Menu

$4.95 for a full year of curriculum

IDK anything about this, other than it was posted on our local hs group today. It's K-11/12, math, LA, science and SS, up to 10 digital texts (includes student and TM) for the $4.95/one year access. I'd think if someone was on a tight budget and didn't mind printing it might be a benefit. Anyway, wanted to share it.

https://www.completecurriculum.com/register/signup

I joined a few weeks ago and I don't think it's just free stuff that's already out there. Their texts all have a Complete Curriculum logo so I think the material belongs to CC.

The reasons I joined:

I like the way you can organize/order lessons and the student can go "get" them via the website. I can set up the order in which I want the student to do the lessons, even if it's different than the book's order. That makes it an easy way support of what we are already doing (without flipping and finding what we need). The student can log in and do what is requested without me being available at that moment. That is a huge bonus for us.

The material seems quite standard and I thought it would be an easy to way to present concepts in a more traditional way (we use MCT, AoPS , Life of Fred, and other less traditional methods.)

I've found that it's not quite as typical as I expected. There are some interesting exercises....not just average workbook stuff. It's also colorful and has pictures which makes it more pleasant than not.

All in all, WELL worth the $5. If you already have what you need, don't bother. If you'd like to supplement or give a different perspective and enjoy tooling around setting up the lessons (or you can have dc do them in order), this might work well for your family.

IDK anything about this, other than it was posted on our local hs group today. It's K-11/12, math, LA, science and SS, up to 10 digital texts (includes student and TM) for the $4.95/one year access. I'd think if someone was on a tight budget and didn't mind printing it might be a benefit. Anyway, wanted to share it.

https://www.completecurriculum.com/register/signup

I actually paid full price for this almost a year ago before I started reading about CM and then TWTM. The curriculum does seem pretty decent and this deal is good. Complete Curriculum has received a good review on Cathy Duffy's site.

So it seems like for $5.00 you can choose up to 10 digital textbooks? Can you chose across topics and grades? It looks like it might be a good way to supplement some things, like social studies and literature that we aren't hitting too well.

Yes, that's my understanding of it. You can do a mix of grades from any of the 4 subjects, up to 10 texts.

I actually paid full price for this almost a year ago before I started reading about CM and then TWTM. The curriculum does seem pretty decent and this deal is good. Complete Curriculum has received a good review on Cathy Duffy's site.

Can you print out ebooks tm and student for whatever digital subjects and grades you pick instead of using the computer. I thought since you had used it already you would know. Thanks for your time.

I tried to figure out what exactly this was. It seems to be that someone just pulled together free resources already out there. Not saying that's not worth $4.95 for the effort, but I do believe much of that stuff is out there for free anyway.

I don't think that's true.

I've looked at this quite a bit, and decided not to use it at all with my high schooler. The material seems to be below grade level.

I haven't decided for my 5th and 7th grader. Still looking at it. It's definitely a good deal. Unfortunately, you can't download and the website is sometimes slow or totally down. I emailed them about this and it went ignored. Customer service goes a long way in my book.

Does anyone have a subscription? I looked at the site but couldn't really access the samples. It sounds good, but I've wondered if it's one of those you get what you pay for kind of things.

I do. What are you wondering about specifically?

I think I'd use it if I was in a bind. Low money. No access to good books. It seems pretty standard (public school like). Everything is workbook format, but the lessons are too short in my opinion. I asked my 9th grader if she wanted to use it for biology and she said it seemed way too easy.

But for 5 bucks...I guess you can't beat it.

I do. What are you wondering about specifically?

I think I'd use it if I was in a bind. Low money. No access to good books. It seems pretty standard (public school like). Everything is workbook format, but the lessons are too short in my opinion. I asked my 9th grader if she wanted to use it for biology and she said it seemed way too easy.

But for 5 bucks...I guess you can't beat it.

I wondered what opinions would be. I see what your daughter thought of it. My curiosity was for the elementary set. We have come to a point where I may have to consider more online/free curricula. I tried to view the samples for the younger elementary set but couldn't gain idea of what's in the curricula.

I wondered what opinions would be. I see what your daughter thought of it. My curiosity was for the elementary set. We have come to a point where I may have to consider more online/free curricula. I tried to view the samples for the younger elementary set but couldn't gain idea of what's in the curricula.

Here's an example of second grade science. http://withlovero.com/7350.pdf

What grades are you interested in?

I've looked at this quite a bit, and decided not to use it at all with my high schooler. The material seems to be below grade level.

I haven't decided for my 5th and 7th grader. Still looking at it. It's definitely a good deal. Unfortunately, you can't download and the website is sometimes slow or totally down. I emailed them about this and it went ignored. Customer service goes a long way in my book.

I just looked over the grade 5 Language Arts sample, and the index leads me to believe it is on par with R&S grade 2. The writing looks to be closer to grade level, but the grammar topics only get as difficult as subject-verb agreement and using adjectives as modifiers (covered in R&S grade 2). There is also some phonics included (spellings for the long "e" sound, words ending in "ow"), and phonics lessons should conclude long before grade 5. The spelling may or may not be on par with grade level; the sample lesson says that the words on the list for that day are all closed syllable words ending with at least one consonant (the example word given is "dad").

Lesson 167 made me pause, though:

Lesson 167

Proud to Be an American

Objective: The student will read an informational article about the privileges of being an American.

:confused:

I just took a quick glance at a few of their high school offerings. The world history looked more like the output I would expect at the middle grades. The first section on how historians gather data sound less mature than I would expect from a high school text.

I think they might compare to CK-12 in what they offer. CK-12 has more middle and high school texts, and they are all free. CK-12 also has mostly science and math, not so many offerings in history or English.

If I had a younger child for 5.00 I'd find some stuff to pick and choose. The two samples I looked at noted they were in draft form until July or August of this year. Having the availability of a TE is sometimes hard to find in a free product (although CK12 offers it), so that could be a plus.

I'm going to poke around a little more and see what could be usable at the high school level for our needs.

I tried it. For $5 you can't beat it. I wouldn't pay full price, however. It is very much a public school, workbooky approach. Even that isn't bad all of the time, but this particular website loads very very slowly and I find that annoying when I'm poking around looking to put lessons together. I did email their customer support also and got no response. Red flag there.

Did you notice that you will be automatically renewed for the next year at full price without notice? You may want to go into your account and change that.........

For only 5 bucks, I ordered it. I'm sure I'll use some parts of it.

Did you notice that you will be automatically renewed for the next year at full price without notice? You may want to go into your account and change that.........

Thank you so much for pointing this out. I cancelled the auto-renewal.

Can you print out ebooks tm and student for whatever digital subjects and grades you pick instead of using the computer. I thought since you had used it already you would know. Thanks for your time.

Yes, I printed everything out. It is a lot of printing! I think I only actually printed out about 2 months worth at a time, we didn't use it any longer than that.

Looking through the samples now, it is definitely below what we're currently working on. I wonder if it is on par with public school standards.

Thanks for posting. I purchased this yesterday. It seemed ok for $5. I will be homeschooling my third grader this year. He has been in a pretty good PS the last two years (MFW for kinder). I've been looking for something similar to PS for language arts and science, for now. There are so many choices out there, it's so hard to choose. I was able to quickly look at the samples today and they seem ok. In PS he had a 3rd grade reading level last year. I would place him in 6th grade in this program. I would place him in 5th grade for science. I think the same for Math. So it looks good for us. We'll see. I don't know if it's worth the full price, I'm still so new to this. Also, thanks for the post about the auto renewal.

Edited by cmac

There was another thread about this a few weeks ago and I bought it then. I posted my thoughts on the first four lessons for first grade social studies but I'll say it again.

My DS is a 4 year old (reading at a high level and we're going to be doing K4 this year), but I wanted some general public-school like civics/community/etc curriculum before we jump into history with Story of the World or something else.

I really like how it is all online. My son loves working on the computer, learning to type, and so forth. I add a few links -- games or videos -- to every lesson. I asked him to do those then we read the lesson and do the worksheet together. The lesson part takes less than 5 minutes. We haven't printed out ANYTHING and I don't intend to. Each lesson can be read online and then the worksheet allows you to type in your answers. I print the worksheet page as a PDF because my son likes to "keep" things and that way he can go back and remember which lessons he's finished.

I cannot answer for grade level but lessons are VERY short and sweet. I like that. The 1st grade level SS is just right for my son (again, age 4).

The big problem I have with it is that it is so horribly written. I used to be an editor so maybe that's why I see it, but in the four lessons I've read, I've come across at least that many grammatical errors and typos. One lesson, about George Washington and the cherry tree legend spelled cherry "cheery" at least three times! I certainly don't want to use a language arts curriculum if the producers of the curriculum cannot at least proofread. It seems very unprofessional in that regard.

And thanks for the heads up on the auto renewal....must make sure to turn that off.

As for on par with public schools, we were in IL and my son's school tested around the 90th percentile. At the end of second grade I think they briefly covered nouns and verbs. Their science and social studies was very light. They were mainly focused on reading and math. If you need specifics on what they covered in his school at the end of second grade I can look it up from his old papers/workbooks. Hope this helps a little.

I tried it. For $5 you can't beat it. I wouldn't pay full price, however. It is very much a public school, workbooky approach. Even that isn't bad all of the time, but this particular website loads very very slowly and I find that annoying when I'm poking around looking to put lessons together. I did email their customer support also and got no response. Red flag there.

I noticed the automatic renewal. I canceled it right away!

If you can, take a look at the 10th grade Biology. Each lesson was about 1 or 2 pages long. Barely any reading.

CK-12 is a lot better in that department. I honestly think CK-12 looks VERY good so far. We'll see how I feel once I start actually planning lessons though. LOL

I'm using the Earth Science for my 5th and 7th grader.

Thanks for the input, ladies. I was considering it for $5 but now reading the posts..... I'm going to leave it alone! :lol: I love this site and how you can talk to other homeschooling moms and find out things before learning them the hard way. I know it's only $5 but I don't want anything that remotely looks like public school.

I did the $5, mostly because my DD is cranking through math like she gets a prize at the end right now, and I figured it was worth it to get the math books as a supplement, especially since DD still needs worksheets but is getting to the level where a lot of the textbooks expect her to copy problems over. I like Teacher File Box better for this purpose-but TFB is a lot more expensive.

yes, I think they are having issues. I sent a note to customer service. They said I needed to enter my credit card info again because I had also never been charged. So I entered my info again, then cancelled the auto renew. I still haven't been charged the $4.95.

In general, I find this site very unprofessional. I wonder if I'll be able to keep access to my custom-made textbook for a whole school year or if it's going to be causing problems...Just not feeling very confident.

ck-12:

http://www.ck12.org/flexbook/

customizable, free, curriculum-aligned content for K-12

After looking at it quickly, it looks like it's more for the upper grades. No luck finding language arts for my 3rd grader. Their spelling flexbook was too hard for me.

As for the auto renewal, I didn't have any problems cancelling it.

I looked at that. I also was disappointed as I'm looking for lower grades.

At this time I would advise against using Complete Curriculum. The website is down very often. There is NO way to download the books. You can only view them one lesson at a time. On their Facebook page, they remove all messages that are unfavorable. The message will stay up for about a week, and then suddenly it's gone. I watched a lot of complaints and questions go missing. The customer service is non-existent unless you owe them money. :glare: