Menu

20 car lots later, craigslist, autotrader...you name it. No luck.

I'd like some valium please. Well, any sedation will do just so long as it's strong!

I have some observations.

1. WHO IS BUYING ALL OF THESE NEW CARS??? Seriously, we went one county over to an area that contains two small cities...nothing major here. Every single one of the dealerships had millions of dollars of inventory. I cannot possibly imagine with the unemployment rate in Michigan higher than just about anywhere else and wages that have stagnated since well before 2007, that there are buyers for all of these vehicles. It's mind boggling.

2. Who is buying all of these cars and then after taking the HUGE hit in instant depreciation when they drive them off the lot, trading them in two years later???? There were 2009 and 2010's EVERYWHERE.

3. Who's designing the American models? I'm convinced that there are maybe three dudes shared amongst the three companies and they create ALL of the cars because....THEY ALL LOOK ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

4. They should pay my kids to create door handles from legos...at least they'd have some durability! :lol: I have never in my life seen so many truly substandard door handles and mirrors....I told one dealer that new car owners should be warned to bring duct tape with them when they come to pick up their new vehicle because they can't go more than a mile without something falling off. He did not appear to be amused. But, truly, the quality of these types of parts was very, very poor and when the price tag is higher than some houses in my area, I expect a door handle that will outlast the first road trip.

5. All of the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey owners are selfishly hogging their nice mini-vans and refusing to trade up in a timely manner so that I can have their well loved and petted van for myself and I want these people to know that I am not happy about their extreme narcissisim!:D

6. We met a nice guy, a really, really nice used car lot owner that was hones, knew his product, and wasn't looking to pull a fast one and he didn't have one thing on his lot that met our specifications and so I'm very, very, very sad becase I would have liked to buy my vehicle from him. :sad: We did tell him that when dd has worked for her employer for one year (October) she will be in the market for X car with approximately X miles on it and that we'd really like her to buy from him if he thought he could come up with a car inside those parameters. I would be very comfortable if she bought from him and I'd like to send some business his way.

7. You know you are desperate when you are about to leave the Honda dealership and notice a car carrier pulling into the "pre-owned" car lot with some older Honda Odysseys and you get out of your extraordinarily beat 1997 Ford Taurus with nearly 200,000 miles that hasn't looked nice in a very, very long time (with the rocket team's field box in the back seat, some M&M wrappers from their last fly - a treat from the 4-H office that they forgot to discard - AND MY BARN BOOTS ON THE FLOOR, and STALK the driver trying to get a look at his load at 9:00 p.m. and well after dark so that he begins to get rather nervous - you figure that you'll leave only if the police get involved! :biggrinjester:

I may have scared off the only salesperson who might have had a vehicle I would buy. But here's the deal, she started in on the hard sale and I cut her off right away. This dealership is two hrs. and 20 minutes ONE WAY from here. I'm going to end up wasting a day and a lot of gas money to go test drive this van and under these circumstances, I am in no mood to be trifled with. So, I told her that it would be a loss of at least six hours of my life to come look at it/test drive, that the vehicle was priced $1000.00 higher than it's NADA score and $2000.00 above it's Kelly BB so unless the price was negotiable by at least $1000.00 and yes my financing is already arranged, I am not going to come look at it. In addition, I told her I needed to speak to the most respected mechanic they had in the service department...whatever person had a reputation so impeccable for quality work and honest assessments, that he/she would be very hesitant to gloss over problems due to loss of that reputation and that in particular, I wanted to talk about the transmission.

I was nice about it. Just firm. She told me (this was around 4:00 p.m.) that she would call me back as soon as she found said person and that they were open until 8 p.m. She never called back. Either she's terrified of me, she couldn't find a mechanic of such reputation, or the word transmission struck fear into the heart of said person. I suspect it may have been the clue that I wasn't going to accept a worn out transmission because her words were, "Well, anything American made and over 100,000 miles is out." Not entirely true, however our experience with American made mini-vans has not been good. For cars, Saturns have always driven 200,000 miles for dh before the transmissions start to go and that's on the automatics. He gets another 25,000 by driving manual speeds and they run a very long time after they start burning oil...but these are the non-sporty 4 dr. sedans and not anything big enough to house three teenage boys. We've been told the larger stuff does not perform so well.

At any rate, I don't think I'll hear from her. Oh well, it's $30.00 gas round trip and the time involved to go see it and frankly, there is no point if they already know the transmission is slipping or shifting hard or they changed the transmission fluids and found something that made them go :001_huh:. I am the wiser now after the Honda CRV issue which in retrospect when the guy had very little gas in it and didn't want to put more in it so we could take it on the freeway for several miles and push it to see how it accelerated, we should have known there was a chance that only shifting between first and third for all of the piddly stop-start driving nearby could be masking a problem slipping into overdrive.

If I can't take it on I-75, I-94, I-96 or whatever freeway is handy and drive it 70 mph for a few miles to see what happens during hard acceleration, then I don't need to come test drive it.

Sigh....the clock is ticking...no vehicle.

Dh did not help my state of mind. After we left the nice man's lot, he commented, "I thought you might hug him and thank him for not being slimey!" :glare: Dh may sleep on the couch tonight and I will sprawl out on the bed with the cocker spaniel who is at least comforting. :D

Faith

2. Who is buying all of these cars and then after taking the HUGE hit in instant depreciation when they drive them off the lot, trading them in two years later???? There were 2009 and 2010's EVERYWHERE.

Are those 2009 & 2010's used or new? Could they be 2009 & 10's that never sold when they were the new model, so they're still new, just a couple of years old?

5. All of the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey owners are selfishly hogging their nice mini-vans and refusing to trade up in a timely manner so that I can have their well loved and petted van for myself and I want these people to know that I am not happy about their extreme narcissisim!:D

Sorry, we're hogging our '07 Odyssey, although I would like to switch to a hybrid car of some sort. The problem is the amount we still owe on our Odyssey, and that I want to be able to tow a small trailer if I let go of my van. It doesn't look like a hybrid can tow anything (someone let me know if you know otherwise!). At least the Prius says towing is not recommended. I didn't look too deeply into other hybrids after that.

Naw :grouphug: poor you.

Our car is falling into pieces...literally :lol: I can give you the run down to make you feel better?

- Something to do with the transmission (I kind of zoned out when DH was talking :lol: )

- Hole in the Radiator, so it leaks, DH has taken to filling with just water before each and every trip, and unfortunately the radiator is not made of something easily fixable, and we have to basically remove the whole innards of the car to get to it

- Air-con hasn't worked for about 3 years (and we are in Australia lol)

- The drivers side window is missing

- You can hear our car coming from a mile away, it sounds like its taking off into outer space

- Theres various clunks/groans etc

- DH lost the keys, so he uses a screwdriver to start it :lol::lol:

The theme song for our car is Adam Sandlers "Piece of s*** car" :lol:

Oh and anytime you fix one thing on it, 3 more things go wrong, and the original thing you fixed breaks again :tongue_smilie:

We really, really, have to get a new, used car, but 1. We don't have the funds right now and 2. I'm having a little wobbily, as I made DH promise this would be the last car we would get for a long time (we have had a lot of cars over the past few years, due to more babies coming, change in jobs etc).

Besides I love the old stupid thing, its interior is nice and soft, and all the seats fold down to make a double bed for camping. I don't want to get rid of it, but we're probably looking at $5,000 or more for repairs. :( Sad Panda

Next time I go to buy a used car, will you come with me? Pretty Please? I'll fly you to TX. and everything! Going car shopping w/ you would be more fun than a trip to Disneyworld! And :grouphug: I'm sorry you didn't find anything. You know, if you find something through Carmax, anywhere, they will ship it to the local Carmax dealer for you. Just a thought.

Have you considered buying from a police or federal auction? That's how we've always bought our cars, and as long as you take a good mechanic with you to look under the hood before buying you rarely have problems. MUCH cheaper too - we normally paid less than $1500 for a car, but it was an older model.

Have you considered buying from a police or federal auction? That's how we've always bought our cars, and as long as you take a good mechanic with you to look under the hood before buying you rarely have problems. MUCH cheaper too - we normally paid less than $1500 for a car, but it was an older model.

We don't have an auction like that going on any time soon and we've got to have a vehicle by April 12th.

At this point, SIGH, we will probably have to drive a rather long distance into the burbs of Detroit which means DH taking a couple of days off from work that he doesn't have coming at the present time since he's approved for vacation in May when we take the rocket team to Virginia AND raising the amount we are willing to pay.

Faith

3. Who's designing the American models? I'm convinced that there are maybe three dudes shared amongst the three companies and they create ALL of the cars because....THEY ALL LOOK ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I've been told there are about 50 actually -- this from a guy who is in training to become number 51.

A lot of those 2 year old used cars are likely returns from leases. Lots of people lease. Even more cars are leased out to company fleets and car rental agencies.

Edited by flyingiguana

We don't have an auction like that going on any time soon and we've got to have a vehicle by April 12th.

At this point, SIGH, we will probably have to drive a rather long distance into the burbs of Detroit which means DH taking a couple of days off from work that he doesn't have coming at the present time since he's approved for vacation in May when we take the rocket team to Virginia AND raising the amount we are willing to pay.

Faith

Two possibilities:

1. Have you tried http://www.swapalease.com?

2. DH works with a judge who has "a guy." ;) Basically, the judge has bought his last several cars from a private dealer who goes to the auto auctions (in FL and GA). You tell him what you want (year(s), color, make, model, features), and if it is being auctioned, he calls you to tell you the details and set a price. If you want it, he buys it on your behalf and you make arrangements for payment and delivery.

When we get done with my 2003 Sienna, we'll be doing one of those things to find a newer car.

If you'd like the private dealer's contact information, let me know.

Lisa

I bet those 2009s and 2010s are coming in off leases. This is good news for me because we'll be in the market for a 2010 sometime this year! (Finally getting rid of our 2000 Venture. Not because it's not still running, but because we've been saving for a new car for years and we don't want that money sitting in our account for the year we have to fill out the FAFSA forms! Yikes!)

anyway, your posts are not giving me much hope here!

TN really wouldn't be too far to drive down to get if you are desperate and really want that car.

:grouphug: for your frustrations!

Oh, of only you were closer! We have an '07 Odyssey that I'm anxious to trade in for a sedan.

That was my first thought as well. Leases are typically 2 years.

OP, there is a reason people hang on to their Hondas and Toyotas. ;)

We have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia and it runs like the day we bought it, seriously.

We have NO intention of getting rid of it. It holds all of us and our stuff when we go on vacation and is reliable (other than the one time the battery died in the Disney parking lot and we found out at 9pm!, but that was kind of our fault as Dh knew the battery needed replacing! :glare:)

Dawn

I bet those 2009s and 2010s are coming in off leases. This is good news for me because we'll be in the market for a 2010 sometime this year! (Finally getting rid of our 2000 Venture. Not because it's not still running, but because we've been saving for a new car for years and we don't want that money sitting in our account for the year we have to fill out the FAFSA forms! Yikes!)

anyway, your posts are not giving me much hope here!

I think you should thank Cash for Clunkers.

A lot of people ditched a lot of perfectly fine cars, that they just destroyed.

The used market is likely overpriced and depleted due to this very reason. I think it might have to do with how many '09-'10 cars are around as well.

I've been told there are about 50 actually -- this from a guy who is in training to become number 51.

Moreover, I believe almost all American car designers come from the same university. (I took a drawing class from someone who designed boats- designing cars was his original career plan.) So yeah, no wonder they look the same.

If you're looking at Honda and Toyota minivans also take a look at post 2007 Kia Sedonas. Comparable quality but cheaper, even on the used market.

:iagree: We are loving our 2008 Sedona and my dh is VERY much like you when it comes to wheeling/dealing/purchasing a vehicle.:D

I think the uncertainty of the economy is causing people to hold onto their older models also. We usually trade when we start feeling the transmission doing funny things. Just yesterday, we decided we would just replace it if necessary....it is a 2006 Odyssey.

I agree with others that if you can find someone to buy one at auction for you......butast time I spoke to my guy about this he said that people were paying too much above book value for Toyo and Bonds vans, in his opinion.

Edited by besroma

This is why I bought new in September. There wasn't enough of a price difference between new and used to justify buying used, especially as the used we found had all sorts of options I did not want. It was actually cheaper both times I have bought cars in the last 8 years to buy the lean new model (the only option I want is leather) than a more tricked-out lightly used version of the exact same car.

I did not, however, come across the loads of dishonest sales people that you have. By and large, new and used, the people with whom I worked were just fine. Sure they wanted to sell me a car, but I wanted to buy a car, so I was happy about that.

Terri

Check out Edmunds for a more reliable information/price gauge for your area.

The perfect one WILL come available... It just takes patience usually. We wound up with DH's 2007 Honda Civic after scaring off a dealership. They wouldn't work with us at all after we were a little, um, hard-nosed. But, the dealership down the road was happy to sell. :)

Ugh, stories like yours are why I would rather take a beating than shop for a car. Truly.

We have 3 old cars - I would LOVE to replace them - but the thought of having to sell them, and having to buy new ones, is just too much. So we will keep paying repair bills until they fall apart and we have no choice...

My husband has been looking for a new car for 2 months. He never left his office. He went to the manufacturer's website and checked out the listings every day, within a 100 mile distance from our zip code.

He had his heart set on a specific make and model of a certified used car. He found several, but I was trying to talk him into test driving a Honda, so I didn't agree with the purchase. Finally, a 2009 model came up that was certified and had only 18,300 miles on it, and he made the purchase.

Meanwhile, since I was not interested in buying a car from an American manufacturer (his turned out to be made in Mexico, btw), I looked up certified, pre-owned Hondas on this website:

http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/

Again, I found plenty that fit my criteria, which was specific to model, year range, and mileage.

Edited by RoughCollie

My husband has been looking for a new car for 2 months. He never left his office. He went to the manufacturer's website and checked out the listings every day, within a 100 mile distance from our zip code.

He had his heart set on a specific make and model of a certified used car. He found several, but I was trying to talk him into test driving a Honda, so I didn't agree with the purchase. Finally, a 2009 model came up that was certified and had only 18,300 miles on it, and he made the purchase.

Meanwhile, since I was not interested in buying a car from an American manufacturer (his turned out to be made in Mexico, btw), I looked up certified, pre-owned Hondas on this website:

http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/

Again, I found plenty that fit my criteria, which was specific to model, year range, and mileage.

Thanks roughcollie! I already checked out this website. I'm in Michigan so me thinks you've got a better used car market in your area. This website only came up with three vehicles within a 100 mile radius. But, I'll call and see what's up with those three.

I wonder if there is some program out there where one of us could volunteer for some sort of heinous medical research program and then we'll be given a vehicle if we survive? I think it would be easier! :lol:

Faith