Menu

Military families: "adopt a soldier" programs...

Yes, they do. :)

Things like snacks, magazines, books, holiday decorations, etc will get shared among groups. My dh still has some home-knit mittens and a hat that some church ladies sent on his first deployment.

But, I agree that the younger service members need those morale-boosters more.

I think, yes, but especially two specific groups:

1. The young 18-20 year old who is away from mama and out in the real world for the first time. They get very homesick and lonely.

2. The deployed member, for obvious reasons.

However, I will say that over the last, oh, five years or so, the way that instant communications have improved have really helped morale. Instant messaging, webcams, videotext, etc... those go a long way to help the loneliness.

Yes, they do. :)

Things like snacks, magazines, books, holiday decorations, etc will get shared among groups.

But, I agree that the younger service members need those morale-boosters more.

I agree. I will add that DH loves to get stuff from school-age children more than anyone else. There is something about getting a letter from a child that makes you feel...heroic? Receiving gifts and letters from adults, church groups, and other organizations makes him feel appreciated but letters, cards, and art from kids makes him feel like a hero. (For the record, he would not use these words. I just know him well enough to use these words for him. ;) ) :lol:

Adding to this, if you see a soldier in person (especially at an airport) and sincerely thank him/her for service, it will be appreciated. Even if the soldier keeps a poker face, he will carry the thanks and appreciation in his heart. Truly. It is important to remember that those in service right now have deployed longer and more frequently than...ever? (Mrs. Mungo, do you have the numbers? :lol:) They are tired and feel completely used up much of the time. Kindness bolsters their spirit.

Calling cards, magazines, video games (for any system, the soldiers all share), movies, air freshener and/or Febreze type products, healthy snacks (nuts, nuts, and more nuts for DH) were my DH's personal favorites to receive.

When my nephew was in Iraq, we would send specific things that he wanted and then we would load up the box with all kinds of extra things that he would share with the other soldiers. I would even ask random military people that I would see at the store (we live near a base) for suggestions to put in the box. He told us it was always appreciated. The kids made a bunch of homemade cards for Christmas and Valentines for him to share. Thanks for reminding me about it; we really enjoyed sending the packages but stopped after he came back. I think we need to start doing it again.

Thanks! OK, so at the moment I've been matched with someone in the Navy and a Marine platoon (or part of one?) of around 30-40 people.

New questions!

Has anyone heard of problems with packages shipping straight from amazon being tampered with?

And a minor debate between my DH and I regarding video games.

My view: Good grief, they're in a WAR ZONE, don't send them war GAMES.

DH's view: They'll love them. Just trust me.

So, who's right? (Regardless, I'm sticking a non-violent game in the box just in case)

Thanks again for the inside view. I am having such a blast doing all this. :)

Thanks! OK, so at the moment I've been matched with someone in the Navy and a Marine platoon (or part of one?) of around 30-40 people.

New questions!

Has anyone heard of problems with packages shipping straight from amazon being tampered with?

So, who's right? (Regardless, I'm sticking a non-violent game in the box just in case)

I sent my DH many things from Amazon and never had a problem.

As far as the video games, anything and everything will be appreciated, including war games. Yes, some of the folks will have had their fill of real life war and will not want war games but there are still clerks, cooks, maintenance folks, etc. who never see any action. :D

New questions!

Yep, your dh is right. Well, at least as far as my ds19 is concerned. He still loves to play those video games even though he is currently deployed.:confused: I told him I don't get it!

My ds hasn't mentioned any problems with package tampering, so hopefully it doesn't happen.

Some things my ds really likes to receive are snack foods of any type, canned chicken or tuna, soup, energy drinks, and lip balm. He is one of the young, single soldiers, so any taste from home is appreciated. It always blesses me when I see people give to our troops.:)

DH has been deployed several times, leaving again in 2013, and I have a girlfriend over in Afghanistan right now (her 3rd trip). Here are some of the things she asked for...

• Panty liners (they're not just for women).
  • Baby wipes.
  • Hand sanitizer.
  • Hard candy (butterscotch, jolly ranchers) in place of bubble wrap. Chocolate melts in the heat.
  • Gum (blister packs)
  • Female-friendly magazines are much appreciated. As you might imagine, there's plenty of Maxim circulating and not so much Mens Fitness or US Weekly.
  • Beef jerkey, chips and all manner of junk food.
  • Lip balm, hand lotions, anti-itch creams, zinc oxide, anything to help deal with dryness and chaffing.
  • Random cards (especially unexpected ones).
  • Single-serve gatorade/crystal light/koolaid packs

Anything you send that they don't want/can't use is usually offered up to others.Oh, and DH just reminded me that junior sailors have very little storage space so travel sizes are best!! (e.g. shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash etc.)

Edited by Sneezyone

* Panty liners (they're not just for women.)

Am I the only one who did not know this? (And am I the only one who still can't figure out precisely what use a man would have for panty liners? :confused:)

I feel like a complete idiot for having asked this, but I don't even want to think about what kind of results I'd get from Googling the terms "men" and "panty liners" in the same search. :eek:

I've sent gift cards that they can either send home as gifts or that they can use to buy something (for their spouse) online and not have their spouse know about it. iTunes gift cards have been well received, also.

(When dh was deployed, I would know about the gifts he bought me before I got the gift because I always got the cc bill. :001_smile:)

Earbuds, puzzle/game books, toys like yo-yos and match-box cars (they can be sent home to dc or given to local kids), and decks of cards have also been well received.:001_smile:

Am I the only one who did not know this? (And am I the only one who still can't figure out precisely what use a man would have for panty liners? :confused:)

I feel like a complete idiot for having asked this, but I don't even want to think about what kind of results I'd get from Googling the terms "men" and "panty liners" in the same search. :eek:

Panty liners are used to line the inside of a helmet and keep sweat at bay. Qtips are good for cleaning guns. Small toys for local kids are great! My friend is working with several local schools. Hmm...I also got a pic of a goat in a tree last week. Maybe said children were responsible? :lol:

I agree. I will add that DH loves to get stuff from school-age children more than anyone else. There is something about getting a letter from a child that makes you feel...heroic? Receiving gifts and letters from adults, church groups, and other organizations makes him feel appreciated but letters, cards, and art from kids makes him feel like a hero. (For the record, he would not use these words. I just know him well enough to use these words for him. ;) ) :lol:

Adding to this, if you see a soldier in person (especially at an airport) and sincerely thank him/her for service, it will be appreciated. Even if the soldier keeps a poker face, he will carry the thanks and appreciation in his heart. Truly. It is important to remember that those in service right now have deployed longer and more frequently than...ever? (Mrs. Mungo, do you have the numbers? :lol:) They are tired and feel completely used up much of the time. Kindness bolsters their spirit.

Calling cards, magazines, video games (for any system, the soldiers all share), movies, air freshener and/or Febreze type products, healthy snacks (nuts, nuts, and more nuts for DH) were my DH's personal favorites to receive.

:iagree:My husband still has a letter he was sent from a 3rd grade class last year.

The other things they like are baby powder, and baby wipes from what I've heard. Also, sports magazines are popular (ESPN, golf). The ones I've sent hubby says get passed around all the guys in the division, it helps them keep up with what's going on over here. Other than that I mainly send consumable things, food, calling cards, letters, like a PP said the individual packets of Gatorade or Crystal Light are also a really good idea.

WHen the war in Iraq was ongoing, we were doing care packages with my husband's unit for members of that unit plus family members of that unit who were deployed. We put in tampons for all the people- why? They are extremely good for stopping bleeding in puncture wounds or other wounds with holes.

Another thing they wanted was Gold Bond powder for their feet.

My dh is active duty and travels a lot- normally out of uniform. But the few times he has traveled in uniform. he has gotten thanks in the airport. Yes, he does like it- not so much that they are thanking him but rather he is always thinking that if they thank him, they probably also thank the young soldiers and airmen and sailors, too.

We are an active duty military family and Soldier's Angels is my favorite organization.

http://www.soldiersangels.org/

Soldier's Angel's has a motto of "May no soldier go unloved". Our local SA branch works hard in our area, but also supports the SA division that makes packs to send overseas to troops in the war zone and to troops stationed around the world.

As for the video games, your DH is right on that one :) Some of them have access to new gaming stations, and they do play war games.... In fact - they don't play much of anything else.

I wouldn't worry about the content of the package much - what they like is that they are being remembered. That people know they are there. It is easy when you are not military to kinda forget - or at least let it slip in to the background.

As for magazines, movies, etc.... be kinda careful. If customs decides to go through them, and they are in a Muslim country - things like Sports Illustrated, or pg-13-ish movies could get confiscated. The squadrons aren't as picky once it gets there.

Where DH goes, they always have a home-grown library, so any used (or new) books would be very appreciated. Always good to have something new on the shelves.

In all our years, I've only had a few packages get opened by customs, so it isn't a huge risk.

I wanted to add another possibility here - adopt a young spouse :)

Some of these young guys have only been married a few months and then are yanked away from 6 months or a year. The new spouses are in a new state, new friends, no family, and are sometimes only 18 or 19 yo's.

I know churches near bases usually run some kind of support for spouses. I wish I had more leads on how this works - but boy - I know a lot of young spouses who would have appreciated some chocolate and tea, and a card with "hang in there" in it :)

The only thing I can imagine is sticking them sticky side to the helmet and using the liner to catch sweat so it doesn't drip into the eyes.

When my brother was in Iraq he really appreciated ALL the boxes filled with stuff. He enjoyed the letters and pictures from the kids. He also loved it when we sent him life cereal. My favorite letter from him was him thanking us for it.

I wanted to add another possibility here - adopt a young spouse :)

Some of these young guys have only been married a few months and then are yanked away from 6 months or a year. The new spouses are in a new state, new friends, no family, and are sometimes only 18 or 19 yo's.

I know churches near bases usually run some kind of support for spouses. I wish I had more leads on how this works - but boy - I know a lot of young spouses who would have appreciated some chocolate and tea, and a card with "hang in there" in it :)

I want to hear more about this. How would I find a spouse (or three) who could use a little encouragement? The nearest military base is about an hour and a half away from us. Do you think the local recruiters could point me in the right direction?

I *love-love-love* doing this type of thing (encouraging, small gifts and just generally loving on people in tough situations). Almost nothing makes me feel more alive.

I want to hear more about this. How would I find a spouse (or three) who could use a little encouragement? The nearest military base is about an hour and a half away from us. Do you think the local recruiters could point me in the right direction?

I *love-love-love* doing this type of thing (encouraging, small gifts and just generally loving on people in tough situations). Almost nothing makes me feel more alive.

Mission-heart-hug is an organization that sends care packages to military spouses. You might check with them. :)

http://supportmilitaryspouses.org/get-involved/pack-a-shoebox-send-a-heart-hug/