Menu

WWYD?

WWYD? (selling problem)  

1. 1. WWYD? (selling problem)

• Return Money In Full - Forget about the book
    • Split the loss - Return the purchase price minus the shipping
    • No Return - It's a scam
    • Other - WWYD?

I am fairly new to this website, but am loving it. I found it while I was searching for next years curriculi. I started a couple of posts (eg-Pediatric Oral Surgery) and I have answered a few as well. Then I saw that I could sell some of my books that are taking up space over here. So I put out some posts on that. I sold a book "Abeka Our America 2nd Grade" for pretty cheap $5 ppd. It sells used on Amazon.com for $8/10 Well the buyer just got the book and she is demanding her full money back without returning the book, because it has been used. It is written in pencil, so can be erased. Like I said I am new to this site and was not aware that I had to state (in detail) the condition of every item I sell. If she was that concerned with it, shouldn't she have asked beforehand? I am trying to be nice about it, but really, I do not think I should be out the shipping AND the book. Plus there is another member who wants the book and she could re-sell to them, but she refuses. I hate to say it but I believe I am being scammed so she can end up with a free book. :( Please advise........

As to what to do I'm not sure, but yes, you do need to state in detail the condition of the book. I would have erased it myself and then listed it as such ie book had pencil markings that were erased, etc.

On Amazon you are expected to list the condition I don't expect it to be any different here. I don't think she should have to resell something if she doesn't want to either. Shipping can be a pain and maybe she doesn't want to do it.

I would not be happy if the listing hadn't stated that it was completed already. Pencil marks can be erased BUT my kids can still read the indentations and left marks and read the entire answers. I have tried.

I would never buy a book with it completed and would expect ANY markings to be noted in the condition of the book (ex: lessons 1-10 completed in pencil.)

I would pay her the money back and chalk it up to lesson learned. Thankfully this wasn't an expensive book.

Next time make sure you list the condition and erase whatever you can.

I know there are some people here who have been hit hard by the economy and $5 is a lot for them. But $5 for a used book postage paid is like $2.50 for the book and $2.50 for shipping. I don't know what else the buyer expected.

It may not be a scam, but I think someone maybe having a bad day. She should sell the book to the person who wants it and get her $5 back that way.

You guys will just have to leave each other bad feedback since neither of you are satisfied with the sale/purchase.

I have no idea how your ad was written but, I have purchased many used books over my 15 years of homeschooling and it is *usual and customary* to me for someone to disclose the condition of a book, including if there is *any* writing/highlighting in it. The questions that I feel are my responsibility to ask are those that might matter *only to my family* which, for us, are if the books are from a pet-free/smoke-free home...due to allergies.

Edited by MSPolly

Yeah, I know. I just hate feeling "used" myself LOL

For $5 I might just refund the money. By the time you have her send it back, it's not really worth it.

It's why I don't sell stuff. It's just too much of a pain for that piddly amount of money.

Ideally you should try to give detailed descriptions of the condition. Even the pencil marks.

I once bought a book listed as new, on another site, and when I got it there was crayon marks all over the cover. I didn't consider that the end of the world and otherwise it seemed in great condition, but I don't think one can call that new.

Thanks :) I know what you mean sometimes the kids can still see the erased markings.

Before I listed it I checked it, you know, by skimming throughbut didn't see any places to write in, so didn't check further. The writting part is maybe in 10 place in the book.

I would not be happy if the listing hadn't stated that it was completed already. Pencil marks can be erased BUT my kids can still read the indentations and left marks and read the entire answers. I have tried.

I would never buy a book with it completed and would expect ANY markings to be noted in the condition of the book (ex: lessons 1-10 completed in pencil.)

I would pay her the money back and chalk it up to lesson learned. Thankfully this wasn't an expensive book.

Buyers definitely assume that extensive writing in a book will be mentioned. It's too bad that she doesn't want to sell it to the next buyer, but I don't think you're being scammed - rather that she doesn't want to mess with collecting money, packaging, and shipping.

For $5, I would definitely take the loss and consider it a lesson learned.

And, welcome to the boards!

"Used" does not typically mean that the answers have been written in when it comes to workbooks. A "used" book probably has shelf-wear and possibly a *few* pages have been written in (disclosed ahead of time) but that's it.

I have been GIVEN workbooks by people where the answers were written in pencil and I had to erase them, but I would NEVER pay money for a workbook like that.

Not trying to be mean, but giving you a "head's up" about the expectations about selling used curricula. That $8-10 price you're seeing at Amazon are for workbooks that may not be new but have not been written in.

Yes, I am going to revise all my listings to make sure the condition is stated (I just have SO much for sale - and I am selling it crazy cheap, just to get rid of it).

Next time make sure you list the condition and erase whatever you can.

I know there are some people here who have been hit hard by the economy and $5 is a lot for them. But $5 for a used book postage paid is like $2.50 for the book and $2.50 for shipping. I don't know what else the buyer expected.

Yeah you are right, maybe bad day...we all have 'em :(It may not be a scam, but I think someone maybe having a bad day. She should sell the book to the person who wants it and get her $5 back that way.

I hate to do that, I will probably cave....and just give her what she wants :(You guys will just have to leave each other bad feedback since neither of you are satisfied with the sale/purchase.

Well, I do agree that generally, one shouldn't expect to keep a book AND get their money back. However, I think Dawn is right. Because this was such a low money exchange, there really isn't a very good alternative. I would just eat it.

BTW, you absolutely need to be clear about the condition of a book you sell. People may assume things like the book has been held open and may have a couple dog-eared pages. They aren't going to assume highlighting, completed pages, etc.

Thanks for the "heads up" :) I do appreciate it. I don't want to "break the rules" on hear, cause I love it so much, and want to be welcome.

"Used" does not typically mean that the answers have been written in when it comes to workbooks. A "used" book probably has shelf-wear and possibly a *few* pages have been written in (disclosed ahead of time) but that's it.

I have been GIVEN workbooks by people where the answers were written in pencil and I had to erase them, but I would NEVER pay money for a workbook like that.

Not trying to be mean, but giving you a "head's up" about the expectations about selling used curricula. That $8-10 price you're seeing at Amazon are for workbooks that may not be new but have not been written in.

Thanks :) That seems to be the consensus. So I am now going to go over all my for sale posts and make sure I have the condition on them :)

Well, I do agree that generally, one shouldn't expect to keep a book AND get their money back. However, I think Dawn is right. Because this was such a low money exchange, there really isn't a very good alternative. I would just eat it.

BTW, you absolutely need to be clear about the condition of a book you sell. People may assume things like the book has been held open and may have a couple dog-eared pages. They aren't going to assume highlighting, completed pages, etc.

I just figured $5 for a book (that usually sells for twice that).....but I guess some people expect more than I do.

Buyers definitely assume that extensive writing in a book will be mentioned. It's too bad that she doesn't want to sell it to the next buyer, but I don't think you're being scammed - rather that she doesn't want to mess with collecting money, packaging, and shipping.

For $5, I would definitely take the loss and consider it a lesson learned.

And, welcome to the boards!

Just refund her money. It's only $5. As a buyer, I would not feel it my responsibility to pay shipping back to you. Do you really want to send her $2.50 just so she can mail it back, you can resell it and spend another $2,50 to mail it someplace else? You'd then be out $7.50 + time and headache for a $5 book. Not worth it.

For $5 I might just refund the money. By the time you have her send it back, it's not really worth it.

It's why I don't sell stuff. It's just too much of a pain for that piddly amount of money.

Ideally you should try to give detailed descriptions of the condition. Even the pencil marks.

I once bought a book listed as new, on another site, and when I got it there was crayon marks all over the cover. I didn't consider that the end of the world and otherwise it seemed in great condition, but I don't think one can call that new.

I would just refund her money too. And, yes, I would have expected that you would have disclosed that it had been written in.

As to the bolded comment above, I agree! I have some great like-new curriculum that I'm sure someone here would appreciate, but it just isn't worth it to sell it. I would even be happy to give it away, but I can't justify spending the time packaging it up, taking it to the post office, etc. If someone was local, I would just hand it over, but I guess I'll just recycle or throw away most of it. :confused:

I would just refund her money too. And, yes, I would have expected that you would have disclosed that it had been written in.

As to the bolded comment above, I agree! I have some great like-new curriculum that I'm sure someone here would appreciate, but it just isn't worth it to sell it. I would even be happy to give it away, but I can't justify spending the time packaging it up, taking it to the post office, etc. If someone was local, I would just hand it over, but I guess I'll just recycle or throw away most of it. :confused:

:iagree: with you and Wendy. I'll give it away to someone local (usually the library) before taking the time and trouble to sell it.

I am sorry to sound harsh but if you posted a book for sale that is a consumable (meaning you can write in it and it's only good for one child) and it was filled in and you didn't post that it was written in then it is your fault. Chalk it up to lesson learned. Refund the $5 and forget about the book.

I'm with the others who said refund. I have learned to ask about an item if there is nothing listed as to condition, is it the newest version etc. If someone posted the same thing for sale listing the condition and someone posted without the condition, I would go with the item with the listed condition. It saves the time of not having to email back and forth. I think listing more information about an item is better and helps with less hassle in the long run. It is hard to be out the money when you thought you were giving a great deal. On the other hand, it is out of your house so one less book to clean up;)

Welcome!

In case you miss something when updating your sale posts, I would also encourage you to look at the book again when someone inquires about it. I always look back over mine to make sure it matches my description. If there is any difference...even a bent cover....I pm the buyer to disclose it and make certain they still want it.

Honestly, I would not sell a book that had had the answers written in, erasable or not. Used means it's not new, not that it's been filled in. Many of us have our kids write answers on paper so that we don't ruin a book in one year, particularly if there are multiple children.

As someone who just received a 'used - good condition' book that happened to have all the answers filled in, I can tell you erasing it isn't the answer. I spent an hour erasing the pencil only to have my 11 year old look at it and say, "I don't know why you bothered, I can still see exactly what was written there." Yep, the pecile was gone but the indentations remain and the answers are very clear.

I'm not sure how you listed your book, but if she's correct about the condition, I would say you owe her a refund.