Menu

question about hotel suites

We are considering a hotel suite, but when I look online at pictures, some of the rooms have a door between the living space and the sleeping space, sone do not. Some have kitchens (or kitchenettes) and some don't. Are there certain hotels that are known for certain types of suites? What would be ideal is a suite with a door between the sleeping space and the living space and a small kitchette...or kitchen. But we can't afford to spend much...like $110 or so....(we live in Nebraska). Does anybody have a suggestion for me??

It is hard to find true suites. I think it is more common to find 2 different hotel rooms that are connected by a door. Extended stay hotels and their affiliates have kitchenettes in most of their rooms. I am staying in a red roof inn that has a kitchenette but that is not common for this chain. They would both meet your price requirements. From what I have seen true suites with kitchens are found in big tourist areas like Daytona Beach or near Disney. I have travelled a lot and we have had to find hotels to stay longer term with kitchens while dh is working. He has gluten issues so eating out is difficult. We also need hotels that accept dogs and both Extended Stays and Red Roof Inns do.

Good luck on getting more answers, I am always looking for more options.

It varies even within chains. You almost have to call and ensure you're going to get what you want for the advertised price. It frustrates the **** out of me to search for suites and get shown rooms that are just a little extra big with a small half wall between the bed and sitting area and call that a suite. Um, no. I need a second ROOM to put my children in so that my dh and I don't have to go to bed at 8:30, tyvm. :lol

Good luck!

Hilton Homewood Suites, Marriott Residence Inn, and Marriott Town Place Suites have kitchens and separate bedrooms. However, your price depends on where you are going and when. We stayed at a Residence Inn in Albany, NY, for $89 a night. However, we have paid anywhere from $149 to $279 a night for a 2-bedroom everywhere else.

thank you thank you thank you!! I plan to carve out some time today and make some calls. Another quick question....the dates that we need the room are the same as the big basketball tourn. in Omaha and there are lots of hotels that will be booked. Should I still wait until closer to the date to get the best price...or do you think it really won't matter???

Marriott Residence Inns and Town Place Suites are your best bet, as far as I know. We've also stayed at some Holiday Inn Express hotels that have doors between the bedroom and main room, although they do not have full kitchens -- usually just microwave and coffeemaker, sometimes a small fridge.

Different hotels have different "suites". Most hotels we stay in have a half wall dividing the main sleeping area and the sleeper sofa area. Some offered kitchenettes other do not. You may have to call to verify what you are getting. Most offer a complimentary breakfast.

Call and ASK. Even within hotel chains, we've run across situations where the building was originally built for a different company or some other circumstance has caused them *not* to have two separate rooms with a door. It's very frustrating to reserve and pay for a suite (thinking the some family members can go to bed in one room while others stay up quietly in the other), only to find that it's really just a single room.

We've had consistently good luck with Embassy Suites. AmeriSuites aren't suites at all. But CALL and ask about the rooms in any particular hotel.

Staybridge Suites by Holiday Inn have the separate bedrooms as long as you don't get a studio. We just stayed in a two bedroom one that my dh got a deal on for $85/night including tax. I'm a bit of a hotel snob and it wasn't too bad. My dh travels a lot and he would recommend Staybridge Suites, Residence Inn, or Homewood Suites. He said that Staybridge usually has the best bang for the buck.

Embassy suites, too, are true suites.

Comfort Suites are usually the fake ones, as are "suites" in hotel chains that only have a small number of suites-the exception seems to be Drury Hotels, where the suites often seem to have originally been two hotel rooms that they renovated into a suite (Drury is one of my favorite chains, both for this reason and because they do both a hot breakfast and the 5:30 kickback, which is a light meal. Not the most nutritious food, but when traveling with kids it's great.)

I like residence inn's (and have stayed in others). some have two bedrooms - each with their own bathroom. the full kitchen and living room are seperate. they also include a hot breakfast buffet. size of the suite has varied according to the city we were in.

where we end up does greatly vary in availability as we tend towards off the beaten path for locals. sometimes a rental house is a great deal, though there is no maid service.

eta; do call and ask the hotel chain about what they have. In canada, we stayed in a motel six suite that was one bedroom, then a large living room with two sleeper sofa's and a seperate kitchen. (no dishwasher)

Edited by gardenmom5

Yes, the Residence Inn comes with a hot breakfast, and also a light supper on Sunday through Thursday evenings.

Same for Homewood Suites. Sometimes, depending on the hotel, the light supper is hot dogs and chips.

When we moved here we stayed in what I would call a small apartment that was considered a suite at a regular hotel. It had a living room with kitchenette, a bathroom and two seperate bedrooms with doors and it accepted animals. The girls shared one room and hubby and I took the other. I think that there was a pull out couch in the living room as well. We stayed there for about two months and it was perfectly comfortable for the entire time. I think that they took two different suites and put them together to make that one and it was the only one like that that they had. It was usually leased by corporations for transfers so I don't know if an individual could get something like that. I think the chain was American Suites. We have moved a lot and we have stayed in many suites. Most had a seperate living/kitchen area and then sleeping area. That was the biggest/best one though. You can usually get a copy of the actual floorplan and pictures and reserve a specific room with a deposit.

Springhill suites is usually the NOT REAL kind of suite with a half wall that seperates...at least the ones we have stayed at.

Huh? I don't know if this was addressed to me but if so I don't understand what you are trying to say. :confused: I don't know what you mean.

I had good luck with Embassy Suites (in Portland, Oregon). They had a very nice breakfast on the weekend too. That greatly reduces our food cost when we travel so I am willing to pay more for a room. The last one we stayed in had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, with a kitchenette (minus an oven). The hide a bed was HORRIBLE but he other beds were fine.

Huh? I don't know if this was addressed to me but if so I don't understand what you are trying to say. :confused: I don't know what you mean.

Nope not you just letting op know that spring hill suites is the half wall not real suites that she is looking for.

If you find a room, book now. Just make sure to check the cancellation policy. Most hotels will let you cancel with no charge if you cancel at least 24 hours out. Then if you find a better rate, you can always switch.