Menu

I need someone to have a baby so I can make this quilt

Seriously, I know my fabric hoarding is bad, but I am trying to shape up a little about it. I do not know anyone pregnant right now but I NEED this fabric!! Maybe I will just make one anyways and save it for a rainy day. Is this too adorable?

Urban Zoology fabric

I'll get right on it!!!

My DD would love it at 5 :) So maybe you don't even need a baby.

No, what you need is to whip up some aprons!

That is adorable fabric and now I want it, too.

But I think it would make darling aprons. :D

OH! Now that's an idea! I would seriously wear one too. Those little giraffes and chickies are too cute for words.

Seriously, I know my fabric hoarding is bad, but I am trying to shape up a little about it. I do not know anyone pregnant right now but I NEED this fabric!! Maybe I will just make one anyways and save it for a rainy day. Is this too adorable?

Urban Zoology fabric

I love that fabric!

And I am pregnant....with a girl.....due in Dec....just sayin' :D

Why don't you make the quilt (and use your stash to make a few more) and donate it to a women's shelter, or NICU/PICU or crisis nursery etc. Those babies could use a beautiful quilt.

Then again if you are making an apron I am placing my order now :lol:

Edited by swellmomma

I love the owls!!!!

Heck, I love them all.

that's the one I fell in love with.

My problem is I have like 7 rubbermaids of fabric and i don't sew lol. I keep meaning to start but I never have time. I did make my first quilt topd for dd but never finished off yet. I still might need that fabric though ;)

not meaning to high jack but would it be horribly hard to hand sew a twin size quilt? My 3 year old dd loves most of the fabrics here and has stuff to match some of it already in her room (she has a stuffed blue bird pillow) and would love to make her one if it isn't too hard (i'm not into sewing machines, they don't like me)

Urban Zoology fabric

Ohhhh, man!! I dont' like you anymore :D::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I've been avoiding this thread like MAD.....but, it just keeps popping up. I finally succumbed and looked.......

DO you have ANY idea how mad my husband would be if I purchased more fabric?!?!?!?!??! :D:D:D:D:D

HOrrible thread........

horrible fabric........

.....i wonder if i can sneak it into the house.....

Kris, who is NOT being serious

Why don't you make the quilt (and use your stash to make a few more) and donate it to a women's shelter, or NICU/PICU or crisis nursery etc. Those babies could use a beautiful quilt.

That is an excellent idea! I am working on a baby quilt right now, but the mom-to-be (well, baby is here, actually) picked different colors than what I originally dreamed the design to be. I keep looking for a reason to make the one I wanted, and that is exactly what I plan to do with it when I do make it -- Linus Project is such a great organization!

When I fall in love with fabric like that, I make pillowcases. I use them to wrap birthday presents.

ooooh, love that idea!

not meaning to high jack but would it be horribly hard to hand sew a twin size quilt? My 3 year old dd loves most of the fabrics here and has stuff to match some of it already in her room (she has a stuffed blue bird pillow) and would love to make her one if it isn't too hard (i'm not into sewing machines, they don't like me)

If you are a confident hand sew-er, it should be fine. I have so far only ever worked by hand (didn't have a machine, then the one I got doesn't like me) and so far I've finished one lap sized quilt, am 2/3rds done with a full-size bed quilt, am almost done with a baby quilt, and am working on a queen size quilt as well.

It's not hard, just slower. Take it one block at a time, then put the blocks into rows or quadrants, then put the quadrants together and you have a quilt top. Then layer with batting and a backing fabric (if you are not in a super cold area, you can get by with using just one layer of flannel as the back and skip putting batting in the middle) and quilt either yourself by hand (this is the part that would take a long time) or hire a friend to quilt it for you.

My suggestion: do a quilt top that involves large pieces if you are working by hand; the fewer seams you have to join, the faster the top comes together (in my experience), and the sooner you'll see the kind of progress that encourages you to keep going.

All that said, yes, it is totally doable. Have fun!!

Ohhhh, man!! I dont' like you anymore

I've been avoiding this thread like MAD.....but, it just keeps popping up. I finally succumbed and looked.......

DO you have ANY idea how mad my husband would be if I purchased more fabric?!?!?!?!??!

HOrrible thread........

horrible fabric........

.....i wonder if i can sneak it into the house.....

Kris, who is NOT being serious

LOL, Kris, how did I not realize you were a fabric lover??? What do you do with your fabric when you get some? Quilt? Other?

I'm just glad I have boys so that those pink animals don't tempt me at all. Not one little tiny bit. Really. :lol:

eta: Kris, I had to delete your smilies you put so many!! And now I actually scrolled down on that fabric listing.....bad idea. Very bad idea. What are you people trying to do to me?!?

LOL, Kris, how did I not realize you were a fabric lover??? What do you do with your fabric when you get some? Quilt? Other?

I'm just glad I have boys so that those pink animals don't tempt me at all. Not one little tiny bit. Really. :lol:

eta: Kris, I had to delete your smilies you put so many!! And now I actually scrolled down on that fabric listing.....bad idea. Very bad idea. What are you people trying to do to me?!?

Oh?!!? I quilt! I also make clothing. Honestly, I'm a seamstress in remission. Japan was BAD for me!!! :D (that better? only one smilie) My favorite is quilting,....thought would you believe only ONE of my quilts are in my house. When dd was 3 she got upset and wanted a quilt that we would KEEP in OUR house. LOL, she got a quilt in pinks.

Now I give quilting classes, in person though....not so good with the long distance help.

AND.....

I'll admit it.

I have a fabric fetish. I LOVE it!! You've seen the quote, "Whomever with the most fabric when they die, wins" Well, I WIN!! 'Cause I'm going to have MINE and MY mother's and MY MIL's.

OKay, not really anymore. I've gotten much better about DOING something with my stash.

Kris

I would NOT hand sew an entire twin sized quilt. I can make a twin sized quilt top in a day or so if it is a simple patter. If you REALLY want to make one I could probably help you out. You'd have to send me fabric or something LOL.

Have you ever quilted anything?

As far as help, I'm putting a blog together and plan to post lots of tutorials. Thanks to everyone here, it has a name :D.

I have made several quilts for just that :D

I also sent blocks for quilts of Valor the past couple years.

I"M SO making some aprons!! I need to wait one more week for a renewed fabric budget.

What would be an easy pattern? What about using yarn to tie it (I had a quilt when I was little that used yarn to keep the batting and all together instead of quilting with thread)?

Oh and how much fabric and thread? I can handsew but am a complete dunce when it comes to getting things figured out if it isn't spelled out for me

ok I know I am asking a lot of questions but is there a website that will help me coordinate fabrics?

That is a lot of questions, LOL! But no problem, we all have to start somewhere!!

The quilt I'm doing for my son that is going together fast and easy is called a Rail Fence pattern. Basically, you take 3 or 4 strips in 2 or more colors/fabrics for each block. You can make these strips as wide and long as you like and you sew the strips together.

There's a great technique you can do where you sew really LONG strips together and then cut them; for machine work it's great, for hand, I think it's easier to stay straight with something short enough that you can handle.

For my son's, I did 3 strips, 4.5" wide by 12.5" long. Sew the strips side by side, using a .25" seam allowance (meaning you sew 1/4" from the edge). I draw a line using a chalk pencil & a ruler, then sew on that line. Then you have a stack of blocks that are each made up of these 3 strips. To make the quilt, then, you put the blocks together but turn every other block so that they alternate -- horizontal strips next to vertical strips, make sense? My son's quilt is full size and has 6 blocks across x 7 blocks down; I'd have to do some math to figure twin sized.

Other easy patterns are things like a 4-patch (4 squares sewn together in traditional patchwork), or square w/in a square (a center square, then narrower strips sewn around each edge to frame that center square).

And, yes, you could tie either with yarn or by stitching thread in the corners; if you can do any simple decorative stitching by hand, you could do a decorative stitch in the corners where the seams meet. If you use just flannel to back it (or fleece or something) that would especially be okay; the thing is with batting you want it not slipping around in there when you wash the quilt, since she'll be using it on her bed.

For figuring fabric requirements and matching fabric, see if there's a little quilt shop in your town and they can help you (but do not let them talk you out of it; the first quilt I did, the lady who made the pattern was at the shop and horrified I was going to do it by hand and really not encouraging at all....). Or, you can buy what are called "jelly rolls" or charm packs or layer cakes, etc. (sets of pre-matched, pre-cut fabric; that link to Fat Quarter Shop is a GREAT place to shop). There are even books out there all about jelly roll patterns.

If you figure a pattern you'd like I can draw something on the computer and email you with fabric requirements for a twin sized quilt; but if so, private message me in case I don't see the reply here. I have a computer program that lets me very easily draw a pattern and calculates all the math out for me.

Oh?!!? I quilt! I also make clothing. Honestly, I'm a seamstress in remission. Japan was BAD for me!!! :D (that better? only one smilie) My favorite is quilting,....thought would you believe only ONE of my quilts are in my house. When dd was 3 she got upset and wanted a quilt that we would KEEP in OUR house. LOL, she got a quilt in pinks.

Now I give quilting classes, in person though....not so good with the long distance help.

AND.....

I'll admit it.

I have a fabric fetish. I LOVE it!! You've seen the quote, "Whomever with the most fabric when they die, wins" Well, I WIN!! 'Cause I'm going to have MINE and MY mother's and MY MIL's.

OKay, not really anymore. I've gotten much better about DOING something with my stash.

Kris

LOL, yes, better on the smilies. The first time I got an error message that my post had 10 and can only have 8, so I had to delete yours :) ha!

How did I never know this??? (did you get my PM so you know who I am? You sent me a super-hero t-shirt once, if that jogs your memory.....)

would love to see some of your quilts (photos) sometime! I just started not too long ago and am having so.much.fun. I do NOT do garments though - wow. those seem so much harder than quilts! You go, girl!!!

Somebody already probably volunteered a baby; but jfwiw, my mom makes blankets for any foster kids we have (whether 2 week respite or forever kids or anyone inbetween). Maybe you could pick a foster home (or if you are feeling very industrious an agency) to make things for the children as they come into care (or even just into that home or agency which is what we do).

Of course, it doesn't have to be foster. It could be a room or floor at the hospital. It could be the NICU, etc.

LOL, yes, better on the smilies. The first time I got an error message that my post had 10 and can only have 8, so I had to delete yours :) ha!

How did I never know this??? (did you get my PM so you know who I am? You sent me a super-hero t-shirt once, if that jogs your memory.....)

would love to see some of your quilts (photos) sometime! I just started not too long ago and am having so.much.fun. I do NOT do garments though - wow. those seem so much harder than quilts! You go, girl!!!

LOL, no, I didn't get the PM. I never remember to look up there. But, I know who you are LOL!!! YOU're the crazy lady who convinced me to move to Japan.

Clothes are easy, though not as easy as most quilts. Other than her "coming home" outfit, I didn't purchase Lori a single new outfit until she was 3.

As for my quilts.....would you believe I don't have a single picture of one of my own. I could go and take a picture of Lori's, but it's hot and I'm whiny this afternoon. 101.5 on my back patio. 82.9 in the house WITH the ac on.

UGH.

Kris