Menu

Anyone else driving themselves crazy with decisions???

ByGrace3

I am beginning to think I have lost my mind. Just when I think I have it all figured out (seriously, I was confident in that decision for months!) and then bam! I am back to being unsure. Why oh why is choosing a history/lit soooo difficult?!?!? and then I begin to question other things . . . I do NOT need to question other things. DO NOT!!!

Someone needs to hit me over the head . . . or perhaps unplug my computer! :lol:

when I start whirling around with the ideas, I take a step back and just stop thinking about it for a while. I was doing that with history but I've taken a step back (realizing it is only March), and am trying to remind myself of my main priorities and going from there. Having a year under your belt to know what works and what your preferences are helps, no?

when I start whirling around with the ideas, I take a step back and just stop thinking about it for a while. I was doing that with history but I've taken a step back (realizing it is only March), and am trying to remind myself of my main priorities and going from there. Having a year under your belt to know what works and what your preferences are helps, no?

Yes, having a year under your belt does help, although the 10 years I have under mine are not helping me this time. I actually think I might be burnt out because usually at this time of year, I know what we're going to use and have begun purchasing it.

Edited by mama25angels

Well, I took a step back for months (when I thought I was set) :tongue_smilie: Next year will be our 3rd year homeschooling (officially). There are some things I am set on. YEAH! Some things we are "mostly" set on. ;) and then there is history/lit. :lol: On a positive note, I have it narrowed down to 2!

I definitely think the step back and reflect on priorities is awesome advice...I remind myself of that often. And in the end I know we will be fine either way. Both programs are fantastic and I know they will both "work" well for our family. dh and I were discussing this yesterday and he thinks I am crazy of course in my obsession with researching, however I reminded him that over the last 2 years of homeschooling only once did I add a component to tweak a plan. Not having changed anything mid stream is a huge feet in my book. :lol:

What are the two programs? I had mine narrowed down to two as well, now i'm up to four. I've been trying hard NOT to think about it too, but I can't seem to get it off my mind for more than a week, lol.

I am deciding between BP Middle Ages or SL Core C (I actually think I like the new changes to that core).

and of course the choice for next year decides the 2 years after that :lol: (I like Core D and E for SL so the thought of maybe wanting to use them pushes me to perhaps go with Core C this year.

Or go with BP and just add in more SL books.

The choice now probably hinges on which notes I like better: SL notes or BP companion. Though, without having them in hand, not sure how to know.

What are you thinking about? :)

I am deciding between BP Middle Ages or SL Core C (I actually think I like the new changes to that core).

and of course the choice for next year decides the 2 years after that :lol: (I like Core D and E for SL so the thought of maybe wanting to use them pushes me to perhaps go with Core C this year.

The choice now probably hinges on which notes I like better: SL notes or BP companion. Though, without having them in hand, not sure how to know.

I'm thinking of:

BP Ancients (because I have it already)

WP QAW (afraid to try it because of all the CS issues i've heard about)

MFW ECC

a Memoria Press 4th grade hybrid (because I have a ton of the books they use, lol)

I still honestly don't know why i'm having such a hard time deciding, like you, I know we'll be o.k with whatever I decide.

Science? Science? Science?

I have a daughter who is advanced in science and need a program that will challenge her. She wants one that is "mechanical"? And lots and lots of experiments, yet she loves everything about animals. Ugh!

The research is fun but exhausting.

Don't even get me started on math, grammar, writing, etc.

Tis' the season! :D

I've had my curriculum "all set" several times in the last few months! Then someone posts something new, and I'm all mixed up again. :)

At this point, I think I have everything chosen. At least, every time someone has posted something new in the last week or so, I've ended up sticking with what I already picked.

I can't wait to get my curriculum ordered... but I still have a month to go.

What do you all suggest for third grade math? She likes manipulatives and does ok with math. Just starting you get themath facts down for addition. We are using nju currently. Need something led pricey. singapore, horizons, others?

Oh oh, math! Math I can talk about, we are VERY set there ;) we LOVE math Mammoth. Baring something big I dont see us having to decide math again until per algebra. (of course I probably just jinxed that by saying that!) :lol:

Oh and while manipulatives are not built it, we have many right start manipulatives and the rs games and it is a perfect combo.

YES!!!! I have the history/lit piece down pat, but I am questioning everything else!

Continue TT for the 6th grader? (even though he's not using the lecture CD)

Switch to AOP for LA for both? Do WP LA for both? Cave in and let the sixth grader do CLE for LA and Math even though I hate the idea and think he is having "grass is greener" syndrome? Aaaaaaa!

What do you all suggest for third grade math? She likes manipulatives and does ok with math. Just starting you get themath facts down for addition. We are using nju currently. Need something led pricey. singapore, horizons, others?

BJU, is that what you meant by nju? I LOVE BJU third grade math. Try to get the TM used, they are usually available. You can use the same manipulatives you used in 2nd grade for the most part.

YES!!!! I have the history/lit piece down pat, but I am questioning everything else!

Continue TT for the 6th grader? (even though he's not using the lecture CD)

Switch to AOP for LA for both? Do WP LA for both? Cave in and let the sixth grader do CLE for LA and Math even though I hate the idea and think he is having "grass is greener" syndrome? Aaaaaaa!

So I was thinking about you yesterday when I read a zillion posts about Winterspromise and TQ and read many of your posts :lol: Briefly my down to 2 decision broadened, but I quickly ruled them out once again (Though TQ is definitely on the table for the future, I just wish they had something other than American history only for this age . . . but then again it would just make my decision more difficult :lol:)

I also have been toying with changing up the LA.

ETC-- Is dd retaining anything?

AAS-- takes a long time, yet it IS working!

WWE-- not sure dd is getting anything

FLL-- questioning retention

I love the ease of use of FLL and WWE, but not sure my super visual learner is getting the most out of it... le sigh. . . I will probably keep faith in the program and continue... though I will be honest and a LA tied into the curriculum appeals to me greatly right now. So greatly that I even thought about supplementing my current LA lineup with SL LA, but then I would have to use the 4/5 LA to go along with the 4/5 readers, and while my rising 2nd grader is advanced, 4th grade LA might be a bit of a stretch! :lol:

See???? I have completely lost control :tongue_smilie:

Yes, me!

We have so loved MOH but we need to do American for the next 2 years and I really want to keep my 3 kids together. I thought I was finally decided on All American history so I purchased it. I don't love it. at all. So then I had finally decided that I would do SL 100 with 7th grader spread over 2 years and do Core D with my 4th grader - I was told these coordinate very nicely. This would leave 1st grader out so I would use TruthQuest to add in books for him. I still think this is a viable plan (though a lot of work for me - which I'm used to bc I prep everything for MOH during the summer, making book lists, printing off notebook pages, etc.) but the whole beauty of paying so much for IGs should be I leave behind soem of that work, right???? And now I'm aggravated about all of the changes they have implemented, too. So I'm going to be paying a lot more but still trying to coordinate it all.

So, what I really want is TOG but the cost, oh the cost! I think I've finally decided and DH has ok'd me to buy the 1st quarter that we will need and use it and see how we like it.

I still have just a little tiny "niggle" in my brain that I should buy SL before the changes april 1st or used... sigh......

and I'm still trying to figure out math for my rising 7th grader....oh the agony!

I'm tired of researching and I think DH is tired of seeing me glued to the computer in the evenings to boot!

Yes, me!

We have so loved MOH but we need to do American for the next 2 years and I really want to keep my 3 kids together. I thought I was finally decided on All American history so I purchased it. I don't love it. at all. So then I had finally decided that I would do SL 100 with 7th grader spread over 2 years and do Core D with my 4th grader - I was told these coordinate very nicely. This would leave 1st grader out so I would use TruthQuest to add in books for him. I still think this is a viable plan (though a lot of work for me - which I'm used to bc I prep everything for MOH during the summer, making book lists, printing off notebook pages, etc.) but the whole beauty of paying so much for IGs should be I leave behind soem of that work, right???? And now I'm aggravated about all of the changes they have implemented, too. So I'm going to be paying a lot more but still trying to coordinate it all.

So, what I really want is TOG but the cost, oh the cost! I think I've finally decided and DH has ok'd me to buy the 1st quarter that we will need and use it and see how we like it.

I still have just a little tiny "niggle" in my brain that I should buy SL before the changes april 1st or used... sigh......

and I'm still trying to figure out math for my rising 7th grader....oh the agony!

I'm tired of researching and I think DH is tired of seeing me glued to the computer in the evenings to boot!

I was going to suggest getting the SL core D now before the changes, but I see you've already thought about that. We just finished core D and absolutely loved it!

I ended up buying the next two SL core IGs now, and get the books when I needed them. My dc and I love the SL we've been using, and aren't too excited about the changes.

So I was thinking about you yesterday when I read a zillion posts about Winterspromise and TQ and read many of your posts :lol: Briefly my down to 2 decision broadened, but I quickly ruled them out once again (Though TQ is definitely on the table for the future, I just wish they had something other than American history only for this age . . . but then again it would just make my decision more difficult :lol:)

I also have been toying with changing up the LA.

ETC-- Is dd retaining anything?

AAS-- takes a long time, yet it IS working!

WWE-- not sure dd is getting anything

FLL-- questioning retention

I love the ease of use of FLL and WWE, but not sure my super visual learner is getting the most out of it... le sigh. . . I will probably keep faith in the program and continue... though I will be honest and a LA tied into the curriculum appeals to me greatly right now. So greatly that I even thought about supplementing my current LA lineup with SL LA, but then I would have to use the 4/5 LA to go along with the 4/5 readers, and while my rising 2nd grader is advanced, 4th grade LA might be a bit of a stretch! :lol:

See???? I have completely lost control :tongue_smilie:

I relate to all of this!

But we ARE going to go with TQ American history next year. . .unless I switch my mind and go back to Simply Charlotte Mason. . .

And I know all about questioning that LA line up. I have considered now switching to R&S English or maybe CLE LA, or how about just switch it all up and go with the Memoria Press complete grade level package. :lol:

I am beginning to think I have lost my mind. Just when I think I have it all figured out (seriously, I was confident in that decision for months!) and then bam! I am back to being unsure. Why oh why is choosing a history/lit soooo difficult?!?!? and then I begin to question other things . . . I do NOT need to question other things. DO NOT!!!

Someone needs to hit me over the head . . . or perhaps unplug my computer! :lol:

:iagree: I am right there with you :banghead: I keep thinking I have it all settled, and then, nope... here is something else to tempt me!

I relate to all of this!

But we ARE going to go with TQ American history next year. . .unless I switch my mind and go back to Simply Charlotte Mason. . .

And I know all about questioning that LA line up. I have considered now switching to R&S English or maybe CLE LA, or how about just switch it all up and go with the Memoria Press complete grade level package. :lol:

:lol: i've been looking at the Memoria Press packages too and i've contemplating switching to R&S English and spelling

Bygrace3 biblioplan's sample include 3 weeks of the companion (it did for ancients at least)

Personally I'm set on TOG year 1 doing mostly UGbut I will only buy the first unit in case we don't care for it. I came to that decision after trying sonlight this year and not caring for it at all, moving to a US history so we can begin the 4 year cycle next year.

I've also considered for next year

WP

MOH

Biblioplan

In the end I like the bible / world view + some independent literature work and think TOG will be best for us. If only we had an iPad app!

MM.

And join the club! Indecisive this year :001_huh:

Bygrace3 biblioplan's sample include 3 weeks of the companion (it did for ancients at least)

Personally I'm set on TOG year 1 doing mostly UGbut I will only buy the first unit in case we don't care for it. I came to that decision after trying sonlight this year and not caring for it at all, moving to a US history so we can begin the 4 year cycle next year.

I've also considered for next year

WP

MOH

Biblioplan

In the end I like the bible / world view + some independent literature work and think TOG will be best for us. If only we had an iPad app!

Yes, thanks, I read the sample. Just hard to tell. My sister uses TOG with her girls so I have looked at it a million times. I am pretty confident it is more than I need right now and since I can't even decide upon 2nd grade history buying a program for the future would be utter insanity :lol: also when I did a chart of which level books I would need long term I was baffled. My kids will hit the levels at slightly different ages making me need a ridiculous amount of books (ie. we would do lg yr 2 next yr but next time around I will have lg, ug, d and then the next rotation UG, D, and R. So yes, I only had to buy TOG once but in the end I would have bought multiple book levels making it still soooo much more expensive than any other program.) all that to say who knows if it will be back on the table next year! :lol:

Ah yes, and the iPad app... I love that I can get BP materials as PDF's. Wish SL had a PDF option...

Yes, I am!

I have been researching ALOT since I am getting ready to start in the fall, and everytime I think I found something good I either read some tidbit about it I don't like or someone posts something else that I haven't heard of and I have to research that!

I think I'm going to the Cincinnati convention, so I've decided to wait until I see stuff with my own eyes before I make any decisions.

Yep. You are definately not the only one. I'm in the late stages of scheduling everything now, and of course 2 days ago, I ended up backtracking with several subjects and completely changing them (i.e. Maths - instead of skipping Part B, I have gone back to decide we're going to do it. Phonics - Scrapped ETC, and decided to add in AAR instead. Spelling - Due to adding AAR, We'll be delaying AAS till mid year) but I have promised myself this is my last change ever for this year! Its hard to schedule things if there constantly being scrapped and added!

I have to especially laugh because I was looking at threads on the SL board just now and saw you had posted there, and I was thinking, "She's looking at SL now?!?!?" :lol:

And I know you and I have talked about history choices a lot in the past. I just picked up SL Core D (3) on a whim, used. Just the IG and a couple books, and I got a few more of the books off Amazon and many are at the library. We are really loving it so far, but we've only just started. I've been reading ahead, and every book I've read has been great! I'm really looking forward to the rest of this core. I may very well keep going in SL. We'll see.

I actually like the changes in the new IGs for the most part (except the Light and the Glory thing, but I can get over that). I feel for the people that actually want to do just 4 day weeks, but for me who does 5 days, having the 5 day be an optional history day works. I'm not thrilled about LA being forced into the IG, but oh well. I have my cheap used Core 3, and that core only had one book change up until the 2012 changes, and that was the poetry book. Cores D and E (3 and 4) were quite stable the last several years, apparently.

Well, I'm doing a BP/Sonlight combo!! :tongue_smilie: Early American and Core D. I like the history portion of BP better, but like having the readers and read-alouds already picked out and scheduled for me from Sonlight!! :D

I have to especially laugh because I was looking at threads on the SL board just now and saw you had posted there, and I was thinking, "She's looking at SL now?!?!?" :lol:

And I know you and I have talked about history choices a lot in the past. I just picked up SL Core D (3) on a whim, used. Just the IG and a couple books, and I got a few more of the books off Amazon and many are at the library. We are really loving it so far, but we've only just started. I've been reading ahead, and every book I've read has been great! I'm really looking forward to the rest of this core. I may very well keep going in SL. We'll see.

I actually like the changes in the new IGs for the most part (except the Light and the Glory thing, but I can get over that). I feel for the people that actually want to do just 4 day weeks, but for me who does 5 days, having the 5 day be an optional history day works. I'm not thrilled about LA being forced into the IG, but oh well. I have my cheap used Core 3, and that core only had one book change up until the 2012 changes, and that was the poetry book. Cores D and E (3 and 4) were quite stable the last several years, apparently.

:lol: :lol: yes, see I am losing my mind! The LA thing is killing me though, I won't abandon what we are using currently (I think!) but of I have to buy it I might want to use some of it! So, which la for a 2nd grader doing grade 4/5 readers? :001_huh:

So, do you like the notes in the ig? Are they better than the BP notes? (i am so glad you came in here!) :tongue_smilie:

And while we are laughing, I would just like to point out that I am not alone miss BP, SOTW, mfw, hod...SL! :lol::lol:

Well, I'm doing a BP/Sonlight combo!! :tongue_smilie: Early American and Core D. I like the history portion of BP better, but like having the readers and read-alouds already picked out and scheduled for me from Sonlight!! :D

I have thought about this, but how crazy expensive it would be!? SL core plus $79 for BP ebooks plus extra BP books. And then one of my reasons for doing SL would be to sit back and just enjoy learning. Not sure combining 2 complete programs would facilitate to this end. :lol:

oh I lost 2 nights sleep this week over making decisions. Well today I sold a lot of stuff to the local homeschool store and got our science for next year super cheap! Whoohooo! Decision done. If I hadn't been able to buy it I would still be on the fence between 2 programs, lol. For me, buying ends my agony. If I had money now I could end some other agonizing choices :tongue_smilie::lol:

dh makes me list pro/cons of everything I can't decide on and usually within a day I figure it out, have peace and buy :D

So, do you like the notes in the ig? Are they better than the BP notes? (i am so glad you came in here!) :tongue_smilie:

The IG actually has questions, which BP did not. Now some people think the questions are light, but they've looked fine to me.

There are also sometimes articles for the parent to read. One caused me to do some research, and sure enough, they were right. It wasn't some off the wall thing they were talking about, but I had just never heard about it.

And while we are laughing, I would just like to point out that I am not alone miss BP, SOTW, mfw, hod...SL! :lol::lol:

Exactly! :lol::lol::lol:

I have it settled! Staying with bju for math. It works so why switch? Found a deal on the workbook at the homeachool buyers co-op and the tm is cheap on classifieds!

So

Bible history la science with.mfw adventuures

Math bju math 3

english pll

Art classes at alocal group, projects and crafts at home

music DVD and CD from library about different compoaers

Spelling aas level 2 to start with

I think that's it! Excited to start getting things!