Menu

My son had an anaphylactic reaction today.

It was very scary! He got stung many times by a wasp way out on the back side of our property. We have walkie talkies and his twin told me what happened I told them to get to the house and got together benadryl and ibprophen. He came in the house and I immediatly asked if he could breathe ok (he has reacted pretty severely to fire ant bites and I had a suspicion we were heading this way.)

Gave him the benadryl and pain meds starting putting something on the stings and he collapsed on the floor writhing and clawing at his entire body. Right before my eyes hives appeared from head to foot. He said his lips started tingling and he was losing his ability to see. Grabbed him, jumped in the truck and drove to the nearest medical facility we have, an Urgent Care clinic. They were awesome!!!!

I thought it was going to be immediate relief, but his body fought the meds for quite awhile. The hives disappeared, the swelling in his face went down and he was able to see again. Then the hives came back and he turned beet red from head to toe, itching all over. As soon as it reached his fingers and toes it began to recede.

We live pretty far out and that was one of the scariest drives I have ever had to make.

For those of you who have children with similar allergies can you please help me through this?

What do we do now? How do I keep him safe? I will go get his jr epi pen tomorrow, but I am a bit shook up.

Thanks!

:grouphug:

One year my oldest just got one bee bite too many. He was bit about 4 times in one day and within a half hour his lips started swelling up..thankfully I had an EMT living behind me and I called him asking for an epi pen. He told me to start the benedryl, and he'd be right there. He then watched him and had me call the ambulance because on the rig they have bigger, badder antihistamines and to wait, because if I was driving him and something bad happened, I couldn't help, but if something happened in the rig they could take care of him.

He told me that if at all possible (within time constraints) call the rig.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I nearly died from anaphylaxis once. As a child, he may not be prepared for how the *reaction* itself utterly and completely wears on the body. Encourage him to rest. I remember feeling that my body was in ultimate crisis mode at the very end...and then I felt myself slipping away. Help him pace himself and let his body FULLY recover. Just because he *looks* normal does not mean his body doesn't need recover from firing on all cylinders.

It is VERY scary! YOU need to realize how that kind of scare affects YOU as mom. Give YOURSELF some *down time*. Stress like that can really affect we women. :grouphug::grouphug:

And yes, get that epipen. Maybe a couple.

It was very scary! He got stung many times by a wasp way out on the back side of our property. We have walkie talkies and his twin told me what happened I told them to get to the house and got together benadryl and ibprophen. He came in the house and I immediatly asked if he could breathe ok (he has reacted pretty severely to fire ant bites and I had a suspicion we were heading this way.)

Gave him the benadryl and pain meds starting putting something on the stings and he collapsed on the floor writhing and clawing at his entire body. Right before my eyes hives appeared from head to foot. He said his lips started tingling and he was losing his ability to see. Grabbed him, jumped in the truck and drove to the nearest medical facility we have, an Urgent Care clinic. They were awesome!!!!

I thought it was going to be immediate relief, but his body fought the meds for quite awhile. The hives disappeared, the swelling in his face went down and he was able to see again. Then the hives came back and he turned beet red from head to toe, itching all over. As soon as it reached his fingers and toes it began to recede.

We live pretty far out and that was one of the scariest drives I have ever had to make.

For those of you who have children with similar allergies can you please help me through this?

What do we do now? How do I keep him safe? I will go get his jr epi pen tomorrow, but I am a bit shook up.

Thanks!

I'm a Mom of anaphylactic children, and that is one of my worst nightmares. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I agree with justamouse - if it happens again, don't hesitate to call an ambulance.

As for how to keep him safe from wasps, I don't know. I only deal with food allergies, which seems more controllable, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help you there.

Keep a couple of Epi-Pens on hand, and put one on his person when he is out exploring your property. Probably is best that he is never alone while exploring? Train his siblings on how to help him out in the field?

Can you see a pediatric allergist?

Also, I think there is an organization in the States called FAAN, but I can't remember what it stands for. I hear it's VERY helpful.

Medic Alert bracelet for sure.

Good luck!:grouphug::grouphug:

ETA: links

http://www.foodallergy.org/

http://www.medicalert.org/

Edited by Colleen in NS

And yes...from now on...use the epipen and call 911.

At first, I didn't respond right away to the epinephrine and I was close to being intubated when I started responding.

You will want an ambulance *just in case* in the future. Hopefully...there will never be another need.

Keep him indoors until you get the prescription, you can't risk another exposure. Carry 2 epis at all times, worst case scenario they only hold off the reation for 15 minutes.

Check on him all night, there may be a rebound reaction as the medications wear off. Is he taking ongoing oral steriods, benadryl? :grouphug:

If you have more questions based on the above, let me know. We've carried epis for my oldest for years and have actually been through the ER routine with DH.

For insects, be wise, be aware, leave the area if there's a risk and carry the epis. Train family members that they are going to have to be protectors. If an insect attacks, the allergic person has to escape even if it means someone else gets stung. :(

Edited by MomatHWTK

I'm so sorry, mama -- :grouphug:. So glad he is okay!

My DD had a similar thing happen last summer. She'd reacted to bee stings with hives before, but last summer, she actually swelled up, so I took her to the ER. Definitely the right choice!

We have a pair of epi-pens for her now, and they go everywhere she goes. She was skittish about playing outside for a while, which I think is probably a normal reaction, but we've assured her that she's okay, we know how to use the epi-pens, she has only had swelling (no breathing trouble) as of yet, etc., and she's totally safe to be outside. We are extra cautious about things that could attract bees, like sugary drinks and such, but basically, we let her live her life with as little fear as possible.

I have considered a medical alert bracelet for her and might get one at some point if she starts doing camps or the like, when neither DH or I are with her. For co-op, I have alerted the group, and I've stated that she's allowed to do whatever she wants to do. I'm on the premises for co-op, but I have also offered to teach anyone else how to use the epi-pens. The only people who have ever had her with DH or me present are her two sets of grandparents, and I've shown them how to use the epi-pens. Everyone knows to use the first epi-pen, call 911, and then use the second one after 15 minutes if it's needed.

Don't worry too much, mama. Yes, you should be cautious, but try not to let it interfere too much with living. :grouphug:

One year my oldest just got one bee bite too many. He was bit about 4 times in one day and within a half hour his lips started swelling up..thankfully I had an EMT living behind me and I called him asking for an epi pen. He told me to start the benedryl, and he'd be right there. He then watched him and had me call the ambulance because on the rig they have bigger, badder antihistamines and to wait, because if I was driving him and something bad happened, I couldn't help, but if something happened in the rig they could take care of him.

He told me that if at all possible (within time constraints) call the rig.

I almost did call 911. I probably should have. I go into autopilot and just start to react, but I also knew that the ambulance would come from the same direction I was headed so if necessary we could meet.

Now I do not want to let him out of my sight! :glare:

Keep him indoors until you get the prescription, you can't risk another exposure. Carry 2 epis at all times, worst case scenario they only hold off the reation for 15 minutes.

Check on him all night, there may be a rebound reaction as the medications wear off. Is he taking ongoing oral steriods, benadryl? :grouphug:

If you have more questions based on the above, let me know. We've carried epis for my oldest for years and have actually been through the ER routine with DH.

For insects, be wise, be aware, leave the area if there's a risk and carry the epis. Train family members that they are going to have to be protectors. If an insect attacks, the allergic person has to escape even if it means someone else gets stung. :(

His Drs said he had to stay inside today regardless and yes we are continuing Benadryl. He is still showing a few patches of hives on his face. It is going to be a long night.

I almost did call 911. I probably should have. I go into autopilot and just start to react, but I also knew that the ambulance would come from the same direction I was headed so if necessary we could meet.

Now I do not want to let him out of my sight! :glare:

I felt the same way. Even with the others who are highly allergic (allergist) but have never gotten stung--

Sometimes tromping around outside being boys is harder-they jump on stuff and whack things and then the hornets get mad and go after them.

You could teach them to be careful of where the bees ad hornets may make their nests and stay away?

Middle dd was stung several times when she was 5. She turned blue, stopped breathing, hives popped out all over.

After that, we got epipens, were diligent about carrying them everywhere. For years she was worried she'd be stung. She wasn't stung again until she was 16, and she headed right to the ER after using her epipen. She didn't need any other medical help- she sat in the waiting room and the epipen did the job. She's 26 now and hasn;t been stung again.

The most scary thing was the first year and then again when she was old enough to go to camp, etc. without us. But she's an adult now and we survived it.

This summer and fall will probably be scary for you but like others have said- find the balance between being careful and letting the allergy consume you.

So sorry for your son!! What a way to start the summer!

Middle dd was stung several times when she was 5. She turned blue, stopped breathing, hives popped out all over.

After that, we got epipens, were diligent about carrying them everywhere. For years she was worried she'd be stung. She wasn't stung again until she was 16, and she headed right to the ER after using her epipen. She didn't need any other medical help- she sat in the waiting room and the epipen did the job. She's 26 now and hasn;t been stung again.

The most scary thing was the first year and then again when she was old enough to go to camp, etc. without us. But she's an adult now and we survived it.

This summer and fall will probably be scary for you but like others have said- find the balance between being careful and letting the allergy consume you.

So sorry for your son!! What a way to start the summer!

Yeah he goes to camp in a couple weeks. Ugh!

Yeah he goes to camp in a couple weeks. Ugh!

:grouphug::grouphug:

He will be okay. Just get those pens. Train him to use them. Inform the camp. Is a buddy going with him? Inform the buddy.

It will be hard to let him go...but let him. :grouphug: And then buy a nice wine for yourself for the week. :)

:grouphug::grouphug:

He will be okay. Just get those pens. Train him to use them. Inform the camp. Is a buddy going with him? Inform the buddy.

It will be hard to let him go...but let him. :grouphug: And then buy a nice wine for yourself for the week. :)

Yes, his twin (crud. He has an identical twin who has never been stung)

His sister is going as well, and our Priest is going to. I am going to have to ask our ped if I need more pens for his twin.

Will definitely need a nice glass of wine! ;)

Yes, his twin (crud. He has an identical twin who has never been stung)

His sister is going as well, and our Priest is going to. I am going to have to ask our ped if I need more pens for his twin.

Will definitely need a nice glass of wine! ;)

I would definitely ask about an epi set for the twin. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

How nice that your Priest is also going. I know *I* would find comfort that someone who cared deeply for my family would tend to be more *watchful*.

:grouphug: I am so glad he is okay and that you got him help so quickly. What we used to suggest in the peds clinic I worked at for those needing epis is to keep multiple epipens, keep one on him at all times, 1 in a backpack by the door to toss in the car for outtings and 1 in a set location in the home. We usually recommended the twinject because some kids need a second dose enroute to medical help. I would also recommend a medic alert bracelet so if he is out and about without you and has a reaction he can get help quicker. After that live life as you should. As a momma it will be hard to let him go back out to play etc but it is the best thing for him once he is fully recovered.

Teach him how to use it. Over and over and over. They should have trainer pens at the pharmacy. Muscle memory goes a long way when you are blacking out and need to get that shot in. He will be way more sensitive to a sting for awhile now, so any new stings for the next few months, would mean an immediate trip to the ER without hesitation. Even now, I get stung, get right in the car with someone and head to the ER even before I use the epi pen. Keep one on you at all times, one on him at all times and back up at home. OH and watch out for rebound. Some people will have a similar or worse reaction several hours later and need epi all over again and more medical care. I do that when i get stung by a certain kind of wasp and bee but not ants or hornets. Go figure! So monitor for the next 24 hours to make sure things do seem to keep getting better. It's scary! :grouphug::grouphug: to both of you.

:grouphug: When my son had his first anaphylactic reaction I drove him to the ER too rather than call 911. I just reacted. I think it's really common. I know it's terrifying.

Medical stuff:

Do get two epi pens for home and two for out and about. Make sure those with him know how to use them too as he might not be in shape to give himself the pen.

Make sure all know that it's epi pen, 911, benadryl. The epi pen (or pens, sometimes it takes two to stop a reaction) will only last for a short time before it comes back--long enough to get to the hospital. I'm sure this is a given but he needs the epi for a sting--no one should wait for symptoms. If reactions get bad epis can't always stop them and most kids who die have had an epi pen--they just got it too late.

If he does have a reaction he needs to stay in the ER for 4-6 hours after full recovery in case of a biphasic (secondary--usually worse) reaction. Some ER's are horrible with anaphylaxis and boot the person too soon so make sure all with your son know how to handle this.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: Anaphylaxis and a secondary reaction afterwards--eeeeek! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I don't have any advice that hasn't been given--epi-pens, use the trainers and teach EVERYONE in the house to use them via trainers (my 6-year-old could give ds his epi if she needed to), medic-alert bracelets or similar (we have the silicone Livestrong-type bracelet in bright red for ds' nut allergies), and Benadryl on hand at all times (we use the dissolving melt-aways).

:grouphug: I know how scary it is. My oldest had an ana rx to peanut when he was 2. It was by far the scariest moment of my life.

Each box will have 2 epi's in it. One for the initial rx, and one for the follow up rx. So you should always keep 2 or more FULL boxes available (home, outings, whatever) for a total of 4 pens, not just 2 pens. They come w/a trainer, so show him how to use it, and siblings and care givers. Also, make sure you show him the real pen and show him how he will need to open it should he need it (but don't actually open it! It isn't made to re-close!). It doesn't open the same as a trainer.

Do NOT refrigerate epi's! And, don't leave them in a hot car, either.

If he is ever, now or in the future, going to be anywhere like a camp or school or anywhere w/o you, make sure you know the procedure for getting an epi administered should he need it. When ds was in school (for a few short weeks), the full time nurse left, leaving only a part time nurse who worked only 2 -3 half-days per wk. When the nurse was not there, the infirmary was locked. There were only 2 administrators w/the key. And the school's phone system kept going out. And on an on. I was not comfortable with how it was handled b/c once he ingests peanut, seconds matter. And while the school had a no peanut policy, some of the parents were so annoyed and angered by that rule, that they said they would send it in their child's lunch anyway. So, basically, we were out of there.

Again, :grouphug: I know it is all very overwhelming right now. You will learn how to be cautious and how to take steps to keep him as safe as possible, without being panicked in every situation. It will take time, but it will happen.

• 4 months later...
Guest inoubliable

Agreeing with pretty much everyone else here. DS4 has an allergy to cashews. We had to make the ER dash the night he had one and picked up his epi-pen jr. the next morning.

My younger brother is allergic to bees and the same thing happened to him when he was about the same age as my son. I remember him being incredibly tired afterwards. For a day or two. Let him rest if he says that he needs to.

Again, as the others say, make sure you get both of the epi-pens in the prescription. Keep one at home where EVERYone knows it will be. Keep the other in your purse or car or remember to throw it in a tote whenever you leave the house with kiddo. The epi-pen Jr comes with a practice device. Practice, practice, practice. Everyone in the house should practice it. Several times. There are insulating bags you can get for them. To keep them cool in summer and from freezing in the winter - you may want to pick one up.

Med-alert bracelets can be a good thing. Keep Benadryl around. Grab a few bottles of a generic brand and stash them in the car, your purse, the bathroom, by the backdoor, you see where I'm going with this.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Wow! This is a little bit old, but since it is up figured I would update. He is doing fine and we now own two epi jrs. He was scared to go outside for quite awhile, but it has gotten much better. In fact he may have gotten a bit too confident again.:glare:

Have more than one epi pen on hand, make him take it outside with him. Teach him and his twin how to use it. Next time I would call 911 and go to him vs making him come to you. The Epi pen will buy you about 20 minutes if given in time.

The second reaction is called a biphasic reaction is common and sometimes comes on much faster and is worse than the original reaction. This is why it is suggested you be observed by medical personal for 4-6 hours after the reaction.

Yes, I think the emotional recovery can take longer than the physical. Hope you can have someone else keep watch tomorrow so you can get some rest.

I had something not as bad...but similar happen to me last monday...eating crab my throat and chest started closing. I can relate to the emotional fear! So scary!

I have both our epi pens now in my purse and the Jr. one has a practice pen in it as well. The pharmacist says never wait...epi pen & 911 immediately.

The pharmacist explained you may not realize you are not breathing but any tightness is 911! I am so sorry you had to experience this with your child:grouphug: