Menu

1st Grade: What are you using??

Snowstorm84

Pitterpatter -

Here's a link to Phonics of Drawing at Rainbow Resource.

HOP is Hooked on Phonics.

I don't really schedule typing as a class. :) On Saturdays (usually every second or third Saturday) I have the kids take a timed typing test - the one on Typing Instructor for Kids - and write down their wpm score. They each have to reach a certain wpm goal by the end of the school year. I have a chart that they can look at through the year to check their progress. For my first grader it will be 20 wpm by the end of first grade.

Realized I should have added LoF: Elementary series for math and Judo twice a week for PE. We also have Reading Eggs and ClickN' Kids (phonics and spelling) for our less scheduled days. We've also dabbled in some Funnix to supplement reading. Ds isn't so keen on it but I think it helps him with slowing down and identifying sounds.

Thanks for the info!

I realize that HOP is Hooked on Phonics, as we use it. However, I'm wondering what the 4 and 5 are. I thought HOP only went up to second grade? Are you using an older version that was numbered differently?

Pitterpatter -

Here's a link to Phonics of Drawing at Rainbow Resource.

HOP is Hooked on Phonics.

I don't really schedule typing as a class. :) On Saturdays (usually every second or third Saturday) I have the kids take a timed typing test - the one on Typing Instructor for Kids - and write down their wpm score. They each have to reach a certain wpm goal by the end of the school year. I have a chart that they can look at through the year to check their progress. For my first grader it will be 20 wpm by the end of first grade.

I'm sure it is just an older system. I've had it for ten years and bought it used even then. Level 1 is K, 2 and 3 are 1st grade, 4 and 5 are second grade. I also have the HOP SRA power reading set that we use after the 5 levels. My dd 8 is currently about halfway through the set (there are 100) so it takes us approximately two more years to finish those.

Thanks for the info!

I realize that HOP is Hooked on Phonics, as we use it. However, I'm wondering what the 4 and 5 are. I thought HOP only went up to second grade? Are you using an older version that was numbered differently?

We're going to continue with the things we used in kindy moving on to the next level as needed: Singapore, Miquon, FLL, WWE, AAS. In the case of history when we finish Adventure in America, we'll start SOTW1. We'll also continue trampoline class for PE and might add a sports class.

We're adding a mix of BFSU & RSO life science either on our own or with a group of friends in a weekly kinda thing.

Other things being considered... violin, cello or drum lessons (Yes, I will be purchasing ear plugs!!), Lollipop Logic, Song School Latin, Wordly Wise and Leading Little Ones.

Thank you for this...just found the lessons in Teacher FileBox! :D

Rylee is a young first grader... but here's what she is currently using:

Bible: Leading Little Ones To God; Big Truths For Little Kids; Bible Verse Memorization; Books of the Bible (and scripture finding challenges); A Childs Book of Character Buiding

Phonics: Explode the Code (finish through book 8)

Reading: Lots of her reading to me (working on fluency), read aloud books and silent reading books; Reading for the Gifted Student; Evan Moor Daily Comprehension 2; Homeschool Share Literature Units

Grammar: FLL; GWG

Writing: Manuscript Copywork, Narration, Dictation; WWW

Spelling: AAS; Weekly word lists (Evan Moor)

Math: Living Math Books to introduce new concepts; games/manipulatives/hands on materials used to reinforce and master concepts; Singapore (started in 1A currently about to finish up 1B and move to 2A); LOF; Primary Math Challange (Zaccaro); additional 'stuff' from Evan Moor

Science: Biology - Animal, Plant, Human Body (put together myself with various living books, hands on activities, experiments); Nature Study

World History: Story of the World 1

United States History: Using various resources, living books, hands on activities to study from discovery to today (including studying each state as added to the union and Presidents)

Geography: Evan Moor Beginning Geography; Little Passports

Critical Thinking: Lollipop Logic; printables - Logic Puzzles; Soduko; etc...; Evan Moor Critical Thinking

Typing: Typing Instructor for Kids

Latin: Song School Latin

Sign Language: Signing Time

Art: Artist Study (using various resources); How to teach art to children; Additional kits such as learning to draw/sketch, drawing people, learning to use watercolors/soft pastels/color pencils/watercolor pencils......

Poetry: Poet Studies (using various resources); Memorize 8 Poems

Music: Hymn Study; Basic Singing Technique and Posture; Composer Study; Piano Lessons

My plans are still not refined, but I enjoyed reading everyone else's!

What I learned from this year is to start simple, add more later. So, our tentative plans:

Writing With Ease 1

First Language Lessons 1

Story of the World 1 with Activity Book

Mortensen Math with bits of others thrown in (Montessori or Miquon)

*I'm most unsure about math. I LOVE math, and DS does too. Sometimes I wish we had a program with "proper" grade levels just for that sense of accomplishment. But somehow, the other side keeps winning. :) I will probably end up printing out 1st grade (or higher, as needed) core math curriculum goals to check off.

Science - Nature Studies with this book as a spine, with fun stuff from this book, plus lots of library books when we want to follow certain interests. :) We've used a lot of Montessori science materials and will probably do extensions of those, but it will be low-key.

D'Nealian Handwriting/Copywork...I think.

All About Spelling 2, when we get to it.

Finish Song School Latin, maybe. This was actually my biggest regret this year, and right now I only do it on request. We will do Latin, but maybe I will just wait and follow WTM suggestions. Retention was low and I'm just not sure it was worth our time.

Art is taking a back seat. We may add something in, we may not. If we do, it's likely to be Artistic Pursuits or Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain (used as a spine for ME to read and develop lessons).

Music is also a maybe (as a formal subject). I'd most prefer instrument lessons, but we will see. DS is attending a music summer camp which introduces several different instruments. If he gravitates to one, we'll probably begin formal lessons. If not, music will probably be on the back-burner this year.

We're using:

M-W:

Phonics Road 1

ETC

New American Cursive

Copywork - I make this up

MP lit guide for 1st

Prima Latina

Rightstart B (MM supplement)

Daily devotional (almost done with 5 Minute Devotions, about to start Leading Little Ones to God)

reading Classic books, fairy tales, et.

on Fridays:

Apologia Zoo 3

SOTW 1

Art (picture study)

Music (a composer study)

We school 4 days a week and have a Bible Study class on Thursday mornings. We also study Portuguese, usually by me reading them stories, or them watching movies. I also try and only speak Portuguese in the afternoons.

It sounds like a lot, but school takes, at maximum, 2 hours/day.

Science - Nature Studies with this book as a spine,

thank you so much for posting this! I have been looking for something to use for nature studies. :D

We will officially start 1st grade in the fall, but we will start a few things this summer, since we are going to school year round.

Literature: I'm working on a list that is based on suggestions from ambleside online

LA: MCT island

Math: MM & BA

History: SOTW 1 supplemented with living books & geography studies

Science: combo of nature studies and little units on topics of interest

Latin: either gswl or minimus - cant decide.

French: going to try alex et Zoe.

writing: HWT 1st grade

Art: natural handicraft type things & picture studies

Music: drum lessons and Suzuki bass

I think that's everything....not including random sports activities throughout the year.

Edited by Runningmom80

My plans for 1st next year (still a way away - but I've needed to plan early this year...)

LLATL Red

WWE1

Singapore Maths (where ever we are up to, probably 1B/2A)

Miquon Maths

That's all the curriculum I'll be scheduling. He will tag along with DD in history & science. He will also continue with Violin lessons.

There'll also be a good mix of logic stuff (puzzles, meccano etc.) and bible study/memory verses.

Math: Finishing CLE 100 and moving into CLE 200

LA: Finishing CLE LTR and moving into ??? Possibly FLL I&II or ???

Handwriting: CLE Manuscript

Spelling: Spelling Workout

History: SOTW I (second time through the cycle since she has tagged along w/ DS)

Geography: Evan Moor Beginning Geography

Science: The Young Scientists Club kits with living books

Music: piano lessons and The Story of the Orchestra

Art: ???? Hoping to find an art class/camp to fill this hole

PE: Scottish Highland Dance, rock climbing, seasonal sports

How long do you all plan on schooling everyday?

My rule of thumb is, about an hour a day of academics per grade level, topping out around 8 hours a day by high school. So, my first grader next year will do about an hour, and my seventh grader will do about six or seven hours.

My first grade plan for next year -

Saxon math (about 15 minutes)

Saxon phonics (about 15 minutes)

WWE 1 (I'm guessing about 15 minutes?)

FLL 1 (also guessing about 15 minutes?)

We will also continue with art class and Chinese class and reading lots and lots of picture books, but my son doesn't treat those like 'work' so I don't count them as formal academics. In with the lots of picture books, we will probably also read a lot of the suggested books from SotW Ancients and maybe do some of the crafts that sound fun, but only the stuff we think is fun.

My rule of thumb is, about an hour a day of academics per grade level, topping out around 8 hours a day by high school. So, my first grader next year will do about an hour, and my seventh grader will do about six or seven hours.

My first grade plan for next year -

Saxon math (about 15 minutes)

Saxon phonics (about 15 minutes)

WWE 1 (I'm guessing about 15 minutes?)

FLL 1 (also guessing about 15 minutes?)

We will also continue with art class and Chinese class and reading lots and lots of picture books, but my son doesn't treat those like 'work' so I don't count them as formal academics. In with the lots of picture books, we will probably also read a lot of the suggested books from SotW Ancients and maybe do some of the crafts that sound fun, but only the stuff we think is fun.

I would like to keep school to an hour, but I think I have too much stuff planned. I'm a little over zealous. :lol:

Tentative:

Math: Tokyo Shoseki 2, Two plus Two is Not Five (for drill), Kumon

Reading: McGuffey Reader. We're doing one now, so IYH two in the fall. Webster for drill.

Hebrew: I have to figure something out for this.

LA: Emma Serl

History: Dent's Second Canadian Reader

um....A LOT lol. We have lots of supplemental programs on top of our main programs, its our first time with 1st grade, so theres a few places where we chose multiple curriculums, have scheduled both in, but if one doesn't work for her, then she can stop it and continue on with the other with no "gap" period.

I also mesh/nitpick at programs/supplements for Science & History. This allows us the greatest choice for how to teach each subject.

I'd forget half of them if I tried to write it down, but heres my "Current Curriculum" Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/missed/current-curriculum/

xxx

Wow...everyone seems to have an extensive list :0)

For my 1st grader, we will be using :

McRuffy Math

McRuffy Phonics, Reading, Spelling and Handwriting

Science : Nancy Larson Science 2

ETC 2

I want to focus on the 3 Rs for another year and then we will start some light history and geography.

Julia

In the a.m.

Finish up OPGTR with a bit of ETC for reinforcement

MM/Miquon

After lunch

I plan to do Hogwarts Correspondence School for science, copywork and more.

I posted the full course load here on my blog.

That looks AWESOME! My almost-6 yr. old doesn't have any clue about who/what HP is...but I'm a big fan! *I* want to do Hogwarts Corresp. School!

We school year round so some of the things listed are continuations, for instance we will continue through a Child's History of The World until finished, but 1st grade officially starts in 2 weeks.

.PAL reading and writing

.Ambleside Online combined with WTM style history and science. (We seem to be the only family whose children do this :confused:At Paddle to the Sea)

.MEP math supplemented with Miquon and LOF and any other library math books- my two littlest love Math.

.German with mom

.Piano with biggest sister

.Nature walks and Music rotation.

.Children's Story Bilble and a lot of memorization.

DD7 was a young 1st grader last year, we used:

History/Lit- Sonlight Core B, She also listened too and read SOTW 1 & 2

Bible- Leading Little ones to God, Mom made bible reading/activities,

Math- Singapore 1A/B

Grammar- FLL1

Writing- WWE1, Writers Notebook

Spelling- Sequential Spelling

Handwriting- Started the year without it (she had great handwriting) then She asked me to teach her cursive

Science- Noeo Biology 1, Nature Study

Reading Comprehension- Memoria Press 1st grade Literature

Latin- Song School Latin

Music/Art- Harmony Art Mom's 1st grade Overview, Hymns for a Kid's Heart

Sign Language- Various books and DVD's I found, I also taught her.

Geography- Evan Moor Geography

Logic- Lollipop Logic and other logic books

Co-op Classes- Art, P.E, Drama with Bible Stories

Extra- Piano Lessons, Ballet, Soccer

For my *very* different young 1st grader in the fall (so far, might add more)..

Math- Rightstart B and MFW 1st

Phonics/Bible/Art/Music- MFW 1st

Handwriting- Cursive First

History/Geography- Roadtrip USA

Science- Noeo Chemistry 1, MFW 1st

Laitin- Song School Latin

Co-op Classes- Art,

Extra- Dance, Soccer

Edited by Jinmi