Menu

MUSIC PEOPE -- learning to play the oboe

This is coming up after reading a thread on the college board regarding scholarships for certain instruments.

Is it a requirement to be a very good clarinet player in order to play the oboe? If my daughter can play the clarinet -- but is still what I would consider an advanced beginner (going into 7th grade), would it be good for her to switch to oboe now instead of later? How difficult of an instrument is it to play in comparison to the clarinet?

Also, same question regarding the flute. I have a kid who I would consider an intermediate flute player. Is it possible for her to pick up piccolo fairly easily?

Depending on what transpires with our homeschool band this coming school year, I would consider spending the money on some private lessons for those instruments if need be.

I was in band throughout junior high and high school, my high school had an excellent band program. I knew several people who majored in music and/or received music scholarships. I will tell you, that in general? If you want the kids to be competitive for music scholarships then:

1. They need to play more unusual instruments like oboe or piano (kids don't generally receive piano lessons in public school), flute and clarinet players are a dime a dozen. Lots of music scholarships are offered for specific instruments like piano or bassoon.

2. They will need private lessons. I was at school every morning for band by 7 am, school didn't start until 8:30 and band was first period. *Everyone* I knew who received a music scholarship had private lessons. You aren't competitive without them, imo.

3. Music students are generally expected to know how to play more than one instrument, often non-complementary instruments (flute and piccolo are complementary instruments, for example).

4. Music scholarships are often intended and reserved for those intending to enter the field of musical education or intending to become performance artists.

I started out with clarinet and learned a variety of instruments although clarinet was my primary. I did learn oboe. I didn't stick with it because I ended up against a gal who transferred in who took private lessons. :) We didn't need more than one, so she got it. LOL! So, I AGREE on the private lessons. That said, I was pretty proficient on the clarinet with my ps band classes, *some* private help and LOTS of practice.

I would say learn the Oboe NOW and plan to take private lessons and enter all competitions offered. This will be very helpful with preparation for college auditions.

My dd is a piano performance major and I can tell you that at her school, there *is* scholarship $$ for non-music majors IF the school *needs* the instrument. So, like Mrs. Mungo said, the more unusual the instrument, the better chance there is that a school, especially one with a smaller orchestra or band, will have need of your child's skills. :)

Aside from all that, an oboe is beautiful. :)

My dd is a piano performance major and I can tell you that at her school, there *is* scholarship $$ for non-music majors IF the school *needs* the instrument. So, like Mrs. Mungo said, the more unusual the instrument, the better chance there is that a school, especially one with a smaller orchestra or band, will have need of your child's skills. :)

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you must necessarily have an unusual instrument *and* be a music major. I absolutely agree that there are specific scholarships for unusual instruments. But, if you are a flute or trumpet player, than you are probably going to have to be a music major to land a scholarship (I played flute :)).

You don't need to know the clarinet at all to play oboe. You can start playing oboe at any time - no experience required. It could even be your very first instrument (if you have some patience). DD18 picked up one and starting playing this year after years of playing saxophone (she wants to major in music so needs to be able to play as many as possible).

If she is interested in the oboe now, let her start. I definitely recommend lessons because learning to play in tune is really important for oboe players and it can be tricky.

This is coming up after reading a thread on the college board regarding scholarships for certain instruments.

Is it a requirement to be a very good clarinet player in order to play the oboe? If my daughter can play the clarinet -- but is still what I would consider an advanced beginner (going into 7th grade), would it be good for her to switch to oboe now instead of later? How difficult of an instrument is it to play in comparison to the clarinet?

Also, same question regarding the flute. I have a kid who I would consider an intermediate flute player. Is it possible for her to pick up piccolo fairly easily?

Depending on what transpires with our homeschool band this coming school year, I would consider spending the money on some private lessons for those instruments if need be.

Oboe and clarinet have completely different fingering patterns. The oboe is a double-reed instrument; the clarinet is a single-reed instrument. The clarinet is much easier to play - the oboe requires much more stamina and breath support. Oboe players make their own reeds - it is somewhat of an art; clarinet reeds can be purchased ready made. If your daughter wants to learn oboe, now is the time to start. There are many beautiful oboe solos in orchestral pieces and not may proficient oboe players who can play them well. If your daughter excelled in oboe she would be sought after. Finding a good oboe teacher can be difficult though. Once she has learned the oboe fairly well, she could add English horn and bassoon. If she wants to be highly sought after, she should try to be accomplished in all woodwinds, although this would be something she could learn in college.

Playing the piccolo is fairly easy to pick up once one has learned to play the flute fairly well. I highly recommend memorizing the piccolo solo in John Philip Sousa's "The Stars and Stripes Forever" - it is a classic piccolo solo and makes a great audition piece.

If either is aspiring to major in music then you would definitely want them to be taking private lessons.

Speaking here from experience:

I played the clarinet (because my mother insisted) I wanted the flute or the violin.

I was good at the clarinet (but I had no love). I was always 1 chair, mainly because I started in the 4th grade while in Colo and moved to Texas where they stared band in the 6th grade.

My mother insisted I start something new-- in comes the oboe.

I hated it.

I didn't work at it,

I was in demand, but I was terrible because I hated it.

I know that some instruments are a dime a dozen, but the love factor can shine through, as can the hate factor.

The oboe is totally different, it has fingerings like a flute and is a double reed (btw the reeds were $10 each in the '80s).

Make sure your child likes the instrument.

It does make a difference.

Lara

I have a clarinet player who will be adding some instruments this year (maybe oboe or bassoon?,) and a flute player. Neither will major in music, but many of their peers are headed that way....

It is helpful for a flute player to add piccolo, but it's not that uncommon. Over half of the girls in dd's flute studio and their orchestra play piccolo as well as flute. It is very easy to add, though. Make sure your dd wears hearing protection while practicing!

Clarinet to oboe is a big switch. As a pp said, though, an oboe will get some *great* solos. It is more unusual, though it seems to have picked up popularity lately (maybe because everyone wants an unusual instrument! :D) The one that is still in very high demand around here is the French horn.

I agree that private lessons are a necessity for those who plan on pursuing music. The teacher will help you access competitions and scholarship auditions, too. Both of my girls already have some scholarship money under their belts.

Edited by angela in ohio

I played the clarinet (because my mother insisted) I wanted the flute or the violin.

I was good at the clarinet (but I had no love). I was always 1 chair, mainly because I started in the 4th grade while in Colo and moved to Texas where they stared band in the 6th grade.

I hated it.

I didn't work at it,

I know that some instruments are a dime a dozen, but the love factor can shine through, as can the hate factor.

<snip>

I can see and understand this. Maybe I should clarify that I don't think people should count on music scholarships unless their kids naturally fit a pretty specific set of criteria. There are easier scholarships out there, imo. :)

I am not a music major, or even a particularly musical person, but oboe was the only instrument I've ever played--and that was in middle school. It is really very, very different instrument from the clarinet. She can learn it, of course, but it is a more "difficult" instrument to sound proficient because the reed is so much more finicky. I wouldn't force her to play it if she doesn't like it, but if she does, go for it. It can make wonderful sounds once you get past the "honking goose" phase. ;)

Thanks for this helpful information ladies.

I guess I should be more specific with what I am wondering. All 3 of my older girls do play piano -- intermediate level at the least. Their piano teacher (who happens to be a worship pastor) was a music major. He tells me that they know much more music theory and are more capable piano players than he was when he started in music school.

Two of them play flute and one plays clarinet. None of them have ever had a private lesson. The flute players are doing fairly well. The clarinet still struggles a bit (especially over the bridge -- to be expected). They have been in a homeschool band which as offered little to no individual training, so they really have basically taught themselves the instruments.

We recently purchased a violin and a program and they intend to start learning to play that as well. Again, at this point it will be without any outside instructional lessons.

The oldest is not leaning towards a music degree at all. I don't know about the other two as they are just finishing up their 6th grade year. One of those is definitely much more musically inclined. I want to keep all doors open. Even if they don't choose to major in music, they could always get a minor or be eligible for a small scholarship to play in a band/orchestra/ensemble at college.

I am looking at it as more of an opportunity if they choose to use it. I also want them to continue to practice and get better because they could have other opportunities such as giving private lessons (while homeschooling their own kids -- heehee --;). If they had the gumption they could get an ensemble together themselves and play for weddings, etc. Unfortunately, none seems to me that motivated at this point -- much to the dismay of their mama!!!

A couple of them are skilled enough to offer beginner piano lessons now and I have encouraged them to do so, but alas they don't seem inclined to want to do it.

So all that to say that I am looking at what instruments would be good if any of them wish to switch or learn more. I would love to see my clarinet player switch if she truly doesn't like it. I played clarinet my entire school years, hated it, never practiced, and haven't played a note since my high school graduation. I want more for them. I don't have a lot of funds for private lessons (already paying for piano), but if one of them does start taking more of an interest and seems motivated, I would be willing to try and swing it.

I would like to see the flute players give piccolo a try. The oldest absolutely fell in love with the fife music while at Wiliamsburg several years ago, so I thought she might take interest in the piccolo.

Thanks again for all your help!!

I played the oboe. These are my thoughts on it:

Any wind instrument is a good "before" instrument. But I wouldn't choose a double reed as a first wind instrument, because it requires a lot of breath strength and control, and a lot of oral muscles.

It's good for someone who likes orchestral/band music and likes getting solos. You also need to become very good at sight reading if you go to band competitions. I think every sight reading competition our band was in had an oboe solo, and the whole band gets scored on how well the soloist sightreads. Oboe is not a good instrument for a shy player who likes to blend in with a section. Oboe parts are very often written to stand out.

It's not good for someone who wants to play in things like jazz ensembles. And you also can't march with it so you need to remain proficient in a marching instrument if you want to march.

It's an unusual instrument. Playing a double reed makes one kind of an "odd duck" with the rest of the music students. It made me an oddball even among the band crowd.

Private lessons are an absolute must for any double reed. They are specialty and challenging instruments. It can be hard to find a good double reed teacher.

The reeds are quite expensive to buy, and if you make your own, they are sort of a pain to make and maintain.

Double reeds are rewarding instruments for kids who will get really into them. But they are time consuming as an instrument choice. I would only get into a double reed for a kid whose main hobby is music.

My dd plays the piano, flute, oboe, and piccolo. She started on the piano and flute and added the oboe two years later after reading posts from about two years ago on 'in demand instruments'. The piccolo she added herself, once she was able to get air through it and play notes. :D

The consensus back then, as now, was flutes are a dime a dozen, but oboes aren't and since the fingerings are virtually the same, it would be easy(er) to learn to play. So, two years ago this month, dd added the oboe. She did start immediately on lessons, and was comfortable enough with it to play in her homeschool band within just a few months. I know virtually nothing about playing music, but what I have picked up over the last two years is that lessons are practically a 'must' with the oboe.

*snip* Oboe players make their own reeds - it is somewhat of an art. *snip* Finding a good oboe teacher can be difficult though. Once she has learned the oboe fairly well, she could add English horn and bassoon.

It is the quite advanced players that make their own reeds. Being a double reed, however, does make them more expensive. We found the $20 reeds in the music stores to be of poor quality (dry and brittle, break quickly, etc) so we found someone online who makes them to order.... the student reeds are $12.50 each, IIRC.

The part about switching to English horn and bassoon is true... we know folks who have done just that. It makes them even more in demand.

*snip*

The oldest is not leaning towards a music degree at all. I don't know about the other two as they are just finishing up their 6th grade year. One of those is definitely much more musically inclined. I want to keep all doors open. Even if they don't choose to major in music, they could always get a minor or be eligible for a small scholarship to play in a band/orchestra/ensemble at college.

*snip*

The above is what we are doing; we're keeping the doors open while maintaining some good extra curriculars. :D

In general I would think the flute players would make the jump to oboe easier than the clarinet player. The piccolo on the other hand is so similar to the flute, I don't see much advantage to it (nor disadvantage either - it would be a natural extension for an avid flute player - just wouldn't make them more well-rounded as a music major).

Since the clarinet player does not love it, I would just ask her what other instrument she would like to play rather than pushing her into a "similar" instrument. Really that applies to all of them, the oboe or piccolo have no advantage over any other instrument they want to learn to play.

I played the flute and could pick up a piccalo without and trouble at all. I did switch to oboe later without ever being able to make a sound on the clarinet. The mouthing was completely different than a flute, and i did need a teacher to help me with that. But I see no reason someone couldn't learn without ever playing a clarinet. (or any other instrument. Though the mouthing is awkward and i can see why you'd want to start with an easier instrument.)

FourOaks,

In your situation? I would definitely look into private lessons. Personally, I think learning at least one instrument is part of being "classically educated" and a decently well-rounded person. It's great that your daughters have managed on their own so far!

I can tell you that my dd has been taking guitar for a bit over a year and was able to help out my cousin who is a proficient self-taught guitar player with some issues that he was having. So, I think music lessons have great value, beyond scholarship possibilities. :)

Any wind instrument is a good "before" instrument. But I wouldn't choose a double reed as a first wind instrument, because it requires a lot of breath strength and control, and a lot of oral muscles.

It's good for someone who likes orchestral/band music and likes getting solos. You also need to become very good at sight reading if you go to band competitions. I think every sight reading competition our band was in had an oboe solo, and the whole band gets scored on how well the soloist sightreads. Oboe is not a good instrument for a shy player who likes to blend in with a section. Oboe parts are very often written to stand out.

It's not good for someone who wants to play in things like jazz ensembles. And you also can't march with it so you need to remain proficient in a marching instrument if you want to march.

It's an unusual instrument. Playing a double reed makes one kind of an "odd duck" with the rest of the music students. It made me an oddball even among the band crowd.

Private lessons are an absolute must for any double reed. They are specialty and challenging instruments. It can be hard to find a good double reed teacher.

The reeds are quite expensive to buy, and if you make your own, they are sort of a pain to make and maintain.

Double reeds are rewarding instruments for kids who will get really into them. But they are time consuming as an instrument choice. I would only get into a double reed for a kid whose main hobby is music.

:iagree: You posted while I was typing. :001_smile: Coming from someone who has played the oboe, I appreciate your advice even though my dd is two years into the instrument.

I agree about the breath--- dd still has breath issues at times. She just attended her first honor band, where she was selected to play the oboe, but not the flute (only a few oboists applied, but there were 18 flutes *chosen*--- I'm not sure how many more applied, but dd and two others did). During the honor band, sight reading was heavily emphasized, and dd said it was difficult.

The oral muscle comment is a good one. DD has to be careful not to 'blow out her lips' while practicing before concerts--- there is a fine line between practicing and overdoing it. From what I gather, oboists' lips get tired *fast*.

Finding an oboe teacher is difficult. In our area, I found *one* who had majored in oboe, but whose client list was full with a waiting list. The other option was to take lessons from someone who plays in the city's symphony.... that was a huge expense for a true beginning player.

Oh, I also suggest to try renting the oboe before you buy it (I guess that would be true of any instrument). The oboe is not cheap. Even used.

I hated it.

I didn't work at it,

The oboe is totally different, it has fingerings like a flute and is a double reed (btw the reeds were $10 each in the '80s).

Lara

I third and fourth the private lessons part if you go oboe. I started it in 6th grade band. They didn't have one right away so I played clarinet for the first 6 weeks, then switched to oboe. It was so much harder I wanted to go back to the clarinet after a week but the band teacher wanted an oboe so he wouldn't let me.

He also did not know how to play, so I had to teach myself out of a book. It sounded like a dying duck!

I wish I had privates, as it can sound beautiful. Also, we went on an orchestra field trip and I got to try the English Horn as I was the oboe player. It was much easier, and a really interesting instrument.

YES. This. Molly is first chair oboe as a freshman in her high school band. She's played for three years, and has proven to be quite talented. She has a private teacher, and this past fall we bit the bullet and bought a professional model as she had outgrown her student model. We were very fortunate to have found, through her private teacher, a one-of-a-kind Loree Cz19 model custom made in Paris for a man who played it professionally around the world before he had a stroke a year ago and sold it to us for a fraction of its worth in October. Molly named it "Juliette" because it's French :001_smile: and she literally eats, sleeps and breathes her oboe.

She plays percussion (marimba, vibraphones and xylophone) for football marching band, and is playing sousaphone for parade marching band because it has a wide mouthpiece and the director doesn't want to ruin her embechoure. Oboe is a great instrument, but does require a bit more of a commitment than other instruments.

Astrid

I am looking at it as more of an opportunity if they choose to use it. I also want them to continue to practice and get better because they could have other opportunities such as giving private lessons (while homeschooling their own kids -- heehee --;). If they had the gumption they could get an ensemble together themselves and play for weddings, etc. Unfortunately, none seems to me that motivated at this point -- much to the dismay of their mama!!!

A couple of them are skilled enough to offer beginner piano lessons now and I have encouraged them to do so, but alas they don't seem inclined to want to do it.

It's hard to get a gig as a piano teacher at that age. Most serious parents want someone older with much experience, so you will only get people looking for a bargain, and they might be frustrating for your dc. The *real* money (at least around here) is in accompanying!! We pay $50 and up for an accompanist who meets with us once for a bit of practice and then plays for about 10 minutes at a contest. We know some lovely young ladies who are making quite a bit of college money this way.

It's hard to get a gig as a piano teacher at that age. Most serious parents want someone older with much experience, so you will only get people looking for a bargain, and they might be frustrating for your dc. The *real* money (at least around here) is in accompanying!! We pay $50 and up for an accompanist who meets with us once for a bit of practice and then plays for about 10 minutes at a contest. We know some lovely young ladies who are making quite a bit of college money this way.

THIS! I forgot to add this to the list of opportunities I see as possibilities for the future. My oldest needed an accompanist for her flute solo for her contest piece, but we didn't find out until about 2 weeks prior to the date. We have no one and the contest was over an hour and a half away. In stepped her younger sister (plays piano at the same level) who accompanied her. She did a lovely job -- although I'm sure it wasn't an incredibly difficult piece. I was very impressed with her first effort -- and being able to successfully do it in just 2 weeks.

How would we get the word out that we may have girls who are interested in becoming better accompanists and then actually finding people who need accompaniment?

THIS! I forgot to add this to the list of opportunities I see as possibilities for the future. My oldest needed an accompanist for her flute solo for her contest piece, but we didn't find out until about 2 weeks prior to the date. We have no one and the contest was over an hour and a half away. In stepped her younger sister (plays piano at the same level) who accompanied her. She did a lovely job -- although I'm sure it wasn't an incredibly difficult piece. I was very impressed with her first effort -- and being able to successfully do it in just 2 weeks.

How would we get the word out that we may have girls who are interested in becoming better accompanists and then actually finding people who need accompaniment?

Most of my dd's accompanists have come through her flute studio teacher or contacts with other musical families (church, contests, symphony, etc.) You could try just sending info to private teachers in the area, but I doubt that would get much. You best bet is to get involved in a flute and clarinet studio or with private teachers, then they can see your dds accomapnying each other. Then when you start doing auditions and such, you will meet other families there, too. [All this is based on our experiences in a fairly urban area with a well-developed music community. I don't know what is available in other areas.]

Finally back with time to answer. I'm a flutist, so I'll answer the flute question first. Picking up the piccolo should be a piece of cake for just about any flutist, especially if you start with a piccolo that has a flute-like lip plate. There are some piccolos that have no lip plate, and they might prove more difficult to play to begin with- though time and a little practice should be all that is necessary to overcome this difficulty. Piccolo fingerings are the same (with very few exceptions) as flute fingerings, they just sound an octave higher than they are written. The 3rd octave can be a bit of a challenge, but once again, a bit of practice is all it takes. It's always nice to have a piccolo, so that you can cover a part if needed, but being able to play piccolo generally won't give any advantage over other flutists when applying for colleges or scholarships.

Dh is an oboist (DMA from Eastman). He recommends the following course of action for the young clarinetist: If she really wants to play the oboe, now is the perfect time to switch. Generally speaking, good (pretty) tone production is more difficult on the oboe than the clarinet, so switching now would allow her time to develop as an oboist. If, however, she would be switching only to give her an edge with scholarships or college admissions, and she really enjoys playing the clarinet, he advises her to stick with it. He says that although some band directors tell kids to switch to the oboe for that reason, he has never, ever seen any actual evidence that oboists are given preference. He says it's more important that she truly enjoys the instrument she's playing, rather than taking on an instrument she may not really like just for an "edge."

Sorry it took me so long to reply!

Wish I had more time to answer. . .here's my quick version.

I went from flute to bassoon in high school (Jr. year)

Landed a full scholarship senior year to the state university.

I totally :001_wub: my bassoon. The oboe would make my head explode :D (My dh, the flutist, DID try to learn oboe. His head almost did explode.)

I am clearly biased towards the bassoon!

One other thought is a natural affinity for the type of sound - there is such a thing as a "timbre preference test". I never took it, but really found that I just loved the bassoon's sound. I also - not surprisingly - love cello and french horn.

I played flute for a long time. I will say, flutes are a dime a dozen. You have to be REALLY REALLY good to get into audition-only groups or to get things like scholarships. Piccolo is nice to have, and a very very easy transition for a flutist, but will not really give you much advantage (because it is an easy transition for every other flutist out there too). Something like bassoon would definitely make a musician stand out more.