Menu

Help me find a water bottle?

I'm looking for new water bottles for the kids, and I'm being picky. I don't want plastic or anything coated with chemicals that will leach into the water. They don't drink water quickly, so many times they will be sipping on the water ALL DAY. Nothing that will rust, so I can set them in a cooler full of ice, which will inevitably lead to the bottles sitting in a cooler full of water by the end of the weekend. And the tops---here is where I run into trouble. No straws, no spouts, no sport-bottle tops. I want the part you drink from to be covered. My kids drop the bottles constantly---in the grass, in the sand, in the mud. Yuck. I also need them to be leak-proof, since they throw them in their backpacks.

So....do you have a bottle that you love? Be specific! Thanks.

Yes! Klean Kanteen! I just bought us all the wide-mouth insulated one. The kids can fill it with ice themselves without making a mess. No need to even set them in a cooler of ice, either. I don't know how they constructed these things but they have the best insulation I've ever experienced. DH takes coffee in his in the morning and it's still piping hot hours later. We all use ours for iced and it lasts more than 24 hours, even in the car. Once, I brought my bottle in after being in the car overnight and there was still a big enough chunk of ice that it wouldn't pass through to pour. I left it on the counter overnight again, without its cap on, and when I poured it out the next morning all the ice was gone but it was still super cold. I got the cafe top for all of ours (for car use mostly) but the spout it comes with screws off for drinking. Plus, that top is looped so you can use a carabiner to link it to a backpack so they don't drop it so often. :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My Klean Kanteen cost me about $27 four years ago and still looks great. No rust, no more than a tiny dent or two; it still stands upright just fine, and it gets dragged around, dropped, etc., plenty. For me, it's been well worth the money. (I have a 27-ounce one.) I just bought a black 40-ounce one for my DH, and he likes it too. He and I both have the stainless loop caps, and we like those a lot, though the only catch is that they squeak a bit when you screw/unscrew them. I also just bought a hot pink 27-ounce one for my 10yo; she didn't want the cap like ours, because she wants to drink from it in the car without worrying about it all dumping on her. She likes the sport cap, and it has an attached cover for it, so she can keep it clean.

I highly recommend the KKs!

http://www.thermos.com/products/intak-blue-24-oz-hydration-bottle.aspx This is the one I have. On a hot day it won't keep your drink cold but I love the pop top and the part that lets me keep track of how much I drink. The spout is about an inch in diameter. I really like it.

My kids all have a smaller version of that, and they love them. I have the Thermos Roho. I wish I could find something with the Roho style top on a double-walled bottle; that would be the best of both worlds!

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-24-Ounce-ROHO-Hydration-Bottle/dp/B002VJX3PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332288076&sr=8-1

Klean Kanteen! You can choose which cap you like - sport, loop, flat. We used to use Sigg bottles but they are aluminum inside and have a smaller mouth making it harder to clean than the Klean Kanteen. I like that the Klean Kanteen is stainless steel inside. We have several in all different sizes.

We use Sigg bottles, but I've also heard good things about Klean Kanteen.

We like the tops and the designs on our Sigg bottles; our Klean Kanteen bottles have fewer dents. More dents isn't necessarily a drawback. The dent on my Sigg (dropped on the garage steps by a helpful young gent) fits my hand perfectly. :tongue_smilie:

We bought water bottles for the family five years ago. Six? Some Sigg and some Klean Kanteen. Both brands have held up well, and they go everywhere with us in the summertime. The less expensive lookalikes we bought for extras aren't as heavy-duty and haven't held up nearly as well.

Cat

Do you mind screw tops so they just drink straight from the bottle? If that works then Kleen Kanteen ( http://www.kleankanteen.com/index.php ). The caps are plastic, but you can get a stainless steel cap as well.

I have a kleen kanteen and love it. I have had it for a few years now with no issues. I bought a glass water bottle with a top that twists off and LOVED that. Until I dropped it...:glare: