Menu

Year-Round Schooling when none of his friends do?

DS went to public school for Kindy. Last year we DID take a summer break--just the way it worked out, though I'd originally intended otherwise.

I really want to continue working, if perhaps a bit less, this summer. I was hoping if I gave DS time in the morning, he'd be willing/able to give me a couple hours after lunch. Theoretically 2 would be plenty for most of it, with maybe piano practice and chores done some other time.

But all his neighborhood friends are off school now, and he just wants to run around with them all the time. I can't seem to convince him that if we did a little bit right after breakfast, and a little bit right after lunch it would be done easy-peasy. He just fights it, takes forever to do the simplest things, takes frequent potty breaks, and/or snack breaks. Truly, kid, we could have been done if we could just get some uninterrupted time!

Thoughts? Does anyone else have this problem, and if so how do you deal with it?

We did it, anyway. It wasn't something I had to convince my children to do; it was what we did. I told neighborhood children that my dc would be out after lunch, and that was that. We also continued our weekly library visit and our weekly field trip, year-round.

If I let mine play first the day is shot, no getting around it! If school is to be done that day then we have to do it first thing. Mine are in middle school now and I'm so glad we got into the habit of starting at 9 sharp.

When they were younger they earned 10 minutes of play time for every subject they finished. They quickly learned they didn't like to stop playing after just 10 minutes so they then wanted to save up their time so it could be used in one chunk.

Another thing that helped us was to list on a dry erase board on the frig every subject they were doing that day. This helped them to see that there was an end to it and it became a challenge to get the list done. We STILL use this tool.

2 hours for summer for a 1st grader? Daily? That seems like too much. Generally people do 1 hour per grade level, I thought, even when doing full school. I'd do 1/2 a day and make it fun, or not do it. But that is from someone who gave up the idea of year round school for the very reasons you list.

If I WAS to do year round with a kid that age it wouldn't be every day, and over the summer I'd be sneaky and do math games, educational computer games, read alouds, etc....

I am trying one subject per day, flip flopping. We aren't covering history or science, just the fields I feel we can't "miss"

I also will agree with PPs that have said there is no "convincing"

eta: we keep our gymnastics practices and weekly library trips as typical

We have activities 9 to 1130 am a few days a week and then we go home for lunch and do an hour or 2 of school, then they can go play with friends. End of story. Complaining or whining = no friends for the day. Of course if there is something special or a sleepover or something we skip school. I only plan for 4 days a week over the summer. One or two hours of school can easily get done and there will still be plenty of time for play.

We school year round. Our rule is that when they wake up there is no screen, no tv, nothing except listening to the radio and eating breakfast. After breakfast no one goes anywhere or does anything until school is finished for the day AND I have looked over the work (to make sure no one did poor work just to get done).

It really doesn't take long to do and there is no reason why they can't spend a couple hours (depending on age) right after breakfast. If they want to get outside to play sooner then they can get up earlier.

We school during the summer but only because the kids get the entire month of March off and about three weeks off around Christmas time. And even then they get days off here and there because of other activities. If you already do a full school year then you might want to consider keeping a light schedule during the summer months. I also agree with a pp that 2 hours for a 1st grader is a lot. That would be a full day of work here for one that young.

We school year round. Our rule is that when they wake up there is no screen, no tv, nothing except listening to the radio and eating breakfast. After breakfast no one goes anywhere or does anything until school is finished for the day AND I have looked over the work (to make sure no one did poor work just to get done).

It really doesn't take long to do and there is no reason why they can't spend a couple hours (depending on age) right after breakfast. If they want to get outside to play sooner then they can get up earlier.

This is pretty much how we go, too.

I'm one of those parents who really doesn't care what "everyone else" does, though. This is *our* life. We have chosen to homeschool and, among other things, choose what schedule we keep. My kids know they can either focus and do the "must do" things, or their "want to do" things get bumped off the schedule (not in a punitive way, there's just a finite time in the day to spend on "things" and fun time is lower on the priority list).

Is it an ongoing conversation? Yes. They're 11 and 7. But we dot negotiate our priorities based on other people's priorities/schedules.

2 hours for summer for a 1st grader? Daily? That seems like too much. Generally people do 1 hour per grade level, I thought, even when doing full school. I'd do 1/2 a day and make it fun, or not do it. But that is from someone who gave up the idea of year round school for the very reasons you list.

If I WAS to do year round with a kid that age it wouldn't be every day, and over the summer I'd be sneaky and do math games, educational computer games, read alouds, etc....

No, no, no, he's finishing up 2nd grade.

If I let mine play first the day is shot, no getting around it! If school is to be done that day then we have to do it first thing. Mine are in middle school now and I'm so glad we got into the habit of starting at 9 sharp.

When they were younger they earned 10 minutes of play time for every subject they finished. They quickly learned they didn't like to stop playing after just 10 minutes so they then wanted to save up their time so it could be used in one chunk.

Another thing that helped us was to list on a dry erase board on the frig every subject they were doing that day. This helped them to see that there was an end to it and it became a challenge to get the list done. We STILL use this tool.

I do an assignment book that I write all the things we need to do each day on. I like the idea of a visual reminder, but I also like having the historic record.

Hmmmmm, the 10 minutes per subject is an interesting idea.... Would also help with his concept of time....

We school during the summer but only because the kids get the entire month of March off and about three weeks off around Christmas time. And even then they get days off here and there because of other activities. If you already do a full school year then you might want to consider keeping a light schedule during the summer months. I also agree with a pp that 2 hours for a 1st grader is a lot. That would be a full day of work here for one that young.

That's the thing, we get a lot of time off around the holidays and birthdays, cuz I have a hard time balancing everything. I am trying to keep the schedule light: a little bit of math review, some MCT language arts very stretched out, and a little bit of history or science, and the occasional composer study. He's continuing his piano lessons so he needs to practice, and I want him to keep up his Latin, so I've been having him practice his flashcards. But no direct Latin instruction. Mostly we're doing the same subjects, just I'm stretching it out more, and not doing extra readings and stuff.

We do a lighter version in the summer. Review, lots of read alouds outside under the tree, that type of thing. We may start some new things as well.

My kids can play with the neighborhood kids when their work is finished. They have griped a few times about school in the summer, but I remind them we take an extended break at Christmas, we take time off as needed during the year, we take vacation in May or Sept most years when other kids are sitting in school. So, the tradeoff for that flexibility is that we need to do some work in the summer. Our co-op with friends will kick off in mid August.

This is pretty much how we go, too.

I'm one of those parents who really doesn't care what "everyone else" does, though. This is *our* life. We have chosen to homeschool and, among other things, choose what schedule we keep. My kids know they can either focus and do the "must do" things, or their "want to do" things get bumped off the schedule (not in a punitive way, there's just a finite time in the day to spend on "things" and fun time is lower on the priority list).

Is it an ongoing conversation? Yes. They're 11 and 7. But we don't negotiate our priorities based on other people's priorities/schedules.

:iagree:

Friends will accept that he is unavailable until after a certain time.

If he procrastinates, he's hurting himself. Stay firm, consistent, and repeat the expectation and the plan. He'll get it.

Either he's choosing to cooperate and get his work done (no lolly gagging) or he's choosing to stay in longer.

He may need a written schedule and a timer.

Cooperation and a positive attitude earn major cool points. (example ice cream on Friday)

Set a goal 1200 points (any amount but end on Friday)

Gain points toward his goal for good workmanship, attitude, etc...

Lose points for pouting, taking 15 minutes in the bathroom. But emphasize the good.

Ohh.... you want to walk like a turtle and go super slooooowww today.

OK, today is Terrific Turtle Tuesday!!

Well, you'll work for 10 extra minutes to make up the time but...

When your work is done you will earn 100 additional points if you can research three types of turtle. You must draw or sketch a really super picture (paint with water colors, make one with clay, etc...) What's the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?

When we go to the library you have to get 2 books on turtles. 200 points if you can give an articulate oral report on all about your turtle research.

These are ideas but you want him to enjoy his summer learning.

Switch it up. His friends will wish they could hang out with him in the morning.

If the grumbles still continue - oh well... sometimes we just do what we gotta do.

;)

Edited by Karis
changed activities

This is pretty much how I do it too, and always have, even when the kids were still doing public school. This is the first time I'm homeschooling both and try know their "morning work" must get done before anything else. They do math, grammar, handwriting, and reading. They normally aren't allowed outside until ten, so they are pretty good at making sure everything is done by then or it delays playtime.

I always think that your oldest is younger than you really feel he/she is. 7 is soooo little and it will fly so fast. At that age, maybe a math lesson after breakfast (or before if you don't eat right away) and some bedtime or lunchtime reading would be plenty to keep him from losing skills over the summer.

We have always schooled year round.

Some of our homeschool friends, some do not.

Our public/private school friends are out of school now.

I have always told DS, "We set our own schedule. We school in the summer so we have the freedom to take more time off in the spring and fall. Kids in traditional schools go nine months straight with three months off in a row. We take time off when we want so we can get out when the weather is good."

I also show him our school schedule so he knows in advance when we are doing school and when we are taking off. He can see that we are schooling 3-4 days a week where his p/p schooled friends go five days every week. He can see that we take a month off in the spring and fall.

Talk it up as a good thing.

Let him see your school schedule/plans.

We have the same schedule in the summer as we do in the winter. I don't convince the kids, I make the schedule and they live with it.

We take one week a month off and that leaves us with four extra vacation weeks that float around until we want or need them.

Youngest ds thinks this is perfectly normal, it has been this way all his life. Older ds has accepted it and will tell his friends that he has to finish his work first. Dd doesn't care too much, her best friend spends the summers out of state with her dad.

Edited by lionfamily1999