Menu

Spinoff question--discrimination against Christians?

In some ways it's very subtle: "Holiday [cards, gifts, etc.] instead of Christmas trees, Christmas cards, Christmas parties. (A big shopping center here in town puts up a "Community Tree." Really? :glare:)

Sorry, I don't see it. I can walk through any store around Christmas and see a huge selection of cards that say, "Merry Christmas" or some other greeting that specifically mentions Christianity or Christ. The word I drive past multiple Christian stores that stock nothing but that sort of material. Right now there is Easter candy/etc everywhere (note that it isn't Equinox candy ;)). I am not sure why Christians feel "holiday" in reference to their religious holidays is offensive. From the etymological dictionary (http://www.etymonline.com/):

holiday

1500s, earlier haliday (c.1200), from O.E. haligdĂƒÂ¦g "holy day; Sabbath," from halig "holy" (see holy) + dĂƒÂ¦g "day" (see day); in 14c. meaning both "religious festival" and "day of recreation," but pronunciation and sense diverged 16c. As a verb meaning "to pass the holidays" by 1869.

Christmas carols not sung in schools, football players mocked for praying before a game. In some ways it's more obvious: students not being allowed to pray at high school graduations, the White House not holding its annual day of prayer

I'm not sure why some Christians consider it discrimination when they are no longer allowed *sole* access to this sort of thing *sponsored and paid for by the government at government-funded activities." It is not discrimination, it's expecting Christians to live under the same guidelines that people of all other religions (or none) have been living. Christians are not being denied this while all other groups are conspicuously given these opportunities.

, people being fined for having Bible studies in their homes

I assume you are referring to this story http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-319320-fromms-bible.html about the California family. If not, please link to the one you meant. This is not the police busting down doors to drag people to jail because they are having a Christian meeting. The city responded, as it should, to a complaint filed by a neighbor of the family. Looks to me like the neighbor did not move into an area zoned for regular large group meetings and resents this happening next door to him in violation of zoning laws (this Bible study is larger than some churches I've attended, since it involves 40-50 weekly). I don't see it as about Bible study, more about the family trying to use religion as an excuse to ignore zoning laws regarding regular large group meetings. They had and have an opportunity to apply for a permit to allow the usage of the house for this purpose, but are not doing so.

The couple dropped their lawsuit after the city agreed to reimburse the fine and is amending its zoning laws to be more clear. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/city-327856-bible-sandoval.htmlhttp://www.ocregister.com/news/city-334109-code-gatherings.html

"City Attorney Omar Sandoval said the city never had an issue with Bible studies, but the Fromms' gatherings grew so large that the city had to ask questions."

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying, "geez" is a meaningless exclamation. Saying, "Jew them down" is an insult implying that Jewish people are cheap. You seriously cannot see the difference?

I do believe all religions deserve respect. I am a Christian. I could not care less if people say, "geez."

"Thou Shalt Not Take the Name of the Lord Thy God in Vain" is kind of important to a lot of Christians.

Just because you consider "Geez" meaningless does not mean it's not insensitive to say it around people who consider it disrespectful. You get a pass if you never realized it before, but once you realize it, you make a choice to potentially offend if you say it. IMO.

I know if you try to find an alternative to "jeez," it's hard to, isn't it? They all seem to be different ways to "indirectly" break the 2nd(?) commandment. That kind of bothers me. Nobody here created this problem, of course, but it's something that gets to me sometimes.

You know, sometimes with the idea of 'no religious songs in schools' thing, I wonder how far that would go.

A large portion of the most beautiful music we sang in high school choir was religious in its beginnings. True, lots of it is in Latin (or, in the case of the gorgeous song from my senior year, Russian), but would those pieces be left out because of their 'religious' nature? If so, that's a shame. :( They'd be losing a LOT of wonderful music that way.

ETA: I didn't realize that was what 'geez' was, either. I always have, however, known that 'Oh my God' was taking the Lord's name in vain. DS8 fussed at someone for saying OMG because it was the same as saying it. :) But it was a Christian he was talking to...if someone says it, it doesn't really bother me. I just don't, and am teaching my kids not to.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

OK, but when you think about it, what else could it mean?

It might have meant that in 1850, but it has joined the language as a mere ejaculation. A nationwide poll would not bear out that when people say "gee whiz" they are trying to say Jesus without saying Jesus. If I want to walk around being offended when people say "oops", I sure can, but it won't win any admiration of my reasonableness.

On the bold: No, it is not. It's still not persectution or discrimination.

The irony is striking, though. Sexual minorities face persecution and discrimination (sometimes daily) over this issue but YOU would like to frame my posts as being persecution or discrimination?

Finally, not everyone who is Christian believes 1) Jesus taught against it and 2) not agreeing that homosexuality is a sin "goes against the bible".

Pardon my ignorance, but in what part of the Bible did Jesus declare his opinion about homosexuals? Link? Cite? Source?

Yes, for all the Aztecs who still worship Quetzalcoatl.

Yo, that is seriously disrespecting my religion. I'm like 1/20,000th Aztec on my inbred cousin's side, but we've been keeping up with Quetzalcoatl for years! Dude is LONELY. :lol::tongue_smilie::lol:

I'm pretty sure that isn't what I said. Which other religious group decorates a tree, puts gifts around it, and opens the gifts on December 25, the day that Christians have long recognized as the birth of the Savior? Why would Jews or Muslims (or any other religious group) care that the shopping center put up a Christmas tree? If the shopping center also wants to do a Hannaka (sorry--I know that's misspelled) event, that would be fine, but how is disguising Christmas as a community event in general not discrimination?

It is certainly what you implied. Again, in what way is recognizing that other religions celebrate holidays around the same time discriminating against Christians? You do realize that non-Christians also put up trees and exchange gifts, right?

I find it amusing you commented in your original post about "holiday" gifts, cards, and parties, yet only focus on the community tree when you try and deflect what you said. Only Christians have parties, send cards, and give gifts at that time of year? Right.:lol:

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that, either. There has historically been a day of prayer at the White House for many, many years. No one except this Administration has had a problem with it.

And how is that discriminating against Christians? Why should our president be involved in a day of prayer?

Yes, I do. And no, I don't think I've misrepresented it.

You most certainly did. The Bible studies that have been asked not to meet have been due to parking/zoning issues. Nothing to do with the faith involved at all.

Yet again, I'm pretty sure I didn't say that.

You certainly implied it again.

Since you don't live in San Jose, you're unaware of the whole thing that happened there (I didn't say the Nativity was removed from private property. It was removed from a Christmas in the Park event, held in the middle of downtown San Jose, which had been held every year for many years). I won't try to enlighten you. What's wrong with Christian symbols being placed on public property when the history of our country is full of Christian symbols? When most people in the country self-identify as Christians? When it was taxes paid by Christians which paid for not only the Christian symbol but also the property it was placed on?

Why? Because taxpayer funds should not be used to push a particular religion, even if it is one held by the majority of the population.

I answer your questions without hostility or sarcasm, truly trying to answer what you asked. Discrimination takes many forms, including comments like yours, which almost ignore what was actually said and put a weird spin on the original comments.

Weird spin? :lol: All you have done if firmly demonstrated that you have no idea of what discrimination really is.

Have a nice day. I'm finished.

That is usually the nest response to have when you hold an indefensible position.

"Thou Shalt Not Take the Name of the Lord Thy God in Vain" is kind of important to a lot of Christians.

Just because you consider "Geez" meaningless does not mean it's not insensitive to say it around people who consider it disrespectful. You get a pass if you never realized it before, but once you realize it, you make a choice to potentially offend if you say it. IMO.

I know if you try to find an alternative to "jeez," it's hard to, isn't it? They all seem to be different ways to "indirectly" break the 2nd(?) commandment. That kind of bothers me. Nobody here created this problem, of course, but it's something that gets to me sometimes.

It's a shortened form of gee whiz. Done.

Apparently I'm the only person here whose parents pointed out to me that "gee," "jeez," and various other exclamations are just watered-down versions of "Jesus" and "God."

ETA: minced oaths, I guess they are called.

Edited by SKL

A, B, C, D, E, F, "Gee"?

Seriously, most people mean nothing beyond that. Why decide you are going to be offended by something like that?

I would like to start a movement that not only provides a handy substitute for "Gee whiz" or "Jeez" and which simultaneously recognizes the under-recognized Mexican god: I propose that as an exclamation, we now start to say "Q."

Example: "Hey, Bob, did you forget that today is Plumed Serpent Day?"

Bob: "Oh, Q! I knew I should've written it on the calendar!"

Note: Quetzalcoatl does not mind if you take his name in vain. He kinda likes it.

Apparently I'm the only person here whose parents pointed out to me that "gee," "jeez," and various other exclamations are just watered-down versions of "Jesus" and "God."

Nope, mine did too.

We don't say 'geez/jeez here either. Or gosh. Or OMG.

But it's not the end of the world if my kids hear gosh or something. That's unavoidable. As is hearing people exclaim "OMG" . Which IS worse, IMO, and which I do believe is blasphemy.

Am I giving a blessing every time I say "goodbye"?

How about "Hello"? What is the origin of that word? It has "hell" in it. I'm dead serious here, I had no idea "gee" was bad and now I'm wondering what other entirely meaningless-to-me syllables have been offending people.

Well yeah, but what do you think "Gee" is?

Um, a 3-letter sound owing nothing to Jesus it at least 150 years.

Also, when I use OMG I'm actually using the plural and referring to those I recognize and not referring to the not so creatively named God of the Christian religion.

I would like to start a movement that not only provides a handy substitute for "Gee whiz" or "Jeez" and which simultaneously recognizes the under-recognized Mexican god: I propose that as an exclamation, we now start to say "Q."

Note: Quetzalcoatl does not mind if you take his name in vain. He kinda likes it.

Quetz! would work better. We seem to like our verbal ejaculations to end with a hard, usually sharp sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joanne

On the bold: No, it is not. It's still not persectution or discrimination.

The irony is striking, though. Sexual minorities face persecution and discrimination (sometimes daily) over this issue but YOU would like to frame my posts as being persecution or discrimination?

Finally, not everyone who is Christian believes 1) Jesus taught against it and 2) not agreeing that homosexuality is a sin "goes against the bible".

Pardon my ignorance, but in what part of the Bible did Jesus declare his opinion about homosexuals? Link? Cite? Source?

You quoted me as a jumping off place to clarify, correct? Because I want to be clear that *I* am not saying Jesus stated anything against homosexualitly.

Shh! Do you have any idea of the benefits of having the sole attention of a neglected god? Don't take away my miracles!! :lol:

Can you believe the religious-belief bashing going on right here on this religious-belief bashing thread?

I just got insulted multiple times for my belief about one of the Ten Commandments.

Like I said... Socially acceptable. :glare:

FTR, I never knew anyone was offended by geez either, but I don't think you should be mocked because it offends you or because you teach your kids not to say it.

Well the cat is out of the bag now....I've been shopping around for years for a responsive god.

I guess that's what I get for putting my secret out on the board without telling people I would edit out later and please do not quote. :glare:

I don't see any of the examples that people have provided as evidence of "discrimination" against Christians or their religion as discrimination. As others have said, many people seem to be confusing being treated equally with being discriminated against.

If you want an example of actual discrimination, until recently I as an atheist was ineligible by law to be elected to pubic office in the state of North Carolina, where I live. Imagine the outrage among Christians if the tables were turned and Christians had been legally ineligible to hold public office. Now *that's* discrimination.

I don't see examples here of non-Christians forcing Christians to accept non-Christian beliefs in their private lives. I do see examples of some Christians that apparently believe it's justifiable to force their beliefs on others, in both the private and public spheres. Government should be entirely neutral.

FTR, I never knew anyone was offended by geez either, but I don't think you should be mocked because it offends you or because you teach your kids not to say it.

:iagree:

I don't see any of the examples that people have provided as evidence of "discrimination" against Christians or their religion as discrimination. As others have said, many people seem to be confusing being treated equally with being discriminated against.

If you want an example of actual discrimination, until recently I as an atheist was ineligible by law to be elected to pubic office in the state of North Carolina, where I live. Imagine the outrage among Christians if the tables were turned and Christians had been legally ineligible to hold public office. Now *that's* discrimination.

I don't see examples here of non-Christians forcing Christians to accept non-Christian beliefs in their private lives. I do see examples of some Christians that apparently believe it's justifiable to force their beliefs on others, in both the private and public spheres. Government should be entirely neutral.

I think you've provided an absolutely crucial distinction here. Thank you.

Am I giving a blessing every time I say "goodbye"?

Well, my father at one point forbade us to say "Bless you" when someone sneezed because it was "God bless you" and, if the person wasn't *really* Christian, you were commanding God to bless them even though he wouldn't, so it was blasphemy. He included "Gesundheit" as well, because "it means the same thing" and you were still blaspheming, just trying to use different words to sound as if you weren't (though it actually translates to "good health").

Out of curiosity, if hearing "jeez" is a problem, do you have issues with your children studying Shakespeare? It's rampant with all kinds of minced oaths.

If anyone wants to avoid any possible phrase that is used as an exclamation that might have had some connection with religion in its origins, here's a place to start:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/minced-oath.html I'm sure there are more.

Oh, yeah. I also disagree that religions should be treated with respect. Religions are not, nor should they be, immune from criticism, however disrespectful. I consider all religions to be ridiculous, just as many religious believers consider religions other than their own to be ridiculous. No religion deserves a free pass, no matter how sincerely its members believe it to be true.

:iagree:

I was just granted the right to marry in my state last summer. My marriage is not federally recognized, so if I move to another state, I will no longer be married. I admit, it makes it pretty hard to hear people complaining that "Happy Holiday" cards are discriminatory. Especially since I know there are plenty of Christian-oriented ones out there - I get at least 2 dozen of them every year...

I'm pretty sure that isn't what I said. Which other religious group decorates a tree, puts gifts around it, and opens the gifts on December 25, the day that Christians have long recognized as the birth of the Savior? Why would Jews or Muslims (or any other religious group) care that the shopping center put up a Christmas tree? If the shopping center also wants to do a Hannaka (sorry--I know that's misspelled) event, that would be fine, but how is disguising Christmas as a community event in general not discrimination?

Mid-winter festivals have been important in nearly *all* cultures. Because Christmas was so prominent for so long, many of its trappings have been incorporated into every day life. Of course, Christians owe many of those trappings to pagan religions. Romans, Egyptians, lots of different religions have used evergreen boughs as symbols of life in winter. That's not something that exclusively Christian. These trappings have been folded into modern secular life. The fact that there is a Christmas tree in the mall proves the *opposite* of what you are arguing. The fact that some people may call it a holiday tree has *zero* affect on you or me. I'm going to call it a Christmas tree. The people at the mall do not care, I promise.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that, either. There has historically been a day of prayer at the White House for many, many years. No one except this Administration has had a problem with it.
Stop spreading falsehoods.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/obama-issues-national-day-of-prayer-proclamation-50050/

I *disagree* with you (and your parents) that "geez" has anything to do with blasphemy in this day and age. You can choose to walk around being constantly offended by people who mean you no harm. But, it is the sort of thing that makes Christians look like the boy who cried wolf. That's why *I* choose not to be offended by such trifles.

People are teasing her because she is so insistent that other adults should not say it. That is different than people mocking her religion.

Oh, yeah. I also disagree that religions should be treated with respect. Religions are not, nor should they be, immune from criticism, however disrespectful. I consider all religions to be ridiculous, just as many religious believers consider religions other than their own to be ridiculous. No religion deserves a free pass, no matter how sincerely its members believe it to be true.

A free pass to do what? Practice their religion without being continually mocked? Is that so hard, really? Personally, I think atheists are ridiculous but my mom taught me enough about good manners that I don't USUALLY say so (in fact, this is the first time I have ever typed it out).

What some are describing as discrimination may not be so in a legal sense but the way some people mock and scorn anyone who is religious just shows what little class they have.

Out of curiosity, if hearing "jeez" is a problem, do you have issues with your children studying Shakespeare? It's rampant with all kinds of minced oaths.

My kids will even read Huckleberry Finn, just like I did. Reading literature and consciously thinking about how people spoke, thought, and acted in a historical setting is different from being taught/allowed to say something unthinkingly on a day-to-day basis.

So, you're willing to be mocked for your lack of faith then? That's ok? And ppl can be as disrespectful as they like?

Seriously?

I consider it a complete lack of manners, common courtesy, and simple basic respect to mock or disrespect *anyones* belief, or lack thereof.

What's so difficult about basic courtesy and politeness?

Well, before this thread gets closed I'll go on the record to say I'm shocked how many people didn't know that Jeez (yes, you can change it to a "G", if you must) is a euphemism for Jesus the Christ.

It is offensive to many. But from my experience here, the truly conservative folks stay out of these threads. They almost always turn into mockery.

Respect I can do. I think a better word here would be reverence, perhaps? Religion doesn't get to be the special cupcake that's never criticized, but basic respect and manners still apply.

Fair enough. But couldn't we just say "I disagree with you" or "let's agree to disagree" instead of making fun of her?

All *I* said was that I disagree with her.

Well, before this thread gets closed I'll go on the record to say I'm shocked how many people didn't know that Jeez (yes, you can change it to a "G", if you must) is a euphemism for Jesus the Christ.

It is offensive to many. But from my experience here, the truly conservative folks stay out of these threads. They almost always turn into mockery.

If you want to be offended, then you can. But, why take offense when there has been a big enough language shift that most people don't connect the two? There's no point in walking around looking for things to be offended about.

Interesting.

And of course, now I'm wondering if I'm not 'truly conservative', since I've been reading and posted on this thread... :lol:

People are teasing her because she is so insistent that other adults should not say it. That is different than people mocking her religion.

As I pointed out, this does not offend "my religion" because I do not even consider myself a Christian. It is inappropriate to speak this way because it is disrespectful of many people's religion. You have seen that I'm not the only person who was taught this way, or who is trying to raise kids to not speak this way. I completely understand that many people did not know the origin of these "words." My original point was that if this were a concern of any group other than Christians, there would have been a movement against this by now - as there has been against other words that people previously did not consider inappropriate. As you can see, it does not matter if Christians are hurt by unthinking words and comments. Christians alone need to get over themselves.

Interesting.

And of course, now I'm wondering if I'm not 'truly conservative', since I've been reading and posted on this thread... :lol:

:tongue_smilie: exactly. I must not be truly conservative either. I went to a hyper-conservative, massively legalistic church that controlled everything you wore, did, and said, and I still had no idea that geez or jeez was wrong. Not saying it isn't...just that I had no idea.

How about "Hello"? What is the origin of that word? It has "hell" in it. I'm dead serious here, I had no idea "gee" was bad and now I'm wondering what other entirely meaningless-to-me syllables have been offending people.

Honestly, I have never thought of gee or geez as bad either. Or heck. Or gosh. Or golly. Actually, I always thought of them as sort of quaint and mild.

Goodbye, however, means God be with you. At least that's what my grandfather says. So maybe we should be careful with that one.

But, why take offense when there has been a big enough language shift that most people don't connect the two? There's no point in walking around looking for things to be offended about.

Do you feel the same way about "that's so gay," "jew him down," "I'm such a f'n retard," etc.?

My original point was that if this were a concern of any group other than Christians, there would have been a movement against this by now - as there has been against other words that people previously did not consider inappropriate.

And you in no way refuted my rebuttal to your argument. Just because a tiny fraction of Christians choose to be offended, that doesn't automatically make it offensive. The words *you* used are offensive because they are actually insulting people and ascribing certain characteristics to them. These are totally different issues. Editing to add that your post directly above mine is a repeat of your initial argument. I refuted that argument with a logical reason. You ignored it. That's not how back and forth discussions usually work.

Furthermore, I don't get why you are putting this issue under the heading of a Christian issue. Are Christians the only ones who believe in God? No. The only ones who believe in the God of Abraham? No. The only ones who believe in the ten commandments? No. The only ones who are against blasphemy? No. Then, why do you (and others) think saying, "geez" is strictly a Christian issue to begin with?

Do you see the disconnect in what you are saying?

All *I* said was that I disagree with her.

If you want to be offended, then you can. But, why take offense when there has been a big enough language shift that most people don't connect the two? There's no point in walking around looking for things to be offended about.

I'm not looking for ways to be offended. It says right there in the dictionary what it means.

People don't connect the two because they pride themselves more on being well-educated than discerning.