Menu

Cincinnati convention get-together!!

My 10 yr ds announced today he wants to come. I reminded him how he was ready to leave after a couple hours looking at curriculum. Does anyone have experience with the Children's Conference, and is it enough to occupy him for two days? I tend to think not, but hey, I don't know anything about it.

My 10 yr ds announced today he wants to come. I reminded him how he was ready to leave after a couple hours looking at curriculum. Does anyone have experience with the Children's Conference, and is it enough to occupy him for two days? I tend to think not, but hey, I don't know anything about it.

Well see he heard how cute my (almost) 13 yo dd is and just wanted to come eat dessert with her. :lol: Just joking.

Seriously, my dd enjoys the convention. Maybe you know someone who is going to the teen track or other sessions that would interest him so he could tag along? Sometimes when my dd was that age I would take her to the session and find (happen upon) someone I knew there who would watch her.

The other option is to find a high value special thing for him to have. Some years I loaded an ipod shuffle with audio books. Could be some new games on the phone.

I think it's sweet that he wants to go with you. Maybe he just wants some time with mom? Milk it! Plan your meals out and some fun things for him to do. He'll be fine. Age really helps with this. He's a year older and may do better than last time.

That's a good idea about the ipod and games, etc. Hmmmm, this could work out.

How about an arranged date for your dd and my ds at the Andrew Kern workshops to get them off to a good start. :001_smile:

:lol::lol: I'm laughing SO hard here!! You've gotta know, she's pretty tall, like almost 5'7". They'd be like the boy following around Nancy Drew in the new(er, last couple years) version we just watched, lol. What a hoot!!! :lol:

She's talking about doing the teen track. We haven't gone through her actual schedule yet. Hopefully the one they've got up now is IT. I'll let you know once we go through it. :)

She's not boy-crazy btw, just playful and fun. :)

I haven't replied yet as to whether or not I can come to the meetup--we are going to the comedian Friday night, and that's scheduled from 8:30-9:30. So I doubt I'd be able to get there before 9:45-10 pm.

BTW, last year we stayed for a couple hours and talked. We'll probably still be there if you come after the comedy thing. Pick somebody from the group and call them on their cell phone to find out. Odds are, we'll still be there. :D

I will "bee" there!:D The Columbus dessert menu looks incredible. I could not get the Cincinnati one to work either.

It looks as if the restaurant is in the same complex as the Westin on my Google Maps. I will probably try to move my car from the parking lot I use during the day... it is creepy at night.

Also, I had printed the convention schedule not long after it came out. I just looked online again and they really changed it, especially on Thursday. I am going to have to get my highlighter out again!

BTW, last year we stayed for a couple hours and talked. We'll probably still be there if you come after the comedy thing. Pick somebody from the group and call them on their cell phone to find out. Odds are, we'll still be there. :D

Ok, I'll try to make it. Does someone [who keeps their phone on and will be there at the meetup] want to pm me their cell phone number?

I don't think I'll make it. I hate driving, but especially through the city at night with a little one. I will wear something bee related to the convention, though!

If I can come up w/something I will too. I loved meeting other people last year w/their bee attire on. It helped to locate friendlies. I hope others are able to do this as well.

Especially since I can't meet up w/everyone on Friday--big bummer.

Laura

My 3 loved it. Including my then 12 year old ds, but he's very young at heart. It's a lot like VBS. Lots of singing/dancing/crafts. Plus tons of other kids. The year before I hesitated and the kids conference filled up, and I had to take all 3 along. They still enjoyed it. Mostly they sat outside the rooms and played games. It was a long day this way, esp. for me b/c I worried about them the whole time.

I tried to leave early on Sat., but they didn't want to leave the kids' conference. You'll still have time at night w/him b/c they close b4 all the sessions are done. Registration morning is absolutely crazy.

I go to the convention as much for my kids as I do for myself. They love the hotel (even w/o a pool as we stay at the Millennium--another great recommendation fro Elizabeth!), the eating out, the vendors, and the hundreds of other kids. We often run into a lot of people we know b/c it's in our state.

Laura

I backed out last year because group got way too large. If it is very large probably will just come and say hi then go away. :D

Holly

Well Holly, since you're going to come sit beside *me* at the table and have only one person beside you, we'll be our own small world adjacent to the main group. What would I do without the one person there I've actually met from the group? You've gotta come support me! I would be heartbroken and shattered! :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to join you all Friday. I am going to make a few "hive" items to wear and hopefully will be able to meet some of you in the convention hall. Have a lovely time ladies!

Well bummer! But thanks for telling me so I could cross you off the list! :)

I haven't replied yet as to whether or not I can come to the meetup--we are going to the comedian Friday night, and that's scheduled from 8:30-9:30. So I doubt I'd be able to get there before 9:45-10 pm.

Ok, I'll try to make it. Does someone [who keeps their phone on and will be there at the meetup] want to pm me their cell phone number?

I haven't had anyone offer a cell phone number yet. I'd like to call and see if you're all still there after the comedy thing is over. :seeya:

argggg!!! I totally forgot the dd has a ballet performance this weekend!!! 4 shows!!! Now i don't even know if i can come to the conference! Don't count on me for the get-together, but i'll let you know if i'm able to sneak out :leaving:

Well how dare they put a recital on the weekend of the convention! They should have known better! :D You know you come come anyway and just make it home for the last one. :lol:

How about Saturday lunch in the Millenium near the sky walk? I think we met there last year, in that area on a platform with tables and chairs.

Will the meet-up we have planned for Friday night work for you? It's Friday at 9pm at the McCormick & Schmick's restaurant. We're doing dessert. It was the concensus we came to that seemed to fit the most people.

We need to make sure we are traveling in groups to our hotel... Hubby said to make sure no one leaves alone. :) So everybody need to pair up with the person that is staying at the same hotel. :)

Holly

who is pairing up with Elizabeth as far as I know

I'm afraid I won't be joining you after all. Ds14 decided to come with me, and I don't want to leave him alone in the hotel.

Greta, there's room to bring him if you want. He'll join the 10 yo boy and my 13 yo girl and have a whole party for themselves. :D

We need to make sure we are traveling in groups to our hotel... Hubby said to make sure no one leaves alone. :) So everybody need to pair up with the person that is staying at the same hotel. :)

Holly

who is pairing up with Elizabeth as far as I know

I live in Cincinnati and im sorry but i think your hubby is wrong. Downtown is not a bad area. I live in Price Hill and that is NOT a good area. Over The Rhine is NOT a good area, neither is Avondale. I would easily walk around downtown by myself, but NEVER in my own neighborhood. Ive lived here in Cincinnati since birth ;)

I live in Cincinnati and im sorry but i think your hubby is wrong. Downtown is not a bad area. I live in Price Hill and that is NOT a good area. Over The Rhine is NOT a good area, neither is Avondale. I would easily walk around downtown by myself, but NEVER in my own neighborhood. Ive lived here in Cincinnati since birth ;)

I really do not mean to offend but I am an out of town'er so I think I will listen to hubby on this and be safe than sorry. ;) I wouldn't even walk downtown Indy by myself and I know the area very well. :) I need to abide my hubby's wishes not to walk outside cincy by myself. (not the typical submissive wife here but respecting his wishes in making sure my boys and I are safe away from him)

No offense, if so I am sorry!

Holly

I really do not mean to offend but I am an out of town'er so I think I will listen to hubby on this and be safe than sorry. ;) I wouldn't even walk downtown Indy by myself and I know the area very well. :) I need to abide my hubby's wishes not to walk outside cincy by myself. (not the typical submissive wife here but respecting his wishes in making sure my boys and I are safe away from him)

No offense, if so I am sorry!

Holly

I understand that, its just the way you posted it. I dont want others to think they will be shot at or something if they are walking without a buddy, especially downtown. I mean we have homeless weirdos who ask for bus fair, lol, but they wont hurt you. Now where i am in Price Hill, there are groups of people who just stand on the street corner and to me thats SCARY! Im talking about the big groups of people yelling, carrying on and are up to no good and you can tell by looking at them.

Has your hubby been here before? Im assuming he has by him saying that. Maybe it was where he was at that made him feel that way. We arent all that bad, I would just stay away from the bad areas!! :grouphug:

I understand that, its just the way you posted it. I dont want others to think they will be shot at or something if they are walking without a buddy, especially downtown. I mean we have homeless weirdos who ask for bus fair, lol, but they wont hurt you. Now where i am in Price Hill, there are groups of people who just stand on the street corner and to me thats SCARY! Im talking about the big groups of people yelling, carrying on and are up to no good and you can tell by looking at them.

Has your hubby been here before? Im assuming he has by him saying that. Maybe it was where he was at that made him feel that way. We arent all that bad, I would just stay away from the bad areas!! :grouphug:

Delted message.

Edited by Holly IN

Jen, Holly has been to the convention numerous years as have others of us. Granted downtown Cincy isn't Detroit, but there still are hazards. *I* felt uncomfortable some of the early mornings walking the streets before everyone was bustling when I was going to eat breakfast and I ran into unsavory characters downtown (cross-dressing hookers, in broad daylight!) that we sort of quickly walked around. It's a pretty colorful place and I think every woman here is WISE to stay together late at night. There are lots of restaurants there and quite a bit of Friday night stuff going on. Last year when I was walking from the Millenium to the Hilton after our get-together I was VERY uncomfortable and rattled by the carousing going on. If I hadn't had *2* security men from the Hilton in full line of sight the entire time, I would have been very concerned.

Perspectives are relative I guess, and I'm probably a lot stodgier now than I was 20 years ago. A lot nothing, light years. I used to jog at night on a college campus, if you can image. I'm fortunate nothing ever happened! Anyways, yes we've been there, and yes we're informed enough to have opinions on it. And yes we'll make sure that people can hook up with others and not be walking alone! :)

Jen, Holly has been to the convention numerous years as have others of us. Granted downtown Cincy isn't Detroit, but there still are hazards. *I* felt uncomfortable some of the early mornings walking the streets before everyone was bustling when I was going to eat breakfast and I ran into unsavory characters downtown (cross-dressing hookers, in broad daylight!) that we sort of quickly walked around. It's a pretty colorful place and I think every woman here is WISE to stay together late at night. There are lots of restaurants there and quite a bit of Friday night stuff going on. Last year when I was walking from the Millenium to the Hilton after our get-together I was VERY uncomfortable and rattled by the carousing going on. If I hadn't had *2* security men from the Hilton in full line of sight the entire time, I would have been very concerned.

Perspectives are relative I guess, and I'm probably a lot stodgier now than I was 20 years ago. A lot nothing, light years. I used to jog at night on a college campus, if you can image. I'm fortunate nothing ever happened! Anyways, yes we've been there, and yes we're informed enough to have opinions on it. And yes we'll make sure that people can hook up with others and not be walking alone! :)

Its ok. I apologized and explained that she meant no offense and neither did I. Its hard to read what people mean online. That i hope we are ALL safe. ;)

:iagree:though I live in Westwood.

Having grown up in Chicago, this place is pretty low crime.

That being said, and I know you all hashed this out, everyone should do what they feel is comfortable, but should not be overly paranoid either. Seeing a cross dressing prostitute (I can't imagine you would see one downtown, that would be a bit farther away...) is different than being accosted by a cross-dressing prostitute. They are trying very hard to revitalize downtown and I think do a pretty good job of being proactive. Now, if you are going to be driving around OTR looking for crack, you might run into some problems.;)

Ok, I know, it is more about being a woman alone. That is universal anywhere. It does come across weird though.

I will be walking by myself to M & S, and then walking by myself to my car. I have my keys I can shove in someone's eye if I have to. :D

I'm not coming to the convention this year, but I thought maybe I'd pop in for the get-together ... but I have a hockey game Friday night at 10. So I'll miss it. But have fun!

Tara

How disappointing!! Well if you want to pop by just for a few, there's room. :)

That's for sharing that for the rest of us. I was worried when I read the other post. As a Cincinnati native, can you recommend a hotel in the area that is cheap but safe and clean & within 15 min drive of convention site? I don't need amenities, (though a frig would be nice). And I don't have to be downtown. I don't mind driving 15 min to get to the Duke Center as long as it's not a complicated drive. I'm worried about choosing a hotel at random off the internet in terms of safety, not knowing the drive time & not knowing if it's clean.

That's for sharing that for the rest of us. I was worried when I read the other post. As a Cincinnati native, can you recommend a hotel in the area that is cheap but safe and clean & within 15 min drive of convention site? I don't need amenities, (though a frig would be nice). And I don't have to be downtown. I don't mind driving 15 min to get to the Duke Center as long as it's not a complicated drive. I'm worried about choosing a hotel at random off the internet in terms of safety, not knowing the drive time & not knowing if it's clean.

In Newport (near Newport on the levee) are nicer hotels- i cant think of any off hand though. Garfield Inn and Residence Inn (downtown) are nice. Let me talk to my landlord, she use to clean hotels and shed know. I do know Garfield and Residence are good. Garfield is cheapest of them. I think its $100?

I'm not able to make the meet up, not sure if you are checking rsvps here still so I pm'ed OhElizabeth also. I really, really wish I could, it would have been nice to meet you all and see if there is anybody who lives out this way. I hope you all have fun!