Menu

WWYD - Cameras in bathrooms at school?

We live in a poor, rural area. The schools struggle to educate kids (and not just in academics).

There have been problems in my daughter's elementary school (she is in 4th grade - it's K-4). Earlier this year, they announced that students were not allowed to go to the bathroom except during designated times as some students in the 4th grade hall were smearing feces on the walls and writing vulgar messages. Students were checked for pencils before going to the bathroom. My daughter is a good student and basically was exempt from most of this due to having a doctor's note allowing unlimited bathroom usage.

She came home today and said that apparently someone had carved vulgar language in the bathroom stalls (presumably with a knife). The guidance counselor told them that the words were absolutely vicious and the student responsible would be suspended and possibly expelled if they caught them.

To combat the new bathroom problems, the school has stated that if they find any more writing, they will install cameras in the bathroom or remove the doors to the stalls. They are also patrolling the hallways (principal, ass't prin, guidance counselor, etc) and randomly selecting students and asking them to raise their hands (presumably so anything they may be hiding under their shirt is exposed or will fall). Again, for good or for bad, dd10 is seen as a 'good girl' so nobody has asked to look at her backpack or for her to raise her hands, etc. I did tell her to clean her backpack out and be very careful about what she has in there and to keep minimal items in there.

I am fully supportive of efforts to keep the school safe and to prevent defamation of school property. However, I have problems with cameras in the bathrooms or removing stall doors and preventing privacy.

Is this common elsewhere?

I am fully supportive of efforts to keep the school safe and to prevent defamation of school property. However, I have problems with cameras in the bathrooms or removing stall doors and preventing privacy.

I would have huge problems with that, as well. They may be trying to solve one problem, but are also inviting new ones.

None of my dc's have ever been in a school w/o bathroom doors or w/ cameras. However, we occasionally run into no doors parks.

I've heard of this in high schools. More often the no doors policy, but cameras are getting more common these days.

My older dc (8th and 12th) do not and have never used a bathroom in a school building. They homeschooled when they were younger. I don't know how they hold it in all day, but they are not comfortable using school bathrooms. I went to the same school and felt perfectly safe using the bathroom, but that's their choice.

I would be more uncomfortable with the cameras than the doors off. I guess it would depend on camera placement. I suppose if the cameras were just at the door timestamping when a student entered and left that would be ok.

I've never heard of cameras in the bathrooms, I'm sure that's illegal in most places. I could imagine, however, cameras outside the main door to the bathroom, which could monitor who enters and leaves, without actually seeing inside.

YES, or homeschooling.

Actually, we are pulling her out to homeschool next year. I want her to finish out the school year if at all possible.

DH said if they do either to go ahead and pull her. I'm hoping that they are bluffing or won't get around to it until next year.

The high school I went to removed the stall doors sometime after I graduated. I would hope that cameras would not be allowed, by law or at least by the voice of reason.

Personally I think that taking away young people's basic privacy equals treating them like animals, and how people expect that to discourage primitive behavior is beyond me.

Yeah in high school we had bathroom monitors. You had to hand them your hall pass (they were stationed at a table outside the door). They wouldn't always go into the bathroom, but we knew that at any time they might. .

:ohmy:

I am adding: "Do you have bathroom monitors or cameras," to the list of "how to determine if a high school is acceptable" list.

I can't decide which one is worse, feces on the wall or bathroom cameras. I don't think I want to decide either.

Our local primary school (k-7) has had cameras in the bathrooms since 2004, when a little 9 year old was r*ped by a worker on a team doing some renovations. I am unsure if the cameras are only aiming to the wash basins and doors or to the stall. Actually the entire school is covered by CCTV security.

This is one of the many reasons my kids were sent to private schools and that we are now HS.

Also they had a big drug (marijuana) scandal in 2007 and my neighbours 12 year old got involved with the wrong crowd and when he refuse to distribute laced foods to the younger kids then he was beaten up quite bad.

He was given a special dispensation and allowed to finish grade 7 at home. Most of the perpretators got away with it.

The classes are over crowded with 42 to 45 kids for one teacher in Grade 1 and it can go up to 50 kids per teacher.

It is scary to think of what can happen to your children when they are at school.

My son was in a very exclusive (and expensive) private school and some high school kids forced bear down his throat (he was only 7.5 at the time) whilst he was on Risperdal and Concerta. Luckly I picked him up early (no after care that day) and could see that something was wrong and took him to the doctors' office. The doctor almost swore at me and wánted to know why was this child drunk and was telling me how dangerous it was with his meds. Told him this happen at school and I had just picked him up?!

He was ill for a few days. When I confronted the pricipal I was given a blank look and told 'Boys will be boys'...

That kind of sealed the HS decision for me...

Edited by sandst