Menu

Front Load washers...... love or hate??

I have a Frigidaire stackable set. I've had them about seven years, and I've been very happy with them. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I use only Amway laundry products, and I've never had to leave the washer door open, run a load with bleach/soda/vinegar/anything, or clean the "ring"...ever...and there have never been problems with mold or odor of any kind. I use teeny tiny amounts of detergent, fabric softener, etc.

We have a front loading Samsung and I love it! We switched over to front loading about 12 years ago and I've never looked back. I do think it's a little louder. But, the clothes are cleaner, less water, and it spins so well the clothes dry quicker.

We have a front loading Samsung and I love it! We switched over to front loading about 12 years ago and I've never looked back. I do think it's a little louder. But, the clothes are cleaner, less water, and it spins so well the clothes dry quicker.

We also just bought a Samsung, so I have only had it a few months. I LOVE it. It is HUGE! It is also very quiet.

The only reason we were able to buy this set is we found it half off at Best Buy.

Did I say it is HUGE?? I think 4.3 cubic feet, most are 3.7.

We have Kenmore Elite washer/dryer which we have had for about 8 yrs. They are awesome. I am still constantly amazed at how clean they get really dirty clothes with little det/water. I mean, you can wash normal dirty clothes on delicate, they are so good.

I would recommend them highly!

ReneeR

We also just bought a Samsung, so I have only had it a few months. I LOVE it. It is HUGE! It is also very quiet.

The only reason we were able to buy this set is we found it half off at Best Buy.

Did I say it is HUGE?? I think 4.3 cubic feet, most are 3.7.

It is HUGE! I can fit so much in and get so much done at once. I actually said to my hubby that I could almost complain- there is so much to fold at once! What a thing to complain about! :lol:

I don't either love or hate our front loader. When we first got them, the clothes felt different to me after they had been washed. I'm used to it now, I guess. I miss the gentleness of the top loader, but like the water savings of the front loader. If energy and water usage were no object, I would go with the top loader. But since they are, I'm okay with the front loader.

We have a duet that came with the house. I love how much I can fit in and love that it doesn't use as much water... but the washer does have the tendency to stink if I am not careful. When we first moved in, I was appalled how disgusting the wash smelled. I did some serious research, did a bunch of washes with different products and finally got it under control. It's not a problem now because I'm very careful about running a bleach load as my final load, never leaving anything in it, keeping the door open...

LOVE! :001_wub:

We have Whirlpool Duets. DH bought them for me when DD10 was a baby and I was washing cloth diapers daily. It made a huge difference in my life.

I can wash huge loads, including jackets, comforters, and sleeping bags.

I always use the double rinse feature, and often use the prewash and autosoak features.

Our model has an internal heater that heats the water hot enough to kill germs and bacteria so that it is not reliant upon the temperature of the water going into the machine.

We do leave the washer door open to let the ring dry out. We have not had any problems in the 10 years we have owned it.

We've had our LG front loaders for... 8 years? And love them. We just stacked them to gain more floor space in our laundry/ half bath (now full bath, as we gained enough to put in a shower) and they're great that way, too.

They hold a ton, and are very efficient. And they've been essentially trouble-free the entire time we've had them, though I will note that the washer filter does need to be cleaned periodically, the door gasket (on any of them) needs to be wiped down, and (again, pertains to all front loaders) you need to leave the door open so it doesn't get musty because they're water/air tight when shut, for obvious reasons.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

LOVE! :001_wub:

We have Whirlpool Duets. DH bought them for me when DD10 was a baby and I was washing cloth diapers daily. It made a huge difference in my life.

I can wash huge loads, including jackets, comforters, and sleeping bags.

I always use the double rinse feature, and often use the prewash and autosoak features.

Our model has an internal heater that heats the water hot enough to kill germs and bacteria so that it is not reliant upon the temperature of the water going into the machine.

We do leave the washer door open to let the ring dry out. We have not had any problems in the 10 years we have owned it.

We've had the same set for the same amount of time. We love them, have never had a service call and the only time we've had a stinky issue is when we left a load of towels that had been washed and rinsed on sanitary (super hot) in the washer with the door closed for a full 24 hours when we were unexpectedly away. It was the middle of summer and very hot/humid. So...nasty. Rewash. :lol

Sometimes we get lint buildup on the door and it's a simple *wipe*. We do leave the door open...but that doesn't bug me at all.

We had an old Maytag and hated it. I don't know if the newer versions are better or not. We got a huge toploader that turned out to be a maintainance nightmare - even the repair man said it was a bad machine. BUT, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Bravo! Wonderful machine!!! Holds a TON. Clothes come out clean and almost dry. We spent a week with my mother and used her traditional topload. It didn't hold nearly as much and the clothes came out so damp compared to what my machine operates.

We have a set of the original Whirlpool Duet. We've had it about ten years and love it. Smell is not an issue, we leave the door cracked. We did leave the towels in once and had to rewash. The pump went out, but dh replaced it himself.

I think it helps clothes last longer. It does use a lot less water, and I think my clothes come cleaner. I'll never go back to a washer with an agitator.

My parents recently had a repairman for their dryer. They asked him about front loading. He said the original Whirlpool Duets were German made and easy to work on. Apparently they don't have as many or as complicated of circuitry as the newer models. The newer ones are not German made. He said he didn't really like any of the newer front loader models. Of course that's from a repairman pov, but it explained to me why some people have had issues with newer models and we've had none.

I hate them! Won't ever have one. My dear friend saved up for one, and has had nothing but problems. She's had it about 4 years now, and it needs replacing. It doesn't clean her clothes, needs repairs 1-2 times a year, even w/in the first year, and she hates it. She will never go back. She's buying a top loader.

Love: -that I can stack them (small laundry room- this is really nice)

-that I can was blankets and sleeping bags without going to the laundromat

-the dryer is amazing and dries things in 20 minutes. (this has nothig to do witht the washer. We had the washer and an old dryer for 2 yrs)

Hate: -that I have to leave the door open or we have (worse) mold issues

- that it's so high-tech. Some little thing goes wrong and we can just finage it or fix it ourselves. It's way too high-maintainance. I should not have to work this hard for my clothes-slave.

-You can't start it in the middle of a cycle. So it the laundry tub gets clogged and the clothes are still really wet, you have to do a complete rinse/spin cycle that's about 25 min long. I don't need to rinse again. Just spin the water out!

- I think my clothes got cleaner in the old machine.

Own it - hate it - smell, and mold. No, it doesn't matter if you leave the door open or not. I have been in several houses and seen the same thing too.

However, I love the large capacity. I would get an ultra capacity, stainless drum without the agitator next time. The lid is clear on most of these too. They use less water than the normal top load as well. They circulate versus agitate ... hydro plate wash system.

We have a set of the original Whirlpool Duet. We've had it about ten years and love it. Smell is not an issue, we leave the door cracked. We did leave the towels in once and had to rewash. The pump went out, but dh replaced it himself.

I think it helps clothes last longer. It does use a lot less water, and I think my clothes come cleaner. I'll never go back to a washer with an agitator.

My parents recently had a repairman for their dryer. They asked him about front loading. He said the original Whirlpool Duets were German made and easy to work on. Apparently they don't have as many or as complicated of circuitry as the newer models. The newer ones are not German made. He said he didn't really like any of the newer front loader models. Of course that's from a repairman pov, but it explained to me why some people have had issues with newer models and we've had none.

Older Whirlpool Duet here too! Love it. Never had any problems with smell either. I can get very messy shirts and pants clean!(2 boys here) I use Meleleuca laundry poducts.

I like that they fit better in our small house. But if I had room and had a choice, I would stick with our old extra large capacity top load washer and dryer. There is a lot of bending and twisting and lifting involved with this type. Plus we do have the stinky washer syndrome, in spite of leaving the door open. We should really dry out the .... whatever it's called.... area where water collects.

IMHO, they're not all they're cracked up to be.