Menu

ear protection for 4 year old?

Dh is taking our monster truck obsessed 4 year old to see monster trucks next week. I'm worried about his ears- he seems to be slightly sensitive to loud noises (unless he's the one making them!) Anyway, does anyone have suggestions on what to use on a 4 yo? My husband has earplugs from where he works, but I'm not sure a little kid will be able to keep them in. Thanks!

We have Peltor AO Safety Select Ear Muffs in sky blue. Cheesy as this is, I bought them when we were headed to a concert with our then-toddler-aged firstborn because I had seen a picture of Gwyneth Paltrow at a Coldplay concert, holding baby Apple who was wearing a pink set. :001_smile: Anyway, we really like them. The only trouble is, my kiddos also like to use them around the house; they wear them and scream to one another. It's fairly ridiculous. And loud. Actually, I think I need a set for myself.

Here's a link to black ones (I had no idea Drew Brees endorsed them for his son's use. :001_smile:)

http://www.earplugstore.com/peltor-junior-ear-muffs.html

We have Peltor AO Safety Select Ear Muffs in sky blue. Cheesy as this is, I bought them when we were headed to a concert with our then-toddler-aged firstborn because I had seen a picture of Gwyneth Paltrow at a Coldplay concert, holding baby Apple who was wearing a pink set. :001_smile: Anyway, we really like them. The only trouble is, my kiddos also like to use them around the house; they wear them and scream to one another. It's fairly ridiculous. And loud. Actually, I think I need a set for myself.

Here's a link to black ones (I had no idea Drew Brees endorsed them for his son's use. :001_smile:)

My kids have these too. We use them for firework shows in the summer.

If the in-the ear style (foam,etc) do not fit well, they really are not very effective at all. For that reason I do not recommend cutting them in half and instead would only recommend over-the-head muffs for a very small child.

Kelley

Audiologist in my prior life :)

If you want to go the ear muff route...you can try on pairs from hardware stores or big box stores. The Winchester hunting ear muffs are cheaper than ones designed for tools and adjust well, we have several, we all wear them when the blender or vacuum are running. The Winchester ones we own also protect against a higher decibel level than the ones we bought at a hardware store.

(Our vacuum and blender are both very loud. We have a ninja blender and my husband makes smoothies in them once or twice a week.)

If you want maximum protection, you can wear the foam ones AND the ear muffs at the same time.

Edited by ElizabethB

:iagree:We have the black ones. The kids are content to wear them (even sometimes when the vacuum is on, lol!) Got ours at Amazon.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was a little afraid that everyone was going to be like "Why on earth are you taking a 4 yo to see monster trucks?!?!?"

We have a Gander Mountain really close, I'll be checking them first this weekend and then some of the other stores!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I was a little afraid that everyone was going to be like "Why on earth are you taking a 4 yo to see monster trucks?!?!?"!

Naw...my boys went last year at age 5 and again this year at age 6 :D. I even went with them.

My DH and his dad go to the shooting range so we had all had a pair of over the ear (headphone type) protection for shooting. They worked great!

If they are going on a day when the pit party is taking place, they should go. We did that this last time and had 4 of the drivers autograph their ticket stubs and got pics with them. We don't need to go again next year, but this year was really fun.

Hope they have fun!!!

We have the pelnor ones in bright pink. It was one of the things the OT suggested at DD's evaluation-have a pair available for when SHE chooses to use them. I have some adorable pictures of her at age 2, looking like a tiny Nascar pit crew member :).

We have the Peltor ones in bright pink for dd5. She has sensory issues and they have worked great for her. She wears them to events like fireworks but also around the house for vacuuming or the blender. We have always, AND I mean Always, been complimented on her use of them by strangers. We rarely ever see other kids in them (even at loud events) but people stop us randomly, and say positive things about her using them.

If they aren't cutting enough noise, on very rare occasion, we will add the foam ones into her ears also. It is usually only when she is trying to sleep while fireworks are going, or something like that. They are both not usually needed, but those shows can be so very loud, I would take both just in case..

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

We have the Peltor ones in bright pink for dd5. She has sensory issues and they have worked great for her. She wears them to events like fireworks but also around the house for vacuuming or the blender. We have always, AND I mean Always, been complimented on her use of them by strangers. We rarely ever see other kids in them (even at loud events) but people stop us randomly, and say positive things about her using them.

If they aren't cutting enough noise, on very rare occasion, we will add the foam ones into her ears also. It is usually only when she is trying to sleep while fireworks are going, or something like that. They are both not usually needed, but those shows can be so very loud, I would take both just in case..

Oooh, I love the pink ones (I admit, I love pink everything!) but ds probably wouldn't. I'll look for the blue ones for him. It's always more fun to have things in a fun color!

I've used about everything out there for my son.

the big ear protectors from the hardware store are great. wax plugs can easily be divided in half and molded to fit. if you need to, you can even combine them.