Menu

"Upgrading" an engagement ring

I hate to use the word "upgrade" because I'm not really wanting to make my ring more flashy or get a larger stone.

I have a three stone engagement ring - princess cut in the middle with trillions on either side. It is set in yellow gold and it is set pretty high, high enough that it isn't practical for everyday wear for household chores/around kids.

I lost one of the trillions this past week and I am going to the jeweler tomorrow to look at my options. I'm a little sad though! As much as I can see the practicality and enjoyment in a new ring I feel sentimental about my original engagement ring.

Has anyone "upgraded" their ring? I'm pretty sure I want to go with platinum because I know it withstands a lot more wear and tear. I'm also a little terrified about how much this may cost. Anyone in the know?

I had my diamond reset into platinum (the white gold of my engagement band didn't look good next to my platinum wedding band) and we added two diamonds on either side. Keeping my original diamond was what mattered to me; the setting/band didn't seem as important/sentimental. I bet you'll love it. Your dh is paying for it right? Then it's still from him. :)

I like the channel setting idea.

I have stopped wearing my engagement ring because of prong problems. Last time we had a problem, I had the diamond set lower, but I still worry about it getting bumped or knocked out. My original band fit the contour of the engagement ring and was odd to wear alone. So, I now wear a band that was originally my MIL's. I do miss my engagement ring, but it wasn't very practical.

I think you mean you want a reset? My advice would be to not make a rash decision. Find out your options and then take a few days to decide. Don't let the jeweler pressure you.

If you decide you do want to change it, why don't you take a nice close-up picture of the original ring on your hand (turned so that you can't see the missing stone)? Then you can frame that photo and hang it as art on your wall (possibly in your bedroom). If your husband wants, he can have his hand in the picture, too, under yours.

I just got a new ring right after Christmas:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341216

Because I'm too lazy to find and repost the pic. :tongue_smilie:

The setting is gold, but I do love how flat it is since it doesn't catch on anything. It is already fairly scuffed though. That's one of the drawbacks of it having that wide flat surface I guess. The smaller ring was a separate ring that he attached to it to make it more like a band/engagement ring set (My wedding band was done for also).

At this particular jeweler, platinum was way more pricey than the gold. His sets started @ $8k. And they all stuck way up.

This one looks similar:

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Trellis-Setting-Solitaire-Diamond/dp/B000HANZNW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331002152&sr=8-5

My dh gave me a "mother's ring" which has my and my son's birthstones set in. I wear it instead of my engagement ring because it is flatter and less likely to cause problems. It's a thin, channel set ring that mimics the shape of my wedding ring. I'd like to get a matching ring with my daughter's birthstone, but we haven't found anything similar.

Edited by ErinE

I'm an admin on a diamond forum, so I've seen many, many engagement ring upgrades. I love my original engagement ring and wedding band, but I alternate between a few rings for daily wear.

Are you looking to just replace the trillion and get a new setting, or are you going in thinking you might want something completely different? Maybe a solitaire with the princess cut and have the trillion you have left made into pendant for a necklace? That may be less expensive than finding a trillion to match yours and buying it.

Please don't feel pressured at the jewelry store. I wouldn't make any decisions until you spend a couple of days thinking about it after you talk to them.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. I've spend countless hours over the years chatting about diamonds on the internet. :tongue_smilie:

My wedding set is platinum and the price seems to have gone up considerably. We are looking for an anniversary band to go with it for our 10th this year and it seemed like the anniversary band will be much more expensive than the original set. But I love the platinum and told dh we're just gonna fork over the dough.

I loved my engagement ring but did not really care for the wedding band. After we got married, we put the diamond into a "second wife" setting (lol) and later added a small anniversary band to it.

However, my dh worked in retail jewelry at the time, so we had great discounts.

We "upgraded" my engagement ring about a year ago. My engagement and wedding rings became too tight and I was starting to feel some numbness in my finger. I had the rings cut off. I was thinking of getting just one ring to replace both my wedding band and engagement ring, so I was looking at something along the lines of an anniversary ring. I didn't want to get a ring that looked too much like just an engagement ring because I was planning on not replacing the wedding band.

We went to a "remounting event" at the jewelry store (Zales, which is where we originally bought our rings), I think it was called. They had a lot of rings to choose from without the center stone, so you could have your own put in.

I did get an anniversary ring, and they used my original diamond as the center stone. There are two smaller stones on either side that came with the ring. It was $1,500, which is more than I had planned to spend (but dh liked it and said we could do it so OK!). Then they said they could fix my wedding band for free, so I have that now too.

Both my original engagement ring and the one I have now had high mounts. It did get in my way a lot in the first few years, but this one doesn't so much. I don't know why. I think it's just as high as the other one, except this one has a couple more prongs holding the stone, so that's reassuring at least.

So what's something like platinum cost?

I haven't worn my wedding band/engagement ring for 5 years!!! I want it back badly!

My diamond in the engagement was set really high, one of the prongs bent and the diamond literally fell out in my hand. Took it all off, due to not having any $$ at the time, and no idea how much that would cost to fix. A few years later, when gold was selling really high and we needed the $$,and I knew that I didn't want gold anymore for my rings, I sold the engagement ring (kept the diamond) and sold the wedding band (kept the diamonds).

Sooo, I have all the diamonds, just want them reset into a ring. No idea how I do this, where I go, how it works, or what the cost....so it's not been done even though we may have the funds for it now. Any ideas of cost??

I don't have a photo of my on the pc, but when the miracle of reconciliation happened between my husband and I, he went and bought me the ring I had originally wanted. When we got married 10yrs ago, we didn't have the extra $100 for the ring I wanted with the wedding and out of state move, so we got matching gold bubbled out miligrain comfort edged bands. I had wanted the same thing basically, yellow gold miligrain egding, but with anniversary band diamonds inset into. Nothing big... 1/10th of a Carat. So as a surprise and to show his recommitment to me, he went out and searched out that ring. It wasn't at the same store, and it was harder then you'd think to find that in yellow gold, but he did :)

I'll try to post a picture later....

I have no idea of the cost of resetting, but I want to share the story of dd's engagement ring, because, well, it's the 5th and he died on the 5th and well, I just need to share it. His mom gave Ed HER mother's diamond and he had a family jeweler friend set it into a ring that they designed together. However, he put in some smaller diamonds around it (looks like a river, naturally) and that part was a surprise. He gave it to her under the bridge that's on the WV quarter--we were all SURE he was going to drop it into the river, but he didn't! And she no longer wears it and it breaks my heart...

:grouphug: I remember reading your post with links to others' blogs about his life and death. :grouphug: It must be very hard for your dd. I would probably not want to wear it as a ring, but perhaps on a chain around my neck. Does she kayak anymore?

(While it wasn't your intention at all, it was a contributing factor in not allowing my 12yo to kayak this past summer at Scout camp. I didn't feel like he was ready for the very real danger that one can face on the water. Another child had died just the month before in the very same stretch that the Scouts would be kayaking. That boy was 16 and much more capable at both boating and swimming than my son.)

I thought I would feel the same. But my engagement ring was a very cheap (yes, really) little ring that we could afford when we got engaged (as very young people). A number of years into the marriage, I couldn't get it off my finger one day, and when I did, I discovered that it had somehow been crushed and sort of flattened. (No idea what caused it.) It wouldn't go back on my finger (without major work -- more work than it was worth), so I just handed it to dh. A few months later he surprised me on our anniversary with a *beautiful* platinum ring that I suspect cost a couple of orders of magnitude more than the first. It's gorgeous. ... I would *not* have wanted a ring like that when we first got married -- the frivolity of spending that much when we had so many other expenses would have been insane -- but now that we could afford it, and now that we'd been married for quite some time, it really did make me feel special. I love this ring. ... I guess I sort of think of it as my "adult" ring. :) It replaced the one I'd chosen when we were barely past being children ourselves. :o)

Anyway, it used to matter to me that I keep the same ring for always. Certainly I never see replacing this one. But each ring has its own sentiment associated with it.

I have no idea of the cost of resetting, but I want to share the story of dd's engagement ring, because, well, it's the 5th and he died on the 5th and well, I just need to share it. His mom gave Ed HER mother's diamond and he had a family jeweler friend set it into a ring that they designed together. However, he put in some smaller diamonds around it (looks like a river, naturally) and that part was a surprise. He gave it to her under the bridge that's on the WV quarter--we were all SURE he was going to drop it into the river, but he didn't! And she no longer wears it and it breaks my heart...

Margaret,

She is starting to get ready to let the river flow by. Let her move on. That ring will be a treasure she will share with her daughter one day.

Due to a very unfortunate event with a jeweler, I no longer have my original engagement ring and wedding band. I was devastated and thought I wouldn't want anything else. After a long time passed, DH took me out several times to look for something new but I never found anything I liked. Looking back, I think my heart just wasn't into shopping for a new one yet. I just wanted my originals.

A couple of years later, we found a ring that I fell in love with only to find out it was way out of our budget. That ring set me on the right path though. So fast forward a couple of years after that, and I was finally ready to work on a new ring set. It took a lot of research and time, but I ended up with rings that I love and they make me smile each time I look at them.

So what I'm trying to say is, take your time and don't let anyone influence your decision. You'll know it's right when you see it or when the idea comes to you.