Menu

17 month old climbing out of crib?

ACK! My 17 month old is climbing out of her crib. And not safely. She's done it several times and we'd moved things to make it more difficult, but she keeps rising to the challenge. The crib has an attached set of drawers that she can get on top of. (the side of the drawers makes up one side of the crib- it's designed to become a twin if you take the drawers off and use them for a night stand) Anyway- Babies R US doesn't seem to know what a crib tent is. I can find it on Amazon, but I'd rather be able to go out and buy it today. Any ideas of stores that I might find this at? I live near a decent sized city where I can find most chain stores. Thanks!

Oh, if anyone has any other ideas on keeping her contained, that would also be fantastic!

Neither BRU nor Wal-Mart where I live sells crib tents. Do you have a Right Start store close to you? That is where I have bought crib tents.

My 3 y.o. still is in a crib tent because she has a developmental delay and needs one for her safety. Unfortunately, she has good fine motor skills and has managed to destroy the zipper in her attempts to escape twice now. I'm hoping the current one lasts until she outgrows the need to be in it.

Have you ever used sleep sacks? You can find them in toddler sizes, plus they're safer than blankets anyway. Not sure that it would keep a detemined child from escaping the crib, but it might.... (Something like this one [saw it on Etsy], if you don't know about sleep sacks.) I think Target carries sleep sacks, maybe Walmart. Not sure if they stock ones big enough for toddler sizes, though.

Also, I always left a huge stack of baby books in the end of the crib. When my dc would wake up, they would spend a long time, sitting & looking at the books, talking to the books (:lol:) before wanting out. Maybe something like that would help distract her?

Ah! Sleep sacks! Surely I've got one of those somewhere and that will at least work until I can figure out a more permanent solution. I don't really want to put the mattress on the floor because I can't be positive that the 4 year old hasn't left anything tiny laying around. They share a room and it's the biggest one- lots of toys are stored in there. I had never heard that crib tents were unsafe......guess I'll be researching options!

Also, I don't think a toddler bed would really be all that safe for her. She often wakes up and talks/sings to herself in the middle of the night. If she could just hop up and do whatever..........who knows what she might decide to do at 4 am. If I could take EVERYTHING out of her room, that would be one thing. But she shares a room with the 4 year old and it's a BIG room (supposed to be the master) with LOTS of stuff.

We had to do a toddler bed for DS at that age for the same reason. I would leave a few toys on the floor for him and put everything else either up high or in another room. He didn't learn to open his door until almost 20 months... at which point in time, all Hades broke loose, and his sleep problems became blazingly apparent. Since there's a big kid in the same room, I'm not sure how well it would all work, but I don't think you're going to be able to get a tent and have it work safely. :grouphug:

Also' date=' I don't think a toddler bed would really be all that safe for her. She often wakes up and talks/sings to herself in the middle of the night. If she could just hop up and do whatever..........who knows what she might decide to do at 4 am. If I could take EVERYTHING out of her room, that would be one thing. But she shares a room with the 4 year old and it's a BIG room (supposed to be the master) with LOTS of stuff.[/quote']

Could you set up a toddler bed in your bedroom just until she's a bit older?

Crib tents aren't safe. Kids have strangled in them in the past.

The remote possibility of strangulation in a crib tent (which I cannot imagine how that could even happen) is much less of a concern for me personally than the very real risk of my special needs toddler climbing up on a dresser or a bookcase or other high furniture and falling off. I bought the crib tent after I found her on top of a dresser. Thank goodness she didn't hurt or kill herself before I discovered her up there!

The remote possibility of strangulation in a crib tent (which I cannot imagine how that could even happen) is much less of a concern for me personally than the very real risk of my special needs toddler climbing up on a dresser or a bookcase or other high furniture and falling off. I bought the crib tent after I found her on top of a dresser. Thank goodness she didn't hurt or kill herself before I discovered her up there!

This one looks to be very safe. The netting extends all the way down the sides, and would prevent the child from getting trapped.

I would definitely get the crib tent. I only wish there was something big enough for my 3 yr. old.

My 15mo twins haven't done it yet, but I'm sure they will (they are crazy climbers, and very tall!!). I'm very concerned about the safety of crib tents, so I will probably just empty their room and put them in toddler beds (or mattresses on the floor) at that point. I'm just hoping they will be past the pulling hair phase before they get to the climbing out of the crib phase.

If you can't empty the room, I'd put the toddler bed in a different room - like my own, lol. That way you can keep an eye out. She can go back in with the 4yo when she's matured a little more.

Edited by AdventureMoms

This one looks to be very safe. The netting extends all the way down the sides, and would prevent the child from getting trapped.

I would definitely get the crib tent. I only wish there was something big enough for my 3 yr. old.

I can't find a link? I'm trying to picture what you're saying here. I know one of the suffocation incidents involved the child getting trapped between the mesh sides (the part that hangs inside the crib) and the mattress. I'm not sure what the design would look like to prevent that.

Why couldn't your 3 year old sleep in a crib with a crib tent? My kids were in their cribs until about 4 or 5. They fit and the beds took up less room so they stayed in them.

Cribs used to be called 7 year cribs as many kids stayed in them MUCH longer.

Well, tonight I put her in a pack n play. The sides are taller than the crib, so hopefully her legs aren't quite long enough to climb out of it yet. If she does, it's significantly lower to the floor. We may be moving rooms around this weekend......even though I really don't want to do that.

My ds climbed out at 14 months. I moved him to a bed on the floor. He was a crazy kid obviously but he did great in a bed. He didn't wander the room or get into trouble but it was childproofed just in case. He shared the room with my dd who was 3 at the time. I closed the door and he could not reach or open doors at the time. I had to sit with him again to put him to bed at first but he eventually was able to put himself to sleep again. Bonus was he started sleeping better. He just didn't like the crib and co sleeping did not work because he was too wakeful and wiggly. I think it was easier to do it while he was young.

Edited by MistyMountain

We put crib tents on the twins cribs when they were 16 months for that exact reason. The way ours attached there was no way for strangulation to happen. It also zipped from the outside and there was no way for them to unzip it. We ordered from diapers.com and they deliver the next day if you order by 5pm.

I like you was not comfortable at all with the toddler bed at that age because I knew they would not stay in them. We finally put them in toddler beds right before their second birthday, and shortly after that we removed the beds and put the mattresses on the floor. My little boy twin thought it was great fun to stand the beds up on the headboard with the foot part straight up in the air and try to climb the slats like a ladder. :001_huh: