Menu

Why would an 11yob have a blast at camp and come home a bear?

Dh and ds came home from father/son camp today. They had a fabulous time, as expected. They went with some friends of ours. Their son had a great time too.

We went to their house for pizza, then came home.

While we were there, the other boy got really cranky and mouthy with his parents. Now that we're home, my ds is irritable beyond belief. He is arguing mightily about taking a shower.

Personally, I think he's dehydrated because he drank a lot of sweet stuff instead of our customary water 95% of the day. And I think he's kind of like my friend's two year old was this afternoon. Just tuckered out and not knowing how to say so.

Any other experienced moms of boys care to weigh in?

Exhaustion: sleep deprived, dehydrated, and probably didn't eat healthy.

We've done many camps and it's TOTALLY normal. A good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast will transform your bear into darling DS again. :)

:iagree: My ds (10) did a fairly intense soccer camp last week and is totally wiped out and crabby. Food, rest, and quiet alone time will help recharge!

I have no idea, but hopefully someone can help you.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh my gosh!!!! laughtears.giflaughtears.giflaughtears.gif

You totally had me there for a minute. I was sitting here like :001_huh:, and then I remembered! Okay, now it's my turn!

1. A sandwich.

2. A shower.

3. A nap.

Try one, add another, and then another until something works.

Don't worry until none of them work.

Even then, don't worry; but then it's time to figure out what is going on. Not before!

BTW, he couldn't possibly have had a good night's sleep or a balanced meal all week. Just really, really unlikely. So there's a running deficit there for sure.

1. A sandwich.

2. A shower.

3. A nap.

Try one, add another, and then another until something works.

Don't worry until none of them work.

Even then, don't worry; but then it's time to figure out what is going on. Not before!

BTW, he couldn't possibly have had a good night's sleep or a balanced meal all week. Just really, really unlikely. So there's a running deficit there for sure.

I'm so glad that Jessie married Mr. Wise because that name certainly suits her! Excellent points. He's sleeping like a baby already. He was totally exhausted. And I agree about the sleeping and eating at camp. He told me about all the candy and "Sunny D" and desserts and shtuff that he ate. "And Dad didn't make me eat vegetables." :001_huh:

He's probably constipated. coffeebreak.gif

kind of like that "after-Christmas let-down" (I know I'm not the only one who gets that). Doing something that's extraordinarily fun and being off your routine is fun for awhile, and also very tiring, but when it's over, there's that "deflated" feeling when you have to go back to the mundane.

He's tired and doesn't know his body well enough to say so.

Rather than simply pack him off to bed, you could teach him to tune into what his body needs and is trying to tell him, so he will learn how to hear the signals. Help him learn to take care of himself, first by tuning in.

I don't know anyone who comes home from camp or a missions trip or travel and isn't tired, but especially boys at that age -- they play so HARD!

My 11 yo girl is the same way when she goes away for anything. I've threatened never to let her go if she insists on coming home actiing like the Wicked Witch of the West...

Maybe it's over stimulation or something, I don't know. Tired? Maybe it's that.

She insists that she was ready to come home every time and said she missed us, but....the ugly alien thing still comes out after she gets home.

Go figure.

Kim

When I was a child and would go to camp, I would come home in a bad mood because I really liked it there and did not want to go home. I remember my mom getting really mad at us and threatening to not let us go again the next year. The next year we went anyway. Until the year when my little sister got a really really mean camp counselor and we never ever went back. That was a girl scout camp in Iowa.

:iagree: My ds (10) did a fairly intense soccer camp last week and is totally wiped out and crabby. Food, rest, and quiet alone time will help recharge!

Those camps are wickedly brutal. DS returned late Friday from an intense 5 day soccer camp. He had three games today in the grueling heat (tournament) and 1-2 games tomorrow. He's supposed to have a training camp next week, but he needs the rest. DS loves the sport, but his growing body needs to recover. Quiet time really is valuable.

What type of camp did your DS attend? Does he do a travel/select soccer? Would like to compare and see if the intensity is regional or national now.

Dh and ds came home from father/son camp today. They had a fabulous time, as expected. They went with some friends of ours. Their son had a great time too.

We went to their house for pizza, then came home.

While we were there, the other boy got really cranky and mouthy with his parents. Now that we're home, my ds is irritable beyond belief. He is arguing mightily about taking a shower.

Personally, I think he's dehydrated because he drank a lot of sweet stuff instead of our customary water 95% of the day. And I think he's kind of like my friend's two year old was this afternoon. Just tuckered out and not knowing how to say so.

Any other experienced moms of boys care to weigh in?

I only have girls, but my oldest always comes home from camp in a horrible mood from lack of sleep. She is too busy socializing to sleep while she's there.

I used to do this. (Read the next paragraph with the eyes of a teenager.)

It was because camp was so wonderful, and, by contrast, home was so boring and oppressive. Being with my dear friends 24/7 was much better than being with my rotten brothers 24/7. Being with my way-cool counselor was much better than being with my mean ol' mother. Camp was so exciting, and I had nothing to do at home. At camp, I was admired because I could run fast and swim fast. At home, I had to clear the table. At camp, the comraderie was EVERYthing. Going home, I had to walk away from that.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's a normal part of growing up and growing away.

Believe me -- NOW I love my rotten brothers and mean ol' mother, and I can't even remember my counselors' names. Now I don't mind clearing the table every night. And now I can't run fast. :) But, at the time, it didn't seem that way. I guess I was a little depressed at returning to the real world.

DS has a great time with his friends, never wants to leave, could live there all week apparently, but once he's out of the mix and back at home he collapses. And having seen myself do the exact same thing (and DH too... poor DS got a double dose of the genes! LOL), my guess is that while we enjoy people, we find being sociable ultimately draining and need "alone time" to recharge.

Last fall I got stuck on a jury and DS was "farmed out" to various homeschooling friends for each of the days I had to serve, and after four days of that he spent a solid weekend alone in his room playing quietly with legos and only coming out to eat. Of course after four days in a jury room, I spent the weekend compulsively sorting and folding laundry and ironing things that didn't really need it... and only coming out to eat.

1. He is 11!!!!

2. He is 11!!

:lol:

OK, I am only speaking from the perspective of someone whose dd just turned 12 but the behavior sounds so very, eerily similar.

Practically speaking, it is likely the combination of it all, I bet he will be better this morning.

:grouphug:

My kids are like this when they come home from camp. It takes them a few days to rest back up, rehydrate fully, etc. We try not to schedule any activities for the first couple-three days after camp, which seems to help speed the "recovery."

Karen

I totally understand what you mean. I can really see that some of this was the case for ds. I personally went on THREE women's retreats between February and May, and I totally understand that it is hard to switch gears. It was/is always kind of a culture shock to go from the fun, spiritual, relaxed person I enjoy being and turn into the harried mom again.

Ds didn't have quite as much autonomy as you described because he was with his Dad the whole time, but still he pretty much got to do whatever fun, adventurous thing he wanted.

He's sort of quietly keeping to himself today. That totally gels with what you've all said. :iagree:

I used to do this. (Read the next paragraph with the eyes of a teenager.)

It was because camp was so wonderful, and, by contrast, home was so boring and oppressive. Being with my dear friends 24/7 was much better than being with my rotten brothers 24/7. Being with my way-cool counselor was much better than being with my mean ol' mother. Camp was so exciting, and I had nothing to do at home. At camp, I was admired because I could run fast and swim fast. At home, I had to clear the table. At camp, the comraderie was EVERYthing. Going home, I had to walk away from that.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's a normal part of growing up and growing away.

Believe me -- NOW I love my rotten brothers and mean ol' mother, and I can't even remember my counselors' names. Now I don't mind clearing the table every night. And now I can't run fast. :) But, at the time, it didn't seem that way. I guess I was a little depressed at returning to the real world.