Menu

Have you ever gave up curriculum

mom2agang

That you loved the idea of it but it doesn't fit your homeschool style. For an instance I love Total Language plus. But it just doesn't fit my teaching style with my kids.I love teaching as a huge group.TLP I would need 4 guides going. Were as a group I do IEW writing and the Mother tongue for writing and grammar. Has anyone else gave favorites?

Yup. It was RightStart for us. I love the idea of teaching all the concepts at once - place value to 1000, completely hands-on, etc. but I am a big-picture person and I could not see where it was going, so I felt like I taught it in a very disjointed, do-the-next-thing way without understanding why I was teaching using the particular exercise.

I've given up curricula that seemed like a great idea to me, but didn't work out that way when we implemented it. The reason varied: it was not a good fit for my daughter's learning style; I couldn't wrap my head around how to make it work once I had it in hand; it took too much time for the return; etc. Ours have been:

FLL

Miquon

Singapore

MCTLA

R.E.A.L Science

Yeah. :( I think I've given up Prof. B Math. I love it and I still heavily lean on teaching methods I have learned from it for individual concepts but the program in total - I just can't seem to purely do math that way. It is very scripted and sequential (or do I mean systematic? .. or both?) while I am very informal and tangent prone.

WRTR, same deal.

I'm still making a decision about FLL1&2.

Also love, love, love HOD in theory but the younger guides (up to Beyond at least) don't mesh for one reason or other. I'm going to try Bigger next year after I've recovered from the four programs I've bought in the last year that haven't worked out.

The Progym. I always think, maaaaaybe in the future, but...I doubt it.

Aw, I'm thinking this may end up being the case for me too. I don't have a child of age to begin it yet but I was supposed to be doing it myself in preparation and I haven't been able to get myself into it. We'll see what the future holds, I guess.

Yeah. :( I think I've given up Prof. B Math. I love it and I still heavily lean on teaching methods I have learned from it for individual concepts but the program in total - I just can't seem to purely do math that way. It is very scripted and sequential (or do I mean systematic? .. or both?) while I am very informal and tangent prone.

WRTR, same deal.

I'm still making a decision about FLL1&2.

Also love, love, love HOD in theory but the younger guides (up to Beyond at least) don't mesh for one reason or other. I'm going to try Bigger next year after I've recovered from the four programs I've bought in the last year that haven't worked out.

I got worried till I read "while I am very informal and tangent prone". Okay, I'm not informal about math. Hopefully my new math love is going to work, for ME.

I got worried till I read "while I am very informal and tangent prone". Okay, I'm not informal about math. Hopefully my new math love is going to work, for ME.

If I was you, I wouldn't be remotely worried by my individual problems keeping to Prof. B. It's apples and oranges. :D I still hold that the finger work is just genius. My four year old is doing instant mental addition of sums up to 5 (as far as I've been with her and with minimal time investment - a couple moments here and there). I will be continuing with the finger work.

Tapestry of Grace. Love the concept but it was difficult to use with my boys. They hated the discussions. They didn't like reading all the different resources and not finding answers to the questions presented. That was just part of how TOG is set up. You might not find all the answers. That is why there is a discussion. But they hated discussion. :(

For us it was FLL & WWE. I love them. I tried and tried again, but my DD is just not able to produce the answers to the promptings. By the end of every lesson we would both feel like :banghead::banghead: I've given up on trying to make them like the curriculum I love.

so many! Wanted to love RightStart Math, loved the idea of it, but it moved too slow for us. Phonics Road. Love love love the idea of it, but found that the approach just didn't work with my child. Horizons Math... liked the curriculum but it moved sloooow.

I'm just hoping that by the time baby #5 is 5 I'll be a "pro" and know everything! Although given that new programs come out, I love to over research, and what works for one child doesn't necessarily work for the next....

I may be doomed!

MFW...ouch...I have been one of their greatest fans because I love their educational philosophy of focusing on Bible and doing 3 sweeps through the Bible as a part of their program. But, it doesn't work in our home. I finally had to accept that fact. My oldest loves to read and doesn't learn much from hands on activities or her style of sheets; so it was a very poor fit for him. I still use & love her phonics. He can tell you in detail though about any book that he reads or hears. I haven't ruled out the fact it may be a good fit for one of my other kids.

I finally gave up on HOD. I read something today that really fit my situation. It was an article and the writer pretty much said that the author's curriculum may really be what they need for their homeschool, but it may not be what your kids need from their homeschool. This fit our experience with HOD.

I found the more we did HOD that while I love some of the elements...that there are also elements that I found lacking or that conflicted with our beliefs. The higher up we got in the guides I realized I want to expose my children to more theories and beliefs than HOD offers.

I just had to laugh here. I give up, go back to it, give it up, go back to it. Old habits die SO hard. :lol:

Seriously, the trick is to make the changes you need to make and then put in earplugs or leave the boards for a while.

Oh, and what is my great love that never really fits? BJU. :)

For us it was Sonlight and other literautre based programs. I LOVE the idea and my kids LOVE to read. But they hated the mapping for Sonlight and they didn't like the Language Arts and I felt I had to add way to much to Sonlight and that was after buying a full core.

On the other hand, I am doing a curriculum next fall for 2 of my kids that I NEVER EVER thought I would do. I never thought my kids would like it etc. When in reality, it was ME that didn't like it. Its a perfect fit for them. I will still order reader packages from Sonlight and HOD etc.

On the other hand, I am doing a curriculum next fall for 2 of my kids that I NEVER EVER thought I would do. I never thought my kids would like it etc. When in reality, it was ME that didn't like it. Its a perfect fit for them. I will still order reader packages from Sonlight and HOD etc.

How can you say that but not mention what it is? It's like telling half a story. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I just had to laugh here. I give up, go back to it, give it up, go back to it. Old habits die SO hard. :lol:

Seriously, the trick is to make the changes you need to make and then put in earplugs or leave the boards for a while.

Oh, and what is my great love that never really fits? BJU. :)

This :lol: I am currently grieving over the thought that I will likely be giving up sonlight for my biggest kids and only using it as a book list. Specifically because of the boys. They don't love it like I do, in fact oldest ds fights the reading. dd enjoys is but I teach her and ds13 together so If I move him on to something else I will be moving her too. I really really hope I don't have to give it up, I love sonlight.

I also quite loved MCT as did my kids, but it is not the right approach for my kids, even my oldest recognized that and though he wasn't fond of R&S asked to go back because with that we all felt they were really learning it all.

MUS I love, and then I give it up out of panic and then come back to it and yo yo. It has now become our supplementary math program so that I don't have to toss it for good.

I SO AGREE!:glare: I always seem to give it up and go back and forth:tongue_smilie:

Some posts/threads reminded me of a couple of others:

AmblesideOnline - The books were the first to actually capture my son's attention but I couldn't catch their vision for history.

Spell to Write and Read - too much money and time to figure out. WRTR was much more reasonable for ME but I already mention that I ended up giving up on that, too (but I'm keeping it around while SWR was sold).

Hmmm...well, I consider these learning experiences because I often move forward with many of the ideas and teaching methods that a program teaches me, but the materials just don't work for our family or a particular child.

Things we have given up that I really do still love:

SL-used it with step dd with much success, ds hated it and I wasn't enjoying my second trip through the same levels

MOH, loved the book, but needed more of a plan since I was accustomed to SL

HOD-love most of it, ds hated all of the artsy stuff and I couldn't pull off running multiple guides

SWR- I learned soooo much from this and still teach this way, I just prefer something more organized for LA since it is not my strong area

PR-used two and a half levels but didn't like the lit. studies and level three lit cannot be eliminated, plus it was a heavy load each day for a family that just wants LA to get done and not be half our school day

MUS- I love the way Mr. Demme teaches. I started with another math program, switched to MUS, felt behind and switched back. Now, years down the road, I see where he was going and I wish that I had started all of my kids with MUS and stuck with it. But, they are progressing in their other program and going back to MUS would be strange since they would only do parts of each book. Plus, they all seem to like TT. I may have my oldest switch to MUS for upper levels though.

Singapore Earlybird.....ds just wasn't getting it and I threw in the towel.

3 phonics programs bit the dust because they just frustrated my son more and more. Actually 2 were fails...the third would have been ok if I had waited for him to mature before starting it. I am starting a whole different program come August...I can't wait. I so hope it works.