Menu

Decorating question for those with 7 year old girls...

I am outfitting a bedroom for my brother's 7 year old daughter (he has custody and moving and I'm decorating). I found the cutest bedding set, but want to make sure it's not too young for a 7 year old. I think my 10 year old would think it's too babyish for herself, so I want to make sure a 7 year old wouldn't think that!

5J65S05Mc3F73Ib3N7c3r0b122374596e162c.jpg

That is darling!

I used to have 7 y.o. girls. They would have loved that at 7, but (like your dd) at 10 would think it a bit young. So it depends on whether you or your brother want to redecorate in 3 years or so. :tongue_smilie:

Cat

Yes, we would. ;) I'm really okay with redoing it in two years. I just want to make sure she would like it now at her age.

My 7 year old voted too young. I just updated her room to an older, more "sophisticated" look but she did keep the quilted shams from her old bedding set. They look great and add a nice touch since she is still 7 (so maybe just get one or two accessories from the line you love to accent her room).

I have a 6(almost 7) year old and an 8 (almost 9) year old and I vote too young.

Does she have a favorite color? I would ask her. If you want it to be a surprise, just happen to go walking through the bedding department and see what she gravitates towards. I ask, because "I" like your shabby chic idea, but my older dd likes vibrant colors and would strongly dislike pastels. Lime green or electric blue are her thing. My younger dd likes hot pink, sparkles, and frou-frou.....so still not into pastels. However, she would be more likely to like whatever you did that was girly. Both of their rooms reflect what I've described above.

It's very pretty - I'd buy it for my 5yo if she asked.

Can I ask why you are not letting the 7 yo choose for herself? I only choose for my kids till they are old enough to have an opinion. My DD has decorated and chosen every single thing in her room and although none of it matches she loves it - which is the important thing since it is her room. I even let her stick the wall stickers on herself wherever she wanted to (and she did a good job) and she moves the furniture around at least once a month.

Even though it isn't to my taste and I could arrange it better I bite my tongue and let her do (within reason) whatever she wants in her space. My boys too once they are old enough to care (they don't really now).

I think it depends on the kid. My 9yo would have hated it at 7 but my current-7yo would love it.

We just moved and opted for teal/hot pink/aqua/black with white polkadots in one room (Target) and zebra w/assorted rainbow huge pillows all over her bed and a lime green fluffy rug in the other room.

It does remind me of crib bedding... but I think it is cute!

My 7 y.o. did not like it. . .she thought it looked too young. I thought it was pretty but more as a crib set.

My daughter's bedding is a combination of brown and a pinkish purple. Sophisticated, yet girly. I expect that she will get use out of it for many years to come. She has polkadot curtains that are cute without being very young girl.

I would figure out what color you're going to paint the room and then go from there. Benjamin Moore has a great selection of historical paint colors where you can pick a pink or purple without it be overwhelming. We used Antique Pink and it goes beautifully with pink, purple, even greens. This way she can change her room in the future without the need to repaint.

TJ Maxx often has girl bedding at great prices--complete sets--sheets, duvet covers, shams. . .