Another name choice poll

Which do you prefer?  

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Not-So-Plain Jane
    • Love (that lotion) Potion #8
    • (coco)Nuts For You
    • Unscented Hand & Body Lotion
    • Other - make a suggestion

Yes, that's a common assumption. But everything smells like something- even water can have scent, like sulphur or crisp, fresh mountain spring. Even air smells- think about the differences among a fall, winter, spring, and summer day.

There are some lotions that have close to an undetectable scent, which is important to my family, which has a couple members who are hypersensitive to smells. That's what I am looking for when something says "unscented."

My suggestion would be Naturally Nutty lotion since it is natural and it smells nutty.

I also would expect the (coco)Nuts for You to smell like coconut. And as another poster mentioned I would expect the unscented to not really have much of a scent at all.

I voted for Not-so-plain-Jane. After I read your description of the lotion, it seems to fit and I think it's kinda cute :) .

I think it is all about finding your target audience.

When we were at the Renaissance festival, we did a lot of educating customers about our products. We started getting return customers, and a lot of follow up web orders because they liked them so much.

Every once in awhile, there would be people who really got the whole company philosophy, and it was gratifying to see them so enthusiastic about what we are making.

Then we started doing a sunday market close to home. It is pretty dead. People want a bargain, not necessarily high quality. They are not our ideal customers, but I'm committed to stick it out and help build the market up because it is our own community.

We were pursued by a Saturday market almost an hour away. We tried it last weekend. It was insane. Those people were ON FIRE for our products. We never had to explain why they were superior to grocery store products. They never asked how much anything was. They just started arriving on their bikes at 7:30 am, and filled their reusable bags with product, them paid with a fist full of $20 bills.

If we commit to that market, sales there alone could pay the feed bill, and buy new materials and have some left over to reinvest in the company. It was quite eye opening.

I'm working on displays this week. Wish me luck. I'm going to just walk into an antique store and believe I will find a 3 tiered cake stand in depression glass to put bath bombs on.

There are some pictures on Miss Good's Dancing Dog Dairy Facebook page. I'll post pictures this weekend of the new table set ups if you are interested.

One question I have about your question :D

Do you have a brand name? I love the name 'Not So Plain Jane' as a brand name - then you could have specific names for specific products if you choose to make different scents/items.

So 'Not So Plain Jane - Naturally Nutty body lotion' would be the entire product name. Then you could later have 'Not So Plain Jane - Tranquil Tea Tree body lotion' etc.....

Exciting to start a little business from scratch!! Good luck!

One question I have about your question :D

Do you have a brand name? I love the name 'Not So Plain Jane' as a brand name - then you could have specific names for specific products if you choose to make different scents/items.

So 'Not So Plain Jane - Naturally Nutty body lotion' would be the entire product name. Then you could later have 'Not So Plain Jane - Tranquil Tea Tree body lotion' etc.....

Exciting to start a little business from scratch!! Good luck!

Ooh. I like this idea!

I went with other

Slightly Nutty

Natural and Warm

Unscented Hand and Body Lotion

I would use Slightly Nutty as the main product name. We always hear jokes about how we are a little nutty with how picky I am about products. A lot of people who use natural products have been called nutty or nut jobs at some point. I would love a brand that just embraced that. So next time my Dad is teasing me and calling me nutty, I can pull out my hand lotion and say "Yep, and they make a product for just for nutty people like me!"

I wouldn't buy anything that smelled nutty unless it was just coconuts. There are too many nut allergies and I think it has to do with the fact that it's in everything, even things that aren't edible. Not saying yours would, but a lot of health and beauty products do have nut ingredients. We don't even have to deal with nut allergies anymore, but I still don't buy that type of stuff.

Can you put on the bottle that it smells naturally nutty? I can't stand the smell of nuts. It literally makes me nauseous. I would want prior warning.

LOL, good point. I was going to say a nutty name would scare me off, but trying to hide it would piss me off! So a warning to steer clear would be nice!

Yes, I do plan on labeling it with a descriptive blurb mentioning the natural scent. It's hard to describe. We use unrefined coconut and sunflower oils in it, so it smells a little like sunflower seeds, and a little like coconut, and they combine to smell...warm (nutty is as close as I can get)

If it does't contain nuts you shouldn't call it something nutty. You are going to terrify people. Really. If it's coconut, you need to make that clear.