Menu

Cincinnati convention get-together!!

Ok ladies, let's get this planned! State your preference and get the ball rolling.

1) What night?

2) What location?

3) What time?

I'm not going to be there Thursday, just Friday and Saturday, so my suggestion is Friday night. If the majority wants Thursday, that's fine too. Just put your preference in this thread and let's see where it ends up!

As far as location, we've done the upper level of the Millenium by the piano and skywalk. We could do that again, or we could do a restaurant or something. Just state your preference.

On Friday you could do it at 9:30, after the last session. Are people going to the comedian? I'm not doing that, which means theoretically I could do 8:30 (unless I go to that last Pudewa talk.) If you pick Thursday, I'm no help there.

So go ahead and list your times, days, locations, and see if we can get this worked out! :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

Hey,

I can't make it Friday night as I need to drive back to Columbus to get dd in bed at a decent hour before her 8 am volleyball tournament.

Friday morning????

Millennium was a good location. Wish there was an onsite coffee shop.

Laura

ETA: I completely understand that Friday probably makes the most sense for everyone. I'm just sad I can't be at the convention on Sat.

Edited by lauracolumbus

:iagree:I may need to do another fly-by this year as I'm attending with my MIL and SIL.

Well nuts, would you rather do lunch? Everyone eats lunch. Well not everyone. Sometimes I get so busy I forget to eat, lol. But we could all meet for lunch somewhere. Campanello's is just around the corner and very, very good. It's small and dark, sort of a dive, but oh so tasty. Or Chipotle we could walk to and eat outside. Or...

Hey,

I can't make it Friday night as I need to drive back to Columbus to get dd in bed at a decent hour before her 8 am volleyball tournament.

Friday morning????

Millennium was a good location. Wish there was an onsite coffee shop.

Laura

ETA: I completely understand that Friday probably makes the most sense for everyone. I'm just sad I can't be at the convention on Sat.

Ooo, ooo, wildly raising hand!!! There's a crepe restaurant near the convention center!!!!!!!! Or at least there was last year. We should look and see. We could meet and do a sane hour for breakfast. Is anyone going to that very first session at 8:30? If no one is but you're going to be there, then that would be a good time.

I'll be there Thursday-Saturday. It looks like I can be pretty flexible. Thursday and Friday evening are open (Thursday after 9, Friday after 8). Friday morning would work before 10:00. Friday lunch doesn't look good, I've got back to back sessions with double stars (those are the must-do sessions)!

The Millenium worked pretty well, but if we can get together for breakfast Friday that sounds fun too! I'd say go with when we can get the most people!

Or here's another thought - supper on Friday? Could we just plan to meet in an area where there are tables?

We're planning to just get something from the hall vendors Friday night, so I would be game for that.

Denise, I'm taking it you haven't been yet? The building is HUGE and it's hard to get tables, even though they put out a lot. And it's hard to hear, even when you get a table. And the lines get long for food. The Montgomery Inn is insanely good, but we just kind of get it and look like pigs with bbq sauce running down our faces, not the way you want to meet people. :lol:

The bummer about lunch is the two back-to-back sessions with SWB. Means if people are going to both, they don't have a break. And some might be going to one or the other.

Ok, let's pursue this breakfast thing a second. If you don't like the crepes, there's another restaurant that is more traditional, I'll go find the name. They have eggs, oatmeal, that sort of thing, just a rise and shine place They're pretty fast and had plenty of seating for a larger group. It was also quiet. If you want to do breakfast on either Friday or Saturday, that would work. Oh, Saturday doesn't work for Laura.

Well see what you think of that. If you don't like breakfast either Fri or Sat, then it sounds like we're looking at Fri evening as things wrap up (8:30 or 9:30, depending on whether people go to that last session). See what you think. Oh, I totally forgot!!!!!! Campanello's is open that late that Friday night. We could meet and do dinner there. We love their fried zucchini. It's sort of a ritual for us. Last year people ordered LaRosa's pizza and ate at the Millenium. It's whatever you like. I haven't explored the other restaurants downtown but am up for an adventure. Just have to be safe. :)

Edited by OhElizabeth

Ok, I've thought about this a bit. If we do breakfast, it would be dramatically easier for me if it's Saturday morning. I'd be driving in 2 1/2 hours and have to leave really early (5:30?) to make it. I'm not exactly an early riser, lol.

So I guess just vote. Either late Friday (and pick a location) or Saturday breakfast. Or pick Friday breakfast and take the chance I won't be there. Won't hurt my feelings. I'm just getting the ball rolling. :)

Denise, I'm taking it you haven't been yet? The building is HUGE and it's hard to get tables, even though they put out a lot. And it's hard to hear, even when you get a table. And the lines get long for food. The Montgomery Inn is insanely good, but we just kind of get it and look like pigs with bbq sauce running down our faces, not the way you want to meet people. :lol:

Yea, I think you're right on all counts, that would be hard to pull off. Just a late night "hey maybe this would work" thought! It's always hard to figure out the logistics of this!

Ok, I've thought about this a bit. If we do breakfast, it would be dramatically easier for me if it's Saturday morning. I'd be driving in 2 1/2 hours and have to leave really early (5:30?) to make it. I'm not exactly an early riser, lol.

So I guess just vote. Either late Friday (and pick a location) or Saturday breakfast. Or pick Friday breakfast and take the chance I won't be there. Won't hurt my feelings. I'm just getting the ball rolling. :)

I would be okay with either Friday or Saturday morning, or Friday evening is fine as well. Flexible, but not helping the decision!

The crepes place sounds awesome, but it seems like it's quite a hike from the convention center. A closer place would probably be better.

I see that SWB is NOT lecturing on Saturday until 10:00, so that would work for me. But honestly, I'm NOT a morning person. Dinner would be better for me. I can always buy the lecture. I am staying with several friends, so we'll be doing a dinner either TH or FR. We just haven't decided yet.

Elizabeth,

Why don't you just plan what's best for you since you got this ball rolling and it sounds like Friday night is probably best for everyone.

I think you might have recommended the crepes place to us last year, and we loved it. It wasn't too far.

If we have time Thursday night, I might have to check out the other places that you mentioned.

We got great breakfast sandwiches at the Dunkin Donut one Fri. morning (I think they were closed on Sat.) They were so filling they lasted us most of the day.

We might try the LaRosa's delivery. I'm not sure if I remember correctly but the pizza at the Millennium wasn't very good.

I'll catch up to you next year!

Laura

I live here too- I can meet whenever!!!!

I will only be at the convention Friday though, but i can meet whenever, AM or PM.

Im assuming this will be moms only? (im asking so i can know if i need a sitter or if DH will watch them)

and ive never had a crepe or anything like that so im open to w/e

ETA: I learned i can go whenever. Friday is better for me though. Does anyone want to get together with me Saturday though? Friday Im going with Dh to get curriculum, Saturday id like to just browse.

Edited by Jpoy85

I will be there all weekend. Friday morning or night sounds good to me.

If we do not do the first session, the next one doesn't start until 10:00. Unfortunately, SWB is speaking at that first session for anyone who may want to see her. (I have heard this one- it is good.)

(I adore crepes! What a treat.)

I vote for Friday night. I will be coming by myself (a blessed relief to have some alone time for a couple days) and staying at the Millenium. Will I truly be able to walk via the sky walk system from the convention center to the hotel?

If we meet Friday night, will I be able to get safely back to the Millenium if we are out until, say, 10:30 - 11?

Ok ladies, I hope what I have here is something you'll like! I suggest we meet at the McCormick & Schmicks restaurant for dessert, Friday evening at 9pm. Here's the link http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/cincinnati-ohio/EFifthSt.aspx

I *think* it may actually be located in the Hilton. The dessert menu I pulled up for the Columbus location (couldn't get Cincy's to work) looks pretty decadent and wonderful! And if you don't want dessert, just have tea or something, kwim? Ok, drink what you want. I'm just thinking it might be fun. Here's a link to the dessert menu for the Columbus location. http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/menus/0085-McCormick-Schmicks-Seafood-Columbus-OH/Dessert.pdf

I went ahead and made that reservation for 12 people. Now I need a head count to see where we're actually at. I can add more, no problem. I'd just like to know and get that done so we don't run into problems.

As far as safety, well since it's in the Hilton you're very safe. You can walk back to the Millenium as a group and be in view of the Hilton security guards the whole way, in plenty of light. (I did it last year walking back from the Millenium to the Hilton.) I picked 9 pm because I figured that gave people time to drop their stuff off at their hotel room after the vendor hall closes at 8:30. If you haven't eaten and need to grab chipotle on the way or something, feel free. I just honestly couldn't find a place with reservation spots for a party of our size.

So hopefully that works for people. I figured surely you couldn't go wrong offering women chocolate, caramel, and ice cream, lol. Please give me your confirm on the # of people coming so I can update the reservation if necessary.

Thanks and see you there!! :)

Ok ladies, I hope what I have here is something you'll like! I suggest we meet at the McCormick & Schmicks restaurant for dessert, Friday evening at 9pm. Here's the link http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/cincinnati-ohio/EFifthSt.aspx

I *think* it may actually be located in the Hilton. The dessert menu I pulled up for the Columbus location (couldn't get Cincy's to work) looks pretty decadent and wonderful! And if you don't want dessert, just have tea or something, kwim? Ok, drink what you want. I'm just thinking it might be fun. Here's a link to the dessert menu for the Columbus location. http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/menus/0085-McCormick-Schmicks-Seafood-Columbus-OH/Dessert.pdf

I went ahead and made that reservation for 12 people. Now I need a head count to see where we're actually at. I can add more, no problem. I'd just like to know and get that done so we don't run into problems.

As far as safety, well since it's in the Hilton you're very safe. You can walk back to the Millenium as a group and be in view of the Hilton security guards the whole way, in plenty of light. (I did it last year walking back from the Millenium to the Hilton.) I picked 9 pm because I figured that gave people time to drop their stuff off at their hotel room after the vendor hall closes at 8:30. If you haven't eaten and need to grab chipotle on the way or something, feel free. I just honestly couldn't find a place for dinner with reservation spots for a party of our size.

So hopefully that works for people. I figured surely you couldn't go wrong offering women chocolate, caramel, and ice cream, lol. Please give me your confirm on the # of people coming so I can update the reservation if necessary.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I vote for Friday night. I will be coming by myself (a blessed relief to have some alone time for a couple days) and staying at the Millenium. Will I truly be able to walk via the sky walk system from the convention center to the hotel?

If we meet Friday night, will I be able to get safely back to the Millenium if we are out until, say, 10:30 - 11?

Safety downtown isnt the issue, now if the convention was in another neighborhood like Over the Rhine or Price Hill, id say NO WAY!

As far as safety, well since it's in the Hilton you're very safe. You can walk back to the Millenium as a group and be in view of the Hilton security guards the whole way, in plenty of light. (I did it last year walking back from the Millenium to the Hilton.) I picked 9 pm because I figured that gave people time to drop their stuff off at their hotel room after the vendor hall closes at 8:30. If you haven't eaten and need to grab chipotle on the way or something, feel free. I just honestly couldn't find a place with reservation spots for a party of our size.

Its not IN the hotel, its in front of the hotel. If you stand at Fountain Square, you can see it. You dont need to go in the hotel. Its on E 5th St.

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/Locations/cincinnati-ohio/EFifthSt/menus.aspx for Nati Menu ;)

Ill eat before and then meet you all for a drink/ice cream!

This is for Moms right? No hubbys/kids? 1 RSVP for me! Ill also need a buddy to walk back to my car with me please.

**** Does anyone want to meet me on Saturday to browse with me????****

If it's moms only, I can't make it. My mom is watching most of my kids, but I have a nursling I'm taking to the convention. :)

Oh mercy, I should have said this ages ago. Bring anyone you want! Nuts, I invited Andrew Kern, so clearly it's not moms only. :D We'd LOVE to see your baby! I'm bringing my dd (almost 13). If you bring a lot of extraneous people, we may not be able to get enough seats reserved. But one here or there, yeah we'll be fine. Just give me the counts and I'll see what I can get seated. :)

I haven't replied yet as to whether or not I can come to the meetup--we are going to the comedian Friday night, and that's scheduled from 8:30-9:30. So I doubt I'd be able to get there before 9:45-10 pm.

Sorry, I knew that was going to happen to some people. I just couldn't really swing it. I think that comedian session is going to run late. There wasn't really an option that would work for *everyone* kwim? Sorry.

I just posted on the other Cinncy thread. I unfortunately can't meet that late friday. It would get me home at 3 am:tongue_smilie: However, if there is another meet up that gets scheduled thursday evening or friday morning, I could swing it. I knew that it wouldn't work for everyone no matter what got worked out. Were people serious when they were saying members of the hive should wear some identifying item? I could do that :D I could at least see some of y'all live than.

Sorry, I knew that was going to happen to some people. I just couldn't really swing it. I think that comedian session is going to run late. There wasn't really an option that would work for *everyone* kwim? Sorry.

I know...it's ok. I waited to say anything, even offer a day/time that would work for me because we're going to something each evening, and I didn't know if any mornings would work, either.

I will try to put a bee pic of some sort on my rolling crate or make a bee pin or something. We sort of tried that last year, too, but in a sea of faces it might not be easy to notice a little bee. I really should practice my beehive hairdo. :D <---ETA: sometimes I do feel goofy enough to actually do that, although I'd have to find a beehive wig. I doubt I could manage an actual beehive with my own hair. But I will see other people at the convention who I know from around here, and they would have no idea why I would be wearing a beehive. :lol:

Edited by gardening momma

I will try to put a bee pic of some sort on my rolling crate or make a bee pin or something. We sort of tried that last year, too, but in a sea of faces it might not be easy to notice a little bee. I really should practice my beehive hairdo. :D <---ETA: sometimes I do feel goofy enough to actually do that, although I'd have to find a beehive wig. I doubt I could manage an actual beehive with my own hair. But I will see other people at the convention who I know from around here, and they would have no idea why I would be wearing a beehive. :lol:

:D This I would like to see! Lots and lots of hairspray would be required for it to work on my hair.

Elizabeth, I'm sure I'll see you around, but I don't think I'll be able to make it over the restaurant ... I'm going to be with my MIL and SIL and reliant upon rides with them :)

Bummer! Well hopefully we'll bump into each other! :)

PS. They're welcome to come...