Menu

Are we crazy???

My Dh's resume has gotten some interest recently. There is just one problem, the job is in California. We live in Alabama right now. This job would be great but it means packing up four kids, three dogs and a cat and moving cross country.

I am excited but terrified. If we move we would be leaving all of our family and friends. I just can't wrap my head around where to begin to make this move happen. Are we crazy to even try this?

You are not crazy for considering it! We have moved twice in the past year for my husbands work. While we only had a baby and a cat and dog, the actual moving part is over before you know it. The new company may pay for the packing/moving, and depending on the size of the company, may fully arrange the move for you.

It doesn't hurt for him to consider it, go to the interview and then consider what the move would mean for all of you. New experiences are fun!

I don't know, maybe! :001_smile: Where is the job and is it a really good salary? California is, in many ways, a wonderful place to live. In many other ways it is a mess. Keep in mind that life is expensive here, unemployment is high, and the state is being mismanaged to disaster. What if the job doesn't work out?

I don't want to rain on your parade, and if you're happy then yay, great! But anyone moving to CA these days needs fair warning. :001_smile:

I don't know, maybe! :001_smile: Where is the job and is it a really good salary? California is, in many ways, a wonderful place to live. In many other ways it is a mess. Keep in mind that life is expensive here, unemployment is high, and the state is being mismanaged to disaster. What if the job doesn't work out?

I don't want to rain on your parade, and if you're happy then yay, great! But anyone moving to CA these days needs fair warning. :001_smile:

My Dh is a correction officer. The starting pay is what he makes now. And he would be working in a federal prison in a tiny town called Herlong.

My Dh is a correction officer. The starting pay is what he makes now. And he would be working in a federal prison in a tiny town called Herlong.

What the COL? Does the company fly him out for interviewing or do you have to pay that out of pocket? Do they help with moving expenses?

I don't think you are crazy, but personally, I would stay in Alabama! :001_smile: I don't think I could ever move to CA. I don't even want to go there on vacation! My husband keeps trying to get me interested, but I'm just not.

Good luck with your decision...just not some place that I would want to live. I also wouldn't want to be that far from ALL of my family!:grouphug:

Growing up as a military brat my parents moved 4 kids and pets more than once. Not ideal but it did work out. Of course our friends are scattered everywhere and I love facebook and finding my lost friends. My parents have now lived in one place for 13 years and I have lived in the same area almost as long, though in different houses. I am have an itch to move again and I know it is because I grew up moving around, meeting new people and finding new adventures.

:iagree:We are trying to get OUT of here! But on the other hand it is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.

I don't think your money would go as far here...not even way out there in Herlong. Are you prepared to live near nothing?;)

The positive is that it's about 130 miles or so from Lake Tahoe which is one of the best spots in the world!:D