Menu

What math introduces concepts in tiny pieces??

diaperjoys

One of my kiddos thrives on the "known", and tears up with any kind of conceptual jump. He learns well, but is far from quick at understanding a new concept.

What math would be slow & steady with no big jumps??

This is for my son who will be 2nd grade, 8yo in the fall.

I was going to say Saxon or Math Mammoth, then I read the other replies. ;)

So now you have to decide of you want a spiral or mastery program. MM stays on one topic for a long time (like a month of multiplication) teaching it very thoroughly, a little bit at a time. I haven't actually used Saxon, but it's my understanding that new concepts are introduced a little at a time, then they move on to a new concept, eventually spiraling back to cover old topics in more depth with lots of constant built-in review.

So now you have to decide of you want a spiral or mastery program. MM stays on one topic for a long time (like a month of multiplication) teaching it very thoroughly, a little bit at a time. I haven't actually used Saxon, but it's my understanding that new concepts are introduced a little at a time, then they move on to a new concept, eventually spiraling back to cover old topics in more depth with lots of constant built-in review.

:iagree:

From what I know about it, Saxon will review more, but I like how slow and steady Math Mammoth is.

I think MEP is good at this. Fairly often they have random games and activities in their lessons, and then a few weeks later you realize that a bunch of the recent games have been building up to the introduction of a topic and so the student already has a fundamental understanding of it.

Saxon doesn't spiral at all. There's at least one problem in every problem set on every concept taught in the text. The concepts are continually built on, not spiraled back to. :-)

Math Mammoth

:iagree:

My son likes math (and is good at it) but hates being "taught" since he insists he already knows everything. :glare: MM has explanations right on the page and is so incremental that a lot of it he can teach himself with just a little explanation. It makes him feel very confident and smart since he can almost always figure it out. Although I do watch him do it so I can help if he's off.

OP- my DS9 is exactly like the child you describe in your post. Math had become TORTURE for both of us because of his meltdowns. Saxon has been a good fit for us since it only gives a small conceptual step at a time, but has contenual review.

I would say Math U See. Very incremental, with a video teacher and hands on practice. Each lesson has 3 pages of practice and 3 pages of review, and if something is more than a few chapters back it has a quick set of instructions to help them remember.

One of my kiddos thrives on the "known", and tears up with any kind of conceptual jump. What math would be slow & steady with no big jumps??

Sounds like JUMP Math to me:

Everything you need to get started is free at their website, after you create a free log-in account.