Menu

s/o on Mattress Buying...if you've bought at Ikea or Overstock or...

someplace else, can you share what you purchased and if u are happy with it -- thanks.

DH wants to go to Ikea (which I personally do not have an issue with -- i just need to know that we have exhausted all other options)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSuKNXtXg-W_FXsIzm5LunkbCvMWD3CNZBOZnL3woXmVeQ8w_r DH also wants foam for the king set we need to purchase -- memory foam. I have seen excellent prices on overstock and I like dealing with them. I don't want to spend $2500. on king size memory foam which is what full retail/furniture store seems to be.

We also need a full size set (doesn't have to be foam) and two twin mattresses (daybed and trundle). I hadn't even thought of Costco or one of those places. Experiences?

Thanks so much -- ETA: I know that when dh and i sit down to plan the 'mattress buying tour,' he is first going to ask me what you all answered here.;)

Edited by MariannNOVA

We bought a mattress for one daughter at Ikea. She is a teenager and I wouldn't be comfortable with that mattress. I probably won't ever buy a mattress from Ikea again.

We bought 3 XL Twin (seriously consider getting this if you have teens or almost teens) through Sleepys. We've been happy with those. My dd said it was very comfortable. They were all very tired of sleeping on a bed that was too short and 2 of them had been at college where they had Xlongs. I've occasionally slept in the college boys room when hubby's snoring is too bad and the bed was comfortable.

http://www.sleepys.com/en/Sealy-Posturepedic-Mohican-Firm_41793/?bct=ordersummary&summaryOnly=true It was on sale when we bought it.

When we moved we upgraded to a King for ourselves and bought a memory foam top mattress. I LOVE that my husband's constant tossing and turning doesn't disturb me anymore (is there any way to get this to work on his snoring ??;)). It is pretty comfortable. But, it does have a well on each side of the bed where we sleep and a hill between us. We bought from a local Model Home re-sale store that sold mattresses too (unused). We were told these were mattresses that are normally sold to hotels and I don't remember the brand- but it was much cheaper than going to a traditional store.

HTH

We bought a terrible mattress from IKEA. Within 5 years it was falling apart and you could feel all the springs when you laid down on it.

We've been very happy with the mattresses we've bought from Costco. Twins are <$150 and they are actually comfortable when you lay down on them.

I just remembered that you're just south of me (or at least you were). If you don't mind a bit of a drive up to Mont. Co. here's the link to the model home store where we bought our King mattress

http://www.modelhomeclearance.com/index.cfm?intro=done

Thank you :)-- i've been thinking of making the drive there -- this is helpful.

and, no, sadly, there is nothing we can do about the snoring. I, too, simply move to another room when it is really loud.:glare:

We bought a terrible mattress from IKEA. Within 5 years it was falling apart and you could feel all the springs when you laid down on it.

We've been very happy with the mattresses we've bought from Costco. Twins are <$150 and they are actually comfortable when you lay down on them.

Thank you -- helpful.:)

2 years ago we bought our king memory foam from overstock.com and are very happy with it. This is what we bought Comfort Dreams Select a Firmness option SOFT 11' size for 599.99 and of course their shipping cost is the best( $3 something). Last year we got dd a Serta 8 inch Queen memory foam for 349.00 and she is quite happy with it.

I buy most of my furniture from IKEA but I had always heard NOT to buy a mattress from them. On our last visit there we tried the memory foam and they were not comfortable.

DH and I just bought our new mattress a year ago from The Original Mattress Factory and I will say it's the most comfortable conventional mattress I've ever owned. I like that it's actually double sided so we can and do flip it to help it wear more evenly.

My kids will be needing new mattresses soon and I plan to go to them. I like that I can see what the mattress is made of in their shop.

I've tried many memory foam mattresses and they just make me hot and uncomfortable. I have a spinal fusion of my lower lumbar/sacral spine and no matter what they say memory foam just doesn't offer me the support I need.

2 years ago we bought our king memory foam from overstock.com and are very happy with it. This is what we bought Comfort Dreams Select a Firmness option SOFT 11' size for 599.99 and of course their shipping cost is the best( $3 something). Last year we got dd a Serta 8 inch Queen memory foam for 349.00 and she is quite happy with it.

I buy most of my furniture from IKEA but I had always heard NOT to buy a mattress from them. On our last visit there we tried the memory foam and they were not comfortable.

DH and I just bought our new mattress a year ago from The Original Mattress Factory and I will say it's the most comfortable conventional mattress I've ever owned. I like that it's actually double sided so we can and do flip it to help it wear more evenly.

uncomfortable. I have a spinal fusion of my lower lumbar/sacral spine and no matter what they say memory foam just doesn't offer me the support I need.

I like to be able to flip a mattress -- sadly, there are no OMFs near us -- i just checked. your info about foam and being warm is good though, b/c that is something i would definitely have to think about.:):)

I am really leaning towards os, but i will have dh take a look -- thanks for the ikea reports -- i just wasn't comfortable going to them for a mattress.

Thank you :)-- i've been thinking of making the drive there -- this is helpful.

and, no, sadly, there is nothing we can do about the snoring. I, too, simply move to another room when it is really loud.:glare:

Does he need a sleep study and a CPAP machine? Snoring can be a sign of sleep apnea which can wreck havoc on your health. DH and I no longer snore with CPAP;) More importantly we feel much better with cpap.

How about Sam's club or Costco for mattresses. We got ours at Sam's several years ago and love them. They also sell memory foam toppers:D

I am thinking I am going to buy my dd a full mattress from overstock.com. I just bought her a new bed and us a new king bed from them. You can't beat the shipping and no tax.

I still think this weekend for our bed we are going to get a Tempurpedic. I really don't want to spend the money, but I am leary about the other nock off brands. One thing I found out from the store manager is you can ask for one someone else returned within the 30 day trial period and if they locate one local for you they will take $500-750 off. It has to go through quality check and approval at the warehouse, so we might consider this option to save some money.

DD5 and DD13 have foam mattresses from IKEA. The are fine for them (small and under 100lbs), but I wouldn't buy them for an adult. I don't find them comfortable, even in the show room. DD5's is on the floor, DD13's is on her bunk bed.

We have a mattress from Costco. They come with a 10 year warranty and we returned our last one right about year 2-3. It was sagging. They made it as easy as possible, including delivering and picking up. We are very happy with our current mattress from Costco. I would never hesitate to buy from them again.

How do you buy a mattress online? Do you just hope that it is the comfort level you expect it to be?

I have had bad experiences with Overstock on simple things like books that never arrived....so I would never buy from them again. It sounds like you have had better experiences though. What happens if you buy from them and then you don't like it or if it is defective? Do you have to pay for it to go back?

Guest inoubliable

We bought ours from IKEA last summer and are thrilled! We went with the Sultan line - the mid-price for all of the boys (2 twin and 1 full) and the high-priced one for us (queen size). We didn't buy box springs, we bought their slatted bed bases and then built beds for everyone. The mattresses are latex and foam so you have to be extra careful of getting circulation to them. For months all of our mattresses were on the floor (not a huge deal for us as we're pretty minimalistic anyway) and we made sure to keep them on the slatted bed bases so that we didn't get the mold/mildew issues that come up with foam/latex mattresses without enough circulation. The mattresses themselves have held up really well. And, really, if you tend to move a lot who doesn't want a mattress that could roll up and go? ;)

One thing I found out from the store manager is you can ask for one someone else returned within the 30 day trial period and if they locate one local for you they will take $500-750 off. It has to go through quality check and approval at the warehouse, so we might consider this option to save some money.

I would be very hesitant to do this. Bed bugs, boldily fluids, ugh.

I would also steer clear of Ikea.

Why on earth are mattresses so expensive, and why are there so many handwritten signs on the side of the road offering mattress sets??

We bought our mattress at Mattress Discounters. We buy the firmest conventional mattresses. DH gs too hot for foam and we like the back support. He has a bad back from the military and I dance a million hours a week so we NEED a firm mattress.

Anyway, the mattress was inexpensive, name brand, delivered, and old mattress hauled away all with just a phone call, but we were comfortable asking for the firmest mattress without trying it out. (Our son's mattress was ordered from here first, so we weren't flying completely blind.)

I would be very hesitant to do this. Bed bugs, boldily fluids, ugh.

I agree, except there are some things different about a Tempurpedic. Bed bugs can not live in them and they have to have a special protective mattress cover. The protective mattress cover you buy would be a new one.

I do otherwise cringe about used mattresses. And I see them everywhere.

We bought our ds a mattress from Costco sometime last fall or winter and have been very pleased with it. I have found Costco to have the best customer service of just about any place I know.

I have no personal experience, but a good friend of mine had an IKEA mattress for her king bed and told me never to get one from there. It was uncomfortable and didn't last long.

My daughter has a twin from IKEA. It's 5 years old and it is comfy and is holding up just fine. I think maybe the buyer just needs to pay attention to the buying guidelines on the mattresses. There are weight limits, etc for each mattress type. I think that if you buy the right one for your needs you would be quite happy with an IKEA mattress.

I've got an Ikea mattress in the guest room. We used it as our bed for a year before it was repurposed and it's still in good shape and comfortable after 9 years. It was a middle of the line combined springs/matress and it gets used for dh's weekend naps all the time, so it does hold up.