Menu

another "would you eat it" question

I made homemade chicken broth 2 weeks ago. (it will be 2 weeks on Sunday). I put it in the fridge, intending to take it to our downstairs freezer but I forgot all about it. Can I still freeze it for another time? Would you use 2 week old broth if it's been refrigerated the whole time?

Nope. Refrigeration slows the growth of germs but doesn't stop it. Broth is a meat product so I'd go no more than 3 days...

Rapid boiling for 10 mins or so WILL kill the bacteria but won't destroy the toxins that the bacteria produced during the two weeks.

Here's an analogy.

Pretend that food is a nice yard. And the harmful bacteria in the food is a pack of dogs in the yard. Well, these dogs are capable of doubling in number every 20 minutes (but they are a bit slower than that because they are cold...).

You want to go out and enjoy your yard (eat the food...) but the dogs are everywhere and your immune system, while it doesn't demand sterile, needs food with no more than a little harmful bacteria.

Anyway, you can take out your shotgun (boiling) and kill every last dog. Okay, the dogs are gone.

The problem is, your yard is covered in dog doo. That's the toxins. The dogs are killed and gone, but the dog doo is still there. Boiling is like killing the dogs but it is not like scooping poop. The toxins (bacteria waste) are still there.

So, boil the broth all you want, but if there was bacteria there for any length of time, you have the toxins (dog doo) that they made. You cannot kill the toxins. Plus just like dog waste, the toxins ruin the quality of food. If this were not true, you could buy a side of beef, keep it on the counter for a year and simply cook it really hot whenever you wanted a beef dinner. The cooking would kill any bacteria and the beef would be good! However, you cannot keep a side of beef sitting on the table for weeks or months (or even a day) without it deteriorating! Toxins are work.

So, toss the broth and make more or buy more. If you make more, immediately freeze what you don't need.

Edited by Bassoonaroo

No, sorry, I know how awful it is to forget to freeze the broth after all that work, but it's just not worth your family's health when realistically you can buy a box of it for a couple of bucks, KWIM? Next time set your kitchen timer for an hour and freeze it when the timer goes off.

Nope. Refrigeration slows the growth of germs but doesn't stop it. Broth is a meat product so I'd go no more than 3 days...

Rapid boiling for 10 mins or so WILL kill the bacteria but won't destroy the toxins that the bacteria produced during the two weeks.

Here's an analogy.

Pretend that food is a nice yard. And the harmful bacteria in the food is a pack of dogs in the yard. Well, these dogs are capable of doubling in number every 20 minutes (but they are a bit slower than that because they are cold...).

You want to go out and enjoy your yard (eat the food...) but the dogs are everywhere and your immune system, while it doesn't demand sterile, needs food with no more than a little harmful bacteria.

Anyway, you can take out your shotgun (boiling) and kill every last dog. Okay, the dogs are gone.

The problem is, your yard is covered in dog doo. That's the toxins. The dogs are killed and gone, but the dog doo is still there. Boiling is like killing the dogs but it is not like scooping poop. The toxins (bacteria waste) are still there.

So, boil the broth all you want, but if there was bacteria there for any length of time, you have the toxins (dog doo) that they made. You cannot kill the toxins. Plus just like dog waste, the toxins ruin the quality of food. If this were not true, you could buy a side of beef, keep it on the counter for a year and simply cook it really hot whenever you wanted a beef dinner. The cooking would kill any bacteria and the beef would be good! However, you cannot keep a side of beef sitting on the table for weeks or months (or even a day) without it deteriorating! Toxins are work.

So, toss the broth and make more or buy more. If you make more, immediately freeze what you don't need.

How are you going to eat your chicken broth and not think about eating doggie doo? :lol::lol:

Good analogy, btw. Very descriptive. :D

No calls to 911 necessary!!! Thanks everyone--I'm going to toss it! I hate when I do something like that. I was so proud of myself for stretching a whole chicken like that, but you're right--not worth it!! I'll blame this one on pregnancy brain and try not to do it again!!:tongue_smilie:

No calls to 911 necessary!!! Thanks everyone--I'm going to toss it! I hate when I do something like that. I was so proud of myself for stretching a whole chicken like that, but you're right--not worth it!! I'll blame this one on pregnancy brain and try not to do it again!!:tongue_smilie:

Hey, what you did is nothing! After Passover one year, we left a bunch of matzo ball soup in our basement refrigerator for 6 months! Ick!