally did. My ds got a 5 on the AP German Language and Culture test!

Way to go, Beachson! I was reading APTrevor's tweets over the weekend, and among other things, he talks about how many of the students who take the AP language tests are "heritage speakers" of that language, hence the large percentage of 5s on those exams. If your son is not a heritage speaker, which I assume means that he does not speak German at home, can you share a little about his German path? My oldest is only a rising freshman (yes, she has 5 APs, but she technically in middle school) but has been studying Chinese for years. I am wondering about the feasibility of her eventually taking the AP Chinese exam. The STEM magnet she will attend next year does not offer AP Chinese, and she would have to self-study, so I would appreciate any insight on how your son prepared.

Terri

Way to go, Beachson! I was reading APTrevor's tweets over the weekend, and among other things, he talks about how many of the students who take the AP language tests are "heritage speakers" of that language, hence the large percentage of 5s on those exams. If your son is not a heritage speaker, which I assume means that he does not speak German at home, can you share a little about his German path? My oldest is only a rising freshman (yes, she has 5 APs, but she technically in middle school) but has been studying Chinese for years. I am wondering about the feasibility of her eventually taking the AP Chinese exam. The STEM magnet she will attend next year does not offer AP Chinese, and she would have to self-study, so I would appreciate any insight on how your son prepared.

Terri

He is NOT a native speaker and 3 years ago today couldn't speak any German. We have lived in Germany for the last 3 years and he started German at the American school here. Many of the kids here don't learn much German and hang around American culture the entire time. He did that most of the first year.

During the second half of his first year, he started self studying Rosetta Stone and in a short time did 4 levels. He then proceeded to immerse himself as much as possible by talking in German to whoever he could: the locals, his German teacher, and a few others who spoke the language. He tested out of German 2, took German 3, and this year took AP.

He was one of only 2 kids in the class who did not have a native speaker at home. He and the other girl probably had the highest grades in the class. The other kids just grow up with it and are forced to take the class by their parents. BTW, the class was combined German 4 & AP and most of the kids with native-speaking parents opted for German 4.

He is NOT a native speaker and 3 years ago today couldn't speak any German. We have lived in Germany for the last 3 years and he started German at the American school here. Many of the kids here don't learn much German and hang around American culture the entire time. He did that most of the first year.

During the second half of his first year, he started self studying Rosetta Stone and in a short time did 4 levels. He then proceeded to immerse himself as much as possible by talking in German to whoever he could: the locals, his German teacher, and a few others who spoke the language. He tested out of German 2, took German 3, and this year took AP.

He was one of only 2 kids in the class who did not have a native speaker at home. He and the other girl probably had the highest grades in the class. The other kids just grow up with it and are forced to take the class by their parents. BTW, the class was combined German 4 & AP and most of the kids with native-speaking parents opted for German 4.

Thanks for the info! Very encouraging!

Terri

Still waiting in Michigan for my scores to come by mail. Since the College Board has a monopoly on educational testing, I really didn't want to give them more money (to call) on something I'd find out in a few weeks anyway! Apparently they mail out in geographical order, or at least they have in past years, from west to east.

$8 per student. This will be the last year the kids have to pay...starting next year, the CB says that they will post the results online for free.

Such a fundraiser, that $8 call! We couldn't wait, either. I was thrilled to learn that two of the three ninth-graders in my tiny AP US History class (N=3) scored "5." Fives! Yippee. My third student is patiently, non-neurotically, waiting for her score in the mail. [muffled sound of my foot tapping :chillpill:] Her good score on the SAT II Subject Test in US History gives me hope that she did well on the AP also.

Tia

Got Great Girl's scores in the afternoon mail. Dh hadn't mentioned to anyone when they were coming, especially not to Great Girl, and I'm guessing that's because she and I both tend to get very stressed about these things; she is off fencing at Nationals in LA, with her toughest events today and yesterday, and dh almost certainly didn't want her thinking about her APs.

Anyhow, they went well: 5s for Chemistry, calc BC and AB subscore, and Physics C (Mechanics). The Mechanics exam was really rough - she wasn't even able to finish it, and she said she wrote nonstop at top speed - so she's pretty pleased.

I'm most pleased with her 4 on German Language. She took OSU German 3, hated it, and just stopped doing it halfway through (without mentioning that fact to anyone). :tongue_smilie: We made her finish the course, but that was after the AP. What she was doing was having German conversations with a native-German-speaking friend of mine, and immersing herself in Rilke with a facing literal translation. Because she loves poetry and hates correspondence-course busywork. Yeah, the little-known Rilke AP preparation method. You heard it here first.