Menu

The most academically rigorous complete curriculum?

Greta

All other considerations aside (price, level of parental involvement, teaching style, religious perspective, etc.) what do you think is the most academically rigorous complete/packaged/boxed curriculum available? I realize of course that we all have different opinions about what academic rigor really means, but I'm just wanting to get general impressions and opinions. It's mostly a point of personal curiosity, but I also want to make sure I've exhausted the list of possible curriculum choices for next year. :D

Thanks!

Oh, and just to clarify, I am only asking about those companies from which I can buy everything I need for an entire grade level. So TWTM, as wonderful as it is, does not qualify. I'm not looking for plans or directions on how to put together a great curriculum, but a great curriculum that someone else has already put together for me.

I would say, depending on grade level, Calvert School, Great Books/Angelicum Academy, or Kolbe Academy. My ideas of academic rigor tend toward the great books. :001_smile:

Mine do too! :)

Do you mind elaborating about which grade levels you feel each program does best?

Mine do too! :)

Do you mind elaborating about which grade levels you feel each program does best?

Well, Calvert only goes to 8th grade, so beyond that it is not an option. ;) I am using Angelicum's study guides for the great books portion of our schooling, so I guess that demonstrates my preference. Lol. Kolbe is really good too, but I hate the format of their manuals--it seems minor, but I think preferences like that really can make a difference in implementation.

Also, I am not a fan of Kolbe's junior high reading lists; the difficulty level is all over the map, and I want my dc to read challenging things that stretch them a bit: not way-too-easy stuff, not themes they cannot really grasp yet.

Memoria press I want to like, but the everlasting drill and kill--ack! :tongue_smilie: Besides, the workbooks are ugly.

If you call the MP office they may be able to put together something for you....the 7th grade stuff is being worked on NOW.:)

They have their 7th and 8th grade booklists posted on their forum and plan to have a Beta version of 7th grade available this summer, according to Tanya on their forum.

Oh, very cool. I will take a closer look, then. Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies so far, and keep them coming! :001_smile:

I remember marking K12 off my list early on for some reason, but now I don't remember why! I'll have to revisit that one. Is it computer-based? If so, I think I might have hesitated to sign up for a program that would have her sitting in front of the computer a lot. She already wants to do that with all of her free time! :D

I've not even heard of Plato before, so I'll definitely have to give that one a look as well.

I'm 95% in love with the idea of Calvert. My only hesitation is that since they only go through 8th grade, we'd only get to use it for two years. It might make more sense to chose something that could take us through 12th. OTOH, my daughter may end up going to a charter school or a private school in 9th, so that point might end up not mattering anyway. And I think that Calvert might be a good preparation for whatever we decide for high school.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions! I was curious to see if Calvert would end up on the list, and what else would be there that I hadn't considered. Plus, I just thought it would be interesting to see what the reputation of the various curricula is on these boards. Thanks!

Calvert School is pretty rigorous. It starts out slowish, but ends higher. The guy who does our reviews told us it's 1 1/2 years ahead of the public schools here by the middle school grades.

Is there still an option to opt out of their math, but use the rest of their curriculum?

Also, what is their refund policy if we decide a few months in that we do not care to continue?

I love the look of it and have heard great reviews (we have the private and public option here in SC), but I hesitate to start their program (it isn't cheap if we go private and I've noticed a difference in curriculum between private and public) if we can't leave without losing the money completely.

Is there still an option to opt out of their math, but use the rest of their curriculum?

Also, what is their refund policy if we decide a few months in that we do not care to continue?

I love the look of it and have heard great reviews (we have the private and public option here in SC), but I hesitate to start their program (it isn't cheap if we go private and I've noticed a difference in curriculum between private and public) if we can't leave without losing the money completely.

Yes, you can opt out of math. It's the only subject they'll piece out. I have no idea what their return policy is. We've never had to return anything. I'd guess once you've used it for a while you are stuck. It's probably on their website or you can call. They are really nice to talk to. (We've never used the ATS, BTW).

All other considerations aside (price, level of parental involvement, teaching style, religious perspective, etc.) what do you think is the most academically rigorous complete/packaged/boxed curriculum available? I realize of course that we all have different opinions about what academic rigor really means, but I'm just wanting to get general impressions and opinions. It's mostly a point of personal curiosity, but I also want to make sure I've exhausted the list of possible curriculum choices for next year. :D

Thanks!

Oh, and just to clarify, I am only asking about those companies from which I can buy everything I need for an entire grade level. So TWTM, as wonderful as it is, does not qualify. I'm not looking for plans or directions on how to put together a great curriculum, but a great curriculum that someone else has already put together for me.

I know you've ruled it out, but I'd look again at TWTM. I think it does have most things already put together for you. It doesn't tell you what to ask or what to think about what you read, but it does give you guidance on how to use the described method with a variety of books. There are even helpful booklists on Amazon for WTM by grade level, so you could find most or all of the books there.

If not Amazon, then CBD or Rainbow Resource could probably still single source your materials.

Not to be contrary, but I guess I am anyway. Open the book, pick the top rated program for each subject for 6th grade. Buy a stack of 1' binders and dividers. Type up the directions in each subject for how to handle the topic (use the schedules for guidance). And go to town.

I had to smile after the monster classical/CIRCE thread recently. It prompted me to pull out WTM again and look at the booklists for history and lit. And you know what, it had tons of those rich, well crafted books that I'd been regretting missing.

I strongly 2nd Calvert. I can't comment on the other (religion-based) programs, since I use primarily secular materials.

My ds used Calvert for grade 7, and it was a huge success. The manual is made up of daily lessons (not weekly), so you can schedule your school year however you would like. Not every subject is covered every day (ie: art, technology), but that is all pre-planned for you. Each lesson tells the student which subject will be covered and which books are needed for that day.

I was very pleased with the literature selections. We did them as read-alouds together, leading to wonderful discussions. The amount of map work for geography and comparison charts, etc. for history were just right. The discussion questions were very useful, and could be written out or done orally. We also used all 3 years of their art history courses, whether we used Calvert's complete program or not, just because we loved it.

I think buying a complete Calvert curriculum in the lower grades is a bit of overkill. It is not that hard to pull together a 1st or 2nd grade curriculum for much less money, and one that is tailored to your child's level in each subject, since that varies so much in the early years. However, beginning in grade 4 or 5, it is a wonderful program if you are looked for "boxed".

Calvert's new refund policy is excellent. If you have never bought from them before, you can use it for, IIRC, something like 6 weeks and Return for a full refund even if it's written in and used. Check their website.

I like Calvert a lot. We probably would have stuck with them if their prices weren't sky high and climbing every year.

I don't use a complete curriculum, but I have to say that the ones that came to mind were the ones mentioned by others- Calvert for secular, Angelicum and Kolbe for Catholic, and Veritas Press for Protestant.

And Great Books Academy for secular (essentially identical to Angelicum). I wish I'd known about Great Books Academy earlier as a secular option; and they publish guides for preschool(3), which they call "nursery", right up through 12.

I do think TWTM's focus on history cycles in grades 1-4 limits some of the literature reading; we wouldn't have time to read the good stories we do if we were doing the fictional history reading suggested, or even reading SOTW out loud. As it is, our TWTM history is audiobook of SOTW in the car, and comprehension questions & mapwork from the activity guide. But there are many who manage to fit all the reading in ... at any rate, I think I'll be looking to the Great Books Academy for Bot-bot when he turns 3.

I know you've ruled it out, but I'd look again at TWTM.

I do think that TWTM is a *wonderful* program. And I still have my copy of one of the editions on my shelf, so who knows, I may pull it out and get re-motivated. But this year, we used a program for history, literature, and faith (Ages of Grace) that was planned out by the week. This is the first time I've ever used a program where someone else did the planning, and I realized that I love it! In fact, I loved it so much, that I was thinking it would be fantastic to buy a program that was planned out by the day. When I do my own planning, I do way too much tweaking. It's like I'm always trying to perfect it or something. But when someone else does the planning, I seem to be able to relax and not worry about it and just follow the plan. I think that consistency is better for my daughter than always changing things around.

My ds used Calvert for grade 7, and it was a huge success. The manual is made up of daily lessons (not weekly), so you can schedule your school year however you would like. Not every subject is covered every day (ie: art, technology), but that is all pre-planned for you. Each lesson tells the student which subject will be covered and which books are needed for that day.

See, that's what I'm talking about. That sounds wonderful!

I was very pleased with the literature selections.

I had wondered about this, so I appreciate you mentioning it. Ages of Grace is CM and "living book" based so I wonder if she's going to be disappointed switching to a textbook program after that. But if the literature is good, I think we'll be good to go.

We've used Calvert and K12 in the past. I (and the children) prefer K12 to Calvert. But it's pricier.

Would you mind elaborating? I'd love to hear what you like and don't like about each if you have time to share.

I like Calvert a lot. We probably would have stuck with them if their prices weren't sky high and climbing every year.

Calvert caught my eye back when dd was in K. But my husband thought that was a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a curriculum. This year, though, we applied to a private school, and the tuition was so through-the-roof that it made him think that Calvert was a bargain! :lol: So that's why it's on the table for next year. (She did not get accepted into the private school - they only had one opening for 7th next year and 30 applicants. Part of me was relieved, because I'm still not ready to send my "baby" off to school!)

And Great Books Academy for secular (essentially identical to Angelicum). I wish I'd known about Great Books Academy earlier as a secular option; and they publish guides for preschool(3), which they call "nursery", right up through 12.

... at any rate, I think I'll be looking to the Great Books Academy for Bot-bot when he turns 3.

Do you (or does anyone else) know how much planning is done for you with Great Books Academy? Is it just "here's the stuff now hop to it" or do they have a master plan where things are scheduled out for you? I couldn't find any samples of a lesson plan manual on their site, so I'm not sure if I missed it or if they don't provide it.

Okay, I have another question about GBA. Do you know anything about their science courses? The seventh grade science just says "general science text". It doesn't say the name of the text they're using or the publisher or anything.

Do you (or does anyone else) know how much planning is done for you with Great Books Academy? Is it just "here's the stuff now hop to it" or do they have a master plan where things are scheduled out for you? I couldn't find any samples of a lesson plan manual on their site, so I'm not sure if I missed it or if they don't provide it.

I have one lesson plan for Angelicum and I assume Great Books would be the same. This is a history plan. It is divided into weeks and then lists a topic to be covered, instructions on which pages in the textbook to read or questions to answer. There are no additional things. It is straight read textbook and answer questions. If you wanted a more living books, writing, project-based course none of that is there (and you still have to divide up the weeks). Based on this lesson plan and one of their literature guides, which I admit is not a lot to go on, I don't think it is all that rigorous, well guided or well produced.

I have one lesson plan for Angelicum and I assume Great Books would be the same. This is a history plan. It is divided into weeks and then lists a topic to be covered, instructions on which pages in the textbook to read or questions to answer. There are no additional things. It is straight read textbook and answer questions. If you wanted a more living books, writing, project-based course none of that is there (and you still have to divide up the weeks). Based on this lesson plan and one of their literature guides, which I admit is not a lot to go on, I don't think it is all that rigorous, well guided or well produced.

Thank you very much for this honest assessment.

So are Angelicum and Great Books affiliated in some way?

Thank you very much for this honest assessment.

So are Angelicum and Great Books affiliated in some way?

They are sister programs. Basically they offer exactly the same books/plans/etc. except that they leave religion out of the Great Books version.

They mention this here:

http://angelicum.net/curriculum/enrollment/how-much-does-angelicum-k-12-cost/

I will try to elaborate later tonight, but I want to quickly mention that I think Calvert is very strong in grades, say, 6-8 but not so much in the early years. We found it dry, dry, dry. K12 was so much more engaging. I like K12 for 6-8 as well as for the early years, but not for high school. It would be very easy to purchase your own Math and piece together Language arts, mixing and matching grade levels of K12 for the content areas. You can purchase the courses up front with a discount (usually bigger this time of year), or you can pay $30 a month per course.

I will add more information later this evening.

I will try to elaborate later tonight, but I want to quickly mention that I think Calvert is very strong in grades, say, 6-8 but not so much in the early years. We found it dry, dry, dry. K12 was so much more engaging. I like K12 for 6-8 as well as for the early years, but not for high school. It would be very easy to purchase your own Math and piece together Language arts, mixing and matching grade levels of K12 for the content areas. You can purchase the courses up front with a discount (usually bigger this time of year), or you can pay $30 a month per course.

I will add more information later this evening.

Barb, thank you for this! If and when you have time to elaborate, I look forward to reading it. But this is helpful. My primary hesitation about Calvert is getting in on it so late (7th). But if you feel that they are strongest at 6th-8th, then that reassures me that it would be worthwhile.

I know that I haven't responded to every post, and I apologize for that. But I have taken note of every single curriculum suggested, and I'm looking into all of them. Thank you all so much for the help!

TOG is one that I'd heard of before, but not paid much attention to. I am going to look at it more closely.

Thanks again!