Menu

Theatre Peeps: Not an earth-shaking thing, but we could use some happy thoughts.

My daughter LOVES the show Hairspray. Ever since we saw it on the national tour when she was 10, she's been waiting for her chance to play Tracy.

It's so rare to find a lead character for girls/women who is supposed to be pleasantly plump.

A local community theatre with whom both of my kids have done shows had auditions for Hairspray this week. My daughter has been preparing for the auditions for months, ever since the theatre announced their season. She has been working with her voice teacher intensely on her audition song and has opted to hold off trying to lose weight (which would make her more castable for other roles) until she gave this audition her very best shot.

She did well at the audition. They kept her to read for the role multiple times. She felt good about her singing and dancing. She has worked with the director before and got great feedback. Multiple people she knows from the theatre community said they thought she had it in the bag.

We were told that the casting would be done by Thursday or Friday, with calls made to offer roles and an e-mail sent to those who were not cast.

As of last night, we started to hear from folks she knows who have been offered roles. We now know who has been cast in most of the primary roles and even some people in the ensemble.

She has not been called.

Obviously, she knew it was not a given that she would get the lead. To be honest, despite her not dieting for the last few months, she's not really chubby enough to be a creditable Tracy. And they had a few much larger girls/women audition for the role.

But she's having a lot of trouble processing that she hasn't even been offered a place in the ensemble. She had already decided she would accept it that was offered, and that she would volunteer to be the dramaturg for this production, just because she loves the show so much.

It's honestly a little surprising.

Meanwhile, my son also auditioned. He was technically a year too young, but we decided to let him give it a shot since I was already driving his sister out there. He did a youth production of the show last summer and was excited about doing it again.

Again, we knew it was likely he would be excluded just because of his age. But they let him audition, along with other, even younger people.

Among the bits of news we got yesterday was that one of the major roles has been cast with a 14-year-old girl (the same age as my son). And we have also heard that one of the ensemble parts for which we assumed my son was in the running has been filled with a boy even younger than him.

He, too, has not received a call, and we are assuming he will not be cast in the show.

Please understand they've been at this theatre thing a long time. It's not like they don't know how this stuff goes. It's not like they haven't not gotten cast before. They are all about classy and supportive and never "expect" to get into any show for which they audition (although, to be truthful, they usually do).

This one is just tough, because they know the theatre, the director, etc. They know and love this show. Both of them turned down opportunities to audition for other shows that would have conflicted with the rehearsal or show dates for this one, because they wanted it so badly.

It will be okay. There will be other shows. But they are both feeling hurt and sad, and I would appreciate any good thoughts you guys could throw our way today.

Thanks.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I hope the call comes soon for your daughter- but I do know how you feel. Especially since this is a role she has long wanted.

Ds has wanted to do Les Miserables for years and hasn't had the opportunity. Next spring the theater group he works with is doing it in our area AND it would be his graduating show- they only allow kids up to age 19. His dream show being his graduating show? He's in heaven but nervous as can be- all he wants is to be on the wall during the fight.

So yeah, I understand what your kids are going through and what you as a mom are going through. I simply cannot fathom them choosing someone other than your daughter- who has a theater degree!! And not even in the ensemble? No way. That call is coming.

Sending good thoughts your way.

:grouphug: To your kids. That would be a very tough week. Hope things start to look brighter soon.

Theater stuff is hard. My son is auditioning for 2 different summer shows this week. He just got a call back for tomorrow for a fairly competitive audition in a show with paid adult actors and 32 performances. He's bouncing off the walls. They already told the kids they may get called back and not cast so it's totally possible. My daughter does dance and I hope she doesn't want to start theater (she's only 7). She would take this so much more personally than my son. I saw a little girl of about 10 come out of an audition crying yesterday that was specifically designed to be fun (zero prep, group singing before everyone did a tiny solo, improv, taught an 8 step dance move). I'm glad my son just rolls with this stuff like it's no big deal either way generally (so far!).

The age range thing annoys me. Last year my son auditioned for a summer intensive at the nicest local children's theater and the age range was incoming 5th to 8th graders. A slew of theater kids exiting 8th grade came in and auditioned and all got cast. 130 kids auditioned for 25 parts. I'm sure more outgoing 8th graders would have shown up if they knew they could have and maybe my kid wouldn't have been so shocked he was a foot shorter than everyone else in his audition group. That was my son's first audition ever, so it wasn't at all a shock not to get in. If directors/theaters are going to bother to set an age range for a program, I wish they'd stick by it. Or just not have one.

I'm sorry they didn't get in! My dd has been auditioning for plays/musicals for the last 4 years. She's auditioned for 8 or 9, and gotten into 4. She also auditioned to get into two local theatre programs in fine arts schools, and didn't get in. There were 180 kids auditioning for 12 spots... odds being about 1 out of 9. It's the name of the game -- there are so few parts for so many talented young people.

My daughter was actually in Hairspray earlier this month in a local community theater. She was beyond thrilled to be a part of it, even it was "Just" the Baltimorean ensemble. She still gets emotionally upset when she doesn't get in to an audition she's poured her heart and soul into. She does it because she loves it.

The hurt is deep, because it feels so personal. But you know theater, so you know it's not really about the individual, it's about the chemistry of the ensemble, the leads meshing well and the vocal parts all covered. It's about the minds' eye of the artistic team. Platitudes will not make your kids feel better, but when the initial disappointment has passed, I hope they are able to look around and see what new opportunities (theater or otherwise) they are free to pursue since they are not committed to a rehearsal and show schedule.

When something very similar happened to my theater baby, it took time to heal. But she came through it much stronger. She learned that the love of her best friends and family was not based on her ability to perform. Your kids will bounce, too.

Momma, I know you hurt for your kids, too. You just want to suck up the pain for them and it hurts that you can't.

I hope they end of being cast and you just haven't heard yet. But if they are not cast, may there be something much better and unexpected be waiting in the wings. :grouphug:

The hurt is deep, because it feels so personal. But you know theater, so you know it's not really about the individual, it's about the chemistry of the ensemble, the leads meshing well and the vocal parts all covered. It's about the minds' eye of the artistic team.

Love this. We've learned a bunch about casting in the past year. Sometimes it's just about being the right height, build, or hair color compared to another actor. My son was cast as Hansel in Hansel and Gretel in his 3rd show in a show cast with 45+ kids. He "matched" Gretel vocally, visually, and height wise. He carries himself like an older kid in an audition which can pay off when you're auditioning against 8-12 year olds and he's tiny for age. It was an extremely lucky break for him. I know some other families that had been around that theater longer were disappointed. We fully expected him to be offered an ensemble part in that show. Honestly, we weren't even aware he could carry a tune until he auditioned for that show. :tongue_smilie:

The hurt is deep, because it feels so personal. But you know theater, so you know it's not really about the individual, it's about the chemistry of the ensemble, the leads meshing well and the vocal parts all covered. It's about the minds' eye of the artistic team.

Oh, believe me we know this. For years, I have told both of them that, if they go into an audition and really feel they did their best but don't get cast, it's just because that isn't their role. They didn't "lose" it, the role just wasn't for them.

Here's the update, though: My son got a call tonight. It was a message, and we haven't returned the call yet, but they are only calling people who have been cast. Everyone else will get an e-mail.

My poor daughter finally had her breakdown in the car on the way home from a rehearsal for the current show tonight. Not only did her little brother (who was technically too young even to audition) get into the show, but every one of her friends who auditioned got called tonight.

Of course it's not "personal." And, mostly it's not that her feelings are hurt. She's just really sad that she won't get to do the show.

And, it's official.

She got the "thanks for auditioning, but not this time" e-mail this evening.

Awww ... sorry. :crying: I was crossing fingers she'd still get a call. Hope some interesting opportunities open up for her soon!

"My poor daughter finally had her breakdown in the car on the way home from a rehearsal for the current show tonight. Not only did her little brother (who was technically too young even to audition) get into the show, but every one of her friends who auditioned got called tonight.

Of course it's not "personal." And, mostly it's not that her feelings are hurt. She's just really sad that she won't get to do the show."

Yep, been there several times. And it's so hard. :grouphug: Would she want to help with the technical aspects of Hairspray? And still be a part of the cast and crew? i.e. Make-up, costuming, props, etc?

And, it's official.

She got the "thanks for auditioning, but not this time" e-mail this evening.

I'm so sorry.:grouphug: I kept thinking this was going to end with good news.

And having her brother in it will be tough, too.

:grouphug: I'm sorry.

Do they need/have an understudy for the role? Might they be wanting her available for that?

This theatre does not cast understudies.

She is still considering volunteering to be their dramaturg, which would let her keep her hand in but not require her to pass on other opportunities to be present for every rehearsal.

My kids are younger, but they are already getting into musical theater, and I myself have played in the pit for several shows (including Hairspray).

I recently heard this expression that I think helps in life in general, but especially the theatre world:

SWSWSWSW

"Some Will, Some Won't, So What -- Someone's Waiting."

Jenny

This theatre does not cast understudies.

She is still considering volunteering to be their dramaturg, which would let her keep her hand in but not require her to pass on other opportunities to be present for every rehearsal.

What do they do if someone gets sick? Especially for a lead character with distinct physical characteristics who couldn't just be filled in by a generic ensemble understudy?

I suspect that volunteering would both show a good attitude and get her increased exposure with the people in charge of casting, increasing her chances of being cast in future shows, if she can handle it emotionally.

What do they do if someone gets sick? Especially for a lead character with distinct physical characteristics who couldn't just be filled in by a generic ensemble understudy?

The person does the show.

My son has done several shows there. Last winter, he was in Hello Dolly as one of the dancing waiters. There was elaborate choreography throughout much of the second act.

About two days before opening weekend, he started getting sick. By opening night, he hadn't been able to eat in about 36 hours and was running a fever of about 102 degrees.

We talked to the stage manager and explained the situation. But there was no replacement for him, and the dance numbers wouldn't work right without him. I left her my cell phone number and waited in the car outside the theatre, just in case he couldn't make it through the show.

But he did.

I suspect that volunteering would both show a good attitude and get her increased exposure with the people in charge of casting, increasing her chances of being cast in future shows, if she can handle it emotionally.

She knows the folks there quite well. She did a show with the same director two summers ago and is a frequent attendee to see shows in which her friends and brother perform. She had the lead in Alice in Wonderland there when she was 12.

Last I heard yesterday afternoon, though, she was drafting an e-mail to ask the director if he'd like her to help with the dramaturgy. So, we'll see.

Awes, hugs to your daughter and congrats to your son. I think it is even harder when one child gets something the other also wanted so desperately. Much kudos to her for even considering volunteering for dramaturg. That says much about her character and you should be a proud mama for that!

Mine are involved in children's theater and we purposely picked a theater that typically casts everyone who tries out. The current show is "Phantom Tollbooth" and DS really was hoping for a speaking role, he was cast as Young King Azaz (non-speaking) and ensemble. But when I saw the two teens that we're cast as he adult King and Mathemagician alongside my DS and the boy cast as Young Mathemagician, it was just amazing how well it worked!! They really were believable younger versions of the older characters and their physical size complemented each other so well! DS is starting to understand that non-speaking does not mean that role can't shine because there will be lot of physical acting involved so his initial disappointment is giving way. Casting is so much about the whole picture and fitting all the pieces together, but sometimes it is hard to remember that when our kids are one of those pieces.

:grouphug:

Jenny, your DD is awesome to be asking if she can help. She'll definitely get the next role that's right for her.

With my own DD who started mainstage shows at age 10, I explained that the director already has the entire show mapped out in his mind, even before auditions. He is looking for people that already meet his ideal. It doesn't mean the best singer/actor/dancer will get the part.

I think explaining it like that has kept her grounded, also, when she does get good roles.

She was once down to the last 3 for a double casting in "Sound of Music". That one was emotionally rough for both of us. But another show, "Seussical" was auditioning the next month. Turns out the Seussical director would not even consider kiddos who were cast in the first one. The Seussical director now calls her for roles and she doesn't have to audition for his shows. So a bad experience turned out to be the best thing.

She was once down to the last 3 for a double casting in "Sound of Music". That one was emotionally rough for both of us. But another show, "Seussical" was auditioning the next month. Turns out the Seussical director would not even consider kiddos who were cast in the first one. The Seussical director now calls her for roles and she doesn't have to audition for his shows. So a bad experience turned out to be the best thing.

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing!

You've had lots of good responses, but I wanted to add my 2 cents. I was in theater through out my childhood, high school years, and was a theater minor in college. If you're daughter REALLY has the theater bug, encourage her to work on every show in some fashion regardless if she's cast in a role or not. Getting experience running lights, sound, makeup, sewing costumes, etc. can be invaluable for later and will give her a better understanding of how the whole production comes together.

In college, there were plenty of times when the girl/guy who usually got the lead wasn't cast and they went on to run the spotlight or work on building the set. It was actually expected if you wanted to be taken seriously by the directors down the road.

It's hard hearing "no" when you're a kid (or even an adult). It hurts. Hugs to your daughter from someone who has been there. :grouphug:

Thanks for the kind words. My daughter has already volunteered to be their dramaturg for this production.

Having already done a theatre degree, she knows the ins and outs of this world.

This one was just an especially tough blow.