Menu

How much for TOG?

TheAutumnOak

If you use Tapestry of Grace, how much does it cost you?...I was looking over my budget spreadsheet for next year and I estimate TOG will cost me over $1000, probably closer to $1200 :willy_nilly:...Is that crazy, or are others spending similar to use TOG?...I am planning to buy most of the books as I am not sure depending on the library will work for us...The major price is for the books...

We could really stand to save a few bucks this year...DH would rather I buy the books than the library not have them, or I somehow not have what I need...At the same time, DH would love if I could spend less this year...Having the books on hand has worked out beautifully this year, I am just wondering if I am paying too much for convenience or if ease of use is worth it?...I love being prepared with all of the books, I just don't want to waste the family's money...

Any thoughts?...Can you tell I feel guilty about the whole thing :001_unsure:

I haven't bought it yet but have budgeted on a spreadsheet multiple times. By using Powell's Books, Amazon, Christian Book, and then ordering from TOG on the ones that weren't cheaper I was able to do it for just over $700 (had I ordered it all that day a few weeks ago) for two levels but that was year one not year two. Using DE +print and then just about everything else. I think it really depends on what you can find where though. I was willing to do used and like Powell's better than Amazon. Don't know if that helps at all :001_smile: (I spent WAAAY too much time hoping I could do TOG this spring btw)

I have to use the library for TOG or it would be too expensive. It's strengh IMHO lies in a lot of living books, but that is also where the cost is. Using a textbook or a few big spines would be significantly cheaper, but that is not what we love to actually use.

Sonlight is in the middle with a few bigger spines, but also a lot of books. It just adds up fast on those books.

I am buying the dialectic books used. We will also read the books that are online, online. I get SOTW and can use that when the books are not at the library for the lower levels. I am filling in with Sonlight books that I already own for my UG student's literature. We are using just the Withrow church history books altogether. I think I will spend between 150-200 on books.

Yes, I added up next year's costs and they are similar. However, as you and a pp said, i spread the costs out, by ordering a unit at a time as well as trying to buy used as much as possible, and setting up a borrowing system at the library. (we can reserve books online and schedule holds on books) I have been able to snag some for $.01 here and there, or less than a dollar with minimal shipping--works out that the seller ends up paying you to read the book!

Personally, I think it is well worth it to plan to spend approximately 2K on my kids' education per year. When I consider the cost of a private education or tutors or the cost in social / educational / emotional damage that sending them to school would do, I can bear it.

I find that many of the books TOG uses are available at the library, because they are classics. Just today, I checked out Call of the Wild. (I actually have it somewhere at home, but don't want to find it...:D) I am only going to buy the spine for each subject, and maybe a few of the missionary books. I will look for them used. Everything else is either something I have or something I KNOW the library will carry.

There's no way I'd spend 1K on TOG. I am too cheap, I guess! lol

I even got a discount on some of the units because I got them on sale.

I haven't bought it yet but have budgeted on a spreadsheet multiple times. By using Powell's Books, Amazon, Christian Book, and then ordering from TOG on the ones that weren't cheaper I was able to do it for just over $700 (had I ordered it all that day a few weeks ago) for two levels but that was year one not year two. Using DE +print and then just about everything else. I think it really depends on what you can find where though. I was willing to do used and like Powell's better than Amazon. Don't know if that helps at all :001_smile: (I spent WAAAY too much time hoping I could do TOG this spring btw)

Do you mind sharing your spreadsheet? I have no idea where the cheaper prices are. I plan to buy most books. I will be using Year One when we start in a year or so.

Also, what is the best place to buy used TOG books? That could cut the cost at least 25%.

I haven't ordered for next year, Y4 for us. In n no way did I spend anywhere near that amount for Y2, or Y3. I did buy the books for D for this year and each unit I pick up a few for the LG/UG that I really want. I primarily use the library for UG and LG. At that level if my library doesn't have what I need then there is usually something that I can substitute that will work just as well. I am only worried about exposure at that level.

I didn't spend anywhere near that. We are in an area where I can access 2 different city libraries easily. I copied the list of required and recommended reading last year when planning and searched each of the libraries, noting which ones have which books. I bought the books that were to be read over a long period of time, the ones I really thought we'd like, and those not available at the libraries. I probably purchased about 8-10 books for this year. Even some of the books that weren't available I didn't buy if I found reasonable substitutes.

After noting the libraries where the books are available, I went through my TOG manual and initialed the library by each book. I now will look ahead several weeks at a time and put books on reserve as I need them. It takes very little planning after the initial organization of it. Honestly, I wouldn't spend $1000 on books unless I didn't have the library resources.

This type of planning isn't for everyone but I love knowing I'm saving money and don't really mind the hassle. I know it's not practical for some. :001_smile:

Wow, that is a lot! The price of TOG has gone up considerably these past few years. I am debating whether to purchase the next year we need, or do something less pricey. I'm leaning toward doing something else as I have a hard time justifying the cost. We would only be using it for one year at one level.

We, for the most part found the books at the library. It hasn't been a problem getting them when we needed them. If a certain book wasn't available, or the library didn't have it I'd just substitute it for another book. Most of the required books are about a certain period of history, or about a certain person, etc. Those books can easily be substituted. The only ones that can't are the literature books, but like I said, most, if not all of them I was able to get at our library. There have been only a handful of books that I bought and I usually found a used copy of them.

I had a planning time in the summer when I looked though the library to see which books they carried and which they didn't. I made a note of that and as we got close to the different TOG weeks, I referred to that list and either went to library and got the books, put them on hold if they weren't yet available, or bought them.

I don't mind looking and don't find it overly time consuming to search our online library catalog, or peruse an online book dealer for a used copy, but everyone isn't me. Some like to have everything all together so they can pull the books they need for the week from their shelves. You just have to decide which way will work best for you, your family and your budget. Enjoy TOG as it's a wonderful ride! I will really miss using it this next year.

Yes, I added up next year's costs and they are similar. However, as you and a pp said, i spread the costs out, by ordering a unit at a time as well as trying to buy used as much as possible, and setting up a borrowing system at the library. (we can reserve books online and schedule holds on books) I have been able to snag some for $.01 here and there, or less than a dollar with minimal shipping--works out that the seller ends up paying you to read the book!

Personally, I think it is well worth it to plan to spend approximately 2K on my kids' education per year. When I consider the cost of a private education or tutors or the cost in social / educational / emotional damage that sending them to school would do, I can bear it.

After reading your posts, I feel guilty about the money I spend. You ladies are quite thrifty! I do try to save money where I can, but this is for EVERYTHING for two children for a whole year, not TOG alone. We are also blessed financially to be able to afford this.

Don't feel bad at all! We are making large changes in our lifestyle and budget to make it possible for us to get all of our TOG books, and the quality of curriculum we want for all of our children. It will be a HUGE sacrifice this year, but I a, not going to feel bad about it at all. I will feel blessed. And thankful. I used the library for years and spent so very little on curriculum. I am over the moon to be able to make it work to own our TOG books. We will be doing TOG for at least the next 18 years. Having the books will be GREAT!

Don't feel guilty if you have the money to make what you feel are the best choices for your kids.

addall.com has a great search function that searches both Amazon, Powell's, and many, many other online bookstores. I use it exclusively when looking for my tog books USED that I can't get from the library.

As to the cost, if I had it I would spend it... loving tog. :-)

next year I am doing DE year 4, and only buying what I can't get from my awesome library.

Edited by lcelmer

The first year, I purchased all my books. It really helped me get through the fog by not adding the element of requesting books at the library and hoping they would be available the week I needed them.

This year, we cannot afford to purchase all of them, so I will buy the core books and check out the others from the library. I am a lot more comfortable now substituting books for ones they have suggested if the library doesn't have one.

Another option is to look out for lots of used books. Some are sold used, for example, for all LG, UG, dialectic, or rhetoric books that are needed for the entire year.

A benefit of buying the books is that the children always have access to them. Mine often get them off the shelves well before we introduce the new unit and are familiar with the subject before we even start!

My kids are reading books at the lower and upper grammar levels of TOG. I buy the books that are family read-alouds and that are used for multiple weeks. Otherwise I check out titles from the library. I spend a long day planning each unit 2-3 weeks before we start it and I use the library website to create a list of hold requests for each week. Then every week I get online and activate the hold requests for the following week. Our library has had most of the titles I need or suitable alternatives. I only occasionally end up ordering something (usually used on Amazon) that I feel would be too good to miss or that I feel we'd enjoy reading again. I haven't kept tabs on everything I've spent because I spread it out over the year, but I know it's not in the thousands. With a little effort and a decent library, this system has worked very well for us. My kids and I love TOG!

Don't feel guilty if you have the money to make what you feel are the best choices for your kids.

:iagree:There have been years we have spend a lot more. I made the choice to use curriculum that is non-consumable and we are now beginning to see our return on that choice. We don't want to discuss what I spent on those years. (Remember, I own SL K-100 :blush:.)

We saved money on TOG this past year by:

1) Using the library (This is easier for us than most, because my dh works at the library. I request online, and he brings them home.)

2) buying used

3) sharing with a friend (She & I sat down with the spreadsheet, decided which books we needed to purchase, and then tried to split the list as evenly as possible. We trade in the middle of every week.)

4) We are substituting many of the history books that are only used 1 or 2 weeks with anything we can get our hands on.

Still, my knees quiver every time I think about next year, because I'll be looking at 3 levels. Yikes!

You ladies have put out some great ideas. I'm so thankful our kids are close enough in age that I don't have to buy over multiple levels. Our library is pitifully small, so we check the used bookstore and buy books I know are coming up (even if we aren't even close yet) and then proceed to online buying. Also, for LG I have no qualms about substituting titles.

I don't use TOG, but have been able to find a lot of books at garage sales, craigslist, etc. Another resource to consider is college bookstores. They often have sales at the end of the semesters to clear for the next book inventory. I picked up great translations of The Odyssey and other classics for about a $1.50 each.

Another resource is the college's school of education. Many of them have their own libraries, and have excellent elementary and upper level fiction and non-fiction resources available. We were able to get a non-student card and they had a very liberal date of return.

Many weeks in yr one had budget hints. Which book worked well for LG + UG or UG+ D.

Even when we were doing LG I focused my limited $ on UG spines and a few choice read alouds 3 weeks+ in use.

LG is very easy to substitute. UG easy in History, harder in literature, find your own questions to discuss. D getting harder even in History.