Menu

Oh My! What are these young girls thinking from CNN

crazy. It is REALLY hard to work, live on your own, and raise a baby in high school! Of course, they probably don't have to do all that. I'm glad I did though. It made me a better person and a better mom. Of course, I didn't TRY to get pregnant either (btw, it CAN happen the first and/or only time!).

I hope my kids have learned from my mistakes as well as from our belief system. I hope they choose to respect their bodies as well as our God.

So sad that they are trying to create their own family unit by having babies and joining with friends to make a family unit.

So sad that the nurse seems to think that offering birth control without parental notice is going to stop a girl who WANTS to get pg from becoming that way. That one really confuses me.

So sad that they are trying to create their own family unit by having babies and joining with friends to make a family unit.

So sad that the nurse seems to think that offering birth control without parental notice is going to stop a girl who WANTS to get pg from becoming that way. That one really confuses me.

This was my take on it as well, that they are so desperate for a real sense of family that they are building their own. It is just heartbreaking they are so misguided.

This is why I should rent out my children to teens who think parenthood is nothing more than playing dress up with a baby. The was one girl who got pg when I was in high school and she was so badly judged. TIme sure have changed in a fast way to have 17 of them pregnant together, that's insane.

That is really sad. I agree that birth control is not going to help kids who want

to get pregnant. That is like trying to put a band-aid on a broken arm. I think as a society we are way too interested in immediate gratification and not nearly interested enough in real answers. Those poor girls.

I had the same thought. :confused:

When I grew up in Iowa, girls did this all the time. Because of it, I grew an attitude that teen pregnancies are rarely unplanned. I do not know any teen that does not know how babies are made. I am sure there are some teen pregnancies that are unplanned..but there were so many when I was in high school and these girls did it on purpose. Once they had babies, they got free everything..from apartments to foodstamps to medicaid and so on. Then, they also got a $450 check on top of that. This means, all expenses paid plus $450. In the mid-80's for a bunch of teen girls, this was pretty good. I didn't think so badly of it when I was a child, but then as an adult, I look back and think of all those teenaged boys whose lives were ruined by a teengirl insisting she was on birth control when she was not and so on. The children, being raised by teenagers. Teen pregnancy affects so many and the girls I knew to do it were generally the self centered ones who just wanted everything and did not care about who they hurt and otherwise. They did not think about who they were hurting. What really gets me now is thinking about how they would always be so sweet and lie to the boys while behind their backs, picking baby names. But then once pregnant, would be mean to the guys and say things like "you did this to me" as if they were innocent victims of these horrible boys. I am not saying the boy is innocent from having sex, but I think he hardly victimized the girl who claimed to be on birthcontrol while picking baby names behind his back and discussing trying to have babies behind his back.

I am sure not all teen pregnancies are like this..but I saw enough of this when I was a teen that it sure has tainted my view of it.

When I grew up in Iowa, girls did this all the time. Because of it, I grew an attitude that teen pregnancies are rarely unplanned. I do not know any teen that does not know how babies are made. I am sure there are some teen pregnancies that are unplanned..but there were so many when I was in high school and these girls did it on purpose. Once they had babies, they got free everything..from apartments to foodstamps to medicaid and so on. Then, they also got a $450 check on top of that. This means, all expenses paid plus $450. In the mid-80's for a bunch of teen girls, this was pretty good. I didn't think so badly of it when I was a child, but then as an adult, I look back and think of all those teenaged boys whose lives were ruined by a teengirl insisting she was on birth control when she was not and so on. The children, being raised by teenagers. Teen pregnancy affects so many and the girls I knew to do it were generally the self centered ones who just wanted everything and did not care about who they hurt and otherwise. They did not think about who they were hurting. What really gets me now is thinking about how they would always be so sweet and lie to the boys while behind their backs, picking baby names. But then once pregnant, would be mean to the guys and say things like "you did this to me" as if they were innocent victims of these horrible boys. I am not saying the boy is innocent from having sex, but I think he hardly victimized the girl who claimed to be on birthcontrol while picking baby names behind his back and discussing trying to have babies behind his back.

I am sure not all teen pregnancies are like this..but I saw enough of this when I was a teen that it sure has tainted my view of it.

Wow. I can't believe it was so rampant at your school. I'd like to offer another explanation, though. You say it was for all the free stuff, but I suspect it was more than that. Trying to fill a void -- needing to be loved. Fear of success-- If you get pregnant in high school no one expects anything great for you, your fate is sealed. And also, fame. I think that's what is going on with these girls from MA. Look how famous they are. And they didn't even have to charge into a school and kill anybody. :(

Margaret

My cousin got pregnant on purpose at 13. She thought it would get her daddy to come back home. It didn't.

Sometimes the families of these girls are pressuring them into getting pg. In college my roommate was in the "big sister" program. Her "little sister" started receiving pressure from her mother to have a baby when she was 14. All her friends dd's had give them grandchildren. She wanted one too. Said grandchild arrived the next year. It was a cultural milestone.:ack2:

Wow. I can't believe it was so rampant at your school. I'd like to offer another explanation, though. You say it was for all the free stuff, but I suspect it was more than that. Trying to fill a void -- needing to be loved. Fear of success-- If you get pregnant in high school no one expects anything great for you, your fate is sealed. And also, fame. I think that's what is going on with these girls from MA. Look how famous they are. And they didn't even have to charge into a school and kill anybody. :(

Margaret

Sadly Ihave to agree with you. Maybe bonking some heads together with get some sense into them...just kidding....I think. This is such a frustrating topic to me because my mom's neighborhood has some many young girls with babies and my stupid niece did the same and she lived through the struggles in her own family with her mother and dumb *s* father and my niece did the same thing except "her babies daddy" could care less of her and the baby unless of course she has money saved then he's around until it's gone. frustrating society we live in where girls think it's all okay somebody will take care of me.

Margaret

I agree. Because I admit....shamefully, I was very jealous. I wanted to have a baby too. In some ways, I think hormonally, lots of girls are made with materal feelings early because in history, people had babies early. I wanted a baby to love and cuddle and care for too. Thank goodness I did not. But at the time, I was very jealous. I think some of those girls were bored with their lives and this was fun. Have a baby, a baby shower, so on and so forth. It really makes me sick when I am at a baby store seeing a grandparent buying thousands of dollars worth of stuff for her teenager's baby. I am talking Britax car seats and far more expensive clothes that I ever bought for my own children, let alone, grandparents did. I think some very irresponsible grandparents see this as a 2nd chance to be a mommy to the baby (I do not really see the men doing this).