Menu

Best shoes for standing for hours on concrete floors?

We own a deli. We have anti-fatigue mats on the floor in front of sandwich prep stations but everyone has been talking lately about which shoes would be good choices for a kitchen situation like ours. Crocs clogs seem to be the *local* thing. I'm wondering if there are better options that are *tried and true* by others who work in similar situations.

:bigear: Thank you in advance!

Once upon a time, I was a traveling artist. :)

I did the big art shows up and down the east coast, and would regularly spend 4 days on concrete floors, on my feet. I tried many different shoe options!

For me - cork beds were key. Birkenstocks. Or similar brands with cork beds.

YMMV, of course.

I love Birks! But...what do you all think about a kitchen situation? Sauces/water/etc. We have a very clean kitchen and honestly everyone is pretty *neat*, but accidents happen. The other day the water shut off on the tea maker malfunctioned and tea went everywhere. I don't even wear my Birks if it's raining! I didn't think the cork should get wet.

Of course, I have owned my Birks for years...there may be a *kitchen* style out now! :lol:

I love Birks! But...what do you all think about a kitchen situation? Sauces/water/etc. We have a very clean kitchen and honestly everyone is pretty *neat*, but accidents happen. The other day the water shut off on the tea maker malfunctioned and tea went everywhere. I don't even wear my Birks if it's raining! I didn't think the cork should get wet.

Of course, I have owned my Birks for years...there may be a *kitchen* style out now! :lol:

I believe there are birks specifically for kitchens, but don't quote me on that!

ETA: I found this online. I think this is what my friend has.

What about the shoes that nurses wear? It seems they would know about shoes that hold up to hard floors and messes.

Do you know specific brands? Someone told me Crocs clogs and another told me Dansko.

The thing is that some of our workers will not be able to buy the Birks or even Dansko. Crocs clogs are probably closer to their price range, but I just thought I'd see if there were other options to tell them about.

We don't require anything other than what we *have* to require...which is a completely closed, rubber soled shoe with traction. Right now, most of them wear athletic shoes. They don't *have* to get something different, but since this discussion came up, I thought I'd see if I could give them some ideas...especially if there are *deals*. kwim?

I think a couple will like those chef Birks though!

really, the Crocs work well. We have tile-over-concrete floors here, and if I go barefoot or wear normal shoes, my feet, knees, legs and even back can start hurting.

If I wear Crocs, I'm fine.

I agree. I work in a building with concrete floors and even though I'm not on my feet all day, my hips will start really hurting. Crocs have eliminated that. I do not wear the clog style, but styles that look more like real shoes. However, Crocs are slippery on wet surfaces. From your later post, that may not work for you. If there are really a lot of spills, I would wear running shoes. They are cushioned and supportive but much lighter than walking shoes.

I agree. I work in a building with concrete floors and even though I'm not on my feet all day, my hips will start really hurting. Crocs have eliminated that. I do not wear the clog style, but styles that look more like real shoes. However, Crocs are slippery on wet surfaces. From your later post, that may not work for you. If there are really a lot of spills, I would wear running shoes. They are cushioned and supportive but much lighter than walking shoes.

Thanks for this info. The floor stays pretty clean...but things can and do happen. Hopefully this crew will stick around! They are pretty *neat* about their job. :)

Check orthopedic places too...I wear shoes called "ortho heel" for my plantar fasciitis. They are not attractive. But....since I got them I haven't had another flare up, in 2 years. And I'm currently at my heaviest ever, 6 months pregnant (a trigger for me normally). Something like that would be great, if they make a style that works.

I'm a nurse who works 12.5 hr shifts. I wear Dansko and my feet never hurt. I do more walking, probably about 10 miles/shift.

They are very heavy, the surface is also very wipeable. They did take me about 3 days to "break in."

Ditto this. I've worn danskos for about 10 years and I've never had problems standing (I did with regular sneakers and crocs, though.) FWIW, danskos can last a looooong time. I'm only on my 2nd pair in 10 years and they are holding up just fine.

I'm a nurse. I've worn Birkenstocks & Danskos. I prefer Dansko-style. My first pair of Danskos lasted 10 yrs!

FYI, the original Dansko company sold their product or something and they're no longer made the same way. Sanitas makes them the original way. I own these now & love them.

I started wearing Danskos ten years ago for a job. And now they are my go to shoes most all the time. I have a ton of different styles of there clogs. They are just so comfortable and supportive (more so than any other shoe I have worn). It is also nice that certain styles of them can really be wiped off nicely if you spill anything on them.

I know they are the shoes required for a lot of medical, restaurant and retail jobs, because of there safety non-slip requirement. And they are just so darn cute ;)

Oh! I can second Naots. They are great! ...And I do like my Danskos, too.

On the question of Birks getting wet, I (unfortunately) have an answer on that one... :) My Birks generally last forever, but last year I had a new pair, and while I was outside, stepped in something yucky. So I left them on our deck, thinking I'd clean them off later. Oops. Wouldn't you know we had a thunderstorm, and I forgot. Days later, I remembered and the tread was separating from the cork. DH took them to have them repaired and got some great info... It wasn't the storm, or getting wet, that caused the problem (like I thought)... But the heat. They were in the sun, and our deck can measure 120 degrees on a really hot day in the sun, it's crazy. The Birk repairman said people bring them in all the time after leaving them in a car, and they have the same damage. I thought that was interesting! Makes sense, too, as I have waded through streams in my other pairs, splashed through rainy days, and fought water battles ... with never a problem. I wouldn't do that in the suede styles, but the others are fine. Oh, and the fake leather never shows anything. Looks new forever. :)

Whatever you choose, I hope you find something to keep your feet cozy and comfy.

Oh! I can second Naots. They are great! ...And I do like my Danskos, too.

On the question of Birks getting wet, I (unfortunately) have an answer on that one... :) My Birks generally last forever, but last year I had a new pair, and while I was outside, stepped in something yucky. So I left them on our deck, thinking I'd clean them off later. Oops. Wouldn't you know we had a thunderstorm, and I forgot. Days later, I remembered and the tread was separating from the cork. DH took them to have them repaired and got some great info... It wasn't the storm, or getting wet, that caused the problem (like I thought)... But the heat. They were in the sun, and our deck can measure 120 degrees on a really hot day in the sun, it's crazy. The Birk repairman said people bring them in all the time after leaving them in a car, and they have the same damage. I thought that was interesting! Makes sense, too, as I have waded through streams in my other pairs, splashed through rainy days, and fought water battles ... with never a problem. I wouldn't do that in the suede styles, but the others are fine. Oh, and the fake leather never shows anything. Looks new forever. :)

Whatever you choose, I hope you find something to keep your feet cozy and comfy.

Thank you for this info! I have completely babied my Birks so I wondered!

In pharmacy a lot of people like Dansko shoes. They don't fit me right, but I love Ahnu shoes or New Balance 800+ series. I typically get an athletic fit. I like a higher arch and these tend to fit me nicely. If I am working under 4 hours, or just for running around town, I like Merrells.

Crocs are the best shoes to wear. I have a job at a local supermarket and I'm on my feet 24/7. Its hard work, but also hard on you feet. I bought my croc's at Macy's. It was the best price I could find. If anyone has a better suggestion than crocs though for comfort, i would happily give that a try.

I worked across the aisle from a well-known homeschool vendor at the HEAV convention this past weekend who highly recommended this brand:

http://www.zappos.com/mbt-womens-shoes~i

The floor in the Exhibit Hall was concrete. She said that having to do the convention circuit for a good part of the year inspired her to invest in a really good pair of shoes. My legs, feet, knees, and hips were absolutely killing me by the end of the day, but she was fine.

I have hip problems (sacroillitis), and I second shoot weddings with my husband every Saturday. I have been wearing Dansko's with insoles added and my hip has barely hurt. I also wore Danskos when I taught. I love them! You can get them on eBay for a lower cost.

Edited by GSOchristie

Guest robertpiazza

I like Dansko.... The Dansko professional clog has become popular among doctors, nurses, teachers, restaurant workers and other professionals because they offer an unparalleled arch support that virtually eliminates sore aching arches.

• 9 years later...