Menu

Woman is suing little league player after being hit by a ball

Hunh. Dh, dc, and I were hit by a bat at a major league game, and it was televised. My kids were little, about 2 and 6, and I'd scored free tickets from my job. Dh stuck his arm out across us, the bat bounced off of his arm and into a woman behind us. She chose to change seats after that. While the ballpark personnel were wonderful, it never crossed our minds to sue (or ask for anything at all).

I sit higher up now (because I no longer get free tickets). I'm much more vigilant, and I'd suggest anyone with small children never, ever sit in the front row. ;)

Oh man! That just stinks! And, I am totally in agreement with the father and child in this case. My dh and I have a lot in common with this family - we both ran the concession stand (NUMEROUS hours). And, we are both VERY involved in Little LEague. And I agree that LL needs to step up here and help in this case.

My dh was sued as president of a local ll! People are crazy these days.

That's crazy--but at least he's an adult! And why was she sitting close enough to the bullpen for a stray pitch to hit her in the first place? I mean, she knows these are kids, not major-leaguers, right??

I was hit in the face by a foul ball during a church baseball game of adults and teens. I was fine and this one a foul ball hit by a teen, full smack in my face. No injuries, no nothing. So come on $150,000 in medical costs and loss of "services" to her husband!!!! from a throw by an 11 year old. What a nightmare for the young boy and his family, what a stupid lawsuit. I hope a judge throws this out and this woman should be ashamed for sueing a child, but then she must have no shame or she would not be dragging this on

p.s. the teen that hit me was so sorry, I told him it was an accident and I was fine. Does this woman not know what "an accident" is sometimes accidents happen, that poor boy having to go thru this.

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

I can only sum this up as a WTF moment. What is this woman thinking!?!?!? They are demanding a jury trial, a jury is going to take a look at this and be like woman you are an imbecile.

ETA: to me sitting near an ongoing game would mean there is a reasonable expectation that there could be errant balls. Sure he may have done it maliciously but at this stage it seems highly unlikely he saw her and goes "oh goody I'm gonna throw a ball at her face"

Edited by jillian

In all fairness, we don't know the details of her claim or why she and her attorney feel her claim has merit. I believe her claim is that the child's throw was intentional and reckless. If she can prove it was with a preponderance of the evidence, then she is entitled to damages. Every article I read had quotes from the defendants, but that doesn't mean it is the whole story.

Uness there are relevant facts not stated in the article, the lawsuit is frivolous. Hopefully a judge will see it that way and entertain a motion for attorney's fees.

:iagree: I hope the suing couple has to pay the other family's legal fees. But the dad made it sound like they are going to settle to avoid putting the kids through a trial.

:iagree: I hope the suing couple has to pay the other family's legal fees. But the dad made it sound like they are going to settle to avoid putting the kids through a trial.

I wondered about this. My fear is that it would set some sort of precedence. Then any child who plays in little league is a potential target for these lawsuits.

I have a couple boys who can throw, and this would make me hesitant to let them join LL.

I was hit in the face by a foul ball during a church baseball game of adults and teens. I was fine and this one a foul ball hit by a teen, full smack in my face. No injuries, no nothing. So come on $150,000 in medical costs and loss of "services" to her husband!!!! from a throw by an 11 year old. What a nightmare for the young boy and his family, what a stupid lawsuit. I hope a judge throws this out and this woman should be ashamed for sueing a child, but then she must have no shame or she would not be dragging this on

p.s. the teen that hit me was so sorry, I told him it was an accident and I was fine. Does this woman not know what "an accident" is sometimes accidents happen, that poor boy having to go thru this.

Last year in our state a Little League player died from being hit in the chest by a pitch (13-14 yo division). It was just one of those freak things. He turned into the pitch inside of away from it. The force of the pitch was enough to stop his heart. Simply awful! In our league we had a kid get hit in the face with a hit ball (11-12 yo division) and ended up with a broken nose. We've also had broken fingers.

When my oldest was about 11 I would be the batter while he practiced his pitching. After suffering several large round bruises on my thighs, I said I'm done! I guess I don't move fast enough to get out of the way. :001_smile: Anyway, my point is that you were fortunate not to have been injured! She could very well have had $150,000 in medical bills if she had broken bones but I totally agree that this lawsuit is ridiculous. If she could prove the kid threw it at her face maliciously, then she might have a case. Sounds like it was just being at the wrong place at the wrong time.