Menu

I hate wood floors

Last year our dog puked up the biggest, nastiest pile of deer intestines (don't ask) onto our cream-colored area rug.

:rofl: This struck my funny bone because we have dogs, live in the country, and find deer parts on porch all the time. I cannot imagine having carpeting with all that goes on in my home! Pregnant poodle, drooling demented lab, babies, toddlers, teens (yes, they are accident prone), litters of kittens, mud, ticks, you name it!

It sounds like you need some area rugs.

My whole house is hardwoods and I love it. I sit on the floor constantly, my kids play on the floor, etc. We have maybe 3 or 4 strategically placed area rugs and it makes a huge difference in making the rooms warmer and more cozy. Plus they are easier to get clean and when they get really dirty we can just replace them (much more cheaply than wall-to-wall).

:iagree: Our home is custom-built and the first floor is entirely hard surface flooring. We have area rugs in two rooms. I would never want it any other way. No carpet to stain. No carpet buckling. (The upstairs is W2W carpet and has a ton of buckles!) Reduced allergens. Looks cleaner than carpet.

A guy I know who installs carpet says that if there has ever been a pet (or probably a toddler) in the house, there is definitely going to be urine in the carpet and pad, even when the owners swear up and down that their pet *never* has peed in the house. Ick. I want to tear up our carpet at least on the main floor at the earliest opportunity.

I have no desire to live anywhere with carpet ever again. We just closed on a house a month ago, and during our search we skipped right over houses that had carpeting throughout. The house we ended up buying had carpet in the bedrooms and on the stairs, but they will be replaced before we move in. The carpet is already gone, and my hubby is there installing bamboo floors as I type. The pine stairs were actually in great shape underneath the carpet, so I'm going to try painting them instead of spending the money to upgrade them to hardwood.

Don't rip them up! Cover them that way when you sell, the new owners can rip up the carpet and have wood again. :) and yes, get some area rugs. I love wood floors, but you have to have area rugs.

:iagree:

My grandparents' living room was a huge room with a cathedral ceiling (I don't know if it was called that back then, it was just high). It had a wood floor but they had a huge piece of carpet that covered all but about 2-3 feet around the perimeter of the room. I always thought it was pretty neat. The edges of the carpet must have been bound.

This made me smile. My particular wood floors were installed 98 years ago. They've been "in" for a while!

LOL - mine are only 97 years old! :D For us it's about 2 things - well placed area rugs and high quality slippers (I have a winter pair and a summer pair that are more like flip flops). We had a carpeting in most of our old house and I hated it.

I used to love wood floors. I now hate them with a fiery passion. I have pine floors. Yes, pine. They scratch, scrape, gouge and break if you breathe on them. Even with floor protectors, rugs, and no shoes in the house. It's ridiculous. It's also loud, cold, and there is a continuous dust bunny issue. I could vacuum twice a day and I still look neglectful.:glare:

This is me. :glare:.

Can't you get area rugs? Put them in the spots you'd like to be more cozy. The nice thing about area rugs is that you can send them out to be cleaned rather than have the ordeal of carpet cleaning every year.

:iagree:

We have fake wood floors and I love them! Wall to wall carpet hides everything and nothing is ever clean. Wood floors tell the truth.

OP: The same amount of dirt would be on carpets, so why not sweep it up and know your floors are clean?

In our main house we have carpet in most of the house, with hard floors in the entry/kitchen/bathrooms. We have a 2 story entry in the middle of the house and everything echos through there. I thought this house was loud when we moved in.... but then we went to a vacation house.

In the house we vacation at, it is all hardwood except the bedrooms and the main living room. I have bought numerous large rugs, pictures for the walls, and it is still so loud in that house. You can whisper in one room and hear it in the kitchen. To play music we set the volume on the lowest settings. It is very annoying to feel like we are living with a megaphone attached to our mouths all the time.

I like the carpeting better. When we are at the vacation house, I feel like I am constantly working on the floors. My feet hurt unless I wear slippers and it is a lot colder.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I thought this piece was appropriate to our topic:

Why I love Carpet

Buy an area rug you say? Ha! So you admit that carpet is needed for comfort! I find it ironic that most people who put in hardwood floors then immediately bring in a huge area rug to cover it up. It's silly to think that your allergies will be better off with hardwood, if all you are going to do is bring in big squares of carpet. You have to vacuum your area rug, the same as carpet. Plus with hardwood you have to mop, or steam clean, or polish or whatever, all the areas that aren't covered by area rugs.

I've been thinking the same thing throughout this discussion but couldn't quite put it into words.

Why I love Carpet

I've been thinking the same thing throughout this discussion but couldn't quite put it into words.

True, but for starters, area rugs are not as much carpet as w2w would be. Also, when they get questionable, they are much easier to replace than w2w carpeting. In my family room, I have an area rug because, yes - it would be loud and difficult for the kids to play on the bare floor. Also, the area rug has a lot of color and pattern, so stains are never an issue, but they would be with a single-color w2w carpet.

As for cleaning floor and carpet, it's very easy. My vacuums adjust automatically to the different floorings. When I want to mop the hardwood, I just do that along with the adjacent kitchen.

True, but for starters, area rugs are not as much carpet as w2w would be. Also, when they get questionable, they are much easier to replace than w2w carpeting. In my family room,

Yes, I agree. Area rugs are cheaper and easier to replace

I have an area rug because, yes - it would be loud and difficult for the kids to play on the bare floor. Also, the area rug has a lot of color and pattern, so stains are never an issue, but they would be with a single-color w2w carpet.

When I buy w2w I never buy a single color unless it is brown. My other w2w (at the old house) was a marbly Berber. It never showed stains or dirt.

At the new house the previous owner put white carpeting in upstairs. Ugh. But we'll live with it until it looks gross and then switch to something more practical.

The advantage of a rug over carpet is that it can be rolled back and the hardwood floor beneath can be cleaned on a regular basis. I am always surprised when I do that at the amount of dirt and dust and other strange stuff I find under my area rugs. It stands to reason that the same amount will be under the w2w carpeting - the only problem is that you will live with it until you replace the carpet. All those allergens are still there.

Yes, I agree. Area rugs are cheaper and easier to replace

When I buy w2w I never buy a single color unless it is brown. My other w2w (at the old house) was a marbly Berber. It never showed stains or dirt.

At the new house the previous owner put white carpeting in upstairs. Ugh. But we'll live with it until it looks gross and then switch to something more practical.

I have an area rug, in the living room, and the HUGE advantage of an area rug is that it can be moved to clean. If something gets spilled on it, I can roll up the carpet and clean underneath as well. If it's something gross, I can haul the carpet over to the sink and rinse it out. If it gets really gross, it gets replaced. For a replacement cost of a couple hundred dollars at most. I can't imagine recarpeting even a small room with w2w for the price of an area rug. Plus I can take it out back once a year and beat it until the dust stops coming out. That will give you an education in how much cr@p is in a carpet!!

I vacuum the rug daily. I could vacuum it hourly and still get stuff up. Even with daily vacuuming if I roll it up there's always dirt under there.

I feel like my hardwoods may only stay clean for 10 seconds or so after I sweep them (I have three little tornadoes in the house) but at least once a day, they are clean. My carpet never really is.

Why I love Carpet

This is why the only two rooms in our home with area rugs are the two bedrooms. We don't find that it's too loud or difficult for our kids to play on the bare floors. The ONLY time it has been bad was when they are learning to walk and fall a lot. Then they didn't have the soft padding of carpet underneath their little heads if they stumbled. :sad: