Menu

2 Kindles or 1 refurbished iPad?

Elfknitter.#

I went with a Thrive, so I still get the 10" screen, yet it's still Android OS (I prefer Android, having used both). It's cheaper than an iPad, so you could probably also get a Kindle. :D

The Kindle Fire is nice for portability. It can fit in your purse and is roughly the size of a paperback book. The Thrive has the nice 10" screen, which I really like having for PDFs for school.

The Kindle Fire is nice for portability. It can fit in your purse and is roughly the size of a paperback book. The Thrive has the nice 10" screen, which I really like having for PDFs for school.

It's a lot easier carrying the Fire outside than the iPad. People seem to notice you if you carry a 10" tablet and I'm a low-profile kind of person so I try to avoid unwanted attention.

But I find it really hard to type up long emails on the Fire, but it's almost doable on the iPad.

The Thrive is not that much cheaper than a refurbished iPad :confused:. Did you get it at Amazon? DH doesn't need an iPad, but he could use an android tablet if it's cheap.

It's a lot easier carrying the Fire outside than the iPad. People seem to notice you if you carry a 10" tablet and I'm a low-profile kind of person so I try to avoid unwanted attention.

But I find it really hard to type up long emails on the Fire, but it's almost doable on the iPad.

The Thrive is not that much cheaper than a refurbished iPad :confused:. Did you get it at Amazon? DH doesn't need an iPad, but he could use an android tablet if it's cheap.

My dad got it for me, so I don't know exactly how much he paid. I know it was less than a new ipad. I don't know how much a refurb ipad costs. So yes, they might be similar in price.

Typing long emails... I prefer Swype over individual typing on an iOS device, but it's still not as fast as typing on a keyboard.

I just purchased the nook tablet and rooted it. I now have full access to the android market and all of my kindle books.(with the kindle app) I did a lot of searching before I purchased it. The Thrive would have been my choice if I wanted a ten inch screen, but I have two nice computers that I built connected to flat panel tv's. The thrive is a nice tablet that has lots of ports on the side.(usb, hdmi, microsd card) You can connect the thrive to a flat panel tv with the hdmi connection and view your movies and everything else on the tv. I just wanted a small portable tablet and the nook works perfectly. Btw...the nook can be connected to the tv also with a special connector. If my dd is working on it, we switch to landscape mode which is wide enough for us. At that price...we bought two for the price of one.

The kindle fire can be rooted to give you full access to the android market. Rooting just changes the operating system . It is the same as changing your operating system on a desktop computer.

Hth,

Penny

It would depend on how much reading you were going to be doing. I/We do a lot of reading on the kindle which couldn't be done on the iPad without eye strain. The iPad has many other uses (being able to use PDF curriculum without printing, educational apps, etc.) but I wouldn't want it for a lot of reading.

eta. In case I was misunderstanding what exactly you were talking about I just wanted to clarify that I was referring to the regular Kindle ereader with e-ink vs an iPad with a black-lit screen. If you were talking about a Kindle fire with the back lit screen then I would just go with an iPad, personally.

Edited by SCGS

there are a ton of great apps available for ipad. My favorite is a knitting app that is called knitcompanion. Soooo cool! DH uses garageband for recording church services. The kids play various apps. We use it to face time grandparents that we only see a few times a year. I have nook and Kindle on it for downloading free classics and any other book we might want.

Depends on whether you want something strictly for reading, in which the old-style Kindle (without the backlit screen) can't be beaten.

But if you want to use it for more than just reading, I'd get an iPad in a heartbeat.

I agree. I love my Kindle but all I needed it for was reading books. I will probably get one for DS in a year or so (when I can trust DD not to destroy it). But for everything else, iPad is far superior and we are going to be getting one as soon as the new version comes out in a few weeks.

Just wanted to add that with the ezpdf reader app you can fill in the blanks on stuff like math mammoth on the nook/kindle fire/ thrive. That ability is not limited to the ipad.

Penny

Yep, I love ezPDF! They update it pretty often too, and have been fixing any annoyances I had in the beginning. It's a great app! Very much worth the $2.99. :D

I know that everyone has their favorite, especially apple vs. android. For me, I've been through alot of them: ipod, iphone, nook color (then rooted it), kindle, kindle fire, extensively researched the galaxy tab and asus and finally got a refurbished ipad at Christmas. The ipad is by far my favorite.

I know that everyone has their favorite, especially apple vs. android. For me, I've been through alot of them: ipod, iphone, nook color (then rooted it), kindle, kindle fire, extensively researched the galaxy tab and asus and finally got a refurbished ipad at Christmas. The ipad is by far my favorite.

What is it about the ipad that tops your list?

I just purchased the nook tablet and rooted it... Rooting just changes the operating system . It is the same as changing your operating system on a desktop computer.

Hth,

Penny

Penny,

Can you tell us more about how to do this? Before I got a Nook I'd read about it online and wanted to, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

Thanks!

Nicole

I made my own card using the instructions in the first post of the thread here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1466583

It is not hard to make your own card and wayyyy cheaper. As listed in the directions..you need to use a card that is formated(nothing on it) and make the card bootable, you can unzip the contents of the zip file onto the sd card and then slip it into the nook and boot it up. Follow the install instructions and you are good to go. I am running linux on my machine but they have a link in the first post on how to root using windows. There are lots of directions on the web on rooting that are really old. I rooted mine like three weeks ago with the above direction and have been very happy with the results. Once rooted you will need to download golauncherfx app from android market or app manager from the nook apps to browse all of your android apps that you download via android market. The nook library will not list outside apps so that is why you need either the app manager or golauncherfx.

Please let me know if you have trouble. I may be able to guide you or provide help.

HTH,

Penny

There's a world of tablets beyond the iPad. I have a Le Pan (bought on Amazon). It's an excellent Android tablet that does everything the iPad does but for a third of the cost. The one big compromise is that it lacks memory but buying a bigger SD card solves that issue.

Honestly, my head and wallet hurt (sympathetically of course :)) whenever iPads are bought without people researching the much cheaper options out there.

• 3 months later...

I love my nook tablet. I rooted it and can do anything my sister's ipad does for less than half the price. I borrowed the ipad before I purchased the nook to see if the ipad would be better for me....my husband stayed up half of the night because the light kept him awake. I went for the more compact nook. My girls use it for school each day with no problems.

If I would need a bigger tablet I would purchase an android instead because I like to have usb ports and the ability to add memory cards. My aunts ipad has no usb or slots for added memory.

Penny

Logic ala WTM:

1. All Kindled are not also IPads

2. All iPads are also Kindles

3. Therefore, buy the iPad

Not necessarily true. The great appeal of a proper e-reader is the e-ink screen which an iPad does not have.

I bought a tablet when I wanted an ereader based on the above logic because I found one (a LePan - sold on Amazon) that wasn't much more expensive then a high end ereader. Then I got a free Kindle (just the basic model) a few months later. While the tablet gets used a lot everyone turns to the Kindle when they want to read because it's simply a much better device for that.

Frankly, for the price of an iPad anyone could buy a cheaper Android tablet and one or two basic Kindles or other, cheaper ereader. That to me would be the best choice.

Or wait for the new Microsoft Surface to come out. :drool5:

I have one cheap($99) android ereader and one e-ink nook touch. For reading and battery life the nook wins hands down. It's light, no glare, can read it outside, battery lasts forever. I thought about rooting it, but I use the color ereader for whatever apps/videos/browsing I may need. And I can trust that my dd is reading and not playing games or browsing when I hand her the nook. She does seem to focus more on the books on the nook, where if she gets the android device, she jumps around the various apps a lot more. I've actually been reading more books now that I got a nook.

I'd find an open android tablet with 2.3 or higher for these reasons:

1)

Apple will not run flash with any level of consistency, which can include many ARC based mapping systems, web programs etc...

Apple has become as tight and closed as Microsoft

2) Kindle does not yet have the number of apps available to an open android system, or Apple

3) Androids are pretty open platform, though Google has certainly begun to tighten the market you can still load most educational apps that are available to apple, and still load flash sites.

JMO - I like them all and have everything with exception of a Kindle at this point.

• 1 year later...

Depends on whether you want something strictly for reading, in which the old-style Kindle (without the backlit screen) can't be beaten.

But if you want to use it for more than just reading, I'd get an iPad in a heartbeat.

I hear lots of people say this, but we find there is not enough contrast to read comfortably. My e-ink is 3 years old, but I just haven't used it much for that reason.

Bean

Penny,

Can you tell us more about how to do this? Before I got a Nook I'd read about it online and wanted to, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

Thanks!

Nicole

There are a few ways, this one is good if you want to spend $10

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57572408-251/root-your-nook-tablet-for-as-little-as-$9.99/

This is free but you need to be a tad tech savvy

http://nookdevs.com/Main_Page