Menu

Charlotte Mason Curriculum

Sade

What CM curriculum do you use or do you develop your own curriculum?

I'm still in the researching stage for this Fall, but it seems a bit overwhelming, so I am glad I have time to prepare.

My ds will be 8 and in the 3rd grade in September.

Currently we are using WWE I and SOTW and would probably stick with those. I definitely need guidance in other areas, though.

Thanks so much!

I am not good at building my own curriculum, so I went with Living Books Curriculum. I just switched from HOD Preparing. The daily boxes were not working for me and I wasn't feeling the love with the science. I used my own Math and LA. So all that was left was history and Bible and it felt like I was changing too much of it around.

Anyhow, I am on the 1st week of LBC. I can tell you so far what I do like and that is the mixture of American and World History. I like the book choices for the 4th grade year (the year we are using) I combined the 2 kids ages 9 and 10 in LBC's 4th grade year, but they have their own individual math and LA programs. I just combine them in everything else ie. history, music composers, science, poetry, picture study and Bible.

The lessons are short. The guide is a guide and not very detailed like HOD, but so far I think that suits me better as the teacher. I can add things on and go at a faster pace or slower and for me not feel bad for not checking off wach box, because there are no boxes. But that is me :001_smile:

That is what is going on in this house right now :)

We use Ambleside and HIFU as our "main" programs. You can very likely "mesh" those with SOTW, though you will sort of have to "reconstruct" since most CM curricula are built around the history component. SOTW is used in some CM curricula, so it's definitely CMish.

Feel free to send any CM curricula ?s my way.

HTH,

SuperDad

I like Charlotte Mason Help (Linda Fay's site), Childlight USA and especially Ambleside Online, but we follow my own curriculum ideas. I'm reworking my blog with my curriculum ideas (A Mind in the Light). I'm going to set everything up under individual studies by time period, civilization and for science I will have it divided up by topic. I hope to create at least 4 levels within every study. I have a lot of work to do with it, but this is where I'm going. I'm also hoping to create Book Notes for the majority of the books used.

We do a mix of things, as well. I don't know if I could keep up with the amount of reading in AO ... we used some of SCM this year ... like their history module 1 and Apologia Science. We will use some living books for History next year and Apologia again.

We use a mish-mash of curricula/books....but remember: CM is a philosophy-method, not a book list. The book lists are nice as jump off points, but it is how you USE those books. I use lots of WTM suggestions, Ambleside, Veritas Press, and this year we are using Sonlight Core W. I am a CM teacher, but not necessarily using CM advertised products.

Faithe

We use a mish-mash of curricula/books....but remember: CM is a philosophy-method, not a book list. The book lists are nice as jump off points, but it is how you USE those books. I use lots of WTM suggestions, Ambleside, Veritas Press, and this year we are using Sonlight Core W. I am a CM teacher, but not necessarily using CM advertised products.

Faithe

Same here. I use suggestions from all over the place, but use them as CM materials, so yes, I build my own curriculum.

Just want to add that several members are going to be reading through CM's "School Education" (vol. 3) starting with Preface and Ch1 on Saturday on the Middle School/Logic age board. It might prove interesting for those who want to learn more about CM or to remember what they read long ago. Part of the goal is to examine the middle school level curricula ideals with the idea of practical planning for the logic stage years in mind.

Faithe

Oh, thank you! I was trying to think of how to say that!:)

I also make up our own curriculum based on the following booklists and resources (ds is 8, dd is 4, going to be homeschooled at 5):

Tanglewoodeducation.com (mix of CM and classical)

Books Children Love

Penny Gardner's List of Living Books

When Children Love to Learn

CM's Home Education

A Charlotte Mason Education

The Well Trained Mind

What I actually pick and choose is in my siggy. At first, I used to do Poetry every day, and do Picture Study and Composer Study during the week. Now I find that putting all these subjects on Fridays works better for us. We have activities starting at 3:30 (dance, taekwondo), so we don't have all that time. I want to have school time from 8:30 to 12:30, then free time until 3 (the time where we start leaving). If I had all the poetry, art, etc. too, we wouldn't get to the activities in time. I feel these are also an important part of dc's education. I feel that with dance, taekwondo, and tennis with Daddy, ds is getting his physical fitness needs met, and he's much happier as a result.*Dd loves her ballet as well. I've just started teaching them piano on alternating days.

I'm reconsidering WWE now and just using the Complete Writer as a guide, but doing narration and dictation CM style.

In the beginning, I started out with mostly CM ideals. Along the way, I found myself gravitating towards classical and eventually mixing the two. However, I find myself moving away from classical and embracing Charlotte Mason more again. More and more, I find out she was right in many, many, many (yes, truly) ways. Her methods are truly inspiring, and IMHO just aspiring and striving towards her lofty and wonderful ideals is giving your children a quality and inspirational education.

An integral part of a CM education is quality over quantity - having the child truly interact with the material in a personal way, not throwing lots and lots of things at him and hoping some will stick. I'm also learning (with experience) to be a better teacher and learning what works for each child. I think we parents are in a unique position to offer this, and we should trust our love for our child and instincts when it comes to their learning.

I'm ready to jump in deep again. Is that CM social group still active?

Edited by sagira

Lindafay's site is great!! Others I've used in varying capacities over the years: Ambleside Online, Teaching Children (K-6th curriculum guide by D. Lopez). I don't know that these are marketed as CM, but they are definitely whole books, living books approach: Sonlight, Beautiful Feet.

And then there are some resources for specific subjects like grammar: PLL (I used it for a little while), FLL. Another option that I haven't used: Karen Andreola's Simply Grammar

HTH!

I am highly influenced by Charlotte Mason, and use quite a bit of amblesideonline. I use it as a framework, substituting books as I wish.

Also, I have 3 dc very close in age (but far apart in skill and maturity) so I have to tweak a bit here and there b/c they all 3 listen to pretty much everything I read aloud.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update. I've received my copy of Teaching Children, which I'd considered buying years ago. I wish I had. It's pretty interesting. There appear to be tons of cheap used copies. I paid $3.99 total (inc s&h) from Alibris.

Plus it solves a big part of the mystery of the Childlight curriculum I've been wondering about forever.

Although, the biggest surprise was at the back when the authors heartily endorse Calvert and say it's very similar to CM, just add in religious studies. Who knew? Not I.

Over the years I have used a variety of materials in a CM manner, I try to loosely blend CM, WTM, and a few other methods. Once you get the feel for a CM education, you can use almost anything, as mommyfaithe and others pointed out. Even Calvert, I suppose, although I haven’t tried that one.

I have made up my own studies and we have used WTM recommended materials, AO, SL, Winter Promise, Oak Meadow, Beautiful Feet and more. You can get many ideas for literature and livings books from all of these different resources, as well as the many that were pointed out. Then you just need to read about the method.

Just immerse yourself by reading about the CM way and you can use a variety of things as well. Have fun reading and browsing booklists.

Edited by lovemykids

I did not read all the way through, but in response to your literature questions ...

I found Gilgamesh at Beautiful Feet.

Memoria Press - I like these very well. They are not compounded with busy work. While classic-styled, they are decidely the a great alternative to not having a guide at all.

Queen Homeschool Supply has some interesting resources that are very CM, but also very Christian.

Visit HERE for more CM links.

• 3 weeks later...
I like Charlotte Mason Help (Linda Fay's site), Childlight USA and especially Ambleside Online, but we follow my own curriculum ideas. I'm reworking my blog with my curriculum ideas (A Mind in the Light). I'm going to set everything up under individual studies by time period, civilization and for science I will have it divided up by topic. I hope to create at least 4 levels within every study. I have a lot of work to do with it, but this is where I'm going. I'm also hoping to create Book Notes for the majority of the books used.

Wow, thanks!