Menu

Crochet clusterEDITED BY MODERATOR! Please help.

I don't even know how to describe the problem. I was crocheting and I noticed that the I had skipped an end stitch at the end of the last few rows. So I unraveled them and prepared to redo those rows. I stopped at the end of a row where there just happen to be a tie in to a new line of thread. The knot was throwing the ending out of whack so I pulled it back a bit farther and was just going to cut it and move the knot farther in the row. Well, I don't know what happened but the row would not unravel. I tried snipping where the problem seem to be and that didn't help so then I snipped the other end and thought I could just unravel from that end, tie on a new thread and continue. Well that didn't work either and now I have two have done rows with four lose threads coming out of them and then top row left is stretched out of shape. How do I fix this without losing too many more rows? Is untying any of these four threads that are sticking out doing any good at all or is the some way I can just cut the messed up part loose and start over from a good spot. I don't know how to describe it any better than this other than instead of the rows unraveling like when you pull a chain stitch, I am having to go back and actually untie the stitches. :confused:

I am a little confused as well. Is it that you have thread from where you retied after cutting out a knot?

Once you do get to safe spot in your work. I would attempt to salvage the stretched row, by doing the next a little bit tighter and then the following back to the original. After you finish the piece you can hang it, spray it down, or lay flat and reshape.

But, I am not sure what you are making. :confused:

What sort of yarn are you using. Boucle is notorious for knotting.

What stitch were you doing? You're really not supposed to crochet over the knots. The knots from the factory may or may not actually hold through use and washing. There is a group on ravelry that help unravel messy yarn. Maybe they can help?

I was crocheting a single crochet blanket. Not that difficult. I am using a chenille which is quite stretchy and has made it difficult to maintain tension but over all things were going well. Then I noticed that on the last few rows I had dropped a stitch at the end of each row. I tried to unravel it so that I could go back and fix it but it wouldn't unravel. I tried snipping the end so I could get a thread to unravel and that didn't work so I tried the same thing at the other end and it didn't work either. Basically I could not unravel the work and the only way to undo at all was to untie each stitch by hand backwards. I don't understand why it won't just unravel like normal. I have been up half the night working on it and I am quite frustrated. At this point the only way I see to recover is to unravel from the other end (about 1/2 the blanket) and start over from the beginning. That's a loss of about three months work. And I am the kind of person that my stress level will not go down until I am pretty close to back where I was. :glare:

So, are you saying that you can unravel from the other end (the beginning)? To me, that means that you are going to place where your foundation row is. Normally, you can't unravel from that end. You can only untie those stitches just like you are describing the problem areas....the stitches only will untie by hand. No way can you do that for very many rows. Sounds to me like your work is backwards. I have never had where my rows I am currently working on will not unravel except when using a nasty yarn that 'gets stuck'.

Is there any way you can fill in the missing areas with a piece added into your work? It all depends on the look of your pattern....would it hide the added piece well? ed

And I feel your pain about stressing until you are back to where you were. I do the same thing. If I rip out a couple rows, I have to sit there until it's all back again looking tidy and happy. :) So, don't do anything drastic. Three months is a lot of work to catch up on. I would set it aside for a day or so, catch up on your sleep, and maybe an easy fix will present itself.

Edited by LatinTea

And I feel your pain about stressing until you are back to where you were. I do the same thing. If I rip out a couple rows, I have to sit there until it's all back again looking tidy and happy. :) So, don't do anything drastic. Three months is a lot of work to catch up on. I would set it aside for a day or so, catch up on your sleep, and maybe an easy fix will present itself.

:iagree: I often find stepping back for a bit helpful too.

I was crocheting a single crochet blanket. Not that difficult. I am using a chenille which is quite stretchy and has made it difficult to maintain tension but over all things were going well. Then I noticed that on the last few rows I had dropped a stitch at the end of each row. I tried to unravel it so that I could go back and fix it but it wouldn't unravel. I tried snipping the end so I could get a thread to unravel and that didn't work so I tried the same thing at the other end and it didn't work either. Basically I could not unravel the work and the only way to undo at all was to untie each stitch by hand backwards. I don't understand why it won't just unravel like normal. I have been up half the night working on it and I am quite frustrated. At this point the only way I see to recover is to unravel from the other end (about 1/2 the blanket) and start over from the beginning. That's a loss of about three months work. And I am the kind of person that my stress level will not go down until I am pretty close to back where I was. :glare:

Ahh OK, I think I know what you're saying. The fibre of the yarn got all knotted as you frogged it and made you a nice knot and can't frog it past that row.

The other problem is that your ends are uneven because you dropped a stitch and instead of a nice straight edge, you have a bit of an angle.

Is that it?

If it is, just keep going. Forget trying to frog it, and keep going, back out to the correct number of stitches (you using a counter?).

THEN, what you want to do is make a pretty edging around the whole thing. First do a single crochet row around the perimeter of the whole blanket (perhaps a double in the little valley of dropped counts) , then, pick a nice edging, lace, scallop, there are gorgeous ones out there--Crochet Borders is a book you should have in your toolbox-or find something on pinterest.

I have never had where my rows I am currently working on will not unravel except when using a nasty yarn that 'gets stuck'.

I would put chenille yarn in the nasty yarn category. It can easily get stuck/tangled since it is a thread core with bits of fluff stuck into that core. So essentially you have fuzzy string. Trying to unravel chenille? Bad news!

I find myself wondering what goes on in ModeratorWorld when a bomb like that gets dropped in this forum. I imagine a deafening klaxon and red flashing lights, the mod dropping Moby Dick or The Hunchback tome on his big toe, elbows akimbo, sloshing the tea over the saucer and beyond, hurriedly trying to clean up the title mess before a whole slew of "OMG I canNOT believe what someone just posted!!!!" threads erupt....

Kids, you totally crack me up! I hope you work out that frustration soon. Attempting to crochet would definitely add some spice to my vocabulary...:D

I find myself wondering what goes on in ModeratorWorld when a bomb like that gets dropped in this forum. I imagine a deafening klaxon and red flashing lights, the mod dropping Moby Dick or The Hunchback tome on his big toe, elbows akimbo, sloshing the tea over the saucer and beyond, hurriedly trying to clean up the title mess before a whole slew of "OMG I canNOT believe what someone just posted!!!!" threads erupt....

:lol::lol:

Kids, you totally crack me up! I hope you work out that frustration soon. Attempting to crochet would definitely add some spice to my vocabulary...:D

:smilielol5: I'm just surprised it lasted as long as it did.

I want to know what it originally said! :D :bigear:

It was a bad word that had been somewhat editted with symbols so that the meaning was still clear without any actual bad words being typed. I have to admit that I like the moderator's edit even better though. :tongue_smilie:

Attempting to crochet would definitely add some spice to my vocabulary...:D

Crochet is the one of the few things in my life right now that doesn't want something from me, is always there when I am in the mood, relaxes my weary nerves, and does what I want it to. ;)

:lol: I was a wee bit crabby yesterday.