Menu

Why is A Beka so disliked?

TwoToSchool

I had a friend recommend using A Beka history and science for my kids next year. I've never looked into A Beka because I've never heard anything positive....never! Upon closer review on their site...everything looks ok! Their history is organized in a way that my kids could still work independently and with reviews and tests...I can monitor their progress. Is there something I'm missing? Are their materials subpar, not user friendly ect? Thanks!

I had a friend recommend using A Beka history and science for my kids next year. I've never looked into A Beka because I've never heard anything positive....never! Upon closer review on their site...everything looks ok! Their history is organized in a way that my kids could still work independently and with reviews and tests...I can monitor their progress. Is there something I'm missing? Are their materials subpar, not user friendly ect? Thanks!

I can't say for certain, but I think the disdain comes from the fact that Abeka has a young earth/creation perspective in science. Also, many people have a beef with how "pro-christian and pro-America" the history is.

I have used Abeka off and on and will continue to do so when I feel like it.:001_smile:

I loved their grammar. We went with R&S, which has its own chorus of dislike.

You have to find what works for you.

I like BJU history too. :)

I am on MOH this time around, and we will switch to Abeka or BJU for highschool history.

Remember, it is not new, it is not trendy, and it does not currently have the fame and spotlight. This doesn't mean that it has no value or quality. It is very textbookish, but I like the freedom that comes from using them in highschool. We get to add an entire list of reading to the coursework.

• 4 months later...

I can tell you that I LOVE a beka. It is easy to use and easy to follow. The only things I don't like is a beka grammar & math. Easy Grammar is much easier to use for my children, and less confusing. I still use the a beka spelling & literature. I use Saxon math because, again, it is easier for the children to understand. I suppose if I didn't have Saxon & Easy Grammar than I would probably use a beka. As a homeschooler, it is great to be able to combine and use our favorites!

I've only ever looked at the history and health books. I bought a lot really cheap at my local HS bookstore. Once I started reading the history books, I quickly got rid of them. That's just not a worldview that I want to teach my children. They're full of American exceptionalism and really attempt to indoctrinate children in a way I wasn't comfortable with. I want less commentary and more facts.

I'm using their second grade health book this year. I've done the units on posture and nutrition. So far, it's just weird. It talks over and over about how milk is God's perfect food and you should drink four cups a day. They came up with their own food groups like citrus fruits, milk, etc., instead of outlining the groups that you'd see in everyday life. I just don't get it.

I *think* I have heard there might be some anti-Catholic sentiments in it which obviously Catholics aren't a fan of.

And, I agree, I have heard of others who were annoyed at how patriotic A Beka history is. *Shrug* I don't see why that's bothersome unless they go so far they are twisting history, which I doubt. :001_huh:

I love their health, Science, grammar and grades 1-3 math.

The history is very America-focused, ratter opinionated, and sometimes kind of backward, IMO (and I am a right Wing voter and evangelical Christian.)

But more than that, is that I love history. We love learning about the the whole world, looking things up together on a map, and reading literature that goes with our studies. It makes history alive.

FWIW I enjoy reading abeka's history books. They flow nicely. But they aren't as good, to me, as SOTW...by a long shot.

Well, in my circle of friends, we LIKE curriculum that's young earth/Creation focused in science, pro-Christian and pro-America. So those are positives for us. :001_smile:

We've used some A Beka here and there over the years and like it fine, generally speaking. The two main reasons we don't use more of it are cost and theology. We disagree with their theology/doctrinal position on several issues, as well as their anti-Puritan slant, which appears throughout all their history books (especially in the upper grades). We find BJU to be more palatable in this area.

I also wouldn't use a textbook for history without adding plenty of real books and other resources. IMO, history is too important to just read one person or publisher's viewpoint of so many people and events over time. ;)

Here is one family's experience with textbooks, and they use a lot of A Beka: http://www.titus2.com/corners/moms-corner/a-voice-for-traditional-christian-textbooks.html

FWIW I enjoy reading abeka's history books. They flow nicely. But they aren't as good, to me, as SOTW...by a long shot.

:iagree:

I came into homeschooling planning on using all Abeka. I do not have the problems that others have with their history. I think they are pretty solid across the board, at least in elementary school. What it boils down to for me is that I have found other things that I like SO much better! For example, my son learned to read using Abeka. Great program! But, then I looked at the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and it essentially taught reading the same way, but with a lot less busywork (none) and in a lot less time. So, my dd is using OPGTR rather than Abeka.

We've used several Abeka pieces over the years, but never the whole package. I remembered the name from when I was a kid; they were one of the whopping three companies who'd sell to homeschoolers at the time.

Their history is white-washed. White Christian men are the heroes, over, and over, and over again. The way Columbus is written about makes you wonder if they actually read the man's ship logs. :confused:

The grammar/language had good instruction, but the amount of writing and busywork was too much for my DS.

The science was okay. We only used some of their grammar stage level books. If you don't believe in a literal 6 day creation they would drive you bonkers though.

The math has totally flopped for us at times, and yet succeeded at others. One kid loved the broad range of topics, but because of the tight spiral she didn't have confidence in any of those topics. When we realized she couldn't perform the same concepts away from that book we pulled her out. Same kid grabbed an old book out of the closet a few years later and did fabulous with it. *shrug* Yet, asking my DS who struggled with math in grammar stage to do one of those math books was like putting him in front of a brick wall and telling him to run.

Ellie once posted about the high rate of homeschoolers who use all Abeka giving up and enrolling their kids in a school. Looking back at the families I know who've used it, I agree with her. They're overwhelmed trying to get it all done. I can't think of one that didn't eventually enroll their kids, especially at the junior high level.

Edited by SilverMoon

The biggest problems happen when people use ABeka for every.single.thing, especially if they enroll their dc in ABeka Academy. Major burn-out.

If people use, say, BJUP for all subjects, and it turns out to be an epic fail, they'll say, "What was I thinking? Next year I'll do [insert any other product here]." If people use ABeka for everything (especially if they enroll their dc in the Academy) and it's an epic fail, they'll say, "WHAT WAS I THINKING? THOSE KIDS ARE GOING BACK TO SCHOOL!!!" Sometimes they even wait until Christmas to quit.

Ok, Christmas might be a slight exaggeration, but still...:D It has been this way almost as long as I've been hsing, and I started in 1982. I never, ever recomend ABeka for newbie homeschoolers because of the burn-out rate among users. Yes, I know some people are happy ABeka users, but I'm not going to take a chance on it.

I had tried 3 other Language Arts curriculum with one of my daughters and found that Abeka was the only one that worked! (the others are well known, and also heavy on phonics, but in a different way). I don't think there's any perfect curriculum, but I also understand their history is all from an American perspective. I will only use them for Language Arts, and want instead to have a classical approach to history. I will never use an all in one curriculum again.

I'm 34 years old, and I myself used aBeka from k-5th grade, and did very well, transitioned well into public school--with the exception of a wasted 6th grade year because nothing new was taught. When I became a 1st grade teacher in a Christian school, they used a lot of aBeka, and I thought, hey, this is the exact same books I used! Truly, didn't look like any updates! As a homeschooling mom, I use the phonics (letters & sounds and Language books as well as handbook for reading) with my K and 2nd grader, but chose not to use the other books simply because of my philosophy of homeschool--I don't want to recreate a classroom in my home that looks just like the Christian school down the road. I do more Charlotte Mason style, with lots of literature and "living books", steering away from textbooks.

There is a book outlining how a person with a large-ish family can use textbooks (mostly Abeka) and not burn out, by using them in a mostly independent way. It's called Managers of their Schools.

Just thought I would mention that.

She doesn't use most of the TM's, she doesn't "teach" her kids at a white board or chalk board, she doesn't use ABeka for every.single.subject, she schedules their time generously to finish and take quizzes on their own, and do their own written chapter reviews, she makes her own schedules rather than using Abeka's (And these are included in the book.)...she takes the books and uses them as tools for an independent style of learning very very different from a traditional classroom.

I grew up on Abeka and I really like their early stuff. Especially phonics. What I do not like is how the Bible is separate from History. I think it is easier to understand when it is taught together, so MOH fit us better in that regard. I don't have a problem with their history texts but I do think they teach way too much American History. I think I counted up 7 years? or something like that. I just want my children to have a broader perspective especially since part of their heritage is British/Estonian.

I also find it very teacher intense, but to me that is what comes of trying to make a classroom curriculum try to fit into a home setting. I find the same with BJU even though there are elements of that, that I also like.

When I first started home schooling my brother in law, I was all but 23 years old, and really had no idea what I was doing. BIL needed to learn English, but was already 13 years old. Abeka worked great for us. He learned English and the curriculum was easy for me to use. I eventually got more confidence and became bold enough to branch out.

Danielle

I loved their grammar...

Remember, it is not new, it is not trendy, and it does not currently have the fame and spotlight. This doesn't mean that it has no value or quality. It is very textbookish, but I like the freedom that comes from using them in highschool. We get to add an entire list of reading to the coursework.

Agreed! The grammar did the job for my son, who just didn't get the spiral-y thing of Sonlight. I love Abeka for that. Just the facts, the whole facts, and nothing but the facts. Some people do better with that.

I looked at it a couple times, skimming through several grade levels and subjects. My main thought was:

Boring!

I know it works well for many folks, and probably covers everything really well, but it was just dull to me in every possible way.

The biggest problems happen when people use ABeka for every.single.thing...

:iagree: ABeka's math and grammar is drill, and kids get overwhelmed. When I was a new homeschooler 16 years ago, I briefly tried ABeka and found that the stress just wasn't worth it. Why does a kindergartener need to mark vowels???

As one reviewer put it: ABeka is great if your goal is to impress the neighbors or the grandparents. Some people think ABeka is "advanced", but the more accurate term is "rushed". It isn't fun for anybody, and it's going to make your kid hate school.

Personally, I think ABeka is fine for a subject or two--the grammar is good if your kid is okay with drill, and I do hear good things about the science. The history is criticized because it tends to be quite critical of Catholicism and because it takes the slant that America is God's chosen nation.

Edited by ereks mom

History and Reading are all white-washed and the History is based upon a belief that not all hold to (America, the New Promised Land type of stuff).

Phonics, Arithmetic, Handwriting, Spelling, Grammar...all excellent.

In regards to the New Promised Land, can you share which year/text this is in? I am assuming you are referencing a "new Israel" perspective that people talk about occasionally here? I am just curious because while I see their history as saying God has a plan and His hand over the history of America, and being very patriotic, I never heard the idea that America was considered a new Israel in their texts. That being said, I didn't do their older grades when I was in school. I always feel like I am missing something when people reference that topic with Abeka, and I would really like to read that particular text myself.

In regards to the New Promised Land, can you share which year/text this is in? I am assuming you are referencing a "new Israel" perspective that people talk about occasionally here? I am just curious because while I see their history as saying God has a plan and His hand over the history of America, and being very patriotic, I never heard the idea that America was considered a new Israel in their texts. That being said, I didn't do their older grades when I was in school. I always feel like I am missing something when people reference that topic with Abeka, and I would really like to read that particular text myself.

No, Abeka's theology is definitely NOT that of the "new Israel", or what some call "Dominion Theology". Dominion Theology is more in line with Covenant Theology (that is, some in the Covenant Theology camp... not all), which is very different than what the folks at Abeka believe.

However, Abeka DOES believe/agree that God is sovereign and therefore had intentional purposes for the work of the Gospel in this country (think of the religion of the Pilgrims and Puritans, and then the Great Awakening). They allude to the religious heritage of many of our founding fathers quite a bit.... and some equate that with them saying we're the "new Israel". But it's really not the same thing at all, as the theological distinctives in that "new Israel" belief that are NOT of the same mindset as Abeka.

Not sure if that clears it up or just muddies the water, but yes, Abeka is very patriotic; however, they are not "new Israel" folks. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Donna A.
Edited to fix typo.

I am Native American and some of the things I have read about A beka makes me uncomfortable. I tend not to buy anything from companies if they do things like I have read about their history materials. It makes it hard for me to take a curriculum company seriously.

Early American Christians did a lot of evil things. I can't teach my child that they were directed or excused by God for those actions.

Edited by Sis

No, Abeka's theology is definitely NOT that of the "new Israel", or what some call "Dominion Theology". Dominion Theology is more in line with Covenant Theology (that is, some in the Covenant Theology camp... not all), which is very different than what the folks at Abeka believe.

However, Abeka DOES believe/agree that God is sovereign and therefore had intentional purposes for the work of the Gospel in this country (think of the religion of the Pilgrims and Puritans, and then the Great Awakening). They allude to the religious heritage of many of our founding fathers quite a bit.... and some equate that with them saying we're the "new Israel". But it's really not the same thing at all, as there theological distinctives in that "new Israel" belief that are NOT of the same mindset as Abeka.

Not sure if that clears it up or just muddies the water, but yes, Abeka is very patriotic; however, they are not "new Israel" folks. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you very much! I really appreciate you clearing this up, at least for me. I could never figure out why people equated the two; (I never heard the term until I started visiting this forum!), but I'm glad to hear that is indeed not what the higher texts teach.

However, Abeka DOES believe/agree that God is sovereign and therefore had intentional purposes for the work of the Gospel in this country (think of the religion of the Pilgrims and Puritans, and then the Great Awakening). They allude to the religious heritage of many of our founding fathers quite a bit.... and some equate that with them saying we're the "new Israel". But it's really not the same thing at all, as the theological distinctives in that "new Israel" belief that are NOT of the same mindset as Abeka.

I have gone through 13 years of Abeka and agree with this.

What I meant was that they treat American history in a very whitewashed manner. ALL founding fathers were upstanding, Christian men that cared for others and blah, blah, blah. America is a Christian Nation...happy sappy.

That was my experience with Abeka history (I was in third grade). I've used them for the other subjects listed, but refuse to use them for reading and history.

History is dirty. Life is full of contradictions, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I don't want my children to have an unrealistic, Pollyanna type of view.

I am Native American and some of the things I have read about A beka makes me uncomfortable. I tend not to buy anything from companies if they do things like I have read about their history materials. It makes it hard for me to take a curriculum company seriously.

Early American Christians did a lot of evil things. I can't teach my child that they were directed or excused by God for those actions.

Mostly people dislike it because of its various biases, whether it's politics, theology, or race. There's a pretty strong anti-Catholic undertone, they say some pretty offensive things about Indians (the Trail of Tears was apparently a good thing), and entire regions (all of Africa has a 10% literacy rate and their social/political problems are all because they are not Christian). There's also some fishy historical or science 'facts', like the Great Depression didn't really happen, it was an exaggeration based on propoganda of the likes of John Steinbeck.

So yeah, I'd already decided we wouldn't use it because of the anti-Catholic bias, offensive remarks about Native Americans (especially as our whole family is part Native American, my 4 year old could travel to Nova Scotia and be pegged as part Micmac instantly) and the fact that theologically it doesn't fit at all with our beliefs but today my DH stumbled across some more info on it and was so shocked. I assured him that I had already ruled it out but he was pretty appalled at the quotes he read from the textbooks. I mean, all textbooks have a slant, which is why we're not using textbooks for history, but theirs is a bit extreme and I think he hadn't realized that kind of homeschool curriculum existed in the mainstream.

Basically, if someone is a dominionist Christian then they might find it appeals to them, but even then a lot just won't prefer the textbook approach or just like something better. So all of those combined is I think why many people dislike Abeka's curriculum. Dominionist Christians are a pretty select group, and then add a few protestant Christians who aren't Dominionist but don't mind that viewpoint either, and that's pretty much who will like Abeka. It's just a small group is all.

Not only that, A Beka is SOOOOOOO phenomenally boring. I was a paraprofessional at a Christian school last year and they used A Beka for EVERYTHING. I particularly remember the readers being wrist slittingly dull. DS13 didn't mind the history and science texts in the upper grades but he would have preferred to just read straight through them.

My cousin in laws use all Abeka for their kids. The wife won't even LOOK at anything else. She's very happy with it. I personally haven't really looked into it because I've found so many other things that I like and I've read that there's a ton of busy work with them (which I refuse to subject my children to).

I think this thread is a great example why there are so many who object to Abeka.

It was cracking me up that these threads were on the boards back to back.

...and yes, I use Abeka for some things, but I am not a fan. The truth is I give my kids some say in certain subjects and after perusing the vendor hall with ds10 he chose Abeka's readers. I can hack it for a year. ;)

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=414365&page=16

I think that what tends to happen is that a lot of people start using 100% full-meal Abeka. For some people, it works great and they don't end up as curriculum junkies on WTM. For other people it's an extremely bad fit.

I would say that Abeka is less flexible than many resources, in the following ways:

- It may not be appropriate for people who do not share its religious perspective (Christian protestant young earth etc.) and cannot be adjusted in the way that certain other resources can be.

- It may not be appropriate for people who do not share its political perspective (American exceptionalism etc.).

- It may not be appropriate for people who want to go 'off-script' in a variety of ways -- say, people who want fewer worksheets, or people who want to utilise less traditional teaching methods, or what have you. It's school-based, school-at-home.

But if you fall right in that sweet spot, which a lot of people do, then it can work very well.

I'm not sure that Abeka science and history materials provide a smooth transition to a secular college.

I have an issue with sitting a K'er in front of a TV, watching a teacher teach a class of kids, and expecting her to feel a part of that class, doing everything they are doing, right down to listening to the children pray during "circle time."

Yuck.

I have an issue with sitting a K'er in front of a TV, watching a teacher teach a class of kids, and expecting her to feel a part of that class, doing everything they are doing, right down to listening to the children pray during "circle time."

Yuck.

:iagree: Double yuk...

There are parts of ABeka that I like. The way they approach learning to read makes sense to me, and I've used it for all three of my kids.

Overall though, I think ABeka is just boring. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Used Abeka for first year of reading. Looked at enough ABeka and had enough given to me to realize that it would bore us to tears.

One thing to remember is that even if a fairly small percentage of people are happy with a program, that's plenty to keep the program healthy and successful. It's entirely possible for a homeschooling/religious schooling curriculum to succeed with a niche market. Abeka is not flexible and thus functions less well than most material out of its niche.

Many people dislike it because of it's very text book approach. There's NOTHING wrong with this, but it doesn't suit the needs of many homeschoolers. There's also the age old complaint that some homeschool & others school at home.

I think many times Abeka is associated with School At Home vs homeschooling. Where as things like unit studies or learning in ways where you dive in & immerse yourself in a subject are considered homeschooling.

FTR, I'm not saying this is or is not how I think. I'm just stating the complaints I've heard about Abeka. :)

• 11 years later...

Everyone I've met who uses all Abeka talks about how much work they "have to" do, but they don't want to use anything else because they want the peace of mind of having a third party make their decisions and do their planning. The amount of work (and often the price tag) seems to be a burden, but they willingly take it on so they know their kids are getting a good education. I'm sure it's a solid program; however I wouldn't use it because it's too rigid for our family. I work outside the home and have to adapt our schedule, choose materials that are more independent and combine my children in some subjects and tailor the work for each child. A boxed curriculum wouldn't work for us.

A co-worker of mine burned out on Abeka after one year and then sent her kids to school. I heard her discouraging another co-worker who was thinking about homeschooling because she said it's a lot of work and there's no way he'd be able to work and homeschool. Meanwhile, I'm sitting right there, working and homeschooling without issue.

Even though this thread is more than a decade old, if it's still relavent to others, I can comment on why I personally chose not to use Abeka.

1. The cost is beyond my budget.

2. ABeka has more components to juggle which can be overwhelming in a homeschool environment, especially if you are teaching multiple ages/grades.

3. This curriculum and is too colorful/busy for my easily distracted boys.

4. Too many of the texts are paperback which just would not physically survive all of my children.