Menu

What grade level would you consider the book The Outsiders by S.E Hinton?

I have a friends whose dd is in 9th grade at the local highschool and we were talking about school. She took exams for English 9A this past week. I found out in that class the only novel they read was The Outsiders by S.E Hinton. Their exam included the district exam (all multiple choice/true & false questions) and The Outsiders exam and an essay about The Outsiders and it was open book. :001_huh:

I definitely do not think this is a highschool level book! But maybe I'm wrong, I have strong readers.

Wondering what grade level you consider it?

I have a friends whose dd is in 9th grade at the local highschool and we were talking about school. She took exams for English 9A this past week. I found out in that class the only novel they read was The Outsiders by S.E Hinton. Their exam included the district exam (all multiple choice/true & false questions) and The Outsiders exam and an essay about The Outsiders and it was open book. :001_huh:

I definitely do not think this is a highschool level book! But maybe I'm wrong, I have strong readers.

I read it in 6th grade, I believe.

Accelerated readers rates the reading level at 4.7 (grade 4, seventh month) with a interest level of upper grades (grade 9 to 12)

http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx

Thank you for posting this link! I found this site a few years ago and someone forgot what it was, and have looked for it many times since then. Now it is bookmarked and saved in a couple of other places for good measure.

I remember reading it in middle school.

We read it in 8th or 9th. I remember reading Tom Sawyer aloud in English class in 8th, which also seems like a much lower reading level. It wasn't until highschool that we were expected to read anything on our own time and come to class already read (and that may have just been the honors classes).