Menu

when you have more than 1 at the same table....

Jpoy85

For those of you who do school at the kitchen table and have multiple children at multiple ages.....

How do you keep them from talking to each other, getting distracting, telling the other how, when and why to do their lessons while ignoring their own?

C and L are finishing up lessons and they have to sit next to each other because they need to share the crayons, but they wont leave each other alone. They were sitting across from each other, but they still were talking, distracting, etc.

Why would I want to? If one wants to teach the other, let her (or him...sorry, I didn't catch if it was a boy or girl). I home school my kids because I want them to know each other. Don't underestimate the value of older kids teaching younger ones! My 3 year old knows the Greek alphabet because she hangs out with the bigger ones and talks along with us.

I would suggest letting them talk to each other and explain whatever they want to. You can use this to find out if they really know what they are talking about. If not, use it as a lesson to teach both of them what went wrong at the same time.

It's really fun listening to the older ones sit in the "teacher" role. They show me insights I had never thought of before.

Why run your school like the public schools?! You don't have to!

Hot Lava Mama

We all sit around a large table and there is lots of chatter. There are a lot of reminders nto to interrupt Mom when I'm teaching, to put eyes back on one's own assignment, etc. There is also sharing of things that they are proud of or things they come across that they find interesting or funny. Some days I'm more patient than others but I wouldn't change the set up.

If anyone wants more quiet or privacy they are able to go to the other room or to their bedrooms or whatever. It's also a good time to teach being respectful of others as I remind kids to be tolerant of their sibling's humming or ask the humming student to be quiet so someone else can concentrate or whatever.

In a public school classroom there is a lot of crowd management - teachers telling students to stop talking to one another, stop staring out the window, focus, etc.

I only stop it when it starts to get loud. Really, a close relationship between siblings is one of the benefits of homeschooling. If I feel like time is a'ticking I just say "so, older child, how is that math assignment going?" Or a gentle, 'can we get back to the work at hand. There will be time to play when we are done."

But, if one was actually teaching the other, and it was going well, I think I would let that go and thank my stars. I usually just get one telling the other why they are wrong :lol:

I have a miniature, three sided, cardboard project board from walmart that I use to post memory work on, but it also great to stick between talking siblings when they shouldn't be talking. It's about 1 x 2 feet.

There are THOSE days when I split up the crayons...

I like a very quiet house, especially during schooling times, so my two year old twins try my patience in this respect. I really have no problem with some noise, especially in the form of constructive and interesting discussion, but I can't tolerate fooling around or useless noise. Hey, I have boys. 'Nuff said.:D

When I get the twins and the baby down for naps all at the same time, EVERYONE whispers for the entire nap time. True story.

I have a miniature, three sided, cardboard project board from walmart that I use to post memory work on, but it also great to stick between talking siblings when they shouldn't be talking. It's about 1 x 2 feet.

I love it.

Why would I want to? If one wants to teach the other, let her (or him...sorry, I didn't catch if it was a boy or girl). I home school my kids because I want them to know each other. Don't underestimate the value of older kids teaching younger ones! My 3 year old knows the Greek alphabet because she hangs out with the bigger ones and talks along with us.

I would suggest letting them talk to each other and explain whatever they want to. You can use this to find out if they really know what they are talking about. If not, use it as a lesson to teach both of them what went wrong at the same time.

It's really fun listening to the older ones sit in the "teacher" role. They show me insights I had never thought of before.

Hot Lava Mama

I don't try to run my school like the public schools, but that doesn't mean I think the kids need to be talking all the bloomin' time, either. If they were having productive discussions, it wouldn't be so bad (and when they are, I leave them alone), but the "teaching" is more like the older one bossing around the younger, the younger just picking at the older to get on her nerves, neither one of them is doing the assigned work, "Mom, she touched me!" "Mom, he's being mean to me!" and on and on so that sometimes I just want them to shut. up. and do their work! I discovered a couple years ago that a big myth of homeschooling is that we don't have to waste as much time as public school teachers in getting the students back on track. :tongue_smilie:

Buy more crayons. ;) If my kids are disrupting each other, and I can't move the assignment for one or both, then they have to take turns completing it. One will be given a worksheet or a chore to do while the other works, then they trade off.

But, I am serious about the crayons. One of the best things I've done is to give each child a craft box with their own scissors, ruler, pens, erasers, colored pencils, etc. Now I no longer have to field questions from 3 kids about where the scissors are, just from the one who loses everything. :glare:

I am lucky enough to be able to combine my two for a few things. We usually start with the two of them sitting across the table from each other while we do MBtP, and yes, they talk. I'm able to "steer" the conversation somewhat and sometimes the older forgets to let his sister answer once in a while, but we're working on that. Then, usually one or the other of them needs additional time on the MBtP in a given day, so while that one works semi-independently on that, I start the other one with their next thing, usually math. Rinse, repeat, with many breaks for me to go get more apple slices or raisins or whatever once they are settled.

If I had more kids or couldn't combine them at least once in a while, I am not sure how I would handle it. I can imagine it would turn into quite a juggling act...

Hot Lava Mama

I dont want it like public school. I also dont want C to distract L from her work or vice versa.

Good Idea!!!

I don't try to run my school like the public schools, but that doesn't mean I think the kids need to be talking all the bloomin' time, either. If they were having productive discussions, it wouldn't be so bad (and when they are, I leave them alone), but the "teaching" is more like the older one bossing around the younger, the younger just picking at the older to get on her nerves, neither one of them is doing the assigned work, "Mom, she touched me!" "Mom, he's being mean to me!" and on and on so that sometimes I just want them to shut. up. and do their work! I discovered a couple years ago that a big myth of homeschooling is that we don't have to waste as much time as public school teachers in getting the students back on track. :tongue_smilie:

The bolded is what I want to avoid.

Buy more crayons. ;) If my kids are disrupting each other, and I can't move the assignment for one or both, then they have to take turns completing it. One will be given a worksheet or a chore to do while the other works, then they trade off.

But, I am serious about the crayons. One of the best things I've done is to give each child a craft box with their own scissors, ruler, pens, erasers, colored pencils, etc. Now I no longer have to field questions from 3 kids about where the scissors are, just from the one who loses everything. :glare:

We have a "community" box for supplies. Tons of crayons, markers, colored pencils, erasers, dry erase markers, stickers, pencils, etc. I tried the individual boxes, but they end up losing them or trading off anyway.

^ This is what I have seen a lot of on h/s blogs where the children are at a big table.

Right now, because I am with them 99% of the time when schooling, I just remind one of the kids to "concentrate on their own work and let the other children figure it out" elsewise I just let them talk.

I also have some time where the eldest actually does a mini lesson with the others (she has a leader personality) or teaches DH something. This allows her to have a chance to "teach" and lead, but without interrupting our actual lessons.

Here, I usually have all three boys (and sometimes baby girl in her highchair with paper and crayons) around an otherwise small table. I'd say a majority of the time, I just let it go. Typically a quick redirection back to one's own work is enough to quell the talking/"teaching"/disruptions long enough for them to forget why they were getting involved with the other person. Like another poster said, sometimes I enjoy listening to them "teach" each other. Right now, ds#2 is doing that with ds#3; sometimes it's a bit too much (giving him the answers - then I'll step in), and sometimes he's trying to teach him too far above his ability (so I step in), but often he is really trying to help explain how to do something (usually math).

On the days my patience is shot, or the noise is just too much, I'll either put up dividers (similar to what a PP mentioned), ask/tell one to go in another room, or try to juggle assignments so only two are at the table at a time. And, when all else fails, I resort to telling them to be quiet, get to their own work, and to leave each other alone. :lol: I do try to limit the amount of time we are at the table in any given stretch (for instance, we are there for math in the morning but then get up and go in another room for literature/memory work, and then back for writing, and then on a break, rinse and repeat). It seems when our days can be broken like that, the time they are at the table, they are a bit more focused because when we are in the living room, they can lay on the floor, sit in a rocking chair, etc.

I feel your pain and understand that it's not always constructive teaching. Plenty of that happens in our house and that's nice, but the chattering can also make school take for.ever. and result in chaos real quick.

I have 4 kids (ages 8 - 3) at the table and they drive me nuts some days chattering and bossing. For instance, one might ask a question, "Mom, what am I supposed to do on this worksheet? I don't get it." Brother who is supposed to be doing a different assignment chimes in: "You're supposed to.. blah blah." Original kid: "Ohhh, OK" *starts doing it.* Me: "Noooo, that's not what it means. The directions say..." Brother: "But I thought..." Me: "How far are you on your assignment? What?! You're only on #2? Concentrate on your own work!" Original kid: "Sooo, what was I supposed to do again?" Little sister: "I'm donnne!! Do I get an A+?" *Baby crying in my ear* *3 yr old coming out of the bathroom with no pants or underwear on.*

:svengo:

On days like that I either tell everybody that it's time for SILENCE (with or without baby crying, of course) and to get to work and raise your hand if you have a question... OR I tell one to go to another room and finish their assignment. OR I tell the youngers to go in the living room if they are being distracting, so that's 1 or 2 less voices in our little school room.

I agree... get more crayons so you can separate them if you need to.

ETA: I would like to see these dividers everyone's talking about...

1)separate them into separate rooms if they are doing different lessons

2)if I am teaching/lecturing and they are being rude and disruptive, I remind them there will be extra chores for being rude and disruptive.

3) that usually stops them but I make sure to follow through if they are rude and being disruptive.

Mine sit on opposite ends of the table and have their own school boxes with all their own supplies handy. They do still talk and occasionally argue, but I do try to put a stop to it when it is too distracting.

For instance, one might ask a question, "Mom, what am I supposed to do on this worksheet? I don't get it." Brother who is supposed to be doing a different assignment chimes in: "You're supposed to.. blah blah." Original kid: "Ohhh, OK" *starts doing it.* Me: "Noooo, that's not what it means. The directions say..." Brother: "But I thought..." Me: "How far are you on your assignment? What?! You're only on #2? Concentrate on your own work!" Original kid: "Sooo, what was I supposed to do again?" Little sister: "I'm donnne!! Do I get an A+?" *Baby crying in my ear* *3 yr old coming out of the bathroom with no pants or underwear on.*.

Good heavens! Do you have a hidden camera in my house?!? this happens to us daily! :willy_nilly:

My kids sit together at the table for group work only. That is the time we can all work on one subject, project, etc. as a group and/or work on something that is not hampered by chatting (art, for example). We do this in the morning.

In the afternoon, I work with each of them separately. Serene! :D

:iagree:

I feel your pain and understand that it's not always constructive teaching. Plenty of that happens in our house and that's nice, but the chattering can also make school take for.ever. and result in chaos real quick.

I have 4 kids (ages 8 - 3) at the table and they drive me nuts some days chattering and bossing. For instance, one might ask a question, "Mom, what am I supposed to do on this worksheet? I don't get it." Brother who is supposed to be doing a different assignment chimes in: "You're supposed to.. blah blah." Original kid: "Ohhh, OK" *starts doing it.* Me: "Noooo, that's not what it means. The directions say..." Brother: "But I thought..." Me: "How far are you on your assignment? What?! You're only on #2? Concentrate on your own work!" Original kid: "Sooo, what was I supposed to do again?" Little sister: "I'm donnne!! Do I get an A+?" *Baby crying in my ear* *3 yr old coming out of the bathroom with no pants or underwear on.*

On days like that I either tell everybody that it's time for SILENCE (with or without baby crying, of course) and to get to work and raise your hand if you have a question... OR I tell one to go to another room and finish their assignment. OR I tell the youngers to go in the living room if they are being distracting, so that's 1 or 2 less voices in our little school room.

:grouphug:

I did the same thing. Mine can be seen here. I ended up taking one of the three sides off and I sit on the open side so I can easily see what both of them are doing. I binder clip the two boards together so they stand upright. The problem I was having before I did this was my son would just answer things for his sister or tease her about her stuff being "too easy".

I have separate containers for their supplies. Target had some plastic containers that were three flat boxes that snap together with a lid and handle. Each box is divided down the middle and I have crayons in one side and colored pencils in the other.

We do all our science, geography, history, etc. subjects together. Only math and language arts are separate but since those are also the sit-down-and-do-it subjects, this works out well for us.

Crayons are going to be 25 cents a pack this fall. Get more packs. :)

I can't keep my kids together. It's really going to vary by the kid. If your kids need to be separated to focus, they need to be separated. You might need to have 3 stations with your kids and you float in the middle. I try to keep my kids on separate floors in the house, because that's just what it takes for work to get done.

Crayons are going to be 25 cents a pack this fall. Get more packs. :)

I can't keep my kids together. It's really going to vary by the kid. If your kids need to be separated to focus, they need to be separated. You might need to have 3 stations with your kids and you float in the middle. I try to keep my kids on separate floors in the house, because that's just what it takes for work to get done.

Wow. Your house is my house. :lol::lol:

I discovered a couple years ago that a big myth of homeschooling is that we don't have to waste as much time as public school teachers in getting the students back on track. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I think it's impossible to have quiet, attentive students that hang on your every word. They are going to talk to each other and bicker and fight - even in homeschool.

As a K teacher, I had a behavior chart that I used to prevent disruptions and excessive talking. Especially good behavior was rewarded with a star and a trip to the treasure box. Negative behavior earned the student a card change and a consequence. I would allow some chatting, but not when I was directing a lesson.

Once they knew what to do - if a child took his time in completing his work because of too much talking, the child would have to sit and complete the paper on the playground while all their friends were playing. Would something like that work for you?

Usually mine work fine together, but when they don't, I just send someone upstairs or to the living room to do something that doesn't require me like a math drill or to read, either school reading or to do some of their required free reading time. Projects we do together, but if I'm involved then it's not an issue here.

I gave away the large table in our school room and bought separate desks. No, I'm not kidding. I have two ADHD boys and two younger girls. The noise level was unbelievable, and no it wasn't in any way constructive. I thought I was going insane. I moved everyone to separate corners of the room (I have 4 kids). 3 of them face the wall or window. Nobody faces each other, or else they start to make faces and annoy each other.

It's not silent in here by any stretch, but it is a whole lot better. I really admire those of you who can make a table with all kids at it work, but that was not possible here. We do usually stay in the same room.

My kids are a little older (11 &7). They sit together at a common table when they are working quietly and independently. If I have things to work on with the younger, where I will be talking, or if it is her reading time, I will take her upstairs and she will read to me in her room. The common classroom area is our quiet area - except of course during break time. :tongue_smilie:

I have all 4 from 1-10 yrs old at the kitchen table. My solution to the madness was to get a bigger table. We have 6 chairs on an 8 seated table. Its so much better now that everyone has their own space! My older kids do better on the ends with the toddlers in the middle. Sometimes side by side and other times on opposite sides. It depends on what they are doing for "school".

I would get more crayons!

I have one big table in the dining room but I also have a little desk and a big desk against the wall. My little guy until now has just used the little desk for handwriting assignments and the big desk belonged to my 11 year old, who now just goes elsewhere. But I'm about to start using the desks on a permanent basis! The 7 and 9 year olds can't help but kick each other under the table, make faces when I correct the other, and wreak havoc the minute I leave the room.

I guess I'll need to rearrange for next fall...only 4 more weeks to go! Yea! You're not alone.

Brownie