Menu

Anyone clearing/cleaning out today?

I'm doing the remaining goo in the garage today. There's going to be a LOT of bellering and carrying on. Wish me luck.

Whatever is down there is getting donated period. Haven't touched the stuff in over 6 months, taking the kid down with me, it's going to be a battle and a half I know.:boxing_smiley:

I should be, but I am having a pity party. Lots of stuff that I worked hard to plan have fallen apart. Not having anyone IRL to talk to anymore is really hard. Plus, dh and some of the kids are out of town at a graduation party and my other son is out for the day. Just me and the dog. I half don't want to go to the bathroom because then I will wake him up and have to pay attention to him.

Yep cleaning out the boys room. I am shocked what one of my children was sleeping on. Lets just say EWW! So any moms with bunks you might want to double check they are getting stripped and the sheets and cover washed...

But my boys have lost their bunks for now as wrestling on the top bunk is not safe... Of course now they have 3 beds in a line and think you are to jump from one to another. :confused:

I'm in my middle trimester of pregnancy, which is always a clearing out time for me!

Right now I want to do two things (before I get too big to want to be super active):

1. Get rid of or store anything we are not really and actually using right now (For instance, I boxed up all the homeschooling stuff I won't be using this coming year and put it in the basement.)

2. Simplify the routines and clean-ups in the house as much a possible. (See my post about storing picture books! http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384126 )

I hope your efforts at clearing out are going well! I'll be tackling my 10 year old son's bedroom this coming week. He is very creative/inventive and wants to save EVERYTHING. But many things have just go to go. We'll see how that goes!

4 bags of undonatable "stuff" done. Break time. She's bagging up stuff she wants to donate to a little girl who likes AG stuff, Barbies. Her art supplies which are keepers are getting back in order (there's some serious bucks in this stuff!) We stop to photograph her art projects, sentimental cards, or things which she's donating that she has some sort of emotional memory of, it's easier to let go that way. It's just like shopping sort of I tell her.

The rule is, touch a thing, make a decision. Donate, keep or throw away. The keep stuff is staying down there and going through a second look later.

I really, really worry about (and please, this is not meant to start a *issue* around here) but I do worry that she might have some genetic tendency to hoard (as in literal hoarding, mental health wise) - so teaching her how to make decisions about "stuff" and "things" is really important to me as a mom.

She has a short fuse with this, but when she hits a groove with coaching she does alright.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't even look, it'd be pitched. I'm glad she's helping though, I spotted my black pearls from Hawaii in her "stuff". No idea how they got tangled in her things, but they did, and those would have been goners for sure. Yikes!

At least she didn't need coaching on old stinky shoes..lol

shoe-1.jpg

I spent 4 or 5 hours clearing/cleaning out today, but it was at my parents' house instead of mine! They are preparing to move next week, so several family members went over to help. Wish I could get them all to my house next weekend for a work day!

I'm glad you got your pearls back!

Bagged up a bunch of clothes for Goodwill and some for recycling (things with holes, etc.). There is room in my closet! Things aren't all squished in there! Hopefully this means less ironing in the future. :D

Congrats to those of you who took on big projects today! I send you a virtual pat on the back. :001_smile:

I've been seriously attacking the neglected corners of my house. I put my 5.5 year old's ultrasound picture into a purposeful saving spot for the first time today. My youngest is 3.5, my oldest is 8.5 and I feel like I am able to come up for air now.

Going to tackle my closet today! :D

That is what I did, too. It took me all day, but I went through EVERYTHING. Labeled shoe boxes, took out bags of donation items, wiped down every shelf, went though every drawer, and vacuumed the edges of the carpet.

It feels good! Now, I just have the do that to the entire rest of the house and two barns.:D

Is there a reason all of you are decluttering/cleaning out at this particular time?

It needed to be done!

My friend asked me to go to Ikea with her!

I had my girls help me clean out my shelves in the garage last week and it felt good.

I figured my kids aren't little anymore--I really don't have an excuse to have a messy house anymore

Those are my reasons!

Personally, we are in a transition zone (possible move coming) and I really need to lighten even more than we are.

And it never helps that I spot spiders out there, I am seriously anti-spider in a clinical way..lol. I keep thinking they are going to crawl into the truck and set up house in there while it sits in the garage.

It's one of the reasons I really like bare space, and then there's that pesky menopause issue where I can't "find" anything - less I have to remember and shuffle around, the better. It's like taking mental inventory again so I can find and use what I have ha ha.

I'm cleaning today because it's been bad for weeks (the piles of toys in the family room) and I can't take it anymore. Many days, I waste so much time poking around on the computer, looking to occupy my mind rather than getting the mundane housework done. I'm about halfway - vacuuming under the couch and the area rug is done. The big bad corner is waiting. I just had a quarter cup of coffee to give me some juice to get this finished.

After that, what to do with the books.... somehow a laundry basket has been filled up with books, but I don't seem to have a place to put them, because the kids' bookshelves are full, as are my shelves and the shelves in the office and in the basement... Book organization, done properly, could easily take a whole day.

and then I need to go running and at some point put away a couple baskets of laundry :tongue_smilie:

I'm cleaning because we are moving and I read the moving thread. There were too many posts about decluttering so I decluttered. :D My drawers have needed cleared out for awhile anyway and I enjoy decluttering so I just kept going. I did my drawers, my closet, half the attic, and the playroom. I probably should deal with the curriculum stash too. :/

I'm cleaning because we are moving and I read the moving thread. There were too many posts about decluttering so I decluttered. :D My drawers have needed cleared out for awhile anyway and I enjoy decluttering so I just kept going. I did my drawers, my closet, half the attic, and the playroom. I probably should deal with the curriculum stash too. :/

No, not the curriculum stash! ;) I've gradually been paring mine down.